Crisis Core Research Thread

From DC Research thread.

Shademp said:
I have a desperate hope that maybe if I spend time playing the American version of DC I can in a way rekindle my passion to play Crisis Core (through the logic of finding a "refreshing" FFVII experience again). Since the end of March I have barely been able to touch CC because I played that game with such intensity.

I have yet to do all the grinding and farming in the Japanese game so to defeat Minerva. Really not looking forward to doing that. Maybe, whenever I pick up CC again, it would be better for me to just unlock the alternate final Zack Fan Club mails in the English game and have that done with.

:pleasebeexcited:

...Or kick me into gear by thanking this post and/or requesting things for me to check out in the game. :awesome: Since the CC stream will be sometime around the end of September, I have roughly two months and two weeks to resume the CC research and set everything up for the stream.

Here are the most immediate tasks on my CC to-do list:
- Finish grinding in the Japanese game and defeat Minerva
- Play the US version (all the way through, naturally) for the first time while also doing a Japanese New Game+ on the side, just to make sure that all the missions and events get properly compared.
- Set up google documents for the research that fit the format
- Unlock the two alternate final mails from Zack's fan club in both the English and Japanese games.
- Decide on a streaming method and a playthrough structure for the stream (UGH, not looking forward to this)​

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Well, better get to it then! Can't really think of anything to check out that you haven't yet, but I'd like to hear your opinions of what materias are most useful/underrated and what you plan on relying on.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Just read this on the FF wiki:

It is hinted, though not directly stated, that she kept her promise to Zack in looking after his parents. During AVALANCHE's search for Sephiroth, if Tifa and Aeris are in Cloud's party during the Gongaga visit, Zack's parents state there was another girl who used to visit a lot, but that she hadn't been by in some time. It can be assumed this "other girl" is Cissnei.

I've checked the text for that area and it's not there. Is this mentioned in any ultimania, or the original japanese game?

I've checked the text for that area and it's not there. Is this mentioned in any ultimania, or the original japanese game?
In none of the Ultimania translations here on TLS is there any mention of Zack's parents claiming that a girl often comes to visit.

If hito still has the Japanese script I sent him he should be able to confirm that there is no mention of a girl visiting Zack's parents. I am convinced that no such line exists.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i don't see anything like that for the script when you first visit gongaga. sounds like someone got confused with zack's parents mentioning his letter where tells them he got a girlfriend or something.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Yeah probably should have done that :P I was gonna put it in the talk section to explain it further...guess I forgot :P

Anyway been replaying this lately. Did they change the length of time between the Nibelheim incident and FF7? They mention 4 years in CC as opposed to 5 in FF7.

Did they change the length of time between the Nibelheim incident and FF7? They mention 4 years in CC as opposed to 5 in FF7.
The Nibelheim incident is still five years before the original game. It's just that Zack and Cloud escape from Shinra Manor about a year before the original game starts, ergo the mention of a four-year gap in Crisis Core.

From the Complete FFVII Timeline said:
[ ν ] – εуλ 0006
12/19

· Zack escapes from his confinement in the Shinra Manor’s basement, and takes with him the mako poisoned Cloud.

[ ν ] – εуλ 0007

12/9

· FFVII Begins
Source

I am finally farming for SP, gil and levelling up materia in the Japanese version of Crisis Core so that I can beat Minerva in that version. A few more hours of this and I should be ready. Believe it or not, now that I'm actually sitting down and doing the work I feel a passion for continuing my CC research and save file accumulations! :D

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Just wanted to thank you for this awesome thread. Tons of great stuff in here. I've just begun my own "perfect game" on the Japanese anniversary version, which I've had lying around unplayed since I got the PSP. Thanks especially for the multiple Goddess Keys tip.

I have now confirmed in both the Japanese and the European English version that SP caps at 99,999,999. This despite the counter menu having room for one more digit.

Japanese​
UfUCg0L.png

European English
mbUwavp.png

@Ultimasamune
Thank you so much for that comment! :D It warms my heart.

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Not sure if you saw my thread on GameFAQs (the board is kind of dead tbh), but I recently remarked on the fact you can't get endless Poison Twisters, the base level (actually level 2) Status Quick Sword materia. Kind of an odd development choice making this class of materia potentially missable (if you convert or fuse). I wonder if it was an oversight. Or, even better, I wonder if the Ultimania missed an enemy you can steal it from. That would be great, though extremely unlikely. Reminds me of Hard Scales in Type-0. Or I guess I should say Hard Scales remind me of these.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
At least Crisis Core had an english realase date on PSP, unlike Type-0 which had to be remastered for PS4.

I know this is out of the blue, but, a couple of the game's soundtracks remind of of a Pokemon game soundtracks, both of the main franchise and of the Mystery Dungeon games.

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Shademp, did you notice a difference in the max number of squats in the mini game across versions? Steve's guide says 68, Kirbyarm's says 67, and player comments are split pretty much down the middle. I've done the mini-game around 15 times now and always gotten 67. Is everyone just lying? -_-

Shademp, did you notice a difference in the max number of squats in the mini game across versions? Steve's guide says 68, Kirbyarm's says 67, and player comments are split pretty much down the middle. I've done the mini-game around 15 times now and always gotten 67. Is everyone just lying? -_-
I'm not sure what's going on, honestly. I have only gotten 67 at the most, but some people might be counting the final squat that can be seen when the minigame fades out but that doesn't enter into the squat counter.

In the words of Rufus Shinra (ACC), "it is merely my speculation".

:hairflip:

Also I should mention that I haven't picked up CC, or any game, for some time now. Life has been a train wreck.

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Well, looks like you can only do 67 squats in chapter 5 but 68 in chapter 7. Maybe Zack's quads got stronger? Weird.

Anyway, sorry to hear you're having trouble. Hope everything comes together for you!

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Another update–maximum number of Coffin Keys is 5! Have three in your inventory, then kill a group of two Sahagins at the same time. Similar to the Goddess Keys. Note that groups of two Sahagins can only be encountered in Chapter 9, after you break out of the tubes.

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Did you point out the thing with the Gongaga reactor chests? I think if you do them in a certain order you get additional spoils. Should do them (going clockwise) 2 1 3 4. Neither Steve nor Kirbyarm mention this, so I'm wondering if it's a version difference (the extra rewards are 2,000 gil on chest 1 and a Spirit Stone on chest 4.

Top Bottom