• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Would Take 40 Years

TheHammerOf...JUSTICE

Pro Adventurer
You' re assuming that they intend to stick to what worked and not go insane changing it all to fit in with "the modern gamer"

In other words I think they would change a lot of stuff that doesn't need changing, including parts of the story. If they made a proper remake and didn't go overboard with HD etc, then yeah, I think it would take them 5 years. But they won't. They are more concerned with HD and gimmickry. Apparently that sells...and for Senix these days money is the sole driving force.
I wouldn't mind if Bioware remade FF7 and decided to change tons of stuff.... because it would be a better game afterward. The game has quite a few flaws and I honestly have been sick of turn based combat for more than a few years. I wouldn't mind if Bioware went through the whole game changing things as they saw fit. I already have the original ff7. I don't need to replay it in it's exact entirety.

But I fear Squenix remaking FF7 and changing ANYTHING.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I wouldn't mind if Bioware remade FF7 and decided to change tons of stuff.... because it would be a better game afterward. The game has quite a few flaws and I honestly have been sick of turn based combat for more than a few years. I wouldn't mind if Bioware went through the whole game changing things as they saw fit. I already have the original ff7. I don't need to replay it in it's exact entirety.

But I fear Squenix remaking FF7 and changing ANYTHING.
Ugh no. I love Bioware but they are totally unmatched for JRPGs, especially Final Fantasy VII. In fact, didn't they just slam JRPG's saying that they aren't really RPG's?

VII is as good as it is right now. I honestly think it's a smart move from them to package it as a PSP game and sell it for $10. They make effortless munnies and we get it on a mobile platform.

Even if they do make FFVII spectacularly, I'm not sure what it will accomplish. For one, I can't see FFVII being anything but the fighting style it is, which when compared to now, is a relatively dull ATB style that most people are bored with. Secondly, as revolutionary as it was back then, it's not terribly new anymore. How can they be assured that pouring a great amount of work and money into something with a continually diminishing base will pay off?

Not that it won't do well, but I don't think it'll revolutionize Squenix. I mean, Resident Evil got the remake treatment, it did well, but it's not as huge as RE4. Innovation pays off more than polishing a classic.

Also, the only thing I'm getting from this article is, "We don't want to make a game as expansive as VII (and those like it) anymore." :/

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I don't think they should let Bioware do it.

Not because it wouldn't be awesome; it would. But S-E's reputation is less than stellar with a lot of us. As far as I'm concerned, S-E needs to pull themselves out of this hole, with their own talent, their own resources, their own manpower. Just 'letting Bioware do it' every time something too big to fuck up comes along will sooner than later seem like a big copout, at least with me, anyway.

In order to gain back my respect, S-E needs to get their shit together themselves on their own terms, not rely on a company that's proven themselves already.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Relying on Bioware for all our RPG needs is also a bit risky as, as SE and hundreds of other companies have proven, any developer can fall from grace. I'd rather see one pick itself back up.

And I don't necessarily think a Bioware JRPG would be all that great. Sonic Chronicles was JRPG-ish and that was pretty terrible.

TheHammerOf...JUSTICE

Pro Adventurer
Ugh no. I love Bioware but they are totally unmatched for JRPGs, especially Final Fantasy VII. In fact, didn't they just slam JRPG's saying that they aren't really RPG's?
I agree with Bioware completely on the subject of "JRPGS". You can put as many J's in front of it as you like but that still doesn't make it an RPG. RPG is defined by player choice. It does not mean running along on an open field then BAM random monsters and leveling up. Collecting loot or grinding does not an rpg make.

Taking that a step further and applying that to Final Fantasy and you should realize the only game that even approaches player choice in this whole series is.... FF7. And even then I would say dating sim over the term RPG considering most choices in this game are about who you end up dating.

Even if they do make FFVII spectacularly, I'm not sure what it will accomplish. For one, I can't see FFVII being anything but the fighting style it is, which when compared to now, is a relatively dull ATB style that most people are bored with.
FF7 as an action game in the vein of Ninja Gaiden/God of War. And yes they could make that work. Very simple actually if your willing to take out certain things and balance others. Summons have to go first. Either that or don't take a full minute to do damage. Magic just has to be balanced. Status effects can still be in the game. Just don't ask for shit like frog/mini and expect more reasonable status spells that won't break the game. Commands would have to be balanced. Some could stay others might not.

Now your prob going but how do I have 3 different characters fighting on the field of battle at the same time? Won't the AI suck? Simple. You don't. Only 1 character should be fighting at any time. The one the player controls.

BUT HOW DO I HAVE A PARTY THEN?! Simple. Each party member has their own health gauge and can jump in an out of battle by switching with the main character whom you control with a tap of a button. When their not in battle they just simply disappear to some alternate dimension inside cloud's pants.

Also it doesn't have to be just what I listed above but that's my own idea I came up with in a few moments.

Secondly, as revolutionary as it was back then, it's not terribly new anymore. How can they be assured that pouring a great amount of work and money into something with a continually diminishing base will pay off?
FF13 sold a million + despite all the flaws. Their are millions of morons who every day spam gaming news sites and youtube demanding ff7 to be remade. Do I need to go on? Also while JRPGS haven't advanced much or at all really since FF7 western rpgs have been quite the opposite. Bioware could and would make this game incredible by today's standards. Sadly Bioware will never remake ff7 so this is all pointless conjecture.

Not that it won't do well, but I don't think it'll revolutionize Squenix. Personally I wouldn't mind if they fell. They've been dead to me for years anyway. I mean, Resident Evil got the remake treatment, it did well, but it's not as huge as RE4. Innovation pays off more than polishing a classic.
I don't care about revolutionizing squenix. Me and most of the other guys in this topic want a FF7 that doesn't suck.

Also the resident evil remake was just a graphical update. All they did was polish off a classic. Which sucked by the way. RE4 is where Resident Evil as a series actually got GOOD.

What I am suggesting is for Bioware to rip FF7 apart and build it up in their own vision. Bioware has excellent writers and can easily keep the main storyline in the game while still offering plenty of choice for those looking for something different. Bioware remaking FF7 would be like the ultimate west meets east and on some levels is highly innovative if Bioware was given true freedom but had to keep the main storyline for those wanting to re-experience the original game.

Also, the only thing I'm getting from this article is, "We don't want to make a game as expansive as VII (and those like it) anymore." :/
I can't argue with that.

Relying on Bioware for all our RPG needs is also a bit risky as, as SE and hundreds of other companies have proven, any developer can fall from grace. I'd rather see one pick itself back up.

And I don't necessarily think a Bioware JRPG would be all that great. Sonic Chronicles was JRPG-ish and that was pretty terrible.

Sonic Chronicles wasn't good your right about that. Bioware's level of involvement though wasn't that high though. I believe they actually went and contracted a smaller dev team and not Bioware's own inhouse devs to make it.

Any dev team can fall but many can also stay prominent.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I agree with Bioware completely on the subject of "JRPGS". You can put as many J's in front of it as you like but that still doesn't make it an RPG. RPG is defined by player choice. It does not mean running along on an open field then BAM random monsters and leveling up. Collecting loot or grinding does not an rpg make.

No offense to you personally, but I always thought this ongoing argument was the nerdiest and most retarded shit ever. Who gives a fuck what the technical meaning of an RPG is? Pointless semantic bullshit. As long as I'm having fun with it, I don't give two shits what the genre is technically called.

FF7 as an action game in the vein of Ninja Gaiden/God of War. And yes they could make that work. Very simple actually if your willing to take out certain things and balance others. Summons have to go first. Either that or don't take a full minute to do damage. Magic just has to be balanced. Status effects can still be in the game. Just don't ask for shit like frog/mini and expect more reasonable status spells that won't break the game. Commands would have to be balanced. Some could stay others might not.

To me, that's not Final Fantasy. I don't want that. A system in the vein of FFXIII (but without the Paradigm/Roles, and more along the line of FFVII's mechanics) would work fine. I don't want an action game. I want a JRPG. The term 'JRPG' isn't a dirty word to me. I grew up on playing them. That's what I want.

What I am suggesting is for Bioware to rip FF7 apart and build it up in their own vision. Bioware has excellent writers and can easily keep the main storyline in the game while still offering plenty of choice for those looking for something different. Bioware remaking FF7 would be like the ultimate west meets east and on some levels is highly innovative if Bioware was given true freedom but had to keep the main storyline for those wanting to re-experience the original game.

I don't want Bioware to remake FFVII, for the reasons listed above. As much as I love Bioware, I don't want Bioware to monopolize RPGs and be the answer for every single little thing. I want to see different company's talents on their own merits. I play WRPGs, and I also play JRPGs. I like them for their differences, and I don't want to see one swallow the other.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
No offense to you personally, but I always thought this ongoing argument was the nerdiest and most retarded shit ever.
You do know that the LTD is onto its fourth discussion thread now, right?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
You do know that the LTD is onto its fourth discussion thread now, right?

It's pretty sad, yes. I am aware that this breed of fans isn't exactly the smartest in the bunch, but someone has to make it up for the rest.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Bioware said FFXIII wasn't an RPG, not JRPGs in general I believe.

I think Bioware would be more than capable of producing an awesome remake, except for when it comes to the models. Japan just seems to have more artistry when it comes to modeling characters.

That said, NONE of the writing in FF7 needs to be changed or made more open. The only thing that really needs to change is the gameplay. People that think the game should be remade with everything the same except for pretty graphics are tards. What is the fucking point in that? The game has to appeal to fans and newcomers alike. FF7 does not meet gameplay standards of this generation, which is sad, because it totally beats XIII down in every way but the battle system. If FF7 is remade with a fuck awesome battle system, great graphics, and acting, then it'd totally beat FFXIII by such a wide margin that it'd almost be criminal.

I don't want Bioware to remake FF7(even though I know they could) I want SE to man the fuck up and stop being a bunch of whiny pussies and reclaim their former glory.

I don't want an action game. I want a JRPG. The term 'JRPG' isn't a dirty word to me. I grew up on playing them. That's what I want.

They don't have to be that far removed bro. There IS a happy medium. Hell FFXIII's system likens itself a bit to a fighting game.

Last edited:

TheHammerOf...JUSTICE

Pro Adventurer
No offense to you personally, but I always thought this ongoing argument was the nerdiest and most retarded shit ever. Who gives a fuck what the technical meaning of an RPG is? Pointless semantic bullshit. As long as I'm having fun with it, I don't give two shits what the genre is technically called.

Most people take it to far and then go all J-RPGS suck. It is nerdy but I feel it has a very key impact on game design.

To me, that's not Final Fantasy. I don't want that. A system in the vein of FFXIII (but without the Paradigm/Roles, and more along the line of FFVII's mechanics) would work fine. I don't want an action game. I want a JRPG. The term 'JRPG' isn't a dirty word to me. I grew up on playing them. That's what I want.
I can't stress this enough. I hate that JRPG and Final Fantasy means 3 guys standing opposite each other and taking turns using math on one another. Why are you all so opposed to core gameplay changes? Maybe back when I first played FF7 math was hard... but now.... no way. It's not even mildly interesting to me anymore. Just an annoyance getting in my way.

I'd prefer it if they test my reflexes instead. Make me make snap decisions on the fly during battle. I prefer J-RPGS like the Mana series which is pretty much dead. Tales as well. I just like fast paced combat not relying totally on number systems. Why can't I have my JRPG with my action game?

It's not about JRPG being a dirty word. It's about the combats systems being boring as hell. I loved FF when I was a kid BUT I always dreamed of the day games like Mass Effect/Deus Ex and other action types of rpgs might come into existence. Why the hell does final fantasy have to be stuck to such an archaic crappy combat system? Why can't it embrace better gameplay/level design of other games from other genres?

I don't want Bioware to remake FFVII, for the reasons listed above. As much as I love Bioware, I don't want Bioware to monopolize RPGs and be the answer for every single little thing. I want to see different company's talents on their own merits. I play WRPGs, and I also play JRPGs. I like them for their differences, and I don't want to see one swallow the other.
I don't think Squenix has the innovation or game designers capable of making something that good. They used to in the 90's but now.... I just don't see it after all the recent games.

That'd be awesome if they could do it themselves and return back to J-RPG dominance. But that's not gonna happen in my eyes till their on their own deathbed and they NEED to be innovative to get off it just like in the NES days when Hironobu first made Final Fantasy.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I can't stress this enough. I hate that JRPG and Final Fantasy means 3 guys standing opposite each other and taking turns using math on one another. Why are you all so opposed to core gameplay changes? Maybe back when I first played FF7 math was hard... but now.... no way. It's not even mildly interesting to me anymore. Just an annoyance getting in my way.

I'd prefer it if they test my reflexes instead. Make me make snap decisions on the fly during battle. I prefer J-RPGS like the Mana series which is pretty much dead. Tales as well. I just like fast paced combat not relying totally on number systems. Why can't I have my JRPG with my action game?

It's not about JRPG being a dirty word. It's about the combats systems being boring as hell. I loved FF when I was a kid BUT I always dreamed of the day games like Mass Effect/Deus Ex and other action types of rpgs might come into existence. Why the hell does final fantasy have to be stuck to such an archaic crappy combat system? Why can't it embrace better gameplay/level design of other games from other genres?

Congratulations, welcome to the world of subjective opinions. I agree that combat should evolve and progress and all that, but the industry is big enough to satisfy the wants of everyone. I myself don't mind old school JRPG combat; if I did, I wouldn't have played them all these years (and still do!). I understand that FFVII shouldn't have the same combat system it did before (and I never said it did), but I don't think it should be all like 'GET WITH THE TIMES MAN GET DOWN WITH THE KIDS DO IT MY WAY', either. Like I said before, a FFVII-esque FFXIII system would be fine.

I sort of disagree that ALL combat needs to progress extremely in any genre, period just to satiate ADHD addled gamers. Right now I'm playing Street Fighter IV, which is...basically using the same shit it did (with improvements and tweaks of course) that it did 20 years ago. Guess what; still one of the most popular and most played franchises of all time.

I don't think Squenix has the innovation or game designers capable of making something that good. They used to in the 90's but now.... I just don't see it after all the recent games.

That'd be awesome if they could do it themselves and return back to J-RPG dominance. But that's not gonna happen in my eyes till their on their own deathbed and they NEED to be innovative to get off it just like in the NES days when Hironobu first made Final Fantasy.

If S-E no longer has the talent (I think they do, its not like the old designers of the games of old VANISHED WITHOUT A TRACE or what the fuck ever), then they need to die. I don't believe in artificially keeping franchises on life support with the talent of other companies. Pull your own weight or bust.

Splintered

unsavory tart
They don't have to be that far removed bro. There IS a happy medium. Hell FFXIII's system likens itself a bit to a fighting game.
The happy medium is Kingdom Hearts. Maybe Crisis Core. FFXIII was fast paced compared to most RPG's but I don't think it's a bit like a fighting game.

But I can't see playing FFVII without the complete control of the numerous materia/magic in battle, or complete control of multiple characters in play. I don't want a W!RPG FFVII, because it was not nor ever intended to be that way.

+1

I honestly hate this whining about W!RPG vs J!RPG. Mass Effect 2 ranks much higher than FFXIII on my favorites list (and I actually liked FFXIII) but now all I see is "NOW THIS IS HOW AN RPG SHOULD BE, FINALFANTASYISDERP AND JRPGs ARE FAIL" fuck this and other self righteous elitist bullshit. I would honestly cringe to think about a Bioware led Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy is more artistic, melodramatic, intimate with character relationships- Bioware is more fast paced, open in story, epic, and gritty.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The happy medium is Kingdom Hearts. Maybe Crisis Core. FFXIII was fast paced compared to most RPG's but I don't think it's a bit like a fighting game.

But I can't see playing FFVII without the complete control of the numerous materia/magic in battle, or complete control of multiple characters in play. I don't want a W!RPG FFVII, because it was not nor ever intended to be that way.

FFXIII has a whole bunch of tactics for dealing with different types of enemies, and techniques you can use, switching styles and whatnot on the fly in real time. Just like in a fighting game. KH isn't the happy medium, the game is a mess, what with your completely unreliable companions. It only works well with one on one. They need a better system for control, at the very least let you command you compatriots directly.

Whether or not FFVII was intended as one thing or another is irrelevant, that's why it's a REMAKE. I don't want a WRPG of it, I wouldn't mind one that was co developed by a western studio, but there's just a certain charm and artistry that japanese folk put into games that you don't get from western games. That is, when they put some heart into it.
Bioware is more fast paced, open in story, epic, and gritty.
Lolwat. Mass Effect is about the most "fast paced" game Bioware has, and even then not so much. The game moves however fast you want it to. Final Fantasy games are ALWAYS epic though.

TheHammerOf...JUSTICE

Pro Adventurer
I sort of disagree that ALL combat needs to progress extremely in any genre, period just to satiate ADHD addled gamers. Right now I'm playing Street Fighter IV, which is...basically using the same shit it did (with improvements and tweaks of course) that it did 20 years ago. Guess what; still one of the most popular and most played franchises of all time.
It has nothing to do with satiating ADHD gamers. You can only stand around casting fire/cure all alternatively on some boss for so long before you get bored with it. Square in its effort to keep the games open to casuals decided to just repeat the same learning process of Cast Bolt On mechanical enemies and cast Ice on fire enemies for 10 games straight and ultimately people like me got bored pretty damn quickly. Then finally towards the endgame they teach the player instead of casting Bolt/Fire instead he casts uber summon, uses a limit break, or casts ultima every turn when he isn't healing. You can only rinse and repeat this process so many times. And it doesn't help that the majority of JRPGS all do the exact same thing.

This is a problem all the JRPGS have on some levels.

Your allowed to like turn based JRPGS and your right there is a big enough market for both.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Street Fighter 4 is terrible. VF5 ftw.

Just sayin

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
It has nothing to do with satiating ADHD gamers. You can only stand around casting fire/cure all alternatively on some boss for so long before you get bored with it. Square in its effort to keep the games open to casuals decided to just repeat the same learning process of Cast Bolt On mechanical enemies and cast Ice on fire enemies for 10 games straight and ultimately people like me got bored pretty damn quickly. Then finally towards the endgame they teach the player instead of casting Bolt/Fire instead he casts uber summon, uses a limit break, or casts ultima every turn when he isn't healing. You can only rinse and repeat this process so many times. And it doesn't help that the majority of JRPGS all do the exact same thing.

That sounds more of a symptom of boring ass turned based combat, not turn based combat in general. Try games like Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song and a few others for examples of turn based combat with a great new coat of fresh paint.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Lolwat. Mass Effect is about the most "fast paced" game Bioware has, and even then not so much. The game moves however fast you want it to. Final Fantasy games are ALWAYS epic though.
Yeah, you're right. I used poorly choiced words to try and explain the difference, and was focusing too much on Mass Effect 2 as a Bioware point, but I still feel that the overall atmosphere and pace is fundamentally different from Square Enix's games and that trying to manipulate VII with Bioware would be a problem, it wouldn't flow well.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It has nothing to do with satiating ADHD gamers. You can only stand around casting fire/cure all alternatively on some boss for so long before you get bored with it.

I know this isn't necessarily your position, but the people I hear make this argument never seem to have any qualms about shooting oceans of identical - or at most reskinned - enemies. Presumably just because it happens quickly, and therefore is engrossing. RPGs, in my opinion, should always be more about strategy. Putting action elements in is fine, but it should be about strategy. (And a boss that only requires fire and cure is not strategic, so yes that would be boring)

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I know this isn't necessarily your position, but the people I hear make this argument never seem to have any qualms about shooting oceans of identical - or at most reskinned - enemies. Presumably just because it happens quickly, and therefore is engrossing. RPGs, in my opinion, should always be more about strategy. Putting action elements in is fine, but it should be about strategy. (And a boss that only requires fire and cure is not strategic, so yes that would be boring)

Because action games don't have strategy derp.

The shooting stuff is completely unrelated, and really has nothing to do with rpg fans having problems with TBC. They're two wildly different genres. RPGs are methodical, complex affairs with world spanning tales. Shooters are throwaway entertainment. A lot of the people who play shooters primarily really don't have an interest in RPGs, so when they play them those complaints are bound to happen. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say shooting games are "engrossing" because they happen fast. There's a lot more to the games that make that happen. Hell Gears of war isn't really that fast paced. Uncharted either.

But for a lot of RPG fans, it's just gotten stale. Blue Dragon, had a nice TBC system, that was pretty old school, and while it was still sorta slow and grating at times, it was still fun. It's always nice to have that, but a lot of folks, myself included, have grown out of it, and want evolution. XII-XIII are taking a nice step in the right direction I think, but we're not there yet. XIII's biggest failing is the automated party members imo.

I don't think it has to be one or the other. You can have heavy action elements in an rpg, and still have level building, stat management, command of your party, and all the other rpg crap we love. I don't know where people started to think that it had to be one or the other, but the shit's gotten old.

FF7 has the perfect brew for us to have that. But no, BAAAWWWW CHANGE.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Yeah, you're right. I used poorly choiced words to try and explain the difference, and was focusing too much on Mass Effect 2 as a Bioware point, but I still feel that the overall atmosphere and pace is fundamentally different from Square Enix's games and that trying to manipulate VII with Bioware would be a problem, it wouldn't flow well.

Obv an FF7 remake wouldn't be trying to ape what another game did, they'd go for what made FF7 special, and try and elaborate on it.

This is the obvious logic though, who knows if people would actually apply it.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
I must be tired, cause this thought just now occurred to me, and normally it would have come up the moment the possibility of Bioware making a remake was broached.

In addition to the fact that they could no doubt get the game done ever so much faster than Squenix, and that they have an awesome history of making RPGs, there is another potential advantage to a remake being done by someone other than Squenix.

How many of the people at Bioware (or another developer) do you think played FFVII back in '97? Some of them no doubt will even list it as an influence on their own work, if asked. They'd be likely to treat it with respect.

Square Enix, on the other hand... they made it the first time. They own it. They'd quite possibly feel entitled to do whatever they want with it, and fuck what the fans actually want. And then we get the pile of HD and gimmickry that bears only a superficial resemblance to the game we remember.

I think I like this idea better all the time, guys.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
No imho if we have a remake it should be an improvement on the other but not a "throw away" the formula. All that needs doing is a graphic overall, adding many more games to gold saucer, better translation, choice of old and new music (maybe orchestral pieces), choice of normal or difficulty level (difficult actually being really challenging). Small things adding like this for example (I like this idea....it's mine. Ok its basic but it is an addition)>

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9681.0

The core story, the core gameplay should remain s they are. That means no 5 minute fights with sephiroth in cutscenes. It means, sephiroth, 1 slice , Tifa down. 1 slice, zack down, 2 slice, 2 soldiers dead. Actually I have always wanted some more realistic action here like blood or something more dark and realistic. Screams and so forth. maybe I am just sick. But I think it really adds to just how nasty sephiroth was....

There are lots of things that can work without taking away what worked... I like the idea of making better use of the spells. My difficulty mod will address the issues, so that you have to THINK about what you will do rather than hack and slash your enemy, and if you do try that, you won't get anywhere. (for example, weapons not effective against machinery)

I don't think FF7-9 battle systems were inferior, they were just poorly executed to appease crap gamers.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Actually I have always wanted some more realistic action here like blood or something more dark and realistic. Screams and so forth. maybe I am just sick. But I think it really adds to just how nasty sephiroth was.....

Not much to say about your post, imo the battle system could stand some degree of tweaking, though I advocate enhancement more than any real change to the formula. However, on the subject of blood I immediately thought of the difference between AC and ACC, with the addition of Sephiroth ruining Cloud's shit in a rain of Crimson Glory. The blood splatter really altered the dynamic of that scene for me, made it hit home and build tension in me that I just didn't feel in the original version of the fight. While I don't think it would help the game much to have that much blood added to any point in the game, a spray of blood, maybe some clothing damage or other signs of battle as your HP drops (beyond going to one knee/falling down) would be nice.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
Of course, I meant realism as in blood, not blood for sake of it...

When I say realism with FF7 I usually get laughed at and the old "hey you do know this is about an alien lifeform with weird powers right?" responses....

Nethertheless I think most of us can realise that a fantasy has fantasy elements that are mixed in with realistic elements to create an experience. I think Aerith bleeding when she is stabbed only adds to the terror...not subtracts.

Of course from a business pov this makes less sense since it gives the game a 15+ certificate. But so be it, I am into Art and relative realism...

I really do think FF7 is the greatest game of all time and it can be so so much better....

Top Bottom