About Materia

hleV

Pro Adventurer
How does materia slotting even work? I mean besides Buster Sword, which has those two holes which are supposedly materia slots. How does Tifa slot it in her gloves or her... "armor".

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
How does materia slotting even work? I mean besides Buster Sword, which has those two holes which are supposedly materia slots. How does Tifa slot it in her gloves or her... "armor".

I'm thinking this is one of those gameplay/story segragations. I mean, the menu has it to where all your weapons and armlets have slots for materia, but it's not shown in-game. It would be neat if they did so in the remake. Remember that they don't slot the materia onto their clothes, it's either in the weapons or the armlets.

Stryfe

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
TheScrub96 (League of Legends)
I think it would be cool to see the materia on the characters (at least in battle), but I think it might be a little bit distracting to have all of the ultimate weapons on your party with 8 glowing little orbs in them all the time... That is, assuming they keep the materia system the same way in the remake (which I hope they do).

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Look at the official artwork of the characters and you see materia (or slots for it) in most of their weapons. Those small orbs on Tifa's glove? Materia. Likewise the small spheres in Yuffie's shuriken.

hleV

Pro Adventurer
Look at the official artwork of the characters and you see materia (or slots for it) in most of their weapons. Those small orbs on Tifa's glove? Materia. Likewise the small spheres in Yuffie's shuriken.

Good point. Perhaps those orbs are made to absorb materia into them (since they're smaller than materia).

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Or maybe all materia can change size, not just the black materia. Who knows? Materia is really more of a gameplay mechanic than anything, so I haven't ever really given it much thought in terms of the context it has in terms of story and such.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare

That's totally cool; I forgot all about that! I remember seeing them on Tifa's gloves now, but I never actually checked to see them on everyone else's weapons. I hope they have it included like that in the remake; those little details would be sweet.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
After watching the scenes in AC where materia is used, I was under the impression that materia slots on a piece of equipment would allow materia to "diffuse in and out" of it (either infusing the equipment with magic power when merging, or going out of the equipment to recover the materia orb). Following that line of thought, I retrospectively assumed that Aerith's white materia had been diffused in the pink ribbon she's wearing - when she dies, the ribbon becomes undone and releases the materia.
Between artistic license and dealing with something "magic", I'm not sure we could apply physics concepts to how it actually works and behaves.

Top Bottom