Charles Mingus - The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive Ass Slippers

love at first listen.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Charles Mingus - Adagio ma non troppo

Holy shit. This composition would be a noteworthy achievement even if it were actually a composition. However, it's not technically a composition, since the entire thing is based around a song Mingus improvised at the piano, an instrument he didn't even usually play. Let My Children Hear Music (if the whole thing maintains the quality of the first two tracks, which I have no doubt it will) and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady firmly establish that Mingus was legions ahead of almost any other musician of the 20th century, possibly including Miles Davis. Just spellbinding.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Charles Mingus - Mode D - Trio and Group Dancers / Mode E - Single Solos and Group Dance / Mode F - Group and Solo Dance

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Sonic Youth - Within You Without You

I can't think of a more fitting Beatles song for them to have covered, and they did a superb job adapting it to their style while remaining faithful to the spirit of the original. I don't know why I didn't bother listening to this earlier; I've had the album forever.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Everybody Loves Me - One Republic

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Chris Squire - Hold out Your Hand

It's rather distressing how many prog fans, even fans of Yes, don't even know this album exists. A lost masterpiece.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Miles Davis - Mademoiselle Mabry

It's rather disturbing how many fans of Miles' electric period seem to it started with In a Silent Way. In reality there are two electric albums before it which, while not quite up to the standard of Silent Way, Bitches Brew, and Jack Johnson, are still superb records by any objective standard. Plus Nefertiti is basically a proto-electric record; it has the same attitude as his electric stuff even though there aren't any electric instruments on it.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
An Aptly Fictional Description
The Number Twelve Looks Like You

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Änglagård - Jordrök

Pretty damn great, even if it's not terribly original in style. Then again it's still fairly original. Unless you're a complete hack like Yngwie Malmsteen it's pretty hard to play music this complicated without being at least somewhat original.

Top Bottom