Final Fantasy VII Community Playthrough 2015

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Count me in. This is perfect timing for a few reasons. First, I'm able to test out my difficulty mod and the Beacause re-translation for the PC version. Second, it's summer break for me and I still need an outlet to vent all this Remake hype. Let the battles begin!

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I was referring to Carlie, sorry I didn't make that evident enough.

Lex

Administrator
First chapter post will be tomorrow. Stream to follow at some point over the weekend :monster:

Lex

Administrator
Chapter One: The Rotting Pizza

Chapter Target:
pBjX9Xy.jpg

Target Date: 07/07/2015

We cover the opening and a batch of iconic scenes and moments in this chapter, ending with the successful infiltration of the Shinra building. There should be a lot to discuss about how they're going to remake some of these. Chapter two will be posted on Tuesday with a target date of next Friday, kicking off our two chapters per week extravaganza :D.

Get playing, and chat about how you like to play this opening segment!

THE COMMUNITY PLAYTHROUGH IS OPEN

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Well there's already been a LOT of discussion about Wall Market in particular. But here's my capsule run-down on everything in this chapter and how I want the remake to handle it.

Opening Bombing Mission
For one thing- They'd BETTER keep that iconic music cue. The idea of making the reactor a bit more labyrinthine would be cool especially if they go with an action RPG style. Also, imagine the Scorpion boss with a tail laser that is more directly responsive to counter attacks. I can imagine if they go full action, you would have to coordinate going around to the back of the boss to avoid it's tail laser or tanking in the front.

Sector 7 Slums
Drab, drab, drab, drab, drab. I want to see this place looking miserable, not like a little kid's cardboard fort. I want dark streets, seedy underworld, acid rain, steam. I want the seventh heaven to look like a rough, uninviting place even with Tifa's feminine touch. Most importantly, I want them to find some what to include the line: "What the hell?! Finger?"

Mako Reactor 5, Sector 4 Plate
The thought of navigating a fully functional train tunnel and perhaps even a mild degree of platforming through these segments has me very excited. The Sector 4 Plate is one of my favorite segments of the early game just because the idea is awesome and adds a lot of depth to the city.

Sector 5 Slums
"This guy are sick."
But also same as I said about the Sector 7 slums. Drab. Silly side note- the polluted waterfall behind Aeris's house will probably look amazing with HD graphics.

Wall Market
Same as what's already been said: We want our girly Cloud. I wonder how the honeybee inn scene will be handled in HD in particular. Perhaps it'll be taken to a whole new level of pervy goodness or it will be dumbed down significantly to avoid tripping any censors. Sadly, I imagine the former. On that note, Don Corneo's kinky dungeon is probably gonna be a lot less Spanish Inquisition and a lot more 50 Shades of Grey.

Reminds me of one of my fave lines from The Jenova Project where Aeris, upon seeing the devices of sexual torture simply remarks:

"Kinky."

Train Graveyard, Pillar Fight Scene, Golden Shiny Wire Of Hope
The Train Graveyard is another fun place, and I'd like to see the train based puzzles amp up. As for the Pillar Fight Scene, I want it intense and blood-pumping. But most important the Golden Shiny Wire of Hope. While feelings are mixed I hope this doesn't just turn into a cutscene. I want to climb up Midgar the old fashioned way, with the wreckage puzzles kept intact.

Shinra Infiltration
Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I hope they go full Solid Snake on this segment. I want sneaking around corners, I want dodging enemy patrols, I want utilizing stealth tactics. Makes something awesome out of that big building. They already have Cloud crawling through vents, so it's a start. And for the scene at the end where Jenova breaks out... make that scene full on survival horror. Creepy music, scary lighting, even jump scares. Bring it on.

Lex

Administrator
I don't have the time to put an article up right now but I shared it on Twitter when I made the post earlier. If somebody else has the time it would be appreciated.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Ok once I get my psp sorted I'll post all my stuff up togetherr but it'll probs be really long so I'll put the chapters behind spoiler tags, that ok?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I don't have time to make a lengthy post right now but I'm just going to say that the opening sequence in Midgar is my favourite part of the game. It has pretty much everything I look for in a fantasy story - a compelling setting and characters, an otherworldly feel, a believable and truly loathsome antagonist, and something truly meaningful to say about our world. The soundtrack helps too.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I don't have time to make a lengthy post right now but I'm just going to say that the opening sequence in Midgar is my favourite part of the game. It has pretty much everything I look for in a fantasy story - a compelling setting and characters, an otherworldly feel, a believable and truly loathsome antagonist, and something truly meaningful to say about our world. The soundtrack helps too.

This guy gets it. When I first played I thought the entire game would take place in Midgar and while I was hesitant at first I really got into it, the idea of blowing up all the reactors and defeating this evil company. Then we got into the open world and the main story which was totally awesome, but still a game in that big world setting would have been awesome.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I just got through Kalm. :wallbanger:

It's been several years since I played this game and there are just...so many holes in the story I really wonder how the remake is going to patch them all up.

...Like how could Sephiroth go his whole life without knowing who is actual mother is. I mean, PEOPLE TALK. Considering that Sephiroth looked up to Ghast, I would think that Seph would have at least heard the word Jenova from Ghast before. Considering that Seph grew up amongst the ShinRa corporation, does he personally know Ifalna or Aeris from childhood? I mean, they were being held be ShinRa for YEARS.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I just got through Kalm. :wallbanger:

It's been several years since I played this game and there are just...so many holes in the story I really wonder how the remake is going to patch them all up.

...Like how could Sephiroth go his whole life without knowing who is actual mother is. I mean, PEOPLE TALK. Considering that Sephiroth looked up to Ghast, I would think that Seph would have at least heard the word Jenova from Ghast before. Considering that Seph grew up amongst the ShinRa corporation, does he personally know Ifalna or Aeris from childhood? I mean, they were being held be ShinRa for YEARS.

Dude I just hope they give us a proper explanation of how the hell Cait Sith works. Is he a sentient robot? An remote controlled robot? An AI? It always seems like he's whatever the story needs him to be.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Ok once I get my psp sorted I'll post all my stuff up togetherr but it'll probs be really long so I'll put the chapters behind spoiler tags, that ok?
This is what I'm doing.

Mine's more or less going to be a trip down memory lane and being ridiculously nostalgic rather than focusing on particular segments of the chapter. I'm writing my thoughts/impressions as I'm going along. I've got to the part where you're leaving Aerith's (because sod the bloody Aeris shit) house to get back to Sector 7. I would've played more last night, but was tired. Hopefully going to get through the rest of the chapter today, if not tomorrow.

Enjoying it so far, regardless. Full post coming before Tuesday. :awesome:

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
I've just watched the Turks crush Sector 7 to dust. THAT is something I desperately want to see in HD. The fight with Reno, Tseng revealing that they've kidnapped Aerith, and the aftermath of the collapse of the pillar. It's one of my favorite parts of disc 1, because it's where the Turks go from kind of annoying (and possibly slightly inept) spies to full-on murderous bastards and you see just what their work really entails with Shinra. :muhaha:

Lex

Administrator
I'm about to navigate the mine that is installing the original version so I can mod it.

Also writing a front page post now. A stream time will follow shortly thereafter (either later tonight or tomorrow). Chapter two will be posted up on Tuesday :)

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I'd love to play VII alongside you guys, but I literally just played the game in February. :wacky: Might be hard to get into it again after playing it so soon. After this week is over, I might give it a try and try to catch up. :monster:
I got a street fair this week I'm gonna be in, and I'm making things like no tomorrow, so I don't really have time to be playing. Actually, I shouldn't even be posting stuff but oh well. :wacky:

clowd

Pro Adventurer
I just realized I dont have a way to play the game anymore. I sold my PS3 a few months ago so theres no way to play the digital PSN game now. I could play on the PSP, but that would be a little weird.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I just realized I dont have a way to play the game anymore. I sold my PS3 a few months ago so theres no way to play the digital PSN game now. I could play on the PSP, but that would be a little weird.

'swhat I'm doing mate.

It's better than trying to play it on an emulator on a cell phone which I have also done before... and at least that was a Sony Ericcson Xperia Play which has PS Buttons.

Incidentally. Fun little games machine but just an awful, awful phone.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
'swhat I'm doing mate.

It's better than trying to play it on an emulator on a cell phone which I have also done before... and at least that was a Sony Ericcson Xperia Play which has PS Buttons.

Incidentally. Fun little games machine but just an awful, awful phone.

I might just go the PSP route. VII is meant for the big screen, but I do feel the urge to play it again. Its been 2-3 years since my last play through

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I'm delighted to announce that after hours of fucking around (as per usual), I finally got the mods I wanted installed. Fucking finally. Includes using a hard-to-find version of xpadder and running it in admin mode to fool the game into thinking the d-pad is actually keyboard buttons. look - 8246 - I did that with my controller. Hooray for jiggery hackery software.

The stream will be tomorrow at some point between 3-7pm UK time. I actually want to do it right now, but most people are asleep at this point, and even the Americans will want to be sleeping by the time it's finished. So tomorrow it is :)

Now watch obs fuck up and me spend ages trying to get that sorted prior to the stream XD.

Top Bottom