What's your favorite in-game background image/art?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Love the magic hour lighting in this one

TzXk917.jpg

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
P5Wj41T.png

Many of my favorite ones have been posted, but this backdrop in the Northern Cave particularly struck me. The later in the game, generally, the more gorgeous the backdrops got - anything involving the Cetra is generally really gorgeous, too.

At the same time, I’ve always had a soft spot for this one as well:
71w5CR1_d.webp

The feeling it captures is just so warm.

Last edited:

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
P5Wj41T.png

Many of my favorite ones have been posted, but this backdrop in the Northern Cave particularly struck me. The later in the game, generally, the more gorgeous the backdrops got - anything involving the Cetra is generally really gorgeous.
I'm right there with you. When the Shinra folks first walk into the area, see the materia tree, and the Weapon eye pops open... WHEW. That whole scene was chock-full of suspense.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I have always heard about that one being unused (like, from back in the ff7citadel days), and that has always confused me, because isn't it used right after the FMV of Sephiroth dropping out of the tree formation and dropping rocks on either Barret or Red?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I have always heard about that one being unused (like, from back in the ff7citadel days), and that has always confused me, because isn't it used right after the FMV of Sephiroth dropping out of the tree formation and dropping rocks on either Barret or Red?
Okay so the answer to that is "sort of." it is, but it's part of the FMV there. The actual map that uses that background is never visited.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Fair enough, but that feels like a technicality, especially given how enthusiastically all the old sites back in the day talked about it as this mysterious unused map they'd uncovered :P
The only mysterious thing about it is that it randomly has Aerith's theme preloaded as the music for the map, which lead to rampant speculation that she was supposed to die later (see also: that one line she has after the snowboarding minigame) but all the map would have been is a transition into that FMV, which they decided not to go with.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
So, of course I would know this, but that particular North Crater map was actually unused (it would have acter as a transition into the cutscene where the Weapons start waking up.) You guys are thinking of this one which actually is used:
View attachment 7660
Good catch! My memory did things that vague memories do, and that’s totally the one I was trying to remember. Its size on a CRT and in-game totally feels vast compared to when it’s just an image on a computer. Thanks for the correction, Ody my man

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Good catch! My memory did things that vague memories do, and that’s totally the one I was trying to remember. Its size on a CRT and in-game totally feels vast compared to when it’s just an image on a computer. Thanks for the correction, Ody my man
lol I thought I was being a bit of a dick by correcting you. "Um, acktually..." and all. I've spent an unhealthy amount of time looking at ff7's unused content so I just recognize this stuff...

Last edited:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Ok, I never really thought about this until now, but what exactly is surrounding all that?
The spiky power of Cloud’s hair manifested into a spiky magical barrier :mon:

lol I thought I was being a bit of a dick by correcting you. "Um, acktually..." and all. I've spent an unhealthy amount of time looking at ff7's unused content so I just recognize this stuff...
You’re on The Lifestream, where obsessive, detailed knowledge should be rewarded.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Anyone ever think about how stylistically inconsistent the cetra are? They're supposed to be nomadic, but they have a seashell themed city with an underground Disney castle of unknown purpose, and they have an Mayan temple with a room full of Egyptian hyrogliphs, and in the remake the shinra propoga version of them looks like stereotypical fantasy civilization. Square really threw it all at the wall with them.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Anyone ever think about how stylistically inconsistent the cetra are? They're supposed to be nomadic, but they have a seashell themed city with an underground Disney castle of unknown purpose, and they have an Mayan temple with a room full of Egyptian hyrogliphs, and in the remake the shinra propoga version of them looks like stereotypical fantasy civilization. Square really threw it all at the wall with them.

Ugh I knowwww, and now with Remake we have a Morrowind telumbe mushroom termite colony with FF9 airships and it’s like... whaaat???

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
No, what is nonsensical is that Jenova attacked them and the Ancients were in the brink of extinction but they didn't even thought of mingling with humans. No wonder they died out.

"Ancient wisdom" my ass.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Multiple cultures makes way more sense than anything else. No society is ever a monolith, it wouldn't make sense for them to be culturally identical across an entire planet over centuries.

Erm, I think they did, Cat?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Isn't it that the humans were a splinter of the cetra that stopped practicing their customs and also lost their magic powers for some reason? Or is it that the humans are actually Spirans from FFX who migrated to the FFVII world and overtook the cetra as the dominant species?

Top Bottom