You know what I find ironic?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah, and they've probably decided on the graphical style / level early on during development - you don't see people changing that halfway in a lot of cases. Still though, the game would've looked better if they would've used the in-battle models outside of battle. In fact, I wonder how much of a performance loss that would've given - I'm kinda sure they've tried that.

I also heard that they modded the PC version of the game to show the battle models in-game, but I'm not sure about that.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=603.msg25815#msg25815 date=1236028155]
Yeah, and they've probably decided on the graphical style / level early on during development - you don't see people changing that halfway in a lot of cases. Still though, the game would've looked better if they would've used the in-battle models outside of battle. In fact, I wonder how much of a performance loss that would've given - I'm kinda sure they've tried that.

I also heard that they modded the PC version of the game to show the battle models in-game, but I'm not sure about that.
[/quote]

Actually, yeah they did. I played the pc version like that before. There's a few animation clashes and shit but for the most part it works fine.

I think they could have done it without causing too much of a performance issue.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Well, FFVIII was made after their experiences with FF7, the graphics of which were quite a step up from the N64 tech demo. They definitely could have done more with FF7, but it was their first real 3D game as far as I know, so I'm gonna cut it a little slack.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
[quote author=Ryushikaze link=topic=603.msg25824#msg25824 date=1236028492]
Well, FFVIII was made after their experiences with FF7, the graphics of which were quite a step up from the N64 tech demo. They definitely could have done more with FF7, but it was their first real 3D game as far as I know, so I'm gonna cut it a little slack.
[/quote]

There was no N64 tech demo, unless you mean the interactive FFVI demo run on SGI Workstations.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
If Square Enix remade FFVII I'm pretty sure they'd want to throw in hints towards the plots of other Compilation titles as well. It's kind of odd that you have an entire game where Genesis and Angeal aren't even mentioned, because you'd think they'd be considered pretty damn important. Although it is possible that people just decided to hush up about it, which I wouldn't know because I still haven't played CC, :monster:.

also the translation would definitely need to be fixed on any remake as well, and there are certain aspects of the plot that they'd probably want to make much more prominent.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=603.msg25826#msg25826 date=1236028655]
[/quote]

There was no N64 tech demo, unless you mean the interactive FFVI demo run on SGI Workstations.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjkzEhIsj8#noexternalembed

This is what I was referring to.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
[quote author=Ryushikaze link=topic=603.msg25843#msg25843 date=1236029220]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude, that pwns :monster:.
[/quote]

This. They started development in 1994 for the SNES according to Wikipedia (which is pretty luzly to read, see here. Hot Blooded Detective Joe? > Cloud, for sheezy) (also, the demo linked to above is the SGI demo, see here).

I was looking at that to see at what time they developed FFVII and compare it to other games developed at that time, in specific in terms of graphics, but I'm not sure. The article says they resumed in late 1995 with the game's development, so I can assume that most of the graphics were done during 1996? 1996 was the year of Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, the first Resident Evil, Super Mario 64, Crash Bandicoot (same system), and the first Tomb Raider - which, in spite of my own suspicions, all had superior graphics compared to FFVII's non-battle ones, :/. At least, as far as I can remember - I could be wrong though.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
[quote author=Ryushikaze link=topic=603.msg25843#msg25843 date=1236029220]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, that's the SGI demo. People often mistake it for being an N64 tech demo (since the N64 had something to do with the whole SGI shenanigans too and back then a lot of people also expected that FF would continue on a Nintendo console) but it was a fully interactive and playable demo running on an SGI workstation. At that time, it was not yet decided on which console FF would continue.

Also, FF in New York City? Citation needed.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=603.msg25883#msg25883 date=1236033730]
Also, FF in New York City? Citation needed.
[/quote]

I believe this was referred in the so-called FFVII Early Files, featured in the FFVII Ultimania Omega. It covers a lot of ideas that staff had for FFVII but never used in the actual game.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
That mentions nothing about it being set in New York, though. Maybe that was earlier than the Early Files cover, but the EF features Midgar.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
IIRC, it was revealed in an interview. Possibly in Dismantling. And Tets, I never bothered learning much about it. It got referred to as the N64 demo for the longest time, and IIRC the first I saw of it was in Nintendo Power.
In any case, my point that it was still Square's first real foray into 3D and that they weren't sure about the leap to 'real' just yet stands. Obviously, they learned from their experience and got a lot better because of it.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I had always heard that even then Midgar was a part of the setting. Never about it being in NYC in 1999. I think that's just wiki bullshit unless I see proof telling me otherwise. o.O

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
It all comes down to this. A remake of Final Fantasy VII for the PS3 isn't going to be like remaking FFVI for the GBA or FFIV for the DS.

PS3 quality games require a lot of money and a large development team. It would, in terms of staff requirements, basically be the same as making an entirely new game. New graphics, new camera works, new programming, new translations, new voice acting, new music recordings, new just about everything. Especially if they transition it into full 3D, which I'm sure they would.

If they devote their dev teams to something like that, they won't be able to work on new games. And for the foreseable future, they have their plates full with new games.

Maybe when Fabula Nova Crystallis is complete, possibly when KH3 is out of the way, we'll see a FFVII remake, but I can't possibly see it coming any sooner than that.

Edit: Since nobody else jumped on this, I'm gonna have to.
[quote author=V link=topic=603.msg24143#msg24143 date=1235776567]
I don't really have particularly high expectations for FFXIII mostly because I don't have much evidence that Nomura is capable of creating games I find particularly interesting. Most of my favourite titles in the series were ones in which he didn't have a particularly large role in, so it's pretty safe to extrapolate from his large role in this one that I won't like it as much.[/quote]
Nomura's involvement with FFXIII doesn't go much deeper than character designs. He's working on FF Versus XIII, his own game, and the first in the series he's directing. FFXIII is being done by the core FF team, Versus is by the AC and KH teams.

Aside from that, Nomura's only been "pretty involved" in the development of FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX, with minor involvement in FFV.

The level of his involvement varies from game to game. It needs to be understood that game design is a community project and everyone has some say and input.

Nomura started working with FFIV, I believe as a debugger.

FFV, he worked on monster designs and battle graphics, and had some minor influence on the story, I believe. One of his suggestions for the ending was taken into consideration, IIRC.

FFVI, he was the graphics director, and was in charge of adapting Amano's designs into the chibi artwork I'm sure you've seen in instruction books and on the internet, which was used as the basis for the game's sprites. He had more influence on this game, submitting lots of suggestions, some of which were taken and others were not. He also designed both Shadow and Setzer, which were brought into the game.

FFVII is where he really started to have a major influence. Though he was officially just the character designer, he also worked closely with Kitase and Nojima to develop Sakaguchi's original ideas and on the plot as a whole.

FFVIII, Nomura and Kitase went back and forth brainstorming via email, and he came up with the basic concept of an "academy feel" which evolved into the Gardens. Nomura did the character designs, and this time they were done in his more preferred "realistic" style, as opposed to the chibi/anime style of FFVII. He originally designed Fuujin and Raijin for FFVII but they were ultimately dropped, and he also designed Edea before FFVII, based on Amano's style, perhaps as a potential character design for FFVI.

I'm not really sure how deeply he was involved in FFX, as I've never really made much of an effort to research it, though I'm sure his involvement was similar to FFVII and FFVIII, mostly focused on character design but with input on the scenario and direction.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yeah, see, I wasn't that impressed with either FFX or FFVII; I felt them to be substantially underwhelming compared to several other entries in the series, especially after all the praise they'd received. I haven't played FFVIII though, so maybe my opinion will change after playing that.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But I still find it hard to believe that Nomura's handful of suggestions are the reason you didn't like those games as much. FF7 especially, sure his influence may have been greater than before, but certainly not moreso than Sakaguchi, Kitase, and Nojima.

I'm not so much targetting you as a larger line of thought I see often. I guess just because Nomura seems to talk the most in interviews and stuff people assume that everything SE does, good and bad, are his doing.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Well to be fair, I guess the fact that I also find his visual style very unappealing contributes, since that's been the dominant aspect of what we've seen of FFXIII so far. :P I mean yeah, FFXIII may surprise me, but I haven't really seen much to excite me thus far. That's all I'm saying.

Purple

Charmed
Same here. It looks great but I'm not really excited about it. I'm more excited for Versus XIII TBH.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
[quote author=Suzaku link=topic=603.msg26193#msg26193 date=1236081819]
FFV, he worked on monster designs and battle graphics, and had some minor influence on the story, I believe. One of his suggestions for the ending was taken into consideration, IIRC.
[/quote]
Was that the other way around? I remember reading something about Nomura making a suggestion for FFV's ending, but they ended up just using the original idea. But I don't remember where I might have read that now.

Username

Banned
Well to the OP.....

I agree, if they are gonna make a Remake of 7 it would do justice for all this other shite they have introduced to every device currently on the market.

I think the compilation of FF7 is shit to be honest, and to be fair, i havent played or seen any of the so called add-ons to the compilation (part from the movie). People must understand that the only reason they did this was for the money and that in itself ruins it, no matter how well plotlines fit into the original storyline of FF7, the whole thing seems "cheap" to me.

I am a supporter for a remake, and mabey 1 additional add-on, but the amount of extra info and games and stuff that has been introduced throughout the past couple of years shames the whole point of FF7.

Hardcore fan or not, it simply confuses the average FF7 fan into not knowing what has been said, quoted or seen. i only abide by the original game, not that crap.

sorry for my bloody rant.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
You know, your opinion on it might be more valid and worth something if you actually did bother to play it or see it for yourself...

And dude. Everything's for the money. Did you think the original FFVII was community service or something? :monster:

The fact they did it for the money is irrelevant. It's the quality that should be the determinant.

Username

Banned
You know, your opinion on it might be more valid and worth something if you actually did bother to play it or see it for yourself...

And dude. Everything's for the money. Did you think the original FFVII was community service or something? :monster:

The fact they did it for the money is irrelevant. It's the quality that should be the determinant.

Yeah but thats the thing, its not not bothering to play it, its buying the psp game, thats if i have a psp, then there was DoC, which i never got, then extra scenes of Advent childen if they meant anything...oh and that mobile phone game, i dunno if that told us more about the complilation, if it did, i don't know about it.

What i'm saying is, if they just did advent children, i would be fine with it, but anything else added is verging on the edge of greed as they are almost forcing a fan of FF7 to buy their product to find out what happened/happens, yes, they could read about it and research it, but that will never be as clear as buying and playing it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
So you don't like how its all on multiple platforms and stuff?

I can understand that point. But that's the way gaming and shit is going. It's really just the sad truth to gaming.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Or you could just not care where the story goes if it bothers you that they're releasing that many items for different systems? Just saying... :monster: The whole Compilation can be seen as basically fan fiction without Sakaguchi involved anyway.

Username

Banned
The thing is, i do care, and i wanna understand but i dont wanna read through pages of info that don't make sence. I'm not the kinda person that would buy a FF7 related game just for the storyline, i hope that the games they have released do fit well and stuff, but instead of the old discussions and information about the old classic FF7, whatever site i visit now has all this other stuff combined and IMO it ruins it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You could say that about any franchise you don't like or can't be arsed to follow up with V. The reality is, is that franchises get different people who come on board, and sometimes people on the team move on and do different things. If the majority of the group's there, then that's good.

And really, while Sakaguchi gave the initial premise of the story, Kitase, Nojima and Nomura ended up tweaking it and giving the final details of the game as we know it.

Hell if it were just Sakaguchi we might just have Hot Blooded Detective Joe instead. :monster:

@User Name

Well things change dood. You may have just outgrown FFVII, that's all.

Top Bottom