Aliens: Colonial Marines

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I figured that now might be a good time to make this topic, since Sega just released the demo video from E3. The gameplay video is taken from the 360 version & is narrated by Gearbox’s Randy Pitchford.

X :neo:

Vendel

Banned
Gave me a pup-tent just watching this.

If we had seen someone getting burned by alien blood I would have needed a change of underwear.

Ghost X

Does not seem like something I'd play, but at the same time, I'd probably enjoy watching a playthrough, and learning about the story, as its apparently supposed to be canon and all. The demo was quite interesting to watch anyway.

Last edited:

Sesc

Audiophile
Sweet. The demo video looks fairly good, not too big of a fan of the new Alien introduced, but I'll see how it goes.

I love the Alien films, and the old Aliens vs Predator games, so this better not disappoint -- that AvP game released early last year was such a letdown.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Needs more acidic blood, and the walking animation looks a bit wonky, but otherwise do want. The flame spewing cargo-loader being taken down was particularly sweet.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Bonus points for using the Moon soundtrack.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
Well I'm definitely liking the art design. My only real concern is that the aliens seem to go down really easy, which I can understand is kinda necessary for a shoot-em-up game but still bugs me. Also some of the animations seem unnaturally smooth, but otherwise looks good. Seems like there's gonna be some neat little set pieces too.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
My only real concern is that the aliens seem to go down really easy, which I can understand is kinda necessary for a shoot-em-up game but still bugs me.

Difficultly settings ;)

This looks good, but how long will the single player campaign be? :huh:

I have the sinking feeling that it'll be 6 hours long and the producers will try to make up for it with a load of multiplayer.

wiki said:
Story

Described as a true sequel to James Cameron's film, the story of Aliens: Colonial Marines takes place after the events of the third film, Alien 3.[16] Much of the main plot was written by Battlestar Galactica writers Bradley Thompson and David Weddle.[17] The story is told through the eyes of Corporal Christopher Winter, a Colonial Marine that is part of a search and rescue team sent to investigate the U.S.S. Sulaco in search of Ellen Ripley, Corporal Dwayne Hicks, and the rest of the missing marines who were dispatched to LV-426. The Sulaco, LV-426, and the derelict alien spacecraft from Alien all serve as environments in the game, as well as other locations yet to be detailed.[18][19]

Gearbox has stated that they were invited to speak with Ridley Scott and view the script for his Alien prequel Prometheus, insinuating that there may be connections or references to the events of Prometheus in Aliens: Colonial Marines.[20]

Sounds good. :)

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
“It was probable that the first meeting that Colonial Marines director Brian Martell had with Ridley Scott long before the project [started that]…not only inspired and led to what became the Colonial Marines project but also led to Prometheus.”

mother-of-god-template.jpg

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
looks dope. though I've always thought that Alien would make for a good survival horror game too.

also, I've played a lot of games and seen a lot of movies, but the pulse rifle is still my favourite gun design. it's just gorgeous.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Looks like it's delayed (again). This time it's pushed out 'til February 12, 2013, but it's one of those games I think will be worth the wait. Also, there's a new trailer (100% in-game footage).

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Played a bit over an hour on it myself. Its not a horrible game. But its not really good so far either.

It makes a decent first impression, what with the music and sound effects replicating the feel of Aliens, even if the graphics are sub-par. But once you start encountering the Aliens they rapidly go from terrifying menace to mild annoyance.

Their AI is bad. They have no idea how to really take advantadge of stealth and wall-crawling to attack you. They just kinda settle for getting in a boxing stance and coming at you.

Squad AI is also bad. Squad members will only shoot a little, and not all that accurately. Sometimes they fail to notice the Aliens chewing on their faces.

Gameplay mechanics at least are competent, but nothing special.

If you want to play this game I'd keep it at a rental if I were you.

I'm hoping the story will make up for its shortcomings as I proceed through the campaign.

I have heard the multiplayer is good, but I haven't tried it myself, so who knows.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Without getting into spoilers, I should point out that there are non Alien enemies in this game. You fight humans too. They are far more of a threat than the xenomorphs, at least duringg the levels on the Sulaco.

Something about that doesn't seem quite right...

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
:sigh:

Well thats a bummer. I mean, I remember watching the trailer and thinking they gave too much away too early - the Aliens appeared to quickly - and they didn't seem too smart but I figured that could be tweaked.

Anyone remember the game of The Thing? That was pretty awesome in how it was done. Like even though if you'd seen the film you'd have an idea what to expect it was still a very tense experience. And that was 10 years ago.

Top Bottom