Why is Cloud your favorite character?

SoZettaSlow

Hackermens extraordinaire
AKA
Yoshikage Kira
While he has a point, Cloud feels fine in FFVII it's any other appearance of him that's really weak since Tetsuya Nomura doesnt really do well with consistency.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
While he has a point, Cloud feels fine in FFVII it's any other appearance of him that's really weak since Tetsuya Nomura doesnt really do well with consistency.

Well Cloud was created to be a main character of a story that resolves psychological issues of his along the way that effect his mannerisms and attidute. Any other appearance he makes inevitably tries to represent his tough guy exterior that hides inner turmoil without the real fullblown issues he has in the FFVIi.

Midgar_Blues

Pro Adventurer
Cloud does not have any "psychological depth"? For real? You know the kind of psychological effed up shit he went through? How his brain was so fried with Mako poisoning/experiments that he lost his own memories and adopted Zack's? How it left him so vulnerable to Zephiroth that he almost killed Aerith because he had no control over his own mind? How Tifa had to put all the puzzle pieces of him back together again, and how after all that you finally see his true personality come back? No depth simply does not apply to Cloud Strife.

Nivaldia

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Muricaneus
Globally, he has scarce psychological definition: We do not know, although many many game hours if he likes football, internet or gardening: the result is not convincing as the other characters case.

SoZettaSlow

AKA
Yoshikage Kira
He has ambitions and dreams and junk. He looked up to Sephiroth and wanted to be a big time hero so he let his hometown to do so. The only reason he doesn't have normal hobbies is because he got kidnapped by a sociopathic doctor who did creepy experiments to him. He has considerable character with what he goes through. I think you are confusing Cloud with Squall whom is the worst written protag in history.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Globally, he has scarce psychological definition: We do not know, although many many game hours if he likes football, internet or gardening: the result is not convincing as the other characters case.

We know he likes snowboarding, chocoboracing, a lot of other minigames, we know he heroworshipped Sephiroth, he gets motionsickness when not behind the wheel of vehicle. He was very embarrassed to not make it in SOLDIER, but the day he initially got a Shinra uniform was the proudest day of his life.

FFVII is a big game, with Cloud as main character reacting to a lot of subjects.

Nivaldia

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Muricaneus

We know he likes snowboarding, chocoboracing, a lot of other minigames, we know he heroworshipped Sephiroth, he gets motionsickness when not behind the wheel of vehicle. He was very embarrassed to not make it in SOLDIER, but the day he initially got a Shinra uniform was the proudest day of his life.

FFVII is a big game, with Cloud as main character reacting to a lot of subjects.

Of course it's a merveillous game, because of its bigger story

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

It's a big story, but pretty focused on Cloud. We know what his was doing at 7, 14, 16, 20, 21. We get a stronger an impression of his life then any other adult character Square ever presented to us.

Nivaldia

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Muricaneus
Well, in short, for me this game story seems more attractive than Cloud character, and its life is a complement to the general plot ..

SoZettaSlow

AKA
Yoshikage Kira

It's a big story, but pretty focused on Cloud. We know what his was doing at 7, 14, 16, 20, 21. We get a stronger an impression of his life then any other adult character Square ever presented to us.

You are discounting the entirety of the Xenogears cast if you think Cloud has the strongest impression.

SoZettaSlow

AKA
Yoshikage Kira
It was the original plot of FF7 til it got abandoned for being too dark and complicated. Another studio was burned to release it on peanuts for a budget. Despite that it was still good. To give you an idea the game spans over several thousand years for its story.

Midgar_Blues

Pro Adventurer
A lot of people, like me, don't care about what might have been, or was meant to be, just what's canon in the present moment. Cloud is far from a vacuum character. It's fine if people just don't like him, that's their right, but "vacuum" implies that there was a huge hole in the plotline which Cloud filled for better lack of a deeper character. I mean, if that's anyone's opinion, cool. I just find it strange. I find him almost too deep, at times.

Midgar_Blues

Pro Adventurer
I know a hardcore Clerith shipper who recently stated that Crisis Core wasn't canon, and I swear... But hey, why let reality get in the way of your shipping OCD?

Midgar_Blues

Pro Adventurer
I really hated the emo persona of Cloud in ACC, but after awhile I kinda got it. He got seriously mindfucked during CC and VII, and the two years after before AC it'd be natural to have some kind of crisis of character. That shit would make anyone doubt their own mind, on top of Zack and Aerith dying making him feel useless. So yeah, now I can watch it with a deeper sense of understanding. I just really, REALLY hope the remake won't have Cloud behaving as he did in AC, cause that shit AINT VII canon!

SoZettaSlow

AKA
Yoshikage Kira
I really hated the emo persona of Cloud in ACC, but after awhile I kinda got it. He got seriously mindfucked during CC and VII, and the two years after before AC it'd be natural to have some kind of crisis of character. That shit would make anyone doubt their own mind, on top of Zack and Aerith dying making him feel useless. So yeah, now I can watch it with a deeper sense of understanding. I just really, REALLY hope the remake won't have Cloud behaving as he did in AC, cause that shit AINT VII canon!

I believe we will see a lot of character re-imagining from the FFVII Remake, they already hinted at that. I really doubt Cloud will be the same boy we saw in FFVII.

Midgar_Blues

Pro Adventurer

I believe we will see a lot of character re-imagining from the FFVII Remake, they already hinted at that. I really doubt Cloud will be the same boy we saw in FFVII.

*sighs* you're probably right, as much as I hope you're not.

SoZettaSlow

AKA
Yoshikage Kira
The only thing I hope for is for Cloud or Sephy to be VA'd by Matt Mercer or Liam o'Brien

SoZettaSlow

AKA
Yoshikage Kira
As long as he can channel the cockier Cloud without sounding like a passive aggressive romcom voice. The most unappealing part to me about Cloud has been his voice. It makes me want to bully him.

Top Bottom