Video Essays on film and gaming

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
Indigo Gaming's been making a documentary about the cyberpunk genre, from its origins, common themes and tropes, and the developments it's undergone throughout decades of fictional works in the genre across all types of media. Planned as a four-part documentary, they've currently released the first two.

Cyberpunk Documentary PART 1:

PART 2:

Part 3's out!

Mobius Stripper

perfectly normal human worm baby
AKA
PunkassDiogenes
So I finally jumped on the Squid Game bandwagon. I tend to gravitate toward characters on the morally-gray-to-bad side of the spectrum, not because I think good characters are boring, cheesy, or otherwise inherently non-compelling, but just because they tend to be written that way. Then there are times when a really, truly good character pops up in a sea of moral grays and just lights up the whole sky. Whose goodness and humanity are so forceful that it slaps the cynicism right out of you. One example of this kind of character that always comes to mind for me is Dr. Krakower from the Sopranos, who has does it with only one scene in the whole show. Ji-yeong was another one of those rare characters, and this video does a great job of explaining why.

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I loved Turning Red. It's probably one of my favourite Pixar movies. The weird takes about it are baffling imo.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
ngl the nolan quote about 'substandard theatres' kind of irks me. not everyone can go to an imax screening with atmos sound. i think there is a cinema with an imax screen where i live, but it's not that convenient to get to. plus i go to a smaller independent cinema often, which probably doesn't have the highest of high end sound systems. and i live in a fairly big city, i imagine it's a lot worse in smaller cities/rural towns and such. do you just not deserve a decent experience in those case?

Shadowfox

Tim Cain's youtube channel has some really neat stories and insights into the making of games that he'd been involved in like the original Fallout, Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, Arcanum, and Temple of Elemental Evil.

The Origin of Dumb Dialog:

I loved the variety of dialog options in Fallout and Arcanum. They really added so much to my experience with those games, and the interactions they wrote for low intelligence PCs in particular are hilarious.

(On a semi-related note, I really, really miss Troika Games.)

Shadowfox

The 5 Sony PlayStation Ads that Changed Gaming​

This is a fairly old vid, but still one of my favourites. Kim Justice discusses the 5 most notable TV ads for Sony's original bagel toaster.

Top Bottom