Was the Compilation a mistake?

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Such as Cloud being imapled, then using the sword he was impaled with as a lever to toss Sephiroth over a dozen feet through the air at an upwards angle. Without any mako or Jenova cells in his system.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
Houses falling on people (it doesn't actually work that way, they usually survive by being surrounded and protected from falling debris) is not the same as being hit directly with a fireball. Show me someone who has been bombed within a few feet and has survived with their limbs in tact and without severe injury. You show me ;)

Also, the fact that the survival rate would be near 0 anyway. But I think we have reaced the end of this debate, clearly no one is going to be changing position, but I certainly can't believe Rufus survived after watching those FMV's, and certainly there is no question that he was intended to be dead at the end of FF7. (adn thus I will call his revival a retcon as it is the only word that fits)

also you don't need to be shot in a vital organ to bleed to death sonny

Never said you did, I said it was very unlikely that Dyne would have survived but the blood loss would have been dependant on the injury sustained and the way it was sustained. If Dyne's revival was unlikely, what does that make Rufus being blown away in his office ?

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Houses falling on people (it doesn't actually work that way, they usually survive by being surrounded and protected from falling debris) is not the same as being hit directly with a fireball. Show me someone who has been bombed within a few feet and has survived with their limbs in tact and without severe injury. You show me

No, they don't. They survive by being lucky. Explosion + Shrapnel and falling debris is a potent mix for death. Rufus wasn't hit directly either. The goddamn blast hit the building first then traveled inward. What is so hard to understand about that? Also fireball=/=bomb derp.

http://northeast-nc.injuryboard.com...injured-his-dog-survives.aspx?googleid=260484 That there debris sure didn't protect this guy from getting burned up did it? He still pulled through.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=26605 this guy ran over a fucking bomb in his car and apparently only hurt his leg.

http://www.justnews.com/news/16780374/detail.html This guy survived his fucking van exploding with him IN IT. A couple gas tanks and welding equipment were inside with him, more than enough to blow a person to bits, or maim/burn them.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=66a_1215122636 here is the damn video.

Rufus is by far no average man, and all kinds of retarded shit happens in FF7, if these people(and dogs) can come out of this shit without losing limbs, why is a guy surviving an explosion in a fantasy game so OMG unbelievable?

Also, the fact that the survival rate would be near 0 anyway. But I think we have reaced the end of this debate, clearly no one is going to be changing position, but I certainly can't believe Rufus survived after watching those FMV's, and certainly there is no question that he was intended to be dead at the end of FF7. (adn thus I will call his revival a retcon as it is the only word that fits)
Way to pick and choose, that sure is some convenient short sightedness bro. No, there was plenty question, certainly my black ass.

Never said you did, I said it was very unlikely that Dyne would have survived but the blood loss would have been dependant on the injury sustained and the way it was sustained. If Dyne's revival was unlikely, what does that make Rufus being blown away in his office ?

Jump down a canyon after having your arm blown off and let us know how that works out for you chief. You can accept all the other retardation in this FANTASY game, but this is one thing you can't wrap your head around? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Houses falling on people (it doesn't actually work that way, they usually survive by being surrounded and protected from falling debris)
what the...?

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
It still changes nothing, he was hit in the face with a bomb and was clearly blown away, his office along with it and yet he still has all his limbs intact and does not appear to be as damaged as you would expect even assuming it was plausible for him to survive.

Somehow though this conversation has got onto plausibility of death or serious injury when the original point was that FF7 made it clear he was dead and that imho they retconned it. I stand by that in the same way I stand by Hojo being a retcon, because both clearly are.

This was the original debate.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
We're not saying whether or not Rufus meant to be dead in the original game. Sure he did, I can roll with that. What we're debating is whether or not his injuries are ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO SURVIVE like you're postulating. He survived, he was fucked up, he recovered between the two years we next saw him. Also it's a fantasy game.

Stop being stubborn.

Also mad props to Dacon for actually looking that stuff up.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
It would be foolish to say that Square's original intention was to imply that Rufus survived.
It would be foolish to say that Rufus's return wasn't hackneyed and retconned.
It would be foolish to say that it is likely to survive that catastrophe.
It would be foolish to say that it is impossible to survive that catastrophe.

So what the hell are we arguing about?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
It would be foolish to say that Square's original intention was to imply that Rufus survived.

:facepalm:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves

Well for starters I don't think anyone said about half that stuff...

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
If anyone said any of this stuff, *then* there can be a clear right and wrong. Everything else is just speculation. This debate is pointless, is what I'm getting at.

Last edited:

eqmddlh

SOLDIER Apprentice
AKA
Ikyoo
My opinion

I love FF7 on a general view because, although it's true that at a very tiny and especific level, are certainly incongruents or extremely childish elements which are not understandable or logic at all to mature people. However, as a total product I adore the original game and its lore and, according to my preferences, I consider canon those games and plot elements added to the original game that I consider should be treated as such. Any new incorporation to that world of fantasy will be welcomed by me and simply I will filter those things I dislike. Of course, I would prefer to see that all the games, movies or other being of infinite quality but, naturally, there are different programming teams and budgets for every title and project so, everything will be different.

If the remake is done, it would be a good change to "canonize" the unknotted plot elements that have been appearing in the last years with te prequels and sequels.

I hope that a decade in the future a new compilation appear with several more games included. It would be awesome! :awesome:

Best regards.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
If anyone said any of this stuff, *then* there can be a clear right and wrong. Everything else is just speculation. This debate is pointless, is what I'm getting at.

Then go to another thread. The rest of us are getting along just fine. The point is, the situation isn't somehow impossible or unlikely given the context of the world. I don't see how anyone could read all those posts and over look that.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Then go to another thread. The rest of us are getting along just fine.

That was uncalled for. You do seem to be getting rather emotional about this tbh, I know I take it seriously also but I have perspective, I think you need to get some too? We are talking about a fictional character here in a computer game, not exactly important decisions and opinions.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
That was uncalled for. You do seem to be getting rather emotional about this tbh, I know I take it seriously also but I have perspective, I think you need to get some too? /QUOTE]

LOL. Get over yourself man.

It's not uncalled for. Whining about how pointless a conversation is, one that clearly has a point, shows a distinct lack of interest in said conversation, so why bother whining about it, as opposed to going and talking about some else in another thread?

The only thing you got is a pocket full of stubbornness.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
1272266672673.jpg

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
My only argument in this thread is that Squaresoft intended to show us that Rufus was dead.
Dacon said that there was an intended ambiguity about it, but there wasn't. The cutscenes, dialogues, and the context where they are presented, shows that.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Dacon said that there was an intended ambiguity about it, but there wasn't.
Bullshit, I said from the original ending that I thought Rufus could have survived. I didn't say anything about whether or not SE intended for that to be the case(because it was irrelevant), and even if it was, that position has already changed. It's implied he's dead, but people could have been wrong, it's not like Heidigger and Scarlet went and dug up his corpse to make sure.

No, they went and got into a damn mecha to fight Cloud and his friends. Oh, and some random NPC out in the middle of nowhere says he's dead. The game doesn't stop long enough to deal with ANY of the fallout from from the Siege on Shinra.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
My only argument in this thread is that Squaresoft intended to show us that Rufus was dead.
Dacon said that there was an intended ambiguity about it, but there wasn't. The cutscenes, dialogues, and the context where they are presented, shows that.

Amen. :joy:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Oh, and that his survival isn't as impossible and unacceptable as people have gotten into their heads.

Top Bottom