• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Would Take 40 Years

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Square-Enix is dead. Long live Bioware.

Thank God one company won't have me wait half my lifespan to play a decent fucking RPG. I really appreciate that.

ME3 has already started production too

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It really fucking sucks that the last great FF game I've played and was truly happy and excited for, was fucking Dissidia for the PSP. A damn fighting game. What the hell.

TheHammerOf...JUSTICE

Pro Adventurer
Square-Enix is dead. Long live Bioware.

Thank God one company won't have me wait half my lifespan to play a decent fucking RPG. I really appreciate that.
I logged in after months of inactivity just to thank you.

Oh and for the subject of this thread.... How about Squenix has Bioware remake FF7 since they obviously are to obsessed with graphics to make anything remotely good. Actually make that FF7 as done by Bioware.

I can envision it now.... The game starts in an interactive Nibleheim 5 years before the start of the game where the player can make all sorts of decisions that can have a Mass(ive) Effect on the plotline. Then after you've made your decisions it fast forwards to Midgar five years later. Just imagine all the crazy decisions and outcomes their could be!

Yes I know this will never happen.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
40yrs? If they'd assemble a team to work on various sections, realizing that the cost to employ more staff for this project would be easily made back and then-some by the sales of a remake... they could possibly manage to get it done far sooner than 30-40yrs....

At the rate the folks at qhimm.com are going, over at the "Team Avalanche" section, they might have the PC version very nicely updated way before SE thinks it'll get a PS3 (or PS4?) remake done(really, take a look at the "New Project: Bombing Mission!" topic, it's quite impressive).

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
It really fucking sucks that the last great FF game I've played and was truly happy and excited for, was fucking Dissidia for the PSP. A damn fighting game. What the hell.

Sounds sexy.

At the rate the folks at qhimm.com are going, over at the "Team Avalanche" section, they might have the PC very nicely updated way before SE thinks it'll get a PS3 (or PS4?) remake done(really, take a look at the "New Project: Bombing Mission!" topic, it's quite impressive).
Yeah I think I'll keep an eye on this

EDIT:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9688.msg139103#msg139103
that's amazing.

Last edited:

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
There are a lot of great things happening at Qhimm forum :)

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
There are a lot of great things happening at Qhimm forum :)

Always happy to spread that link around. Been on there since... hm '04. I hope some more talented folks can join in and help the progress of the project increase if only a small amount.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
HEEEEEEEEEEY I REMEMBER THAT.

I ASKED YOU FAGS ABOUT IT AND YOU SAY YOU DIDN'T KNOW, /RAGE

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
In that case don't make it in that level of quality.

- We don't need 10000 cutscenes all in super high HD

If you cut out those and stick to sane, and more realistic storytelling, it won't take anywhere near as long as XIII.

What exactly are they saying here? That to get the same quality game as 1997, is impossible?

That in 13 years we have gone backwards?

What tosh. What this boils down to is the problem that is invading games at the moment. The belief that it all MUST be 720p with 10000 cutscenes.

Hey. maybe if you weren't polishing single rocks for 3 days, you might stand a chance?

Anyway, I am personally glad that they won't be remaking it, as they will do exactly as many of us fear: Ruin it with bloated cutscenes and gimmickry. It is kind of funny for me actually, my number 1 problem with them remaking is that they would go over the top with HD graphics and leave out the substance, and it is the graphics themselves that are stopping them remaking it.

What an irony!

Epic post.

And, yes, the irony is the best thing about all this.

I'm really starting to think that the only way a FFVII remake could be done -- and done well -- is if developers like Naughty Dog or Bioware made it. I still don't want one, really, but I'd be interested in seeing what those guys could do with it.

These developers understand that you're going for an experience and that while the graphics should be good, they're just there to present that experience.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
This is yet another thread that makes me wish I could thank certain posts twice. You know who you are.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I want Qhimms to make a remake of FFVII that surpasses the Chrono Trigger remake in terms of awesomeness just to piss the fuck off of Square Enix and make them eat their words of it taking 40 years.

I'd laugh so fucking hard if fans were able to make a remake in less time than them, and it still be awesome and playable. They'd probably go insane from all the publicity it'd cause.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Well, it won't be as good as what Enix can make but we are working on things over there in our own ways...

I am most happy with the NPC, Model mods and Team Avalanche. Gemini has also released his mods for translating the PSX version of the game, whereas I will be sticking to PC.

I have also been sorting the menu out (like materia menu) because the words are out of alignment and so forth.

Any case the PC version is already much better than the PSX and improving daily... Soon I and another will be updating the PC FMV's with the PSX ones and making them look a little better....not great but at least they won't look as downright terrible as they do now. They actually encoded the already encoded PSX FMV's for use with the PC and with a crap codec.

The result is 320*224 resolution movies full of suck.

FF8 PC fares much better, they encoded the movies from the master files, at 640*480, twice the PSX resolution, and they used bing codec.

Alignment of Menu:

--- well you can;t really tell the difference here since the Japanese alignment was great....but the difference in graphics is illustrated...

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/SeiferAlmasy2008/align.jpg

actually, rather than being lazy, here is the menu corrected (I had to hex edit the exe).

Original:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/SeiferAlmasy2008/align2.png

Corrected:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/SeiferAlmasy2008/align1.png

I may rearrange a few other ones in time... in fact I am gonna go change Arm. to Armour and Wpn. to Weapon, as well as moving "ability list" more to the right.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Love it or hate it, Final Fantasy VII is the most important and culturally significant JRPG ever produced. If Square Enix gets their shit together and they nail it in a remake, the company will pretty much be reborn. It's that serious.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I have no idea what retirees do with themselves nowadays, I know I'll be catching up on the hundreds of RPGs I will have not had time for.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
No one says it wold be easy. But 40 years? And the return would be larger than anything else they're going to come up with.

Besides, he makes a big a deal about the engine, USE XIII's! You've got the White Engine just sitting there. The things people didn't like about XIII had nothing to do with the graphics engine.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Guy on the The Escapist is a derp

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Yeah he's pretty retarded. Remaking FF VII shouldn't be any more difficult in practice than making a new game (because uh, they still do those, right?). Difference is, they already have the source material for it. They already have the framework for the characters, music, visual style, the plot, and the gameplay (and they have, since 1997!). There is some work that will take time, as in, putting it all together, reworking the gameplay, recomposing the music, the coding, etc, but the barebones is already there in concept.

Fuck, like it's already been stated, they can use the White Engine for the graphics! Nobody's gonna give a shit.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Upon introduction of a new generation of game consoles and technology, most developers create a new engine and elaborate upon it with each new iteration of their IPs, until the next generation comes along and a new one must be developed to take advantage of the new technology.

Look what Epic has done this generation, they've steadily improved upon their engine with each new Gears of War title. They didn't REPLACE the UE3, they've improved upon it, sometimes to great effect. There was no need for a new engine for Gears 2 to be more impressive graphically than what came before, and perform better as well. They've managed to license the engine out to other developers to great effect as well. Look at all of the awesome games produced from it, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Batman AA, Borderlands, Mirrors Edge, Lost Odyssey, and Shadow complex. Games spanning a wide amount of genres with wildly differing art styles and design.

For the next FF title, this is all SE has to do. It costs far too much to create a game engine to restrict it to just one title. It's outright asinine.

The only logical conclusion one can draw from all of this, is that this is a thinly veiled attempt at keep an ace in the hole at the expense of their consumers.

Last edited:

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Yeah he's pretty retarded. Remaking FF VII shouldn't be any more difficult in practice than making a new game (because uh, they still do those, right?). Difference is, they already have the source material for it. They already have the framework for the characters, music, visual style, the plot, and the gameplay (and they have, since 1997!). There is some work that will take time, as in, putting it all together, reworking the gameplay, recomposing the music, the coding, etc, but the barebones is already there in concept.

Fuck, like it's already been stated, they can use the White Engine for the graphics! Nobody's gonna give a shit.

You' re assuming that they intend to stick to what worked and not go insane changing it all to fit in with "the modern gamer"

In other words I think they would change a lot of stuff that doesn't need changing, including parts of the story. If they made a proper remake and didn't go overboard with HD etc, then yeah, I think it would take them 5 years. But they won't. They are more concerned with HD and gimmickry. Apparently that sells...and for Senix these days money is the sole driving force.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Honestly, I'm starting to think I want a FFVII remake now. Not because I feel it's necessary, but because I have a morbid curiosity about how badly SE would bungle it at this point.

Or, in the event they do the smart thing and let Naughty Dog or Bioware do it, I want to see how awesome it could be in another development team's hands.

Top Bottom