Final Fantasy VIII General Discussion

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
Kinda sad that Rinoa looked better aesthetically in FFVIII than in that Dissidia junk:

ranYw27.gif
k98pcgn.gif

See? Original packs 1000% more character in 1000% fewer pixels. Let's hope if they remake FFVIII they sort that out.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Ever since Square found out about Rinoa=Ultimecia, they’ve been such teases ;)

As a lover of that theory I’m so delighted, even though I know they’re not serious about it.

Kinda sad that Rinoa looked better aesthetically in FFVIII than in that Dissidia junk:

ranYw27.gif
k98pcgn.gif

See? Original packs 1000% more character in 1000% fewer pixels. Let's hope if they remake FFVIII they sort that out.

Ever since FFX, they’ve gone crazy with camera zooms, it’s one of the things that’s turned me off the series. Also Rinoa has a flatter nose, smaller mouth, and a streak of brown in her hair because it’s 1999.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Ever since Square found out about Rinoa=Ultimecia, they’ve been such teases ;)

As a lover of that theory I’m so delighted, even though I know they’re not serious about it.

Ever since FFX, they’ve gone crazy with camera zooms, it’s one of the things that’s turned me off the series. Also Rinoa has a flatter nose, smaller mouth, and a streak of brown in her hair because it’s 1999.
And tonight, they shall party in apropos fashion?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Isn't Team Ninja the one behind Dissidia NT though, not SE's own development team. Also a victory pose that homages a scene is inevitably going to come off differently in terms of feel than the original scene's context/mood.

Reactions: Ite

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Forgive my ignorance here, but I'm still confused by what's going on with the other, female character chillin' in the field in that video...is it supposed to be an alternate 'take' on Rinoa?? Or is that another Final Fantasy character I just don't recognize, just in R's outfit and with her wings?? Odd.

Edit: She's first present at 0:34 seconds, and right around 0:45 we finally get an all-too-brief glimpse of the face, when its clearly not Rinoa but some sort of silver-haired, 'Modern Nomura Style" young girl...in all Rinoa's gear. I kinda feel in that fucked up scene in "Vanilla Sky" where Cameron Diaz keeps claiming she's Penelope Cruz as Tom Cruise loses his mind and demands to know "where she is"...

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Just gonna put this out there, but Rinoa / Yuna have essentially the same facial structure with slight hair adjustments... This is only made more apparent in the Dissidia NT game.

Blame it on "same face" Nomura. (Even Kairi from Kingdom Hearts suffers from it.)
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OnlySixFaces
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouALLLookFamiliar
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/TetsuyaNomura

Seeing as how it's an Arcade fighting arena game, keep in mind that facial details are glossed over in favor of action/speed. This is true of the Dead or Alive games too to an extent.... it's a Team Ninja thing with the ladies, so it can't be helped.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I can actually think of many differences between Yuna's and Rinoa's faces. Yuna's is rounder, and Rinoa's is comparatively long. They both have wide cheekbones but Rinoa's are more jutting compared to her caved-in muzzle; Yuna has a flatter, smoother face, with a protruding muzzle (more Japanese-looking). Rinoa's mouth is smaller and more pursed, while Yuna has a (relatively) wide mouth. Yuna's eyes are almond-shaped, with one green and one blue, close together and tilted inward to appear bright and happy. Rinoa's eyes are thin and brown, spaced apart and tilted slightly away from the brow to appear sad. Rinoa's face is close-bundled together in the middle of her head, with a large forehead and spacious chin. Yuna's face is spread out, with a lot of space in between her eyes and mouth. For the life of me, I can't tell whether Yuna has a round, Japanese-looking nose or a pointed one, it seems to change from cutscene to cutscene, but the bridge of her nose is high and deep and her dorsum is sloping, and the tip is round. Rinoa's face in FMV vs. actual game is very different, but in both her dorsum is very straight and the tip of her nose is pointed -- and her bridge is so shallow! It's like the dorsum is a straight line down from her forehead! They look very different imo.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Yuna's appearance/ethnic vagueness was one of the first things that stuck out to me re: the PS4 version. She be lookin' different. But in...subtle-yet-obvious ways

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I get what you guys are saying FMV-wise, but illustrations are a lot more similar. And it's those illustrations that served as the primary base for Dissidia's character designs going forward unfortunately. That was true in Dissidia, in 012 Duodecim, and now in NT.

Even with Opera Omnia the majority of characters look too much like SD palette swaps of one another with slight adjustments to their hairstyles.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Even as SD characters in a phone game, it still lampshades how similarly drawn they were in Nomura's full-size illustrations of them in earlier Dissidia games... I personally don't mind the art style, or the same face-isms, but I do understand why people hate how plain looking some characters appear in some incarnations of the games they appear in.

I'm actually hoping Kingdom Hearts III won't suffer from that too much (i.e. Sora and Riku being palette swaps with hair swaps of one another).

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Judging from how awesome that present is I'd say you're in there like swimwear! Enjoy have fun happy Christmas ;)

I hope, unfortunately, I am 99% sure she likes someone else. I finally find someone that I match up with personality wise and I still get the short(ha a pun on myself) stick.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
You only get a Lionheart for someone you have (at best) repressed romantic feelings for, so...y'know. You might have to initiate Time Compression, but that's a small price to pay for a lil' intimacy, eh?

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
You only get a Lionheart for someone you have (at best) repressed romantic feelings for, so...y'know. You might have to initiate Time Compression, but that's a small price to pay for a lil' intimacy, eh?
Says who? What if I want a GRIEVER for myself?

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Says who? What if I want a GRIEVER for myself?
Well, masturbation is very healthy!!
[Also: I was waiting to see how long it would take for somebody to correct me on "Lionheart" v. "Griever", lol. I've always hated the latter, to a degree which is inexplicable, I think it just sounds like something I would've named an enemy when playing Dungeons and Dragons in 8th grade, or something]

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
If you understood the reasoning behind it being called "Griever" then you know that Squall chose the name because of abandonment issues. He lost much of his family over a Sorceress conflict.

It's also a symbol of his idea of the "strongest monster" in the world. It's got nothing to do with your presumptions.

In other words, it's a symbol of being a badass.

Top Bottom