Was the Compilation a mistake?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Having not read anything in this thread nor care to i got one thing to say.

You guys are putting pus... FF7 on a pedestal.

It wasnt that great in the first place.

You know what this entire website is based on, correct? What were you expecting?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
The compilation wasn't a mistake. It's execution was.

You know when Dacon's right, he's right. This is absolutely the case. I realize the "retcons" aren't HUGE or anything, but they're annoying and it's just sloppy. Square is a professional company and they need to be more careful. As for Seph only jumping in LO which isn't canon, uhm... hello, Before Crisis! And did Zack plan his escape with Cloud or not? Did Elmyra find out about Aerith's death in CoT or in the original game. And should I really believe Genesis was always there even in the original game? I mean come on...

And you know making Aerith seem like a nut case writing Zack 89 letters when she said they weren't that serious, i mean WTF

ForceStealer

Double Growth
As for Seph only jumping in LO which isn't canon, uhm... hello, Before Crisis!

Yeah well like 4 people played that anyway.

And did Zack plan his escape with Cloud or not?

huh?

Did Elmyra find out about Aerith's death in CoT or in the original game.

Yeah, you got one there.

And should I really believe Genesis was always there even in the original game? I mean come on...

Now come on, they put that in the perfect place where it wouldn't actually change anything except make Sephiroth's incredibly rapid freak-out a bit more understandable. If you don't like Genesis that doesn't really count.

And you know making Aerith seem like a nut case writing Zack 89 letters when she said they weren't that serious, i mean WTF

89 is a little much, but downplaying a past relationship which broke your heart isn't that weird.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Atem said:

In the original game, Zack and Cloud planned their escape from the Shinra Mansion to occur at feeding time, scratching messages to one another into their glass tubes. In CC, Zack simply took advantage of a good opportunity.

Did Elmyra find out about Aerith's death in CoT or in the original game.

In fairness, that was a mistranslation for the English official release. The original Japanese just said that Cloud talked to Elmyra about Aerith's death, but not that he informed her of it.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
89 is a little much, but downplaying a past relationship which broke your heart isn't that weird.
I just think if she was really that hung up on Zack we would have seen more of it in FFVII. Not her saying "Yeah we weren't that serious..."

Also nanaki finding his mate but then apparently forgetting she exists.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I thought we already established only 4 people played BC :monster:. But wasn't she assumed dead or something? Could be wrong about that one though. (EDIT: Yep, wrong, 'tis a retcon)

And she had the hots for Cloud at the moment, its not like you're gonna gush over your last boyfriend in front of him :P

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
I just think the 89 letters thing was stupid. I mean who the hell does that?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Yeah, Genesis just magically fits in the cracks of all the important shit that happened in FF7. What a fucking joke.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
that's like 20 letters a year... that's still crazy. Sorry it just... is and that really doesn't seem like Aerith to me.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It was probably front loaded, a whole ton of letters at first when she didn't hear from him. And then they dwindled the longer it it went. I dunno if its a matter of "sounding like" her or not... sounds kinda normal. They were right at the most eager, exciting stage when he left.

All the cracks Dacon? Where'd they insert him in established canon apart from that?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
All the cracks Dacon? Where'd they insert him in established canon apart from that?

I'm obviously referring to the moments between pivotal plot points in FF7 where he was interjected. It's fucking retarded that something as important as Sephiroth being pushed further over the edge by one of his old friends is completely absent in FF7, and not even made possible by the tiniest of reference to Sephiroth having had a friend, or all of the Shinra buildings and shit not having a single file on all these other Soldiers. But derp ALL EVIDENCE OF G WAS DESTROYED. My how convenient. I guess all those employees and soldiers that knew em where mind wiped too.

It's stupid. They basically picked through the nibeheim event and found the bits where they could force Gackt oh I mean GENESIS, into. It's stupid.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
At least they picked through it, they could have just straight up retconned it. It was the perfect place to stick him if they were going to. Cloud would have no knowledge of it. And it doesn't REALLY change anything, merely adds a layer. It's not that important.

Red and Bugenhagen conveniently forgetting about his mate is far far worse, imo.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
At least they picked through it, they could have just straight up retconned it. It was the perfect place to stick him if they were going to.

There's nothing perfect about what they did, they literally shoehorned a character into the story, under the laughable premise of all things related to him being destroyed(if they did this shit when he went rogue, why not do this for Seph when he did? derp).

And it doesn't REALLY change anything, merely adds a layer. It's not that important.

This is horseshit. It changes the dynamics of the nibelheim scene, it adds another layer of crap onto Sephiroth's story. So, instead of him just being driven temporarily insane by the information he discovered, and the influence of a nearby Jenova, one of his best friends goes apeshit and taunts him, making it worse, and adding another unnecessary bit of melodrama.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
They would not have been able to erase knowledge of Sephiroth, he was famous. Genesis was not. NOBODY mentions him besides the fangirls in Midgar, who are really just Square poking fun at rl fangirls. And they DID erase all record of what Sephiroth did in Nibelheim, no one has any idea besides Cloud and Tifa. (I'm don't mean erasing EVERY TRACE of Genesis would be easy, much less realistic. But its not the biggest thing Shinra has hidden.)

And Cloud had no way of knowing about Genesis. Now, of course, had they known this back then they would have found a way to include it. But my point was that it does work. Whether its stupid or not is different, but it didn't retcon anything as Cloud would not have known about it and ALL our knowledge of the Nibelheim Incident came through him and Tifa.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
They would not have been able to erase knowledge of Sephiroth, he was famous. Genesis was not. NOBODY mentions him besides the fangirls in Midgar, who are really just Square poking fun at rl fangirls. And they DID erase all record of what Sephiroth did in Nibelheim, no one has any idea besides Cloud and Tifa.

And Cloud had no way of knowing about Genesis. Now, of course, had they known this back then they would have found a way to include it. But my point was that it does work. Whether its stupid or not is different, but it didn't retcon anything as Cloud would not have known about it and ALL our knowledge of the Nibelheim Incident came through him and Tifa.

I didn't say shit about Cloud. People still knew Genesis, and there's no way to make that go away. Shinra is hardly that thorough anyway(their fucking sectors are riddled with terrorists, and their big plan to get rid of them was dropping a goddamn plate on the whole thing).

Yeah, it "works" but only if you suspend your disbelief regarding a lot of shit. It's still a retcon(not technically sure) as far as I'm concerned, because they literally pulled a lot of bullshit out of thin air and excused it by magically saying HURR WE DESTROYED ERETHANG and shoved it into FF7's plot.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Then what was he so damn jealous about? :P Still though, do any NPCs mention him or Angeal besides the Midgar fangirls? Other people mention Sephiroth.

And Sephiroth didn't encounter super-stardom until after his media attention for being a hero of the Wutai War, right? Genesis vanished during the war and would never have gotten such attention. Everyone in Banora would know of him...but Shinra took care of that.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
You know what this entire website is based on, correct? What were you expecting?

What was i expecting?

Well to become a
successfultrollissuccesh.jpg

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
In the original game, Zack and Cloud planned their escape from the Shinra Mansion to occur at feeding time, scratching messages to one another into their glass tubes. In CC, Zack simply took advantage of a good opportunity.

In fairness, that was a mistranslation for the English official release. The original Japanese just said that Cloud talked to Elmyra about Aerith's death, but not that he informed her of it.

Where the hell have YOU been?

Figures a discussion that mentions retcons would bring your ass out of the shadows.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
The Compilation wasn't a mistake, imo, but I would have liked it more if they had done some things in a less criptic/guessing way.

Also, the only thing that made me go "WTF is this shit?" was Vincent's memories about what happened with Hojo and Lucreacia. I'd have liked to see a young Hojo... just out of morbid curiosity :awesome:

Red and Bugenhagen conveniently forgetting about his mate is far far worse, imo.

Shinra had already tried to steal her once. Red and Bugenhagen lied about her and concealed her existence from everyone so as to protect the future of the species.
Job done.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
The Compilation wasn't a mistake, imo, but I would have liked it more if they had done some things in a less criptic/guessing way.

Also, the only thing that made me go "WTF is this shit?" was Vincent's memories about what happened with Hojo and Lucreacia. I'd have liked to see a young Hojo... just out of morbid curiosity :awesome:

It wasnt cryptic it was just bad writing.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
When you play the original FFVII, despite how rough it is on the surface, you can sense that the people had fun making it. It had heart. It was exciting, kooky and didn't take itself too seriously, yet still had an existential story with a cast of vibrant and dramatic characters.

The FFVII Compilation doesn't even come close. From its terrible to average games and lousy action movies, it was all born from a stale executive office cashing in on the mainstream market. That's why we have designer characters, Gackt, six billion guidebooks and hammy melodrama for all the teenagers to relate to. This lack of vision is something that has certainly affected sectors of Square-Enix.

Top Bottom