• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Square Enix Fails To Anticipate Final Fantasy VII Remake Demand

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Recently, Square-Enix posted on its official Twitter account asking for people's opinions on a possible Final Fantasy VII remake. Ever since the infamous tech demo shown at E3 way back in 2005, fans of the game have been begging for a remake from Square-Enix.

Of course, after the countless amounts of teasing coming from Square-Enix, the response on their official twitter was huge!

Square-Enix's official twitter was chock-a-block with positive fan responses, so much so that they had to ask people to stop because they were so overwhelmed. Readers should also bare in mind that this was only from the Japanese audience. If Square-Enix were ever to post that question where westerners could see it easily, the response would have possibly been tenfold.

This insane number of responses may have been unprecedented by Square-Enix, but this writer would have been surprised if fans didn't latch on to this opportunity to get their opinions heard.

So why is this bit of news more interesting than other taunts from the giant RPG developers, you may ask?

Well, this is the first time Square-Enix has actually approached its audience about a possible remake themselves, instead of letting information reach them through different sources.
So maybe, after being asked this question countless times in interviews. before, they are beginning to listen to their fans and are considering a remake, if they haven't been already.
http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/ne...ate-final-fantasy-vii-remake-demand--846.html

haw.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I don't frontpage.

Would rather discuss it here anyway.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Fifteenth anniversary in 2012. I'm just saying.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Don't waste time, talent and resources on a remake, commit yourself to an original story told on a proper console devoid of gimmicky tie-ins.

Please.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Don't waste time, talent and resources on a remake, commit yourself to an original story told on a proper console devoid of gimmicky tie-ins.

Please.

What are you retarded?

THIS IS SE.

NoenGaruth

That Guy With The Midgar Model
AKA
NoenGaruth, Stolz, Blitzwing, Ryoko Asakura, Judge Magister Gabranth, Col. Hans Landa, Itsuki Koizumi, Treize Khushrenada
Oh Alex, you know that will never happen :monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I know.

What was I thinking ;.;

jelly

Pro Adventurer
Ew... I don't want a remake.

I don't really understand what people want out of it besides better graphics and voices. FF7 is fine the way it is. Some people think it has to be fit better with the rest of the compilation. To be honest, FF7>compilation. Sometimes I still wish there was no compilation. As much as I liked getting to know more about Zack and Cloud and Tifa having their family, I still think it was more fun speculating on those things. I would hate it if things had to be changed around to accomodate for the complication compiliation which just "messed" things up in the first place.

And I think FF7 was probably the last title that really had charm and weird-but-appropriate humor that I don't see much in the new titles.

LicoriceAllsorts said:
Though the original has a huge, quirky charm, due in part to all the plotholes, inconsistencies, and unexplained wierdness, as well as the delightful graphics, that I fear might get lost in the 'improvements'.

+1

The wall market-Don Corneo scene is going to be more disturbing than funny.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
MORE about a remake? Why is all this remake stuff coming out now? Did I miss something?

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
I could make FF7 better than what it was and have some great ideas of how to do that without sacrificing the story and the orginal premises. (for a kick off more areas in the gold saucer with more minigames...lots of them)

Sadly, SquareEnix won't do that. They will change it. They will rearrange it. They will ruin it with bloated cutscenes and the rest.

Do we really want to see FF7 ruined? I don't. Not for the sake of some dick head to say "this game has the best cutscenes I have ever seeeeeen!!!!!! 10/10"

as if that is what I played it for originally....

If there is a remake I want it to be FF7 with improvements, not FF7 First person shooter. I must add that all this remake obsession is exremely annoying. Go get the PC version and install some of the mods- they make the game better than it was and are as close as you are gonna get for some time to "a remake". :awesome: seriously though :)

Last edited:

Vendel

Banned
I would rather they spend years on a FFVII-2 (or EC or whatever) than a remake.

Not that I am against it.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog

Please.

I am literally not interested in any original stories SE has to tell. The best they can do is look back to their past games for anything I'd enjoy.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
I wonder what EC would stand for... Eternal Chaos? Everlasting Crisis? Epiphany Cheerios?...

.. I like that one... Epiphany Cheerios... sweet

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
I don't really understand what people want out of it besides better graphics and voices. FF7 is fine the way it is. Some people think it has to be fit better with the rest of the compilation.

Isn't that already a good enough reason to want a remake? To have it fit in with the rest of the Compilation?

I can understand that some people love the quirkiness of VII, but by making a remake, it's not like SquEx will order a recall of all copies of the original game. If you want to drown yourself in nostalgia, all you have to do is play the old game and ignore the new one if it offends you, right? I think a lot of fans, however, would like to see a VII with voice acting, better cutscenes, and that fits in with the rest of the Compilation, resolving plot holes - and yes, without silly or misleading errors in grammar and translation.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Isn't that already a good enough reason to want a remake? To have it fit in with the rest of the Compilation?

I can understand that some people love the quirkiness of VII, but by making a remake, it's not like SquEx will order a recall of all copies of the original game. If you want to drown yourself in nostalgia, all you have to do is play the old game and ignore the new one if it offends you, right? I think a lot of fans, however, would like to see a VII with voice acting, better cutscenes, and that fits in with the rest of the Compilation, resolving plot holes - and yes, without silly or misleading errors in grammar and translation.

Alot of fans would like to see that for Final Fantasy VI too. Whats your point?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
If you want to drown yourself in nostalgia, all you have to do is play the old game and ignore the new one if it offends you, right?
Yeah but how much "Well the new game shows THIS so THIS is canon"
"Well the original showed this so I think that's canon!"

will we have to put up with? It's not just nostalgia I'm worried about. I don't want them changing a perfectly good story to suite their needs.

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
A lot of fans would like to see that for Final Fantasy VI too. What's your point?

Read the post I quoted.

Yeah but how much "Well the new game shows THIS so THIS is canon"
"Well the original showed this so I think that's canon!"

will we have to put up with? It's not just nostalgia I'm worried about. I don't want them changing a perfectly good story to suit their needs.

I don't think you have to worry about them changing the basic story. They'll probably just change a few things - for example, they might put Genesis in Nibelheim and change the location where Cloud throws Sephiroth into the mako (IIRC, they were slightly different in VII the original and Crisis Core). Changing stuff like that wouldn't affect the story much. :)

Last edited:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I did. I just thought the answer was obvious.

Is making it fit in with the rest of the compilation worth creating a remake? The answer is an obvious no. It fits in just fine on its own if you're prepared to forgive a few minor plot holes. If you think that SE is capable of creating a remake and not creating a few even bigger plot holes and contradictions in the process then you're fooling yourself.

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
I am really excited. They must consider it absolutely seriously now.

If they'd posted the question to Westerners I would have been all over their twitter like a rash.

Neutron Ronnie

AKA
Powerslave
I did. I just thought the answer was obvious.

Is making it fit in with the rest of the compilation worth creating a remake? The answer is an obvious no. It fits in just fine on its own if you're prepared to forgive a few minor plot holes. If you think that SE is capable of creating a remake and not creating a few even bigger plot holes and contradictions in the process then you're fooling yourself.

The unasked question in the portion I quoted was why do people want a remake (not whether it's worth creating one).

You say "Is making it fit in with the rest of the compilation worth creating a remake?" Well, if you're looking at it from SquEx's point of view, I think they won't consider anything worth creating or remaking unless it churns out a substantial profit. If they believe that they will get a huge profit out of remaking VII, then they almost definitely will do it eventually. SquEx will not move simply for arts' sake, or for its fans' sake, so I agree with you there.

But if you're talking about it from the fanbase's point of view, I disagree with your "obvious no," because there are plenty of people who believe it would be nice to have the original game redone so as to eliminate plot holes (in addition to all the other obvious advantages of remaking the game to current VG standards). You may not; however, you do not speak for the entire fanbase.

And yes, I do believe that SquEx is theoretically capable of remaking VII so that it answers all questions and does not give rise to new ones. I don't believe the storywriters are too stupid to spend a few days or months ironing out the world, its characters, and its timeline before setting it down in concrete. However, whether they will have the development time (and perhaps even adequate disc space) to do so is another matter.

Top Bottom