You know what I find ironic?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I really don't know why that reference came to mind, but I really liked that episode despite not liking the FMA anime that much compared to the manga.

And I love how Dacon just had to pop into this thread to say that. :monster:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
FFVII was enjoyable, but in retrospect I don't think it's as great as everyone said it was. There are a lot of aspects of the game that could have been improved significantly.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
[quote author=V link=topic=603.msg24173#msg24173 date=1235778957]
FFVII was enjoyable, but in retrospect I don't think it's as great as everyone said it was. There are a lot of aspects of the game that could have been improved significantly.
[/quote]

That's a fair and honest critique. With FFXIII, it's possible you may feel the exact same way. Find it enjoyable while not being the absolute best. And that's not always a bad thing.

I enjoyed FFVIII but its not one I enjoyed as much as say...FFX, FFXII, FFVI or FFIX. But that doesn't take away from what makes FFVIII good in its own unique way.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
FFVII wasn't the greatest game of all time; it was something you coul blow your load over, given the time that it was made in. 1997 was a good year and it was a good game for that year. But given the things that need improving, like V mentioned, easter eggs and hidden passages, extra materia and that DAMN CAVE TO NOWHERE.. Y'know it could be really something.

...AFTER XIII is made ofc. :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
The NA version of FF7 has aged poorly.

Kuraudo

Ex-Soldier
AKA
Cloudsoul
[quote author=Masamune link=topic=603.msg24072#msg24072 date=1235769794]
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=603.msg24069#msg24069 date=1235769526]And I LOL at people prejudging FFXIII before it's even got a demo out. People were saying the same shit about FFXII, too.[/quote]

You only get one chance to make a first impression.
[/quote]

Masamune is right, and I've played FFXII, it sucked. My First impression was that it sucked. Battle System sucked, couldn't wear a hat till level 20 or something, I lol at that.

Staying on topic, I don't see FFVII being remade for a couple or more years, I don't see why SE went to the trouble to tease people with a demo, and yet use FFVII when they could have used another game they had sights on. Tease the shark, shark's gonna eat you. Eventually *insert jaws theme*

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
FFXII is awesome. I hate you and you're a bad person.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=603.msg24158#msg24158 date=1235777750]
[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=603.msg24102#msg24102 date=1235772807]
And even then, it'll most likely be a port to a handheld console or a download on one of the console's networks with minor tweaks and additions than a full-on remake.

To be honest, I think they will make it too but I don't think it'll be a half-assed port or DL title because they know that's not what people want at all.
[/quote]

Perhaps, but did the people want FFI, II, III, IV, V and VI to be ported to (and I'm probably not entirely correct here) both the PS1 and GBA? Those were (and this is only factual for 1, 2 and 6 btw) all ported one to one, with just a few additions.

True, with the Compilation Square has raised the bar an enormous amount for themselves, which makes it far less likely they'll just go cheap and do a port with some minor extra's, but still.
[/quote]

I think people weren't really wanting ports and remakes of those as much as people are asking for a FFVII remake (even people within the company!).
No one is really expecting a classic FF to be remade on one of the big consoles. If it happens that'd be even more epic but it's more like "it's most likely gonna be on a handheld" or hell, it could be on ANY console. All in all, the possibilities for the classic games are pretty open. It could be on anything and most people would be happy.

But after that tech demo most people seem to really wanna see this on PS3. Most people are expecting it to be on PS3.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Honestly the only way I'd be persuaded to buy a PS3 is if they remade FFVI for it. I should add that's one of the reasons I'm not terribly interested in FFXIII - no interest in getting a next-gen console right now. I just don't play games enough to justify it.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Shut up Jew. Your opinion does not matter.

When you get back into gaming then it shall mean somethig :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I've been replaying FFVI lately on emulator, does that count? :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Just out of curiosity, Nomura isn't MAKING FFXIII, is he? He only designed the characters. His project is Versus, right? (Ironically, that's one people act more excited about)

[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=603.msg25030#msg25030 date=1235925839]
Just out of curiosity, Nomura isn't MAKING FFXIII, is he? He only designed the characters. His project is Versus, right? (Ironically, that's one people act more excited about)
[/quote]

Right. He's the character designer of FFXIII but he's directing Versus. I've always wondered what exactly is the extent of his involvement of the games he designs for since some people make it out to be like he's got significant influence over the games' stories or something... which always seemed a bit odd to me.

But yeah, about a remake, I would think that they know of the demand for it but are holding out for logistical reasons. Even though I'd rather them just focus on new FFs, I think FFVII does warrant a remake, moreso maybe than the other FFs - its graphics have aged the worst, being the first 3D FF, and it definitely could use a new translation.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
FF7's graphics have aged the worse alright, it's the worst looking of the 3d games, and the 2d games, well those are timeless :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The 2D games aren't really timeless either. At least I think so about NES games and anything older. But SNES graphics man, those will never get old for me. =D

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Hey, I can still play the NES games and be perfectly contented.

I think FF7's problem is the art direction sort of clashes, with the shitty chibi looking characters with block hands superimposed on detailed thoughtfully designed backgrounds.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
[quote author=Dacon link=topic=603.msg25127#msg25127 date=1235941305]
Hey, I can still play the NES games and be perfectly contented.

I think FF7's problem is the art direction sort of clashes, with the shitty chibi looking characters with block hands superimposed on detailed thoughtfully designed backgrounds.
[/quote]

^This. It's a ded serios story (and if not, at least the fans have made it so), but the character design (in-game) and animations don't do the game any justice. I have to add to that that also applies to the older FF games, with plain cartoony graphics and animations.

[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=603.msg25121#msg25121 date=1235941084]
The 2D games aren't really timeless either. At least I think so about NES games and anything older. But SNES graphics man, those will never get old for me. =D
[/quote]

But even the older 2D graphics are "retro", which is all the rage nowadays :monster: .

Agreed about the pre-rendered backgrounds; those things were insanely detailed. Also, looking back, there was a really giant graphical leap, in terms of models and FMVs, between FFVII and FFVIII.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=sundials link=topic=603.msg25163#msg25163 date=1235944963]
[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=603.msg25121#msg25121 date=1235941084]
[/quote]

But even the older 2D graphics are "retro", which is all the rage nowadays :monster: .

Agreed about the pre-rendered backgrounds; those things were insanely detailed. Also, looking back, there was a really giant graphical leap, in terms of models and FMVs, between FFVII and FFVIII.
[/quote]

Yeah, but it wasn't just models and fmvs, the backgrounds, interfaces, and animations were also vastly more pleasant to the eyes.

Made me wish they'd have spent a little more time with FF7, given what the could do with the psone.

Purple

Charmed
I personally think that they're gonna milk the FVII cow dry before they make a remake.

So that'll probably be in 10 years time.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
FFVII's remake basically just needs a graphical upgrade. Granted, I'm not sure how I'll feel about all the changes. Chibi characters with raging biceps and blocks for hands changed to look like normal people. It would be great but it would be weird in a different sort of way.... does anybody else get what I mean?

If they could get Nobou back to just remix a few certain tracks and make them all mp3's for better quality... review all the voiceactors of the previous games to decide who should do what (considering Yuffie had two, and Aeris had 3. Possibly find someone new to replace that irritating little Cait Sith?) Track down new voice actors for all those other characters forgotten in the movies but crucial to the game (Yaaay Buganhagen, Dyne, and Elmyra.) I think if they gave voices to characters like that and more, who still played a good role in the story, it would make it all the more enoyable and emotional in some bits.

....but.. they probably will milk it until they realise that we think it's never coming, and then try and surprise us. :/

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Made me wish they'd have spent a little more time with FF7, given what the could do with the psone.

Actually, I don't think it would've made much difference - 3D modeling techniques and game engines were still pretty primitive compared to today's stuff.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
FF7 needs a shitload more than just a graphical update, hell that's part of the reason they haven't done it yet. A remake would be a monumental undertaking.

[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=603.msg25739#msg25739 date=1236022396]

Actually, I don't think it would've made much difference - 3D modeling techniques and game engines were still pretty primitive compared to today's stuff.
[/quote]

I disagree, seeing as how FF8 was released not that long after 7, and it still looks great today imo. But yeah, it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference since they had already committed to the graphics and shit.

Top Bottom