What are you listening to?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Joy Division - [Heart and Soul CD2 #14] The Eternal [6:07]

I'm having a hard time thinking of a better album than Closer. That I identify with it so much emotionally right now is a bad sign.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
"Unfinished Sympathy" is a masterpiece. That whole album is great.

Shining - [III: Angst, självdestruktivitetens emissarie #06] Fields of Faceless [10:21]

Kvarforth takes himself far too seriously but he has produced a considerable amount of damn fine music. Especially Halmstad. Though he kind of painted himself into a corner with that because he's never going to top it and everyone is going to be negatively comparing everything new he releases to it.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
There are a lot of facepalm-worthy aspects of Kvarforth and his music. His philosophy is ridiculous. The only thing that makes him less absurd than nsbm guys is that he's not actively trying to oppress anyone; he's just passively encouraging destructive behaviours. To be fair, his philosophy isn't very far removed from the philosophy of Euronymous towards the end of his life, who basically took For The Evulz to the extreme. This is a current that's existed in black metal for a long time and it's one of the most stupid things about the scene (alongside nsbm obviously, which we can probably blame mostly on Euronymous' killer Varg).

And that's not getting into their ridiculous antics in live performances (although again, they have pretty strong precedent in Mayhem, which did many of the same things except the kissing other guys).

At the end of the day though, the only thing that really matters to me is whether I find the music any good. The first two albums are pretty rote Burzum worship that has never resonated with me (there is much better Burzum worship out there, like Nyktalgia's two albums), but after that point they began finding their own sound and it's the sort of thing that, in the right frame of mind, I find invigorating. It's the sort of thing for which you have to be in the right frame of mind though. If you're not morbidly depressed, you'll find the whole thing laughable. However, when I am morbidly depressed, it resonates with me as few other things do, and I find that strangely comforting. Knowing that I'm not alone in my misery somehow makes it easier to keep living, no matter the intentions of the band's frontman in making his music.

I also don't really get the "depressive black metal" label. Their music obviously is depressive but it really hasn't had anything more than superficial characteristics in common with black metal since the fourth album. Everything they've done from IV on is just pop/prog metal with weird vocals. They have more in common with Opeth than they do with Mayhem now, weird ideologies and live performances aside.

Wolves in the Throne Room - [Celestial Lineage #06] Astral Blood [10:02]

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Walknut - [Graveforests and Their Shadows #04] The Midnightforest of the Runes [4:30]

Man, I forgot how great this album is. This is one of the few albums that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Forgotten Legends. Too bad it doesn't look like they're ever going to do another album - I like this project a lot more than anything else any of them have done.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Shining - [In the Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be a Monster #01] Goretex Weather Report [5:00]

Listening to the other Shining now. Quite a bit different :monster:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
The Stars (Are Out Tonight) - David Bowie

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Finsterforst - [Weltenkraft #01] Des Waldes Macht [5:31]

There need to be more accordion metal bands.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Napalm Death - [From Enslavement to Obliteration #16] Practice What You Preach [1:25]

goddamn, this album is amazing. The Swans tribute that leads it off is perfect and it doesn't let up from there.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
^Amazing song and band

Immortal - [All Shall Fall #03] Hordes to War [4:32]

I think I'm gaining a new appreciation for melodic black metal in my old age. I always liked this stuff but it's nonetheless grown on me a lot.

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Absolutely.

Manilla Road - The Dreams Of Eschaton

Even though it has a riff obviously ripped off from an Angel Witch song, it still has some of the best vocal lines ever recorded in metal imo... "The World Committing Nuclear Suicide" "The Antichrist will come and rise up through the sea" "Remember well my friend a warlord never cries" Just so epic and badass.

Lex

Administrator
The radio has decided that Taylor Swift gets to annoy my ears.

OOOOOO and now it's euphoria. Thank you radio <3<3<3

Top Bottom