Final Fantasy VII Community Playthrough 2015

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
I might just go the PSP route. VII is meant for the big screen, but I do feel the urge to play it again. Its been 2-3 years since my last play through

go for it. My last 8-9 playthroughs have been on my psp as i can't be bothered to plug my hdmi back into my ps3. Although i do have a tv cable for my psp which is handy. Means i can play ff7 and crisis core on any tv i happen to be near if i want something a bit bigger.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
So I'm already at Nibelheim and...

...so basically when I started this game, I noticed that I already had a save file (just before the end of disc 1 where you know what happens). I'm starting to have flashbacks of me becoming irate because the game continuously froze during the battle with Jenova...

:closedmonster:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
A bit late to catch up but that sounds good :)
Actually, first full playthrough I'll have with my modded version. I'll be happy to share my own "remake" of the Sector 5 slums.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Just finished the entire Midgar opening with a few of the guys last night. It was a blast.

To start off I'll give a few details on what version of FFVII I'm playing. I'm playing the Stream version with the Beacuase re-translation and my own difficulty mod. I started off really wanting to test out the new re-translation to see if any scenes become noticeably more clear, but now my focus has changed. I spend more time working on my difficulty mod and rebalancing the game. I decided that instead of going through each enemy stat and adjusting it by some multiple, I could preserve the original game's balance by simply cutting the exp and gil received by all enemies in half. Changing each enemy's stat is labor intensive and requires in-depth knowledge of battle formulas. However, because level affects pretty much every battle mechanic, entering every battle at a lower level should apply a fair and consistent challenge. I also went ahead and overhauled each character's stat growth. Now level 99 characters have stats that span 80 points instead of just 30 in the original game. For example, at level 99 Aerith will have a magic stat of 100 while Barret's will be around 20. This should make every character feel unique, something I feel the original game lacked. On top of this, I also added a ton of small changes that I feel are fun, like giving Bolt and Ice a 10% chance of inflicting paralysis and stop respectively, but increasing their MP cost (sound a little like Persona3?)

Now onto actually playing the game. The entire opening of Midgar is so great because there is so much attention to exposition. Every scene is littered with so much foreshadowing and detail that it was hard for my buddies to look away by the end. I'm the big Final Fantasy fan in the group, and since FF7 is my favorite game, this finally gave me the chance to utilize my expertise. I rambled about gameplay secrets and glitches (such as grabbing both potions from the downed guard after the opening) to story elements (such as the rocket in Aerith's church and Cid's comment on it later). I also let them decide on every dialog choice. It was great because when it came time to pick a dress for Cloud I already knew the best answers, but I wanted them to decide and see their decision's result. I also did something totally new and renamed the characters to whatever they wanted. Here's what we got so far:
Cloud = Alex (my name)
Barret = Barney
Tifa = Martha (they wanted it to be the most unattractive name they could think of)
Aerith = Helen
Red XIII = Rocky
I was so surprised how just changing the names could make the game feel fresh. We burst out in laughter when Helen said she'd show Alex the way to "Martha's Seventh Heaven".

We also really took Barret's "it's because of that !@#% pizza" phrase to heart and begin referring to the plate as "the cheese", the slums as "the sauce", and the polluted ground in and around Midgar as "the crust".

tl;dr: Playing with friends is hella fun.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Up to Aerith's house so far...
- Really like all the foreshadowing and the Checkhov's guns we get so early in the game.
- I'm still enjoying the scene where Cloud escapes the Shinra troopers by jumping on the train almost as much as I did 18 years ago.
- Already wondering how so many scenes are going to be handled in the remake (for instance, where the party has to jump off the train while Biggs, Wedge and Jessie escape by stealing the clothes of other passengers to remain incognito).

Replaying through Sector 5 made me feel a bit nostalgic because I have spent more than 2 years trying to re-create these environments. I'm looking forward to seeing that in the remake.
Here's a glimpse of how it looks like in game

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I also did something totally new and renamed the characters to whatever they wanted. Here's what we got so far:
Cloud = Alex (my name)
Barret = Barney
Tifa = Martha (they wanted it to be the most unattractive name they could think of)
Aerith = Helen
Red XIII = Rocky
I was so surprised how just changing the names could make the game feel fresh. We burst out in laughter when Helen said she'd show Alex the way to "Martha's Seventh Heaven".

Totally off-topic here, but one time I was playing VIII with my sis and my cousin, and we named Squall Dwonkil. :monster: Never laughed so hard at a name in my life...

Anyway I'm going now.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
So.... I finished Chapter 1 (and a bit beyond because, fuck it, why not?) and one thing that sort of stood out to me is how much there was about the Shinra Building that I forgot I remembered. I write (horribly bad) fan fiction about the Turks, so consequently a lot of my stories spend at least some time there, and I was a little shocked over how many details seemed to stick in my subconscious... to the point that they ended up in various scenes in my fan fiction without me realizing that I wasn't just pulling them out of my ass, and they're actually in the game.

And it's mostly just random, meaningless shit, too... like the fact that there's a detainment cell that's smaller than the others.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Just saved at the 64th floor of the Shinra building. Miscellaneous thoughts:
- I wonder if Square's next best reveal about the remake would be to show an image of Cloud in drag. It's funny to contemplate how much hope for the remake is resting on that.
- I wonder how Elmyra's flashback story will be presented in the remake.
- The climb to the Plate using the "shiny golden wire of hope", where you have to use batteries for dubious reasons, will probably need some strong revisions for the remake. It was definitely relying on cartoon logic and physics.
- I really like to sneak stealthily inside the building. First you get quite the Tifa/Barret banter, then you have that small stretch where you need to sneak past one by one, which is an element of gameplay seldom seen in FF games.
- I did not remember how convoluted Domino's "riddle" was. The first time I've played, 18 years ago, I guessed "Mako" because it seemed an overarching theme, and it ended up being the right answer out of sheer luck!

Lex

Administrator
Chapter Two: There's a World Out There

Chapter Target:
OzPNcFS.jpgg

(You are of course free to save outisde Corel instead since that'll be the start of the next chapter)

Target Date: 10/07/2015

Oooo, worldiness and stuff. Many Kalm flashback. Much chocobo ranch (or not if you're a cheating cheater and abuse saves to get past the zolom... or just run past the zolom at that one part where you can do that... or just fight the zolom... never mind

Lots to cover in this chappie, though in terms of story volume its slightly shorter than the last. Rejoice, for iconic yet tremendously boring flashback scene in Kalm is almost over and done with!

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Once again, my take on how these elements should be handled in the remake:

The World Map
Have you all played / seen Episode Duscae? That. I want a world map like that.

The Flashback Sequence
I have to be honest the flashback sequence I find unbearable in the game. I know it's a huge pinnacle of the story, but it's not a really enjoyable sequence IMO. It's something I would prefer to see done as a cutscene. If they must keep it as a gameplay segment, I would like to see it shortened down.

Ch-ch-ch-chocobos!
Capturing wild chocobos and taming them seems like it will be a part of FF15 so it's definitely doable in HD. But how will they handle the scene with the Midgar Zolom, which apart from the end-game material is the only real reason you need a chocobo? I think there's a great opportunity to turn this into a really tense battle / chase sequence. I wouldn't mind them making big changes to this part to make it more climactic.

Mythril Mines
I keep referencing FF15 and I'm sorry, but I would love it if the Mythril Mines were laid out like the cave in Episode Duscae. You know, where it looks like an actual cave. Dark, kind of creepy, cramped spaces. That would be awesome.

Fort Condor Battles
They need to keep this. It was like one of my favorite mini-games. I think with the possible HD scale it could be made even better, reaching full RTS heights. I envision this being a sort of resource management thing that you can get updates on your PHS regarding to keep you up-to-date. Which reminds me...

PHS
Forget party changing, this will be everything. Texts on updates from your contacts, your menu, your bankroll, managing your sidequests, perhaps even bonus objectives. The PHS better be awesome.

Junon
Keep in the dolphin. But don't just keep it. Lampshade how utterly ridiculous it is. I mean they already kind of did anyways, but more... more. I want like... well that image Mr. Ite shared levels of ridiculous. And the Rufus Welcoming sequence too, leave it exactly as is. Side note: if the TV commentors for the marching scene are named Jimma and Bobba I will laugh my ass off.

Cargo Ship Sequence
READ MY CAPS LOCK. KEEP NANAKI ON TWO FEET. KEEP NANAKI ON TWO FEET. KEEP NANAKI ON TWO FEET. THAT IS ALL.

Costa Del Sol
Expand this beach area, and keep in the villa for the yucks. I would love to see this coastal resort fully realized.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I'm barely out of Midgar, but the final part of the Shinra building gave me much to think about:
- the whole dynamic is really good (rescuing Aerith, then prisoners, then finding the President dead, then climatic fights, the escape FMV, the bike chase, the Motorball boss battle and eventually we can catch our breath).
- Hojo trying to extend the lifespan of a Cetra by having Aerith mate with Red XIII > WTF? Wonder how that's going to be handled in the remake
- Finding headless Jenova, and then following the trail of blood was a really spooky moment, and I hope they can convey this creepy atmosphere in the remake
- Something which struck me on my very first playthrough: at the time I had been initially convinced that President Shinra would be the Big Bad of the game, and I remember how shocked I was (almost as much as Barret) to find him impaled on his seat. To me that was a big plot twist which got me really exited. But now... how is it remotely possible to "surprise" the audience when almost everybody (including non-FF fans) knows Sephiroth is the real villain beforehand?
- The escape from the Shinra building with the bike (and the sa-37 truck) is a definite moment of awesome/badass, IMO. Can't wait to see that in the remake.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
We've finally hit the world map. I've always loved the feeling of saying goodbye to the congested floating city. It's only then that the true scope of this adventure begins to be realized by the player. On top of that, being confronted with the world map is also the first time you see the planet's grasslands. I think this is one of the most important aspects of FFVII's story because it shows the conflict between industrialization and environmentalism. You see so much pollution and poverty in Midgar that it makes seeing the open fields a truly special experience. At least it did for me anyway. I really hope that the remake is also able to capture this contrast and focus on this theme throughout the game.
(I also love how the sky begins to clear the further you move from Midgar. That effect always made me want to stay in the light as much as possible. Yay to little things!)

The only thing I have to say about the Nibelheim Incident is that I hope they briefly introduce Genesis' involvement here. In CC, they expanded the story so that Sephiroth is confronted by Genesis after a makonoid pod opens. I really hope that in the remake when Cloud gets to this part of his story that his memory begins to get foggy. We then only see tiny bits of Genesis and the rest just flashes to white. Now it should be known that I dislike Genesis being in the Nibelheim Incident at all. However, it's obvious that the remake will include Compilation elements so I can only hope that the additions will be done tastefully.

I also hope that the Mythril Mine is slightly expanded. A sidequest where you help the workers clear it of monsters of something would be great. I always felt bad for that kid in Kalm whose father is drinking his days away due to the monster infestation.

Fort Condor and lower Junon are also great for showcasing the industrialization vs environmentalism theme. I can't wait to see both in all their glory in the remake. Please keep the RTS minigame. I think it would be great if you received messages on your PHS about a battle happening soon.

And finally I think the entire Junon parade sequence will remain largely the same. It's a wonderful event and I hope that the remake makes it even more chaotic and fun.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Ok... the blood trails in the Shinra Building? Still creepy as fuck. :)

I'm wondering how they'll handle the escape minigame in the remake... I know a lot of people like it, but it was really never one of my favorites. I always have trouble getting Cloud into position to smack the Shinra guys to the pavement. I think it's the camera angle that throws me off. Top-down (or hell, maybe just the ability to reposition it) would make it a lot more intuitive.

Also, the Kalm flashback sequence wasn't *quite* as grueling as I remembered it being... but god, it was still long as hell. When you need to have a save point mid-way through your giant sequence 'o exposition, you've gone too far. This is probably the only part of the game that I'm desperately hoping they do something different with in the remake.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I had better start my playthrough tonight or it won't happen until next week. I think I'll do a Magic Only challenge, so no physical attacks, limit breaks or items. I've already done a No Materia challenge, so I'm thinking the reverse might be fun too. MP usage should be interesting.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I'm behind on this since I had my laptop problems this week. On the top of my head, I know that I'm trying to get the ingedients for Cloud's cross-dressing experience. There are some things revolving around that I've NEVER done before and did it on a whim because of one particular thing I bought with the coupon. Still got my post to come! :awesome:

Lex

Administrator
Chapter Three: The Cat, The Corpse and The Pilot

Chapter Target:
dAhTp5y.png

Target Date: 14/07/2015

We fill out our roster and the journey is well underway by the end of this chapter. There's also a bunch of optional stuff to do thanks to the buggy, manipulate materia, Gongaga, and our two optionals if you haven't already recruited Yuffie (now would be the time to do so, because the next chapter can contain Wutai if you choose to do it).

Happy recruiting!

Question: should we give the next chapter a week to itself? I ask because of the optional stuff (including Wutai). In terms of raw story it's about the same length as the previous chapters, but when you factor in Wutai etc it's rather long.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Soon, very soon I'll be able to play along with you. In answer to your question, that might be a good idea since a lot of that is also probably gonna be spend leveling to prepare for stuff like ToA and the end of Disk 1.

Anyways, my remake checklist:

Corel
Gloom and destruction is always fun, but I hope they find a way to logically connect the tram to Gold Saucer. I mean it's like the entire town is in shambles, but look we got a tram to the amusement park. Keep Barret's storyline the exact same.

Gold Saucer
I have ranted about this to great extent. I will again. I want more, bigger, better and just as awesome. I want incredible arcade games that make the originals look silly (though still feature the originals for nostalgia) . I want a super amped up haunted house in Ghost Hotel. I want the roller coaster to be epic. I'd like there to be actual shows at the Event Square (perhaps an FMV viewer, a la FFX). And Chocobo Racing but with a lot more tracks. Possibly throw in a few other events such as Triple Triad, Blitzball and as a nod to FF14- Cactpot. And card games. Lots of card games.

Corel Prison
The sprawling desert was so freaking eerie in its own unique way, so let's try to recapture that. Honestly you wouldn't need to change too much here.

Gongaga
Another area where I don't have much to say, except keep it about the same and make sure Zack's story is done justice.

Cosmo Canyon
HD Lifestream sequence. That is going to kick ass. I really feel like this has the potential to be one of the most beautiful villages in the HD remake.

Nibelheim
Okay returning to the origin for not just Cloud, but Zack and the compilation in general. I want to be creeped out and I want to feel that dark sense of foreboding. Also, of course, keep Vincent here and make his quest more or less the same. I can understand if they make him essential, but keep the quest the same at least. I liked hunting stuff down.

Rocket Town
Maybe expand a bit. This segment always seemed kind of short to me. And as tough as it might be to stomach with somebody who is supposed to be a hero, keep the verbal abuse the same. It's important to show him as an ass now, because it amplifies his sorrow and regret once everything pieces together at the end.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I got to Beginner's Hall last night and stopped playing so I could sleep. It's going to take me a while to catch up. :P

I've been debating whether or not to allow the use of the Defend and Change commands in battle. My instinct is to disallow them, since the challenge is "magic only", but should I then also be prevented from changing rows in the menu between battles? That would seem like taking it a bit far to me. I think I'll adjust the challenge "no physical attacks, no items".

Top Bottom