Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Looks like the same one to me.
Ei8c.png

SeaDragon

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sjödraken
^Same. It was a pleasant surprise seeing my favorite colossi.

mRCtTR1.gif

IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I'LL BUY IT AGAIN.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Because hey, easier to just remake / polish an old game (AGAIN) than to make a new one that's actually decent innit :monster:

(todo: play that new game)

The remade graphics look nice enough, I guess, but it kind of looks like it lost some of the atmosphere of the original (like the haziness and tint the game had to it); I wouldn't say it's bad or anything, but it looks less distinctive, I think. Maybe I'm just behind the times, but it's not like SotC is a bad looking game as it is, I mean, yeah, if you put it next to current gen games it's gonna look lacking, but still.

I'd be more interested in the remake if it was going to add in colossi that were cut/didn't make it into the original (and expand the world to go with them), but I wasn't ever expecting that to happen. Would've been awesome if it did, though.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The haziness was actually a performance optimization, allowing them to not have to render to infinity - off course, it also set part of the atmosphere.

I would've preferred a sequel myself, similar gameplay but new characters, environment, etc.

The haziness was actually a performance optimization, allowing them to not have to render to infinity - off course, it also set part of the atmosphere.

I would've preferred a sequel myself, similar gameplay but new characters, environment, etc.

Ah, interesting. They really made it work in terms of the game's overall look.

A sequel would've been good, too. I wonder what Ueda's up to, and what his new studio's next project is going to be; iirc, neither he nor the original team are involved in the remake, which is nice in that they can focus on putting out something new.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Man, I was really hoping for a First Person view mode with PS VR. That'd have been epic!....Vomit inducing, but epic!

Some more videos:

I'm torn about this - it looks good (the foliage in particular from some of the other videos looks really good), but at the same time it just feels like it's definitely missing... something. It's like a more typical kind of looking good. Getting more of a look at the world in general, not just the colossi areas/fights, makes this more apparent, I think. Not to be that person, but it really does look like the atmosphere took a pretty noticeable hit. Admittedly, there is a nostalgia factor and it does get a bit hard to tease out the "intended" look from the influence of the limitations of the PS2, but, even beyond the bloom and mist, the color palette looks to be sometimes significantly different in the remake. Like, almost cool to warm different in some areas, because of that green tint that's especially noticeable in the field/sunlight leading up to the first colossus' area. There was some purple-ness to the sky that's not really in the remake, so the third colossus fight looks a bit too gray. What you can see of the desert area (near the shrine, not where you fight the thirteenth colossus) looks less distinctive because of the green, too. It's kind of like when you look at a photograph of a painting online or in a book and then when you see it in person the colors are different. Again, I'm sure some of the charm of the original came from having to mentally fill in the details that were lacking, but I just recently played through The Last Guardian and I never felt that lacked the sort of ethereal atmosphere that the PS2 Team Ico games had.

It's hard to judge the new HUD from what little of it is shown, but that's an aspect of the original where change is welcome, IMO (that pink can go).

HwrhBWs.png
The new character model's face looks bad, good lord. Edit: Maybe it's the just the specific shot or angle/lighting, I dunno. Hard to judge, but I just hope it looks better in cutscenes.

I'll still definitely get this, though. Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game ever, and, not to be hyperbolic, but it's so good that it really should be available, in some form, on every console generation (until the end of time :monster: ). If only they could invent a way to selectively erase your memory so you can experience it again for the first time, because, when it comes down to it, that's really what I want and no amount of shiny new graphics can really do the equivalent of that.

Last edited:
I'm dumb and apparently didn't watch the video I posted all the way through - it does show a bit of Wander's face in the short cutscene following the defeat of one of the colossi, and it does look better:

(I'm lazy and didn't resize the screencaps)
yjn8aQ8.jpg

LU4Rdpc.jpg

(But his headband is supposed to be blue to match his eyes, c'mon now.)

...But it still looks pretty weird in what else is shown of normal exploration:
N8HT9OG.jpg

zo1XEII.png

I think it's the eyes or something? The PS2 model's face still holds up quite well in that regard, I think.

Also, there's this video, too:

I'm a regular PS4 commoner, though, so I guess I'll miss out. :monster: I've never played the remaster, but I heard there was some sort of grip issue. I imagine they'll have addressed that for this version?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
the face looks okay in those cutscene screencaps, but i'm still iffy on the regular gameplay model's default face

i guess you're not going to be staring at it all the time, but still

i miss the original model, ngl

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So pleased to see him playing this (since I loved his other playthrough of the game, since it's his favourite one ever).

X :neo:

Top Bottom