What did Aerith think of?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
This is something that's bothered me on and off since the game came out, after meeting Rufus on top of the Shinra building:

(They all head back down to the 69th floor, but Cloud. Aerith pauses on the way out.)

Aerith: "Cloud... I just thought of something."

(Tifa goes back to Aerith.)

Tifa: "...I'll wait for Cloud! Everyone, get to the elevator!"

(They all head back toward the stairs. Tifa stays in the doorway.)

What was it that Aerith thought of? Was it something to do with how she knew Cloud wasn't himself? I'm just confused because it never seems to be brought up again, or at least it isn't urgent enough for her to say what it is there and then. Has anyone got any idea what it might have been about? Or was it just a contrivance to force you to fight the heligunner with Aerith, Barret and Red?

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
This is something that's bothered me on and off since the game came out, after meeting Rufus on top of the Shinra building:

(They all head back down to the 69th floor, but Cloud. Aerith pauses on the way out.)

Aerith: "Cloud... I just thought of something."

(Tifa goes back to Aerith.)

Tifa: "...I'll wait for Cloud! Everyone, get to the elevator!"

(They all head back toward the stairs. Tifa stays in the doorway.)

What was it that Aerith thought of? Was it something to do with how she knew Cloud wasn't himself? I'm just confused because it never seems to be brought up again, or at least it isn't urgent enough for her to say what it is there and then. Has anyone got any idea what it might have been about? Or was it just a contrivance to force you to fight the heligunner with Aerith, Barret and Red?

I think it's just a product of a poor translation. I THINK the idea is that Aerith's realizing he shouldn't be left behind on his own, and Tifa saying she- the trained combatant- will do it while another trained combatant will aid the two technical Non-Coms in their escape.

*copied from Makou Reactor, English names forced by program*

{Aerith}
「{Cloud}、なんか、思いつめてた」

{Tifa}
「……私、{Cloud}を待つわ!
 みんなはエレベーターで先に!」

Maybe someone can use this to confirm if Ryu's suspicion is correct.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
The "but Cloud" bit seems a bit unclear to me, but I'm reading this as they all leave except Cloud who stays behind with Rufus? ("Everyone but Cloud heads back..." would have been a better way to word it, IMO.)

In that case, I would say it's more she was kind of concerned or worried about Cloud rather than she thought of something.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
The "but Cloud" bit seems a bit unclear to me, but I'm reading this as they all leave except Cloud who stays behind with Rufus? ("Everyone but Cloud heads back..." would have been a better way to word it, IMO.)

In that case, I would say it's more she was kind of concerned or worried about Cloud rather than she thought of something.

Yeah, it's pretty much as I expected, the thought IS Cloud, with Tifa maybe cutting her off havng had the same idea. Doesn't Tifa's line pop up automatcally as Aerith's is nearly done, or am I misremembering?

Yeah, it's pretty much as I expected, the thought IS Cloud, with Tifa maybe cutting her off havng had the same idea. Doesn't Tifa's line pop up automatcally as Aerith's is nearly done, or am I misremembering?

No interruption happens. Aerith stops, the party stops, Aerith says her line, you cancel the line, then Tifa walks up to her and speaks her line.
*Note: I can even read this fact in Makou Reactor and see that it agrees with my memory.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I think from context, 「{Cloud}、なんか、思いつめてた」 is enough and doesn't really need any following up. That "......" at the beginning seems to suggest Tifa isn't cutting in as well.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
No cutting off. Remember, ellipses in Final Fantasy mean the opposite of what they mean in English.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
No interruption happens. Aerith stops, the party stops, Aerith says her line, you cancel the line, then Tifa walks up to her and speaks her line.
*Note: I can even read this fact in Makou Reactor and see that it agrees with my memory.

I think from context, 「{Cloud}、なんか、思いつめてた」 is enough and doesn't really need any following up. That "......" at the beginning seems to suggest Tifa isn't cutting in as well.

Fair enough. It's why I asked, after all.

No cutting off. Remember, ellipses in Final Fantasy mean the opposite of what they mean in English.

I thought they meant rejection.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
The "but Cloud" bit seems a bit unclear to me, but I'm reading this as they all leave except Cloud who stays behind with Rufus? ("Everyone but Cloud heads back..." would have been a better way to word it, IMO.) .

Just to clarify I copypasted from Little Chiba's transcript, so any bad grammar is not my fault! :awesome:

Top Bottom