Star Wa- I mean FFXII Love discussion Thread

Uh... yes? :monster:
I think Ashe/Basch is a god awful couple but it's unfortunately canon (or at least heavily implied to be? I haven't played Revenant Wings :monster: )

Off topic for a moment but I got 100% in RW and all the "Balthier/Fran and Ashe/Basch is implied" stuff just isn't there and I really have no idea what's in that game that anybody even thought this made sense.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I think the "Balthier/Fran is implied" stuff came from a scene in the game in which someone named Tomaj attempts to romance Fran and she tells him Balthier's methods were different. And then apparently there is a sidequest in Rabanastre in which you can pair a Viera up with a Human. The Human tells the party that he wouldn't have imagined a Viera and Human pairing could work until he saw Balthier and Fran. That's what I found anyways, I haven't played that game.

I think the "Balthier/Fran is implied" stuff came from a scene in the game in which someone named Tomaj attempts to romance Fran and she tells him Balthier's methods were different. And then apparently there is a sidequest in Rabanastre in which you can pair a Viera up with a Human. The Human tells the party that he wouldn't have imagined a Viera and Human pairing could work until he saw Balthier and Fran. That's what I found anyways, I haven't played that game.

It's been SO long since I've played the game. I just recall not really seeing it while I was playing it and it's kind of like 'recalling being confused at the time' by this stuff.

To not continue off topic for much longer, it seems there are a few things as you've said. I'm not sure I'd say it means they are together in an actual relationship though, or if it is, it's a secret one or one that maybe happened in the past and didn't last. Her line about Balthier having different methods seems to imply he tried to court her at one point in the past. But then, if they were together now, why would Vaan let his friend send love letters and flowers to Fran if she's with Balthier. Doesn't exactly add up.

However, it adds an interesting part to their relationship I never thought of before. [/derailing thread]

EDIT: I know we aren't suppose to go off topic like this so if anyone did want to reply maybe a mod could split it, and if not, then don't worry about it.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Off topic for a moment but I got 100% in RW and all the "Balthier/Fran and Ashe/Basch is implied" stuff just isn't there and I really have no idea what's in that game that anybody even thought this made sense.
I actually hear a lot of argument for the Ashe/Balthier fans that they are implied. Something about the manga maybe, though I don't actually buy into it. Whatever it is, it's clear that Ashe loved Rassler, but the whole dwelling (ie depression, etc) and following his projection turned out to do more harm than good.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
It's been SO long since I've played the game. I just recall not really seeing it while I was playing it and it's kind of like 'recalling being confused at the time' by this stuff.

To not continue off topic for much longer, it seems there are a few things as you've said. I'm not sure I'd say it means they are together in an actual relationship though, or if it is, it's a secret one or one that maybe happened in the past and didn't last. Her line about Balthier having different methods seems to imply he tried to court her at one point in the past. But then, if they were together now, why would Vaan let his friend send love letters and flowers to Fran if she's with Balthier. Doesn't exactly add up.

However, it adds an interesting part to their relationship I never thought of before. [/derailing thread]

EDIT: I know we aren't suppose to go off topic like this so if anyone did want to reply maybe a mod could split it, and if not, then don't worry about it.

Actually, yes, can a mod split this off? This topic interests me and I'd like to throw in a couple of my cents :monster:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I would also liked this to be split off!

addition: well, either way I'm glad because Basch/Ashe is just a fucking awful couple and I just... really don't like Basch at all. Ashe is my homegirl.

Balthier/Fran is subpar. They are total bro-tier man. I don't find it romantic at all whatsoever :monster:

BALTHIER/ASHE ALL THE WAY they are like a very laid back Zidane/Dagger plus if you're gonna take the Star Wars references all the way they are Han/Leia while Balthier/Fran is Han/Chewwie ew gross it's irrefutable yup my couple is canon deal w/ it :awesome:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I don't like either pairing (I prefer Balthier and Fran as 'bro'mance partners and I can't stand Basch. Not that it matters much to me with that pairing because I can't stand Ashe either lol), but I pretty much saw how canon they were in that game. And also how Vaanelo broke my Larnelo shipping heart.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
And then apparently there is a sidequest in Rabanastre in which you can pair a Viera up with a Human. The Human tells the party that he wouldn't have imagined a Viera and Human pairing could work until he saw Balthier and Fran. That's what I found anyways, I haven't played that game.

I remember that quest. It's in FFXII, not RW. There's a Viera who is traveling the world in search for her true love, and there's man who has been noticing her from afar (I think that's how it goes). I remember it being very obvious that he was referring to Balthier and Fran when he talks about seeing a human and Viera together. :P

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
I would be very surprised if Balthier & Fran hadn't rocked the casbah.

FFXII-BalthierFran_conceptColored.jpg

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
^That pic is in the art book that came with the collector's edition of the strategy guide.

Ergo, official.

Take that as you will, it really doesn't confirm nor deny anything, but it is fun. :)

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Meh, I don't really ship anyone in FFXII, except I don't like Balthier/Ashe. I just...don't. Not sure why.

And I got the feeling that Vaan/Penelo is implied canon, and I do think they are cute.

Other than that though, meh.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Basch & Ashe together really makes me want to throw up. I mean that isn't even funny lol. He's her protector, he's even older than her >_>

So what? Balthier's older than her, too. Granted, not 17 years, but I don't see how that's even relevant.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I don't particularly care for either one, but I sort of like the partnership of Balthier and Fran. I think their charm is that they aren't romantically entangled but there's something more. I dunno, but they're awesome together. And part of the reason is that they aren't actually with each other. That's my opinion anyway. I don't particularly like Balthier/Ashe but I do kinda dislike Basch/Ashe.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
This title angers me, but I love FFXII

Balthier and Fran are the best kind of couple: a couple who are friends, mates, pals, partners. That love runs very deep.

Balthier deserves much better than Ashe. Basch at least would put up with her shit. But in her mind nobody will ever compare to Rassler, and the longer he's dead, the more she'll idealise him.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
But in her mind nobody will ever compare to Rassler, and the longer he's dead, the more she'll idealise him.

You say that like it's gonna be changing any time soon.

Also, Balthier ain't all that goddamn.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I disagree, sir.

Balthier could be in every game ever and it would be okay. Because it's Balthier.

That says, pretty much nothing at all.

He's a decent character and all, but I don't see anything that establishes him as the second coming of Jesus that everyone thinks he is. There's definitely more interesting characters than Balthier in XII.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Balthier looks like a gofer in that picture.

Do not want.

Top Bottom