• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Vote for the most memorable moment of the Compilation of FFVII.

What is the most memorable moment of the Compilation of FFVII?

• The DC ending with Vincent and Lucrecia in the cave

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • The death of Aerith in the Forgotten Capital

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Cloud throwing Sephiroth into the Mako pit in Nibelheim

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Tifa helping Cloud piece together his memory in the Lifestream

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Zack's death and Cloud inheriting the Buster Sword

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Cloud snowboarding through the Gaea's Cliffs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cloud and the others meeting Vincent the first time and him speaking of Lucrecia

• The crossdressing escapade in Wall Market

• The final battle in FFVII between Cloud and Sephiroth in the Lifestream

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • The firing of the Sister Ray while it's hooked up to Midgar, killing Diamond WEAPON.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • The final battle between Cloud and Sephiroth as shown in ACC.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Sephiroth's revival in ACC.

• Zack's DMW destruction during the final battle against the MPs in CC.

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • The Kalm Flashback battle with Cloud and Sephiroth, where they both fought the green dragon.

• The scene where Barret watches Dyne commit suicide in the Corel Prison.

• Red XIII learns the truth about his father in Cosmos Canyon and sees Seto cry tears while petrified.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • The ending of FFVII where Red XIII appears 500 years later with two cubs looking on a Midgar.

• Cid and the others finally launch into space and save the Huge Materia from the rocket.

• The rescue of Aerith from the top floors of the Shinra Building.

• The scene where everyone returns to the Highwind after being ordered to determine a reason to fight.

• Cloud falling from the No. 5 Reactor and crashing through the roof into Aerith's church.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cetra29

Final Fantasy Freak
AKA
Cetra, cetra1, Cetra29, Sephiroth
Yes, because you're rambling incoherently.

Epic is not synonymous with 'I like it', Cetra.

You are really funny.

Seems like you don't know that there are many words which are used for slang or for meanings they hadn't first, so is "epic" one of these words. Just try to correct every single youtube comment where "epic" is written and which isn't 100 % correct because of your "explanation".

I do know the real meaning of "epic". So don't worry.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
You are really funny.

Seems like you don't know that there are many words which are used for slang or for meanings they hadn't first, so is "epic" one of these words.

No, see I am familiar with those uses, and yet most of the scenes you mention fail to have the sense of 'epicness' in either formal or informal sense.

Just try to correct every single youtube comment where "epic" is written and which isn't 100 % correct because of your "explanation".

And yet I bet most of those slang uses tend to have the same basic sense of grandeur in them, 'That was epic' speaks not simply of approval, but is also a statement of the qualities of 'that.'

I do know the real meaning of "epic". So don't worry.

Did I say you didn't? I said you were calling things epic that really aren't. Let me distinguish this. Zack's CC fight verse the Shinra MP corps- epic. Man faces down enemy after enemy to save his friend and make it home to his honey, yet fails.
Zack's demise, touching, emotional, has massive impact, currently winning the vote for most memorable moment of the compilation- decidedly not epic, though it is a scene that would fit in an ongoing epic. It's small scale, personal, focusing on Zack's demise, Cloud's assumption of his legacy, and Aerith's reaction to his death.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
You know, with the hugely skewed results we're getting now, we my have to have a run-off just to find the top 10. Too many nominations are only getting 1 or zero votes.

You should've split the first polls up into two or so, really :monster:. But go for the top 10 this time 'round - the ones that aren't getting any votes or just one obviously didn't have an impact.

geostigmaZack

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Voting for Zack's death and Cloud inheriting Zack's sword. . . That's the only part where I actually became really sad. . . so yeah, i vote for that. . .LOL!!

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Just so you know, we're gonna list all the moments on the front page article after the votes. Even if they didn't make the top ten. So if your moment doesn't make the cut, don't feel discouraged. We still are going to want to hear your thoughts. ^^

Baldy

000 - 000 - 009
AKA
Sienna, Jenovas-Fifth, Idris
Zack's DMW destruction, hands down.

At first I read through them all and thought "HOLY HELL SO DIFFICULT" but I stopped and thought a minute, and realized that it came down to about three scenes: Aerith's death, because I was young and impressionable and shell shocked for the entirety of disc 2; Zack's DMW destruction because to this day it always makes me cry (which is a bitch to play through XD) and then the Wall Market event.
Just because.
As long as we're speaking strictly "memorable," then Crossdressing!Cloud would be my second choice, because even though it has little to NO relevance to the main plot of FFVII, I can never resist adding it into my explanations when I give synopses to friends. :awesome:

Strife88

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Has to be Aeris' death!! Its what draws everybody deeper into the story! The questions of what might have been and leaves you wanting more AND REVENGE!!
And I found it really difficult choosing just one moment!! They all rule!!
Should but up a poll of best music track in the game too!! That'd be fun!!

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
FYI, this poll will be open for another 4 days. I think a week is more than enough time to collect the necessary amount of votes.

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
I ended up voting for Zack's death. Aerith's death is a close second and then I also love the ending to DoC (probably one of the few peeps who do XP). Zack's death though because I cried so goddamn much over it when I saw it. Other ones I liked too but that one took the cake.

EDIT: Poasted this on the wrong thread XD iz fixeded nao.

~ SoS

TheMadHatter

Banned
AKA
Not Sure - guess the movie.
I thought when they killed Diamond Weapon was pretty memorable. So, I voted for
The firing of the Sister Ray while it's hooked up to Midgar, killing Diamond WEAPON.
. It was awesome looking and for that, I re-did that scene by resetting the playstaion :P

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
I am a traitor.

I nominated one and voted for another.

I personally believe that a memorable moment is something that you can instantly identify as an important part of a game. Thus, the single most identifiable thing to FF7 IMO, is Aerith's death.

C'mon, even newborns know about it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well, guys, I think we're going to have to restart this whole damn process. Having now read what Xcomp has translated of Case of Shin-Ra so far, I'm thinking we're missing at least a couple of the greatest moments on that poll -- this is the best "Case of..." story already.

Too late to start the poll over? :( Yeah, yeah. I know it is. Ah well.

But, seriously, Case of Shin-Ra is kicking ass. And Xcomp is taking the names.

EDIT: By the way, when you get to page 3, use the drop down box on the left to move to page 4. There isn't a working button at the bottom of page 3 to move on.

Last edited:

KissTheRain

reality is a prison
AKA
jailbait
I voted for Cloud meeting Aerith. Just when I think of VII that scene comes into play a lot, idk. Maybe because the ambience of the scene is quite different from the rest of the game and I'm a fag for pretty scenes which it was indeed.

Though, I sobbed buckets at Zack's death and a few tears came for Aerith's, but I was more upset for the latter tbh just since Zack's was longer and had voices, rain, and tears from Cloud it tore my heart.. Oh and the scream added a lot on it too, same with the flashbacks.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Woah, I can't believe Aerith's death is not winning. It's probably "the" moment in FFVII, and is one of the most recognizable scenes in gaming, at least for RPGs, to the point where "Aerith dies" became a joke. I thought it was the most pivotal scene in FFVII, even the situations leading up to it felt emotionally charged (the mysteriousness of the Temple of Ancients, Cloud beating her, her goodbye in his head). And fighting Jenova with Aerith's theme, hell yes.

The only other one I considered was Zack's breakdown of the DMW, it was a powerful scene, and very well executed. Zack's death was cornified a bit at the end, but I'll be damned if I didn't get a bit teary eyed with the "Hellooo" memory.

Ans Fair

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Indeed I cried when Aerith die and Zack's DMW destruction begins me heart broken, but Zack's death is the most moment I never forget. The first time I beaten CC, I cried for the whole night:( I love him so much.... Even when I watched the FFVII version, I couldn't stop crying.

I believe everyone loves Zack :D

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Hmmm...95 voters. It'd be so nice if we could get 5 more votes to make it a perfect 100. XD

There's only one more day on this poll, FYI. After that, I'm gonna close it. I think after that, we're gonna do a short run off for the moments that got the least amount of votes, before finally ranking everything and moving on.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
So, should I write my section now or wait for the end of the voting?

Last edited:

Smaddy

Green Mage
I think the thing with Zack's death is, it's so much more realistic looking. Cloud's reaction is also pretty heart-breaking.

Putting aside the fact that I've seen the Aeris death scene tons of times, it's somewhat cartoony looking, so it doesn't impact you as much nowadays. I think if they remade this in a realistic style like the Zack scene, it would make an even bigger impact.

I saw someone use a mod for FF7 PC version to get rid of the little chibi-sized characters and replaced them with a more realistic, detailed version... and even that had an impact.

Just to be safe-- I'm not trying to cheapen Aeris' death scene, and I understand I'm comparing technology from 1997 to technology from the late 2000s -- trust me, I played FF7 when those graphics were pretty much the top-of-the-line.

With all that being said, Aeris' death scene is more memorable to me personally.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Everyone, writing them up now would make it easier. The sooner they're all done, the sooner it can get posted on the front page ^^

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Alright then.
Zack's demise and the inheritance of the Buster sword is the most memorable moment of the compilation for various reasons. To go into them all would take far longer than I'm sure everyone wishes to read, so I'll only go into a select few, the reasons that are true of both the original version, and the version presented in the end of Crisis Core.

The viewing of Zack's demise shows us a man, trying to get himself home to his girlfriend and to safety, but moreover, it showed us a man who was going to make sure his comatose friend made it to safety too. It showed us a man, within miles of his goal, who is nevertheless fighting, to the death, to save that friend even as it means he cannot return to the woman he loves. It showed us a man who died so that his friend could survive.

Nextly, it shows us death comes to everyone, and by any hand. While Aerith's demise was memorable, it showed us that the final boss of the game could kill someone, what Zack's demise showed us was that death could come at any hand, even the hand of the MP grunts you fight at the very beginning of both FF7 and Crisis Core. It made you appreciate the exploits of the hero more, because it highlighted their fragility, and made their deeds the more impressive because of them. It also added a further point to the suddenness and the sadness and brutality of death, both in FF7's recollection by Cloud in which the MPs finish him off once and for all with a riddling of machin gun fire, and in Crisis Core's version with Cloud's scream and Aerith's shock.

But lastly, it is memorable, because while it highlights the sadness and brutality of death, it also shows us that death is not truly the end. In FF7, this was Cloud holding the Buster sword and telling Zack he would live on for him. In Crisis Core, this was the hand grab with Angel, Zack's calling Cloud his living Legacy, and in both cases, Cloud managing to walk standing up only after taking up the Buster sword, and renewing Zack's struggle towards midgar. The passing of the Buster sword isn't just a handing of a weapon on, or a keeping of a memento, but a passing on of honor and dreams, just as with Angeal and Zack before, and as a continuation of Zack's role as a hero through Cloud. It is not the end of Zack's story as a hero, but as Cloud notes at the end of Advent Children Complete, it is the start of one. His.

Before Crisis Core, Zack's death and the passing of Buster was a scene that gave a little bit more information on who Cloud was trying to be, on why Cloud reminded Aerith of her old boyfriend, and on how Cloud came to be in Midgar's slums after Nibelheim.
Now, it is the defining point between the two major eras depicted in the Compilation, the capstone to the themes of life and death that prevail throughout the series, and as the end of Zack's life, but not yet the end of his story.

And Quex, what ARE you gasping at?

Last edited:

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
I don't understand how Aerith's death isn't in the far lead. I'm not sure everyone is considering the word "memorable" fairly. It doesn't mean "which scene still makes you cry?" or "which scene was the most cinematic?" or even "which scene did you like the best?"— all factors that most of the replies on this thread are speaking to.

If that many people truly found Zack's death more memorable than Aerith's death, then I have to wonder how many people voting actually played CC before FF7. If you played FF7 first, and played it when it was new, Aerith's death was a tragic shock, and Zack's death was a nice portrayal of something we already knew happened for 10 years.

Aerith's death is one of the most memorable moments from any RPG. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be so tired of seeing/hearing about it. And the poll really isn't asking which scene is the freshest and most novel approach to depicting a death scene.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom