• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Thoughts on the game so far...

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
So what are everyone's thoughts on Dissidia? :monster:

I figured a general discussion topic on the news and stuff we've seen so far would add some life to this forum.

Anyone have an idea on who they'll main as when they start to play? What are your thoughts on the videos of the combat so far?

Personally I just had the biggest nerdgasm when I saw Cloud and Sephiroth fight. They look fucking awesome and I just love how they play. I'm curious to see how Terra will play, and also Cecil. Being able to switch from Dark Knight to Paladin sounds pretty fucking cool.

So anyone else? :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It looks fucking epic.

I'll probably start with the Warrior of Light. I like that guy kinda, there is something...pure and very heroic about him. :monster:
And of course, he was the first...so he'll be the first for me in Dissidia as well.

Also, Cloud and Sephiroth are pretty much designed to be good allrounders, so they'd be a good choice to select when trying to get into the game in the beginning, too...

Anyone else curious as to what other secret characters there'll be?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I hadn't given any thought to all this maining business. And I still haven't :monster: Maybe some magic/long range character (Cloud of Darkness, Ultimecia, Kuja), or whoever's VA I like the most :monster: Though pretty much the whole cast sounds good, so that doesn't help much.

Though I'll go through it in order from Warrior of Light first, so maybe I'll have a change of heart along the way. I don't really know much about how each character plays, since I didn't follow Dissida very closely until recently.

But if there's no FFXII, I'm sending many angry letters to Square :monster:

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
I had a fangasm when i heard Kuja's voice for the first time. How very fitting it sounds. Other than that, i like Kuja's fighting style and how overpowered he seems to be.

I had another when i heard Kefka's voice. So eerie and disturbing!

The third one was when i saw One Winged Angel Sephiroth. And his "blade that can't be seen" fighting style looks very interesting.

Fanboy moments aside, i like how they portraited the characters. The voices and personalities are very faithful their "original" selves. In some cases, it even helps one to relate more to some characters.

For instance, i wasn't too fond of Ultimecia in FFVIII, but the way they portraited her in Dissidia, made like her much more.

Interesting her chemistry with Emperor Mateus. They are seen several times side by side, as a King and a Queen. It would be interesting if they developed some kind of more intimate relationship, like a marriage between Cher and David Bowie! :duhard:

Besides that, i liked how they developed different fighting styles for each character individually, while keeping faithful to their powers and such in the main FF series.

I intend to play with the characters in a chronological way (First WOL, the Firion, etc...), but the ones i'm looking foward to play with the most in Cosmos side are Cecil, to see how his Dark Knight and Paladin forms work together, and Terra, since she's my favourite heroine from all FF games.

But being a devoted fan of Kefka, Sephiroth and Kuja, those will be the ones i will play the most and will also be the ones i intend to maximize first.

All in all, the game looks very good and i'm loking foward to play it!

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
[quote author=Dark and Divine link=topic=35.msg193#msg193 date=1227910555]For instance, i wasn't too fond of Ultimecia in FFVIII, but the way they portraited her in Dissidia, made like her much more.[/QUOTE]
That's because Atsuko Tanaka makes everything's level of awesome over 9000 :monster:

FFII and FFVIII seem to be tied in the same way FFIII and FFVI are (the Emperor and Ultimecia appearing together, Cloud of Darkness and Kefka appearing together, Squall and Firion, Onion Knight and Terra).

I still haven't played most of the old games, but I've been inspired to go through FFIII (which I had but not finished) and FFIV thanks to Dissidia. Probably won't be going through the others in time, though. And people probably won't except my payment in drawings of spiders :monster:

I'm looking forward to playing as Terra. It'll be neat to see what they do with her morph form.
I also only own Crisis Core right now for my PSP, so it'll be great to have another game for it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Tets[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=35.msg190#msg190 date=1227908952 said:
Anyone else curious as to what other secret characters there'll be?

No, because it's probably going to be a moogle, a chocobo and a cactuar. *yawn*

hitoshura said:
And people probably won't except my payment in drawings of spiders :monster:

They should, it's the only currency that remains constant in value these days, :monster:. Except the ones that miss a leg, they're worth a bit less.

@topic, I'm not really reveling in fanboyism, nor do I have a PSP, nor will I likely ever play the game and all that, so :monster: at all that. But from what I've seen so far, it's looking pretty good - better than I deem worthy for the PSP, to be honest, the low quality graphics (compared to current titles on bigger platforms) don't seem to be doing the game much justice.

Also, I'm not entirely sure of the gameplay - it's a fighting game, but from a third person non-fixed perspective, which could be tricky in terms of camera positioning and keeping track of the enemy, and it seems to have pretty large 'arenas' which could lead to lots of running around but not a lot of fighting. But then again, I dunno, lol :monster:.

I hope they can get the balance right though, that not one character is insanely stronger than another (when controlled by players of equal skill, that is). Speaking of, I assume that you can play it with two players as well? Speaking of², does it contain fights with more than just two players? A proper multiplayer (read: >2) fighting game hasn't been made much outside of Super Smash Bros, as far as I can remember. A 'massive' fighting game with a more serios undertone would be neat, imho.

(In fact, I can only think of one other fighting game outside of SSB with more than two players, an (unofficial?) sequel to One Must Fall, never did seem to work out I think, haven't heard of it lyk ever)

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=35.msg202#msg202 date=1227916707]
They should, it's the only currency that remains constant in value these days, :monster:. Except the ones that miss a leg, they're worth a bit less.[/QUOTE]
I assure you, I wouldn't make such an elementary error :monster:

From the videos the camera does look like it swings around a lot, and there's seems to be a lot of running around and having to jump all the time. But I don't know much about that.

There's a 2 player mode (ad-hoc), or some thing where it makes a code for the character you've built up and you give it to people and it makes an AI version of your character for them to fight. I don't know much about that either :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm really excited about it. But yeah, the secret characters they could put in are endless. They have characters/monsters from ALL of the Final Fantasies and ALL the spinoffs. The possibilities really are huge.

I hate that a US version hasn't been announced yet. I feel like it will certainly come here, but in the off-chance that it doesn't, I'll be able to pick it up in Japan since I'll be there next semester ;)

As for characters, I've given no thought to the order, but I'm especially looking forward to Terra, Cloud, and Tidus since he gets so little love, lol. More than anything, I think it will be really cool hwo they have the characters interact as long as they keep the character's true to themselves. Squall has been getting a lot of screentime in the trailers for some reason, though the Warrior of Light seems to be the leader. (Then there's that scene of Squall drawing his sword on the Warrior of Light)
It seems like it might mimic Kingdom Hearts in having Squall much more talkative than Cloud...who I thought spoke a lot more than Squall ever did.

Either way, I can't freaking wait.

I hate that a US version hasn't been announced yet. I feel like it will certainly come here, but in the off-chance that it doesn't, I'll be able to pick it up in Japan since I'll be there next semester.
For a second there I felt worried, but then remembered the PSP is compatible with Japanese games as well, and I've played more than one game in a language I couldn't understand just by playing around with the buttons. XP

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I don't currently have a PSP, but the first person I'd be starting as is Cecil. Because he's Cecil.

For unlockables, I'd like to see Gilgamesh, Laguna, Tifa, and some character from crystal chronicles as well.

SOLDIERis1337

Pro Adventurer
This game looks fan-freakin-tastic so far. Every bit of info released for this game gives me more and more hope for it.

I'm most excited to play as Golbez, he's always been one of my favorite villains, and his long and short range magic fighting style sounds fun.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
At first glance, I took this game to be another Square cash in, a horrible idea, and another nail in the coffin that Square has been making themselves.

However, when I thought about it further, I can't really say the concept is bad, after all, other companies has been doing it for years, and games such as Marvel vs. Capcom rank among the best video games ever released. So now it's just the execution which worries me, because I hope that Square doesn't screw up the gameplay. After Crisis Core (which I liked, but the gameplay was ass), I have my doubts about how well the gameplay will stack up.

And what's with the whole Advent Children-esque 'everyone flies around like ninjas' thing Square likes to do nowadays? I think it looks really dumb and poorly presented.

However, the game itself may be alright.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's typical Japanese, I guess. They've done it in pre-VII FF games too, where the characters (all 10 pixelf of 'em, :monster: ) would make impossible jumps and whatnot.

Also, I think it's neat, so no u.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
It's typical Japanese, I guess. They've done it in pre-VII FF games too, where the characters (all 10 pixelf of 'em, :monster: ) would make impossible jumps and whatnot.

Oh come on. You know the stuff they have now is CRAZY compared to the stuff they had pre AC. I don't mind crazy RPG abilities and moves and whatnot, but I can't dig the entire fight being dictated by crazy ninja midair action. I'm more of a regular old swordfight guy with the occasional Omnislash or Lion Heart-esque move thrown in.

But hey, I'm not badmouthing the entire game. I want to enjoy it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Not really. All of the limit breaks in FFVII were pretty damn out of this world, they just didn't look as nice because it was all turn based :monster: Cloud summoning a Tornado? Yuffie punching the ground and creating a giant fissure? Yuffie moving instantly fast like a ninja to decimate her opponents with her shuriken when she preformed her Bloodfest limit break?

Then there's FFVI. We've got Sabin's uber-fast Bum Rush, Terra's Riot Blade, and Cyan's Tempest attack. Heck, one of the most important boss fights against Chupon and Air Force happened in mid-air. The FF characters are certainly not moving like normal people. AC merely was the first translation of the fantasy, badass movements the previous medium of FF games couldn't perfectly realize. It's hard to show AC-esque movements in 8 bit and 16 bit graphics and polygons.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
No, I don't mean the 'out of this world' elements, such as special movies, magic, fireballs, and so on. Those are fine. I mean the 'fights take place mostly in mid air flying around and doing weird camera angle flips' and so on and so forth that permeate AC. The only fight that seems to be the exception of this is the one with Tifa and Loz, but the rest are just ridiculous, and I know I'm not crazy because this is a pretty common sentiment with Square's works such as AC, Kingdom Hearts (think about the difference between I and II).

While 'alright' to look at, I don't think a lot of the midair crazy fights in AC are really badass at all. It's just over the top and ridiculous.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well it's really not that crazy. Fights happening in mid-air have been in FF before FFVII and FFVII AC. Graphical limitations were the only problem in fully realizing it to its full potential like in AC and Kingdom Hearts. And your beef with AC's take on it is a director's and choreographic issue, not a consistency one.

And I don't really see much difference between KH and KH2's take on fighting, except the gameplay of KH2 has it's midair fighting much more seamlessly integrated into gameplay.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
And your beef with AC's take on it is a director's and choreographic issue,
Yeah this.

Besides that though, I don't have anything against MID AIR FIGHTING in itself but the choreography of AC and other works like it, I don't like at all and I see Square continuing that pattern with Dissadia.

Graphical limitations were the only problem in fully realizing it to its full potential like in AC and Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah, and if stuff like AC and Kingdom Hearts (II, the first one was fine), that's what I don't like. It IS a consistency issue because even Final Fantasy X didn't have the crazy AC stunts, and XII certainly didn't have it either. Like I said, I don't have issue with the stuff like Limit Breaks and such because they're so occasional.

And I don't really see much difference between KH and KH2's take on fighting, except the gameplay of KH2 has it's midair fighting much more seamlessly integrated into gameplay.

WHHHAAAATTTTT you gotta be kidding me. I just finished KH II and the fighting and choreography is crazy as shit compared to the first one. Have we been playing the same games? The shit that you do with the Reaction commands was unseen in the first game.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Notorious M.O.G. said:
Yeah, and if stuff like AC and Kingdom Hearts (II, the first one was fine), that's what I don't like. It IS a consistency issue because even Final Fantasy X didn't have the crazy AC stunts, and XII certainly didn't have it either. Like I said, I don't have issue with the stuff like Limit Breaks and such because they're so occasional.

Actually, FFX did. You don't remember the storming of the wedding in Bevelle? Or the underwater fighting, or Tidus's overdrives, as well as Wakka's? And them being able to fight mid-air to take down Evrae, and then underwater to take out Evrae Altana would be in the same league. It's just not as obvious because it's a turn based game instead of a full movie or fighting game.

And then you're forgetting the Mist Quickenings in FFXII. The Mist Quickening combos were just as crazy as AC. Vaan's Pyroclasm, all of Basche's Quickenings, and even Balthier's. "Element of Treachery" is one of the best examples. Along with Fran's "Whipkick."

WHHHAAAATTTTT you gotta be kidding me. I just finished KH II and the fighting and choreography is crazy as shit compared to the first one. Have we been playing the same games? The shit that you do with the Reaction commands was unseen in the first game.

I said the mid-air fighting was more seamlessly integrated into *gameplay* in KH2, than in KH1. But Sora's special attacks like Ragnarok, Trinity Limit, and Ars Arcanum are in the same vein. Then you have the mid air battle against Phantom and Xehanort, and then the way Cloud, Squall and the other FF Heroes fight in the Colosseum. Cloud's "Omnislash" in KH1 is in the same vein as AC, and just polished even more powerful in KH2.

Also the teaser trailer ending in KH1 and Final Mix as well as Cloud and Sephiroth's "Showdown of Fate" pretty much confirms that's what they were looking for and intending in terms of their fighting.

So it's not really much of a thematic difference, save for that the creators perfected what they were trying to do in the first place by adding the Reaction command abilities in KH2 :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Actually, FFX did. You don't remember the storming of the wedding in Bevelle? Or the underwater fighting, or Tidus's overdrives, as well as Wakka's? And them being able to fight mid-air to take down Evrae, and then underwater to take out Evrae Altana would be in the same league. It's just not as obvious because it's a turn based game instead of a full movie or fighting game.

And then you're forgetting the Mist Quickenings in FFXII. The Mist Quickening combos were just as crazy as AC. Vaan's Pyroclasm, all of Basche's Quickenings, and even Balthier's. "Element of Treachery" is one of the best examples. Along with Fran's "Whipkick."

Yeah but like I said before, those are occasional. I like it when the occasional crazy mid air stunt or something happens, because it's occasional. When the entire fight is dictated by stuff like that, it gets ridiculous (to me).

Final Fantasy 12 was also a good example because it was just Quickenings, an occasional theatric in an otherwise vanilla sword (or whatever) fight.

I said the mid-air fighting was more seamlessly integrated into *gameplay* in KH2, than in KH1. But Sora's special attacks like Ragnarok, Trinity Limit, and Ars Arcanum are in the same vein. Then you have the mid air battle against Phantom and Xehanort, and then the way Cloud, Squall and the other FF Heroes fight in the Colosseum. Cloud's "Omnislash" in KH1 is in the same vein as AC, and just polished even more powerful in KH2.

Also the teaser trailer ending in KH1 and Final Mix as well as Cloud and Sephiroth's "Showdown of Fate" pretty much confirms that's what they were looking for and intending in terms of their fighting.

So it's not really much of a thematic difference, save for that the creators perfected what they were trying to do in the first place by adding the Reaction command abilities in KH2.

Yeah, I liked it better when they didn't perfect it a while back and it was more of an occasional crazy stunt in a fight instead of having the entire fight dictated by crazy aerial flying stunts and so on.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
On that subject and onto a completely different track, how's the fighting style in FFXIII? I haven't really followed the development of that game (neither did for XII btw, or any FF-related thing outside of AC, come to think of it ^^), except for the first two trailers, and from what I've seen from those, the fighting style did seem a bit like AC's. But then, I dunno, lol.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm not sure why you think though that Tifa's was the only fight in AC that wasn't "crazy ninja flying shit." Every fight was mostly on the ground except Bahamut and Sephiroth.

The opening bike chase doesn't involve leaving the ground at all, except when Cloud ramps over Loz's bike. Then Tifa's, then the Forgotten Capitol which only has a brief stint in the air at the end. Then Bahamut part 1 which stays on the ground, Reno and Rude get thrown real far. Then Cloud flies to Bahamut, then Kadaj and Rufus, to quote Toy Story, "fall with style." Bike chase #2 is largely on the ground but yeah it does get a little crazy in the tunnel. Cloud vs. Kadaj has some impressive jumps but they mostly fight while standing. And then Sephiroth which is largely in the air.

So two and a half of the fights involve a lot of the flying, I hardly think that dominates the action in the film.

I see both of your points, while they weren't necessarily always like this, Mako did cite a pretty good example from FF6 when the ENTIRE battle is in mid air. (Not mention the outrunning/fighting a locomotive).

While Dissidia could lighten up on the flying a bit, if they stuck to 'vanilla sword fights' you might as well play Ehrgeiz.

Yeah, FFXIII's battles look crazy fast, but she didn't seem to fly excessively. I'd expect more of that in Versus XIII

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I see both of your points, while they weren't necessarily always like this, Mako did cite a pretty good example from FF6 when the ENTIRE battle is in mid air. (Not mention the outrunning/fighting a locomotive).

It's not as simple as FIGHTING IN AIR=HATE. It's the whole style and choreography in AC and other recent Square games which I dislike.

While Dissidia could lighten up on the flying a bit, if they stuck to 'vanilla sword fights' you might as well play Ehrgeiz.

I fucked loved the style in Ehrgeiz and if they made Dissidia like that I'd preorder it with full force. Same if they went with a Tekken or a Soul Calibur style. Holy shit would I love it.

Top Bottom