Who shared rooms?

chasesummers

chasesummers
I thought this was a funny topìc.

Right before Cloud goes on a date with someone we see the whole gang in the hotel lobby talking about their journey. When all is said and done, Vincent tells Cid "hey Cid, let's go back to our rooms". My mind deleted the s from rooms, thanks to Starling for pointing that out. Out of that thought however came an image of the characters sharing rooms, who would they be sharing it?

I think that Barret stayed with Nanaki like in the Shinra building.
Vincent and Cid would be funny so I'd still put those two together.
Tifa with Aerith, with one of them sneaking out for a date (unless... You know), be hilarious if both got caught sneaking out in the remake, imagine if you can get equal love points :P
That leaves Yuffie with Cait Sith, probably they had separate rooms though. Cloud alone..

Last edited:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Cid and Vincent have separate rooms, as the line says rooms, which is plural rather than singular. It's really been bugging me that so many people miss that and then use that line as pretty much the entire reasoning for Valenwind, instead of some common trait or interest to build a more believable relationship. For all we know, most of them had their own rooms like Cloud seemed to.

chasesummers

chasesummers
Cid and Vincent have separate rooms, as the line says rooms, which is plural rather than singular. It's really been bugging me that so many people miss that and then use that line as pretty much the entire reasoning for Valenwind, instead of some common trait or interest to build a more believable relationship. For all we know, most of them had their own rooms like Cloud seemed to.

True true, i guess my mind got carried away with the idea. Never heard of valenwind btw. However if all characters had to share a room I would still think Vincent and Cid would be hilarious.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I'd think Vincent and Barret would be more awkward. Or maybe shut him in a room with Cait and hope no one dies. Of course, I doubt Cait would've been able to steal the keystone if that were the arrangement. How much swearing do you think there'd be if Barret and Cid had to share a room?

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Barret: *&$%^, I'm so &$^& tired I &^$ can *^&$ barely get to $&#^ sleep.
Cid: Shut the *&^#%^$ up Barret, &#%$&#*$^$ think you're the only *$^%$ one to be $&^%&# tired?
BARRET: *$&^% YOU CID, I DIDN'T &%$^ SAY *%^$ LIKE THAT YOU *$^%&$#^%*!
CID: OH YEAH? *$^%$ YOU &#^&%% &$%^&$ AND &#*$^#. NOW SIT DOWN, DRINK SOME *$^%*$%&^$*%&$ GODDAMN TEA, AND GO TO #*$^#*% SLEEP, YOU #&$&$^%!!

*silence.....*

^Like that, I presume? :monster:

Well Cait doesn't need a room, because he can just switch himself off in a corner. Reeve would probably try to get one of the girls to share with Cait, which they would probably do because he seems like nothing more than a big cute cuddly toy. Yuffie would sleep on the roof. Vincent finds beds too uncomfortable after all those years in a coffin: he sleeps on the floor or standing up in the wardrobe. Cid demands and gets a room to himself. I can't honestly see how Tifa and Aerith sharing would work, when one of them has to sneak out for a date, since they'd be keeping a close eye on each other. Tifa might just let Aerith go on the date and pretend to be asleep while feeling deeply sad and alone inside - but Aerith would definitely find some way to queer Tifa's pitch, as they used to say.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I'm not sure Aerith would have a problem with Tifa going. Remember, they're friends first and foremost, regardless of their feelings for Cloud. Even if watching the other get more attention from Cloud might bother them in terms of not getting to be the one with him, they'd sooner be happy for the other than resent them for it.

Are they friends? They're obviously not enemies, and they are definitely comrades - but are they friends? Just because Tifa understands Aerith better than Cloud does doesn't necessarily mean Aerith and Tifa are friends. I have a few people in my life whom I understand very well, and quite like, but wouldn't describe as a friend. I think that when we say Aerith and Tifa are friends first and foremost, we are straying into headcanon territory. Real friendship takes time to grow, and the party weren't together for very long before Aerith was killed.

As you can see, this "Aerith and Tifa are BFF" thing in the fandom bugs me almost as much as Valenwind. (not that you suggested they were BFFs, but plenty of people have). Just because two young women of similar age are suddenly thrown together by circumstances, it doesn't mean they are going to instantly become bosom friends, sit around plaiting each order's hair and telling each other their secrets.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
When I meet someone, get along with them and then spend a lot of time with afterwards, it doesn't have to take over a month for me to consider them friends. Maybe not close friends quite so soon but still friends. By the time Aerith died, it's clear everyone became close enough to be devastated on a deeper level than just some acquaintance dying, even though that would still be shocking, if a bit less than it was in canon.

It takes me a long time to consider someone a friend, as opposed to a colleague or comrade or team-mate or whatever, so that may be where we differ.

Selphie Tilmitt

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Maidenofwar
Aerith already cared for Tifa, she risked Tseng's wrath, and got slapped for it, to reassure Tifa that Marlene was ok, was safe, so for Tifa not to worry, when Tifa gets picked by Don and they fall down in the sewers, Aerith will say she's fine but what about Tifa, she gives Tifa pep talk in the sewers when Tifa is feeling down not to give up and keep going, etc.

Sure, you can interpret it that way if you want. All I can say is, if a relative stranger had entrusted a child to me, I would certainly have done what Aerith did in order to reassure her that the child was safe, even if I didn't have friendly feelings for her personally. From where I stand, Aerith is just showing the normal concern anyone would show for a fellow human being, especially given the fact that they are now, willy-nilly, members of the same party. I mean, look at how Cloud goes out of his way to save Priscilla's life - a girl he doesn't even know - and Aerith's concern for the welfare of the "sick guy" in the pipe. They are good people who care about the world and the people in it. Would you really have expected a person of Aerith's calibre not to ask how Tifa is?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
If it helps any, Tifa's profile from the 10th Anniversary Ultimania describes she and Aerith as close, says they were good friends, and adds that Tifa cherished Aerith.

I do think we see this from the original game through little stuff like finding Aerith and Tifa together at the pub in Cosmo Canyon.

RedFFWolf

Donator
While everyone would react negatively to the death of an ally, Tifa's exact reaction to Aerith's death, to me, tells of a closer bond :(
(Unless anyone wants to be unnecessarily dark about this and have the hair-stroking mean "Bitch, you is out of the way. He's mine now.")

Anyway (genuine apologies for that), I would like to think the group shared rooms. Gotta save some Gil...

Last edited:
While everyone would react negatively to the death of an ally, Tifa's exact reaction to Aerith's death, to me, tells of a closer bond :(
(Unless anyone wants to be unnecessarily dark about this and have the hair-stroking mean "Bitch, you is out of the way. He's mine now.")

Anyway (genuine apologies for that), I would like to think the group shared rooms. Gotta save some Gil...

Look, I accept Word of God, which means Tifa and Aerith were close - but the fact that Tifa was so upset at seeing a comrade gruesomely murdered, by their arch-enemy, while in the middle of praying, does not in and of itself prove it. I don't understand why they either have to be close friends or jealous rivals. Why does it have to be such extremes? Actually I think it's more tragic and maybe more true to the spirit of the game's theme if Tifa and Aerith had the potential to be lifelong friends, but because Aerith was murdered that potential could never be realised. Aerith's death is not about fulfilment, it's about the untimely ripping away of someone from an incomplete life.

RedFFWolf

Donator
Look, I accept Word of God, which means Tifa and Aerith were close - but the fact that Tifa was so upset at seeing a comrade gruesomely murdered, by their arch-enemy, while in the middle of praying, does not in and of itself prove it. I don't understand why they either have to be close friends or jealous rivals. Why does it have to be such extremes? Actually I think it's more tragic and maybe more true to the spirit of the game's theme if Tifa and Aerith had the potential to be lifelong friends, but because Aerith was murdered that potential could never be realised. Aerith's death is not about fulfilment, it's about the untimely ripping away of someone from an incomplete life.

I know you do - I just felt like I wanted to say what always showed me they were close. And, of course, I was joking for the other parts of my post.
It actually wasn't an attempt at trying to continue the discussion - Sorry if it came across the wrong way. Truly.

I had dissected my thoughts earlier in depth too (but I just didn't post it in detail), so I appreciate your points - indeed, I feel like your remark of "the untimely ripping away of someone from an incomplete life" is echoed in Tifa's actions at her death.

And, as you say, their relationship doesn't have to be in extremes, and indeed I don't think they fall into either side. At that moment, though, with this group of 9, they were probably just that bit closer in comparison to other members of the party - people latch onto it, and it has since grown. (Even the two just so much as having "girly moments" to talk probably helped give off these impressions). Or, people think they both have the hots for Cloud and assume they must be jealous rivals.

In the end, some fans latch onto simplified concepts and/or they don't put enough thought in for the most part, and that's how couples form, such as the classic Cid and Vincent.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Could be, maybe not. It's the same as shipping logic we could go either way.

I'd reckon who shared rooms would depend on the inn. Sometimes they'd all be together, sometimes it would be two each, sometimes three each.

They got single rooms that night, most likely (remember, Cait pulled strings so it was free, they probably took advantage of that.) Smaller inns would probably be different.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I always thought Tifa and Aerith probably would've become friends if she had lived through that whole journey, regardless of who 'ended up' with Cloud. I personally think they were friends before that, but not best friends, so to say. You don't have to be best friends of course to love someone.

And just imagine the whole party having to cram into one or two rooms. That would be an interesting scene. :D

Starling

Pro Adventurer
It's worth noting that having to work together such as being in a group travelling the world to achieve a common goal builds trust faster. While people's differing experiences cause them to interpret character relations differently, it's clear that a fair bit of camaraderie had formed by then, and that some characters seem to interact with each other more often than others, giving reason to believe they could become good friends within the allotted time, though Tifa and Aerith didn't get the chance to become as close as they could've been. Like I said, it doesn't have to take that long to consider someone a friend, especially if you spend most of several weeks' time together and end up in life or death situations.

Lex

Administrator
It might also be worth noting for the sake of argument that Yuffie has (arguably) the saddest, most emotional reaction to Aerith's death and I can't remember any evidence in the game that they even remotely liked each other.

So I agree with everything Lic has said. Canon is canon and if it says they're close friends then they must be, but by golly gosh that is one bizarrely fast forming close friendship. I don't doubt that they got along well, but it's going to be a "your mileage may vary" with the way you as a person form friendships.

Top Bottom