• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Would a CG Movie of FF7 Be a Good Alternative to a Remake?

Would You Like to See a CG Movie Based on FF7 if a Remake Doesn't Happen?

• Total voters

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Final Fantasy III and IV have both been remade and not just ports to different systems. They were graphically rebooted with added voice actors, new translations, extended dungeons and cutscenes.

The problem is that Square-Enix is FUCKING LAZY and/or STUPID and made them for the most graphically inferior gaming system available -- with tiny-ass cartridges, no less. The hackneyed sprites and slow gameplay made FFIV's remake a pile of shit. But! If Final Fantasy IV had been re-made for the PS3, with the kind of graphics featured in FFXIII, it would have far surpassed the original (and FFXIII for that matter).

If you can imagine walking around Castle Baron with the kind of graphics/control that FFXIII (or even XII) had, it would have blown gamers' minds.

Now imagine Midgar.

I don't think a lot of people understand the appeal of a remake. It is not to experience something new. It's to experience something familiar in a new way. For me, it isn't even about playing the goddamn game. I just want to stand in the lobby of the Shinra Headquarters without a bird's eye view. I want to stand in the middle of Kalm's town square and be able to turn 360 degrees.

We want the same thing that we've been having, but we want to be immersed more deeply. Immersed again.

Advent Children, in it's complete failure to visit familiar locations (even the Forgotten City scene became about fighting on a dirt road and in ghosty-trees -- none of which existed in the OG) didn't give us that immersion we wanted. Dirge of Cerberus changed those locations into horrible-looking, poorly-contrived, 3PS dungeons that lacked the atmosphere and look of the original. Crisis Core was about as close as we got, but the time spent in those places was brief in the super-linear episodic nature of the game (and again, making it for a handheld system was a fucking stupid choice).

I want to fly around in the goddamn Highwind for 100 hours and go any place I goddamn want. I want to watch old scenes with new graphics. I want to be immersed again.

robotwarui

kraplach
AKA
badrobot
In fact, I outlined 3 acts each and all the scenes/story progress for the first two movies- The only thing that got cut was the Gi cave adventure because it didn't flow

robotwarui

kraplach
AKA
badrobot
Imagine this:

(FF7)
Episode IV: A False Hope
Episode V : Sephiroth Strikes Back
Episode VI: Return of a Cetra

(CC)
Episode I : The Phantom Mentors
Episode II : Attack of the Copies
Episone III: Revenge of The Shinra

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Final Fantasy III and IV have both been remade and not just ports to different systems. They were graphically rebooted with added voice actors, new translations, extended dungeons and cutscenes.

The problem is that Square-Enix is FUCKING LAZY and/or STUPID and made them for the most graphically inferior gaming system available -- with tiny-ass cartridges, no less. The hackneyed sprites and slow gameplay made FFIV's remake a pile of shit. But! If Final Fantasy IV had been re-made for the PS3, with the kind of graphics featured in FFXIII, it would have far surpassed the original (and FFXIII for that matter).

If you can imagine walking around Castle Baron with the kind of graphics/control that FFXIII (or even XII) had, it would have blown gamers' minds.

Now imagine Midgar.

I don't think a lot of people understand the appeal of a remake. It is not to experience something new. It's to experience something familiar in a new way. For me, it isn't even about playing the goddamn game. I just want to stand in the lobby of the Shinra Headquarters without a bird's eye view. I want to stand in the middle of Kalm's town square and be able to turn 360 degrees.

We want the same thing that we've been having, but we want to be immersed more deeply. Immersed again.

Advent Children, in it's complete failure to visit familiar locations (even the Forgotten City scene became about fighting on a dirt road and in ghosty-trees -- none of which existed in the OG) didn't give us that immersion we wanted. Dirge of Cerberus changed those locations into horrible-looking, poorly-contrived, 3PS dungeons that lacked the atmosphere and look of the original. Crisis Core was about as close as we got, but the time spent in those places was brief in the super-linear episodic nature of the game (and again, making it for a handheld system was a fucking stupid choice).

I want to fly around in the goddamn Highwind for 100 hours and go any place I goddamn want. I want to watch old scenes with new graphics. I want to be immersed again.

SquareEnix is not like Squaresoft

For starters in a FFVII remake there probably would be no flying around in the Highwind. They've dumped that method of traveling for the lame click on a static map and teleport to the town that has plagued new Final Fantasy games. I think the same would be the case even in a Final Fantasy VII-2 type game

Square Enix is crap now. They do stupid things like scrapping towns out of FF XIII because they said they take too long to model in HD

While experiencing FFVII again with the latest technology would be cool, the story would still be the same. And likely Square Enix would find a way to screw up something. They'll skimp out somewhere and tarnish the experience. How many movie remakes are better then the original? Even with the help of modern tech, most aren't. Even the 1930s King Kong holds up well against the new one.

I dont ever see a true remake ever happening. I think they're satisfied with milking VII through poor spinoffs. A full remake would kill the desire to purchase any spinoffs so a full remake will never happen.

Thats the nature of the beast that is Square Enix

I'm just trying to be a realist. Would I like FFVII to be remade? Yes, if done properly. But I dont see it being done properly, not with Square Enix. It took them ages to make the first truly bad Final Fantasy game, # XIII. So we know alot of development time would likely go to waste for a remake.

What's the best possible way to experience FFVII again? I say through an anime TV series. At least then Square Enix can't corrupt the gameplay. Maybe give the project to some well known animator and have Nomura and Kitase oversee it.

Its either that or more spinoffs

ForceStealer

Double Growth
For starters in a FFVII remake there probably would be no flying around in the Highwind. They've dumped that method of traveling for the lame click on a static map and teleport to the town that has plagued new Final Fantasy games.

Versus is supposed to have airship flight. Just fyi.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Versus is supposed to have airship flight. Just fyi.

Yeah, suppose to. Its based on a comment made by Nomura 18 months ago about how they got airships up and running on the world map in some very early version of the game. I can't for the life of me find the quote but I remember reading somewhere that Nomura thinks a "tiny" Noctis running around on the world map didn't look right. In the end the feature can be kept, chopped off, or downsized at any time.

My critical side says its likely vs XIII gets a watered down version of the world maps we've seen on PS1 and earlier.

However its also likely vs XIII will have a Dragon Quest VIII style system where there is a world map that can be traveled in a vehicle along with vast areas that can be traveled on foot that are not accesible by vehicles on the world map. You have to get out of the vehicle and "walk into forest entrance" so to speak to enter a massive forrest explorable in 1-1 scale from 3rd person

If you watch the vs XIII trailers you will see vast landscapes that look like a Calm area in FFX or a Pulse area in FF XIII. I doubt the airship is flying directly above them. Like I said, it looks like Dragon Quest VIII's system which has both a world map and large areas explorable in true 1-1 scale. If so it would be amazing.

But I dont see them going through all that work to do that for FFVII. Square Enix is lazy now and I'm sure they're regretting giving Nomura so much control over vs XIII. If they had it their way they'd probably cut out all the towns and claim it was too hard to design them in HD

I've gone from Square lover, then apologist, and now hater, and I think rightfully so

stiles

Call me a TREASURE HUNTER!
AKA
Locke
What about xii's version of travel? you could literally walk through the game to different locations in most cases. i liked that, and if you didn't want to they also gave you the ability to use airships.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
But I dont see them going through all that work to do that for FFVII. Square Enix is lazy now and I'm sure they're regretting giving Nomura so much control over vs XIII. If they had it their way they'd probably cut out all the towns and claim it was too hard to design them in HD

Not entirely true.

Square Enix Development Division 4 proved that Squenix can still make a darn good RPG.

But it'll be Division 1 in charge of any remake, so...

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
A bad idea. They could perhaps to a section of the game. Like the Midgar bit at the beginning of the first disk

Top Bottom