Report Bugs

Lex

Administrator
It's totally painful on the eyes though. On my background, it's completely unreadable. I just totally skip over all the posts in black.

Fangu

Great Old One
Here's a hint of why there is just 1 person using the black and 1 person using the white user name color: :sadpanda:

Thing is though, because you guys didn't see the text, you never noticed there's just 1 person using it.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
the posts aren't in black though, just the username. You can still read her posts just fine. I personally don't see the big deal tbh.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Yeah, I don't see the big deal either. That's just Looney and Hito having their fun. If someone's posts were too dark, that would be another matter.

EDIT: Btw, you can actually see her name in threads. She was placed in a usergroup so her name would appear black when she thanks someone. And, Hito's is white for epic panda time.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Yeah, basically, if someone's username in the thanks list is black, it's looney. We're probably not going to add anyone else to that usergroup precisely so you won't need to worry about it keeping track of illegible names :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
What we really need is some smart CSS rules; if username color == black and theme == dark, username color == white. And things like that. This can actually be represented quite nicely in LESS:

Code:
.mixin (@a) when (lightness(@a) >= 50%) {
  background-color: black;
}
.mixin (@a) when (lightness(@a) < 50%) {
  background-color: white;
}

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
forum search no longer seems to work, keeps giving me this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu) Server at thelifestream.net Port 80

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
search worked ok for me hito. I searched "boob" and came up with a plethora of threads :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
okay, it's been a dick and working sometimes but not others for me :monster: like if i click that 'find all thanked posts' link when you click on search, that doesn't work.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Hm. Could be a bunch of things; I'm inclined to believe it lies somewhere in the memory limits I've set in the database client or something. Actually, I haven't the slightest, :monster:. Searches are just rather heavy on the server, and iirc, most configuration is still set to that of the old (underpowered) server. I think I can tickle up those settings a bit, seeing that afaik we've been running very stable for as long as we've been on the dedicated server, even with the spike in activity from the past few days.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Flintlock reported an issue with the calendar, he indicated he couldn't view calendars for 2013; apparently, the vB devs didn't expect the world to exist after 2012, mayan calendar etc.

Turns out it's a setting in vB, the current setting was 2006 - 2013. I set it to the maximum value (2037), which according to a note at the setting ("Start year must be greater than 1969. End Year must be less than 2038.") can't be higher than 2037.

This has to do with Unix time and the fact it's stored in 32 bits numbers in the database; the max date representable in unix time is 2038-01-19. At 03:14:07 UTC. Which means our software will, at that point in time, simply drop dead and die, :monster:. Or simply overflow back to 1901, which would be funnier :monster:. See also year 2038 problem; think Millennium bug, only more realistic.

lulz :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
TLS was down for a couple of hours this morning; the automated backup triggered, spitting out a 6.8 GB backup, causing the disk to become too full, causing the database to quit, :monster:. Should figure out backup file rotation or something.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I just noticed something odd with our RSS feed: it displays the contents of HTML comments, which are supposed to be hidden.

As an example, I have a section in each roundup for welcoming new members, but when there aren't any, I leave the welcoming message in a comment. That way, it's not displayed, but it's easy for me to access when I copy and paste the template for my next roundup.

Viewing the roundups in Google Reader, however, reveals that they don't hide the commented out code:

HVl.png

I wonder if it's a known Wordpress bug?

Fangu

Great Old One
It's because you haven't closed the comment tag properly, and/or it's placed weirdly between the <p>, <ul> and <li> tags.

Code:
<p><!--
<li>A warm welcome to our newest forum member, <a href="http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13250" >tsakalof</a>!</li>
<p> &#8211;></p>

There's an - missing in the closing tag, it says -> when it should be -->. The first <p> tag isn't properly closed either, as you see. Wordpress has tried to close stuff up.

Mind you I've only taken this from viewing the final output source code in my browser, I haven't looked at the article itself. If you haven't tried already, you could try something like this:

Code:
<h3>Community news</h3>
<ul>
<li>The fifth chapter of the <a href="http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?p=498157#post498157" >Final Fantasy IX community playthrough</a> has been published, and takes in Cleyra, Alexandria and Lindblum.</li>
<li>Round two of the showdown between the armies of the Final Fantasy series is under way. You can follow the progress and cast your vote <a href="http://thelifestream.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19" >here</a>.
<li>Happy birthday to <a href="http://thelifestream.net/forums/member.php?u=32" >Treize Khushrenada</a>, who turned 26 last week!</li>
<!--<li>A warm welcome to our newest forum member, <a href="http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13250" >tsakalof</a>!</li>-->
</ul>

I can't guarantee WP will like it though, but it might be happier about it. Note that any Enter'ing done in the bullet list while in Visual Editor might fuck it up. The safest thing is to copy out that part of the list and reuse it when you want to. I said safest, the choice is yours.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
It's because you haven't closed the comment tag properly, and/or it's placed weirdly between the <p>, <ul> and <li> tags.

There's an - missing in the closing tag, it says -> when it should be -->. The first <p> tag isn't properly closed either, as you see. Wordpress has tried to close stuff up.

Mind you I've only taken this from viewing the final output source code in my browser, I haven't looked at the article itself. If you haven't tried already, you could try something like this:

I can't guarantee WP will like it though, but it might be happier about it. Note that any Enter'ing done in the bullet list while in Visual Editor might fuck it up. The safest thing is to copy out that part of the list and reuse it when you want to. I said safest, the choice is yours.
The tag is correct in the WP editor. I think the problem is that WP is putting it between <p> tags, as you pointed out. I'll try your suggestion next time, and if it still doesn't work, I'll just get rid of it and save it in a text file on my computer or something. Thanks for looking into it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Random post in a random thread, I just removed a spambot for the heck of it, and as it turns out, spambots / newbies can edit their signature to chuck links in there. I turned that off, see if it discourages spambots. Probably not, :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
It won't; spambots seem to be completely oblivious to whether they can actually spam the place up :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'm posting here to avoid making the original thread go off topic.

Cant read your font with that colour :/

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has guidelines for making sure text is accessible to everyone, including visitors with impaired vision. This tool can be used to determine whether a given pair of colours (foreground and background) have enough brightness and colour contrast to be accessible. For reference, the thread background colour on the default TLS skin is #081315.

Insane Cultist's custom font colour ("Blue", #0000FF) doesn't pass the test:

73m.png

But then again, neither does our default font colour (#88888F), though it comes close:

83m.png

Should we do something about that? It might be worth making our default font colour a couple of notches lighter. As for custom colours, I am against them altogether (and have them switched off in my Control Panel through the option called "Disable users' custom formatting in posts"), as they may conflict with a user's choice of skin, or browser constraints, or custom CSS, but if we're going to keep them, we should perhaps tell people to change their colour selections if they aren't accessible enough.

Fangu

Great Old One
The WCAG standards are divided into A, AA and AAA, AAA being the strictest rules when it comes to readability. Our font color supports AA, which is sufficient, I guess. Black is a horrible background color anyway, I don´t think changing the font color would make a big difference.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
If someone has problems with readability they can just switch to The Lifestream White or another styleset (although it might be worth making one of those the default). I do agree it might be worth enforcing readability standards for custom font colours though.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I just tried posting a new roundup, but it wouldn't show up on the front page. A couple of refreshes later the site stopped working altogether - HTTP 500 error. I don't know what happened, because the forum is still working, and I didn't do anything particularly unusual when writing my article :huh:

Lex

Administrator
FLINT IS A NORTH KOREAN AGENT AND NORTH KOREA HATES TLS RUNNNNNNNN...

Yeah seriously though, the site is down. Might be something to do with the updates yesterday or something?

Fangu

Great Old One
Food for Yop, I'm at work.

It might be related to the updates, but most probably it's something unrelated.

Edit: It looks like some faulty CHMOD settings in the root directory. None of the files in the root can be executed. I'm not gonna try CHMOD'ing through Filezilla, so I'll wait for Yop to fix it :) What did it I have no idea.

I tried to chmod the 500.cshtml file to 775 but all I got was:

Command: SITE CHMOD 775 500.shtml
Response: 550 SITE CHMOD command failed.

That might be because I lack permission, or stuff is just fucked in general :P

http://thelifestream.net/hugemonster.png can be reached, but that one has a different owner than the rest of the files in that folder.

The only files I can see was changed around the time Flint experienced problems is the Google xml-plugin packages. I removed them and put them back in, no difference when they were gone.

Theory #2 is that the problems are PHP related.

I slapped a random index.html-file in the root until we get it fixed.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Hey, thanks for that rapid response, :monster:

I SSH'd into that motherbitch and service php5-fpm restarted that shit like a boss, check my 1337 commandline skillz yo. Guess the PHP service just keeled over and died for the heck of it.

Top Bottom