Aerith and the Loveless Play...

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I didn't say it was proof, and to me I think she does show up once "It's all over" with Sephiroth, Jenova and everything they have caused for example after she has healed everyone of geostigma and the planet is getting back on its feet again.

It was a senseless murder yes but If she didn't know she was going to die why did she sneak away in the middle of the night? Only Cloud knew.
Perhaps she snuck away because she thought she could do it quickly with no one else there? I don't think she was expecting that she'd need anyone, since the city had been unoccupied for thousands of years.

aerith-in-clouds-eye.png

If she didn't expect to die she would probably have a shocked expression on her face. Even in the original game she doesn't have a surprised expression on her face. Again this is just what I interpreted from my gaming experience and I think both of our opinions are valid and interesting. ^^
I always thought she was smiling up at Cloud, because she had noticed he had shown up. Why would she think she was going to die? Sephiroth is behind her after all, and no one could tell he was there prior. And I don't know if they showed an HD shot of her expression after being stabbed, because imo, that'd be the most important. If she expected it, then I could see her smiling knowingly. If she hadn't, she'd be shocked that she was suddenly stabbed.

They'd better remake the game so us nerds can know if she sacrificed herself or if she was murdered. :rage:

Akemmi

Cetra
AKA
xAkemmix
Perhaps she snuck away because she thought she could do it quickly with no one else there? I don't think she was expecting that she'd need anyone, since the city had been unoccupied for thousands of years.

I always thought she was smiling up at Cloud, because she had noticed he had shown up. Why would she think she was going to die? Sephiroth is behind her after all, and no one could tell he was there prior. And I don't know if they showed an HD shot of her expression after being stabbed, because imo, that'd be the most important. If she expected it, then I could see her smiling knowingly. If she hadn't, she'd be shocked that she was suddenly stabbed.

They'd better remake the game so us nerds can know if she sacrificed herself or if she was murdered. :rage:

lol yeh, I can't wait. They hinted they would after they are done with FFXIII, it would be awesome if they did.

I mean we are going on dialogue with no voice acting so we don't even know the emotion behind the words so it's difficult.

Sephiroth did smash down through the roof so I think she would have heard that, I also think she is smiling at Cloud but It could also mean she was reassuring him this is meant to happen. lol so many possibilities.

xxx

Akemmi

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
A roof? Which one? I can't remember any. :hohum:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
She could have prayed for holy with everyone else there but she choose not to and also in this screenshot from ACC she is smiling knowingly which suggests to me that she knows what is coming.

If she didn't expect to die she would probably have a shocked expression on her face. Even in the original game she doesn't have a surprised expression on her face. Again this is just what I interpreted from my gaming experience and I think both of our opinions are valid and interesting. ^^

As bad as it sounds, Aerith didn't have enough faith in the others. During the Sleeping Forest scene, she says "Only a survivor of the Cetra, like me, can stop him." She was confident in her own abilities, and she knew what to do to stop Sephiroth. It's also just before this scene that Aerith finally starts to see that Cloud isn't himself, so she doesn't want him to get involved and further injure himself in his state.

Also, she wouldn't have really known Sephiroth was coming, because that area was an open area. There was no glass roof, nothing for him to shatter through, he just fell from the sky silently.

There isn't really an HD shot of her post stabbing, but her expression WHILE being stabbed... her eyes widen, her mouth drops, and then her body slumps... Certainly not the expression of someone expecting it.

Then again, Aerith's death can be easily summarized in a quote from Kitase.

In the real world things are very different. You just need to look around you. Nobody wants to die that way. People die of disease and accident. Death comes suddenly and there is no notion of good or bad. It leaves, not a dramatic feeling but great emptiness. When you lose someone you loved very much you feel this big empty space and think, 'If I had known this was coming I would have done things differently.' These are the feelings I wanted to arouse in the players with Aerith's death relatively early in the game. Feelings of reality and not Hollywood.

Clearly it worked for the game, because Aerith talked about "the next time" more than anybody, so she always knew she was going to come back from this alive. They didn't want her to sacrifice herself willingly, because movies and games do that all the time. They wanted to do something different. They wanted to shock the gaming word with a sudden empty feeling death. And they did.

Akemmi

Cetra
AKA
xAkemmix
As bad as it sounds, Aerith didn't have enough faith in the others. During the Sleeping Forest scene, she says "Only a survivor of the Cetra, like me, can stop him." She was confident in her own abilities, and she knew what to do to stop Sephiroth. It's also just before this scene that Aerith finally starts to see that Cloud isn't himself, so she doesn't want him to get involved and further injure himself in his state.

Also, she wouldn't have really known Sephiroth was coming, because that area was an open area. There was no glass roof, nothing for him to shatter through, he just fell from the sky silently.

There isn't really an HD shot of her post stabbing, but her expression WHILE being stabbed... her eyes widen, her mouth drops, and then her body slumps... Certainly not the expression of someone expecting it.

Then again, Aerith's death can be easily summarized in a quote from Kitase.

Clearly it worked for the game, because Aerith talked about "the next time" more than anybody, so she always knew she was going to come back from this alive. They didn't want her to sacrifice herself willingly, because movies and games do that all the time. They wanted to do something different. They wanted to shock the gaming word with a sudden empty feeling death. And they did.

Nice speech but we have no voice acting behind any quotes, I think our questions will be answered with the remake. Weird that I imagined a roof in the cutscene. lol I've seen it so many times and all the movies of ff7 are on my pc.

I've heard that quote before, it's even used in a voices of the lifestream song that I like. ^^

In the end I'll always have my opinion that she knew it was coming. I don't know if it's my stubborness but I just felt it. Thanks for clearing some stuff up.

xxx

Akemmi

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I'm sorry, but what will voice acting accomplish? Aerith doesn't say anything when she dies, all she'll do is gurgle and spurt blood and Cloud will be enraged at Sephiroth.... just like the game.

Akemmi

Cetra
AKA
xAkemmix
I'm sorry, but what will voice acting accomplish? Aerith doesn't say anything when she dies, all she'll do is gurgle and spurt blood and Cloud will be enraged at Sephiroth.... just like the game.

*sighs* You misunderstand. When I was talking to Ninira I was saying voice acting in certain quotes like "I'll come back when It's all over" WILL make a difference and make things easier to interpret. I wasn't talking about that cutscene.

It's about time we get back on topic. lol So...

Btw McChanny what is your icon and sig of? I've always wondered.

xxx

Akemmi

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
"All I remember is the end: the sister of the lead tells her lover 'I'll come back, even if you've moved on, because I know you'll be waiting.'"

It makes sense if that quote was a possible reference to Cloud, if you consider Advent Children. He has apparently moved on (from liking Aerith? From his former mental state? Something), but he's still "waiting" for Aerith in the sense that he awaits forgiveness for allowing her to die. Though IDK if they could be considered lovers or anything.

Akemmi

Cetra
AKA
xAkemmix
"All I remember is the end: the sister of the lead tells her lover 'I'll come back, even if you've moved on, because I know you'll be waiting.'"

It makes sense if that quote was a possible reference to Cloud, if you consider Advent Children. He has apparently moved on (from liking Aerith? From his former mental state? Something), but he's still "waiting" for Aerith in the sense that he awaits forgiveness for allowing her to die. Though IDK if they could be considered lovers or anything.

Yeah, I thought it was a reference to Cloud when I first read it but they weren't lovers so I thought it had to be Zack as "moved on" is another way of saying some one has died and he'll be waiting on her in the lifestream. It's a nice thought. ^^

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Yeah, I thought it was a reference to Cloud when I first read it but they weren't lovers so I thought it had to be Zack as "moved on" is another way of saying some one has died and he'll be waiting on her in the lifestream. It's a nice thought. ^^
"I'll come back, even if you've died, because I know you'll be waiting." Hmm... It's a very interesting theory, to say the least.

Akemmi

Cetra
AKA
xAkemmix
"I'll come back, even if you've died, because I know you'll be waiting." Hmm... It's a very interesting theory, to say the least.

"Yey! Niniria likes my theory!!!" :glomp:

I might update the first post with the theory in it more obviously.

xxx

Akemmi

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I know the quotes from ff7 suggest she didn't willingly sacrifice herself as I've mentioned in other posts but in my personal opinion I think she knew she was going to die.

No need to correct every typing error you see. ^^

I don't, but canon/cannon is a common mistake, and it seems a lot of folks don't know the difference.

I'll get round to it but again I warn you, there is no reasoning with them. O.o

Don't expect any. Just wanna watch the lulz.

And it was said to the lover, as the quote from ff7 states. ^^

So it was.

Oh and I just want to say thanks to everyone for their opinions and taking part in my first thread here, I find McChanny linking KH2 to LOVELESS intriguing.

xxx

Akemmi

No prob.

But Aerith's death was definitely murder. She might have been willing to give her life to the cause, but wasn't intending to.
Also, there was no cieling/ roof in the forgotten capitol prayer room. AFAWAW, she was unaware of Sephiroth's presence.

Akemmi

Cetra
AKA
xAkemmix
I don't, but canon/cannon is a common mistake, and it seems a lot of folks don't know the difference.

Really? I thought everyone on the internetz knew.

Don't expect any. Just wanna watch the lulz.

Lol ok, their material is long, boring and rambling though. Here's one:
http://www.ff7citadel.com/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=10
Enjoy.

But Aerith's death was definitely murder. She might have been willing to give her life to the cause, but wasn't intending to.
Also, there was no cieling/ roof in the forgotten capitol prayer room. AFAWAW, she was unaware of Sephiroth's presence.

lol I think any death caused by unnatural causes is classed as murder but
I get what you are saying, I respect your opinion but I believe she knew it was going to happen and that she knew she had to die for many reasons.

(Oh and I don't know why I thought there was some sort of roof, I watched the cutscene on my pc again, I must have seen It over 50 times, strange my mind added in a roof. )

Valerious

Renotologist
im sure shes glad that she died, so as to be with Zack heh heh!

anyway, yea i also agree she's not intending to, but i bet she's prepared, because of the erm... greenish glow on her materia? she just wanna get it over and done with! hahaha lucky she made it in time.

Akemmi

Cetra
AKA
xAkemmix
im sure shes glad that she died, so as to be with Zack heh heh!

anyway, yea i also agree she's not intending to, but i bet she's prepared, because of the erm... greenish glow on her materia? she just wanna get it over and done with! hahaha lucky she made it in time.

Yeah, anyway we need to get more on topic lol oh and thanks for keeping the topic active Reno. *hugs*

If anyone else can be bothered finding more references linking Aerith to the loveless play then please post them here. *smiles*

xxx

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
hitoshura said:
Am I the only one who thought Cid was talking about himself and his relationship with Shera when he brought up Loveless?
Isn't that one of the things DLPB and "Cathy" were adamant about?

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Really? I thought everyone on the internetz knew.

Kernope.

Lol ok, their material is long, boring and rambling though. Here's one:
http://www.ff7citadel.com/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=10
Enjoy.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

"Take me on an airship someday" is an important Promise? HAH!

An Ancient must die to use Holy? Bullcrap!

Yay idiotic arguments basing assumptions upon further assumptions!

lol I think any death caused by unnatural causes is classed as murder but
I get what you are saying, I respect your opinion but I believe she knew it was going to happen and that she knew she had to die for many reasons.

But that goes against the meaning her death is supposed to have. It also requires her to be psychic, knowing Holy will Fail, summoning it anyways, and dying as part of a bizarre convoluted plot, all without telling anyone or even ever hinting at it, except in the most oblique and asinine way.

Akemmi

Cetra
AKA
xAkemmix
Kernope.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

"Take me on an airship someday" is an important Promise? HAH!

An Ancient must die to use Holy? Bullcrap!

Yay idiotic arguments basing assumptions upon further assumptions!

But that goes against the meaning her death is supposed to have. It also requires her to be psychic, knowing Holy will Fail, summoning it anyways, and dying as part of a bizarre convoluted plot, all without telling anyone or even ever hinting at it, except in the most oblique and asinine way.

So you enjoyed the read? Pretty crazy huh? I'm glad it gave you a lol

lol just give up, I already know all that but It's just a strange vibe I have about the whole thing, I don't want to dive into the whole matter in this thread anyways, I'm sure the remake will answer all our questions, FFVII was so rushed and badly translated after all.

I have another interesting read for you, It has evidence pointing towards that Aerith was meant to be killed later on in the game, you probably already know with your vast knowlage of FFVII but just in case.

xxx

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Lithp, Unholy Quadralateral
In my opinion, LOVELESS is meant to be a nod to whatever's currently going on in the story. Possibly, it has other implications.

Ascension

Rookie Adventurer
It may be related to Aerith but I wish it wasn't vaguely expressed and cryptic to give a more in depth analysis but it is probably a reference to ongoing events in the game or, it might not mean anything at all and it's just filler.

Either way, it just depends on one's own interpretation unless Square decides to tell us themselves one day.

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Lithp, Unholy Quadralateral
To quote myself:

Possibly, it has other implications.

I had an idea a while back, which I'm still not sure of, that the expanded plot of LOVELESS in Crisis Core might serve to foreshadow events in a future title.

Vague & cryptic enough for ya?

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Loveless, to me, always seemed to me a lot like real poems and plays that might be referenced in real life. Depending on the context in which you think of it, it can apply to almost anything. For instance, I was thinking about Vincent when I opened this thread up, and it seems that first line could easily be interpreted as ZackXAerith, CidXShera, or even VincentXLucrecia to one degree or another.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Loveless, to me, always seemed to me a lot like real poems and plays that might be referenced in real life. Depending on the context in which you think of it, it can apply to almost anything. For instance, I was thinking about Vincent when I opened this thread up, and it seems that first line could easily be interpreted as ZackXAerith, CidXShera, or even VincentXLucrecia to one degree or another.

Yeah, but then, so do horoscopes.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
*looks at Cthulu, becomes instantly, mindlessly insane*

Sweet, Cthulu agrees with me. This was exactly my point, just like a generic horoscope, Loveless can be applied and interpreted in regards to anything in the story in some way. Now, as for what the creators intended us to apply it to... that could be The Question.

Top Bottom