We have a new front page design!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Lex and I have spent the last couple of hours updating articles to fit our new theme. It's a slow process but because we don't want the site to be offline for any great length of time, we've decided to go live and continue fixing things up afterwards. Check it out! (Give it a no-cache refresh with Ctrl+F5 if you're still seeing the old site or the "down for maintenance" notice, or if something just looks weird.)

If you haven't already done so, you can leave feedback right here or in the comments section of the announcement article.

This thread should eventually be merged into the site design thread – I just thought this would get some more attention in the meantime. :)

Edit: I had better post this before I forget. For the time being, whenever you publish a new article, make sure you tick the "show this post in main slider" box (reference picture), otherwise it won't appear on the front page. I've already asked the Fraction theme developer if it's possible to make that the default, but if it's not, I can probably come up with a workaround.

Edit 2: People with social media access, please spread the word!

Last edited:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Great to see it finally launched. The layout looks fresh and exciting. I know that there's still a lot of work to update the old articles, but great job guys.

Appreciate your happiness Shad but I'd temper it somewhat before you look at the state of the Unused Text series XD.
I still got the article HTML copies from when Fangu helped fix the Unused Text articles in the test version for me. I'll copy-paste those tomorrow and see how much gets fixed. =)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Oh fuck me you just went ahead and did it, :monster:

I love it, <3. Thanks for all the work you guys put into it over the past ???? year or so?

Remind me to do a round of optimizations tomorrow; there's a lot of static assets that can be minified and shit. Don't worry, I won't change anything in the site, I'll look into using google's pagespeed module or something.

Should also look into getting https and http/2 up and running, that should help with lots of smaller resources too.

Fangu

Great Old One
@Shad, it seems like the CSS I added to the styles.css sheet via the admin panel (Editor) on the test site has been overwritten. I'll need to dig it out of the Site Design thread and add it to the file, both on the test site and production site.

Edit: Found the CSS

Code:
/* Used for Shademp's Unused Text articles */
--------
#unused-text th, 
#unused-text td {
	padding: 2px 5px 2px 5px;
}

#unused-text table {
    margin: 0 0 1.625em;
}

#unused-text td {	
	border: 1px solid;
}

Adding it to test nao.
Also added to production.

Edit: Shademp, if you add the <div id="unused-text"> wrapper now it should work. (Don't forget the </div> closing tag.) See http://test.thelifestream.net/ffvii-the-original/final-fantasy-vii-the-unused-text-series/part-9/.

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
Ah, yep, I edited out that part.

All you need to do now is add the wrapper. Also, not sure if updating Fractions will overwrite style.css? Worth looking into. Or, rather, just pay close attention to the Unused Text pages when updating, if they start looking funky that snippet of CSS will need to be added again. (Appearance > Editor > style.css).

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
@Shad, it seems like the CSS I added to the styles.css sheet via the admin panel (Editor) on the test site has been overwritten. I'll need to dig it out of the Site Design thread and add it to the file, both on the test site and production site.

Edit: Found the CSS

Code:
/* Used for Shademp's Unused Text articles */
--------
#unused-text th, 
#unused-text td {
	padding: 2px 5px 2px 5px;
}

#unused-text table {
    margin: 0 0 1.625em;
}

#unused-text td {	
	border: 1px solid;
}

Adding it to test nao.
Also added to production.

Edit: Shademp, if you add the <div id="unused-text"> wrapper now it should work. (Don't forget the </div> closing tag.) See http://test.thelifestream.net/ffvii-the-original/final-fantasy-vii-the-unused-text-series/part-9/.

That CSS is still there: click and search for "unused text". You could have asked. :P

Edit: There are five stylesheets in our custom theme. I'm guessing that what happened is you only checked style.css when it's actually in post-style.css.

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
It appears Fractions has split the CSS into different classes since I last helped out with this in July. In July, there was no specific style sheet for posts, iirc. So I checked the style.css file and the custom CSS was missing. It's not weird to assume adding that piece of CSS would be forgotten :monster:

Anyway, whatever.

Shademp, let me know whenever should you need more help with your articles.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Fraction hasn't split anything; I have. :P I appreciate you trying to help out, anyway. I still need to consult you on a few things.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Looks great on mobile!
Good; I spent a lot of time on the test site making sure the mobile layout looked good but I hadn't thought to check it out on the production site. Whoops. :monster:

I notice the Youtube videos are too wide on mobile. This is a reminder to myself to fix that.

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
The new frontpage site layout looks terrific. Well done guys! Only one small thing that I noticed, I couldn't locate any of the podcasts very easily. There didn't seem to be a direct link to them that I could find. Maybe I just missed it?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
No, I don't think you missed anything. There's no direct link to any podcast episodes on the front page at the moment because there haven't been any podcast episodes in quite a while. It might be worth making a permanent podcast bit &#8211; the top menu is still far from finalised, it could go there, or on the sidebar &#8211; but only if we start making regular episodes again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom