Aka Field Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
It's all your damn faults for having username tourette's on here.

Well there's that. I've been trying to stick with the same name long enough to get bored with it. I was Dacon for 5 years after all

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Yeah, but Omega's aka field wasn't empty. Threatening the guy over not adding a UN he had for two weeks is ridiculous. I've politely made requests for people to use their aka field to include their most commonly used UNs, especially when I see they're empty. I don't adding shit for them. You folks should stop editing people's profiles, unless a change is requested.

agreed

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
No one should have to have all their usernames ever in there, but I mean, people who joined in the last two weeks and have font colours and signatures off will have no idea how to identify Omega from his aka fields unless they specifically looked in his aka field before the change, or unless they look in the username change thread to see me quoting his user name change request. As new members, they probably won't know to have done either, because they were overwhelmed by information and might not even know the username change thread exists. People should have their most recent few usernames in their profile. It's just a common courtesy. After they've no longer had a username for a couple of months they can get rid of it if it's not one of their better known ones. But if it's recent, having it in their profile is pretty much essential for people who just joined and have font colours/signatures disabled to identify them. And given the rate of new members joining recently, we very well may have at least one of those.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
If I edited your profile at my discretion regardless of your intentions or desires you most definitely would not be ok with it would you? Tiff resides in vag land at the heart of penis state university where she is studying not to fail her next pregnancy.

me said:
It'd be different if they actually edited my profile to say something insulting.

So yeah, no I would not care if someone edited my aka field to show my username, lol. Some people obviously do care though, so.... It's clear that Aaron's intentions were good, so there's no reason for anyone to get upset because it's not that big of a deal, imo.

If people could get away with not using aka fields it would create confusion. There were actually at least a couple of people who requested that we not do name changes at all before we introduced the aka fields. The aka field was introduced as a way of placating those people, but it doesn't work at all if people don't use it.

My opinion is if a new person came to the Forum, it wouldn't be so confusing for them unless you change your name frequently. They haven't been around long enough to know your original username, so I don't think it really matters. Some people who have been here get confused even WITH the aka fields. xD What I do is check someone's profile if I don't recognize who they are with the name change, which is really not that hard. AKA Field is just a lot easier and I get the point of using it but if you don't want to then that's your choice I guess? Idk. Is that an actual rule of the Forum, to fill it out? I agree that it should be used and most people do use it but if you don't want to then it's not that big of a deal.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I like my aka field neat and tidy and organized in the way of my choosing. I do it myself, not because I have to keep it updated, but because I CHOOSE to. I dont want my most recent username always edited in because then I have to go in and change it anyway. I did not ask for my aka field to be changed - I asked for my username to be changed, and that means keeping my aka updated so that people can identify me. But I don'y update it with every single username I ever use, because that would get very, very long.

When a new user looks at the aka field to identify someone, the fact that the name the board is most familiar with me as is ALSO a fair tipoff. And there's also not that many donators with over 9000 posts (GOO group). There is never any trouble in my being identified. By anyone.

I'd make this more involved but posting from phone because internet just died at home. Point is, it's rude to do stuff without permission/asking.

/best I can do from phonepost

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Is that an actual rule of the Forum, to fill it out?
It's never been added to the official rules but basically yes. It's been adopted as a stipulation of allowing people to change their names this often. If we didn't have it we'd probably change usernames a lot less often.

But I don'y update it with every single username I ever use, because that would get very, very long.
No one's asking you to use every single username you ever use. People are asking you to use your usernames from the last couple of months until they are no longer your most recent usernames.

When a new user looks at the aka field to identify someone, the fact that the name the board is most familiar with me as is ALSO a fair tipoff. And there's also not that many donators with over 9000 posts (GOO group). There is never any trouble in my being identified. By anyone.
And new members may not have paid attention to any of this stuff, because they are overwhelmed by new information and probably have a difficult time just attaching personalities with current usernames.

I'd make this more involved but posting from phone because internet just died at home. Point is, it's rude to do stuff without permission/asking.
I've already apologised for this, and since it appears a number of people don't want it done it won't be done in the future. I'm not sure what else you want me to say.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
So yeah, no I would not care if someone edited my aka field to show my username, lol. Some people obviously do care though, so.... It's clear that Aaron's intentions were good, so there's no reason for anyone to get upset because it's not that big of a deal, imo.

Your AKA field is a part of your profile Tiff. It can only be edited through the usercp for members.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, everyone's saying the same thing over and over again.

Aaron didn't mean anything malicious by it; No one on staff will do it anymore; Members should keep it reasonably up to date.

/thread Can it be closed?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Last thing I'll say:

If they're not reading the AKA field, then having my most recent username doesn't matter in the first place.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It's all your damn faults for having username tourette's on here.

Everyone could just develop Custom User Title tourette's instead, and keep one static Username, and then we wouldn't even NEED an AKA field. :awesome:
Problem solved. :awesomonster:

EDIT: Sorry, just replied with a window that was still open. Didn't know that the thread was closed & shit. :monster:

X :neo:

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Members joining within the last two weeks won't know anyone. I highly doubt they'll have a problem with Omega not adding Hotaru to his goddamn aka field. :monster:

This issue has managed to get more attention than it ever deserved. Stop editing people's profiles, and if you feel like a name should be added to an aka field. ASK.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
blargh, you two. I closed it and then you two post and now it looks like we're trying to get last words in. :monster:

EDIT: I'll edit your post so I don't have to add a new one :wacky:: I didn't even realize it was closed. :monster: :Roadwashere:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I don't think this is really resolved, because people have different opinions on what should be reqiured.

I think a lot of you don't remember what it's like to be a new member at a message board. It's hard enough to attach screen names to posting styles. There is absolutely no chance that anyone will possibly be able to remember all of people's akas, if they even bother to pay close attention to them. Much less user titles, font colours, username colours, signatures, and so on, which people seem to be expecting are important enough for new members to remember. It's not like that. I'm lurking two message boards where I've never posted before and the only thing I ever remember are usernames and avatars. Since people almost always change their avatars with their screen names here, I'd say their most recent screen names should be listed in the aka fields for easy reference. We have had at least two genuine new members in the last two weeks. It's intimidating enough being a new member without people changing their names all the time and not even bothering to accommodate you.

If they're not reading the AKA field, then having my most recent username doesn't matter in the first place.
I didn't say they aren't reading it. I said they probably don't remember it - because they're overwhelmed by information. That's why it's there. For the convenience of the members. To make information as accessible as possible.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I don't really think it is. I'll discuss why in staff though, no need to air our arguments in public I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom