• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

What are you reading?

AKA
Alex
Yeah, she's got a lot -- I've recommended to a couple of friends that if they decide to get into her work, they should either go for the Myths series she did (Penelopiad/Hag-Seed), Journals of Susanna Moodie (which is basically just a bunch of short poems with accompanying serigraphs) or her newest book, Dearly (which has a number of poems focusing on aging, death and acceptance). Blind Assassin is fairly good as well. There's also a recent title I picked up recently from her, "In Other Worlds: SF and the Human Imagination," that goes into her thought process on writing some ideas and concepts that's quite good as well.

I've been relatively focused as of late on trying to get signed copies of a couple of her older titles -- just got a 4th printing copy of The Circle Game a couple months back for a mint. I consider her works great "investment" pieces as well.

Last edited:

BlueCollarNerd

Pro Adventurer
My favorite book Arundel by kenneth roberts. Ive read it many times and always recommend it. I might be a little biased because the beginning of the book takes place in my home town during the 1700s. I love hearing of the relationships between the native americans(abenaki) and the settlers. Reading about areas that i still travel, swim and fish. The story then goes onto a describe the battle of quebec durring the revolutionary war, but its all the hardships and struggle on the way that i really enjoy. Its a good reminder of how easy everything is now.

Mobius Stripper

perfectly normal human worm baby
AKA
PunkassDiogenes
I somehow *just* got into Gillian Flynn (yes, I have never been on time to a pop culture party in my life). I have read her first two books, Sharp Objects and Dark Places, and now I'm going to tackle Gone Girl. She's a woman after my own twisted heart. Our brains were grown in the same vat. Where have you been all my life, Gillian?

Ghost X

I really want to find a particular book from my childhood. I think it would've been published in the 1980s at the latest, as I'm pretty sure that's when I recall seeing it as early as. I have completely forgotten the story, but remember at least a couple of illustrations. I recall them being representative/realistic in nature. Part of one illustration on one page, coming towards the viewer from the centre and out to one side of the page (either bottom left or bottom right) were a series of lions jumping out of the previous lion's mouth. On the other side, same thing, but with another animal, iirc. I think on another page, perhaps horizontally (from either left-to-right, or right-to-left on the page) were similar repetitions of a crustacean of some sort, and I'm leaning towards it being a lobster. The book was full of really cool illustrations like that (though not just repeating animals, iirc), and I'm wondering if it rings any bells with anyone. If there was any typing on the page of the illustrations, it probably would've been minimal, like a typical children's picture book, or on a completely separate page. If it rings any bells, even better if you can recall the title, would be most appreciated. Hopefully not a rare one. The quality of illustration would have me surprised if it was a limited release and/or not being well-known, but then again I can't say I recall seeing another copy aside from the one I had.

D

Deleted member 13557

Do audiobooks count?

Recently listened to “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” for the first time. Pretty harrowing stuff, especially with the narration of Harlan Ellison. The guy gave his all and then some.

It’s a 40 minute listen on YT - I’d say it’s definitely worth your time.

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
I just finished The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy for our book group. I'd never read Hardy before, all I knew is that my mum loves him and her best friend thinks he's a "boring old perv". It had some gorgeous descriptions of woodlands and woodland crafts, was a much easier read than a lot of 19thC lit and the story challenged the perceived ideas about the sancticity of marriage in a way that would have been really shocking at the time. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would!

Hastur

The Yellow King
AKA
The Unspeakable One, He Who Is Not to be Named
Thro’ the ghoul-guarded gateways of slumber,
Past the wan-moon’d abysses of night,
I have liv’d o’er my lives without number,
I have sounded all things with my sight;
And I struggle and shriek ere the daybreak, being driven to madness with fright.

I have whirl’d with the earth at the dawning,
When the sky was a vaporous flame;
I have seen the dark universe yawning,
Where the black planets roll without aim;
Where they roll in their horror unheeded, without knowledge or lustre or name.

I had drifted o’er seas without ending,
Under sinister grey-clouded skies
That the many-fork’d lightning is rending,
That resound with hysterical cries;
With the moans of invisible daemons that out of the green waters rise.

I have plung’d like a deer thro’ the arches
Of the hoary primordial grove,
Where the oaks feel the presence that marches
And stalks on where no spirit dares rove;
And I flee from a thing that surrounds me, and leers thro’ dead branches above.

I have stumbled by cave-ridden mountains
That rise barren and bleak from the plain,
I have drunk of the fog-foetid fountains
That ooze down to the marsh and the main;
And in hot cursed tarns I have seen things I care not to gaze on again.

I have scann’d the vast ivy-clad palace,
I have trod its untenanted hall,
Where the moon writhing up from the valleys
Shews the tapestried things on the wall;
Strange figures discordantly woven, which I cannot endure to recall.

I have peer’d from the casement in wonder
At the mouldering meadows around,
At the many-roof’d village laid under
The curse of a grave-girdled ground;
And from rows of white urn-carven marble I listen intently for sound.

I have haunted the tombs of the ages,
I have flown on the pinions of fear
Where the smoke-belching Erebus rages,
Where the jokulls loom snow-clad and drear:
And in realms where the sun of the desert consumes what it never can cheer.

I was old when the Pharaohs first mounted
The jewel-deck’d throne by the Nile;
I was old in those epochs uncounted
When I, and I only, was vile;
And Man, yet untainted and happy, dwelt in bliss on the far Arctic isle.

Oh, great was the sin of my spirit,
And great is the reach of its doom;
Not the pity of Heaven can cheer it,
Nor can respite be found in the tomb:
Down the infinite aeons come beating the wings of unmerciful gloom.

Thro’ the ghoul-guarded gateways of slumber,
Past the wan-moon’d abysses of night,
I have liv’d o’er my lives without number,
I have sounded all things with my sight;
And I struggle and shriek ere the daybreak, being driven to͞ M̲̖͊̒ͪͩͬ̚̚͜adnesŚ͖̩͇̗̪̏̈́ with F̀ri̍̈́̂̈́ght.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon. I was surprised it was good, and then I was annoyed with myself for being surprised it was good. I read the foreword written by the author in 2019, and her turn of phrase in the introduction was enough for me to think 'this is going to be good, isn't it?'

Top Bottom