Barret is not &#^$ing racist

I wonder if "the angry black man" is much of a stereotype outside the US. It's not one I was familiar with before this thread started. Anyone else?

Lex

Administrator
Nope, no angry black man stereotypes in Scotland unless they're on like US TV shows or something.

In fact, anyone of African descent I know in Glasgow is either in the healthcare industry (nursing, elderly care homes) or at university. I think there are groups in the city centre that try to pimp out teenagers that are predominantly muslim/middle eastern, but that's about it.

Novus

Pro Adventurer
There is an argument to make by making black characters behave differently, you're also being racist by denying them their native tongue and replacing them with an idealised white middle class version for the white (well) omni-class. Obama doesn't speak for the black community because his tongue is that of a white lawyer and not the angry black hoodlum crying out for justice.
See the millions of noble-savage essays for more.

GiinJoww

Rookie Adventurer
There's no way that I can't post something here. lol I hope I can make a lot of sense of the racist dilemma in FFVII. I'm mixed and was raised in African American culture so that really helps when looking at the issue. I'm just going to address various points from this thread in no particular order.

Barret is a racist and/or stereotypical character.
Translation: WHY ARE YOU HURTING ME AGAIN?! The rage of black individuals is fueled by hurt. I don't know how well you guys are familiar with how many destructive forces a black person has to deal with from infancy onward, but there are many. There are a number of blacks who do not have personal experience with every one of these forces, but the majority of blacks come up against enough of them that they become emotionally and psychologically scarred. Black people are so used to being hurt, especially by white society, that they are quick to judge and condemn any work created by a person who belongs to said society or identifies with it.

To a black person Barret represents many things. On the surface level he represents the stereotypes that have repeatedly been used against blacks throughout the centuries to hurt and deprive them of their humanity. I'm going to list the ones that apply to Barret off the top of my head.

Black people are uneducated
Black people talk weird
Black people can't be leaders
Black people are always angry
Black people are dangerous
Black people can't properly raise families
Black people are poor
Black people live in crappy neighborhoods
Black people are associated with prisons
Black people are associated with guns
Black people are scary
Black people have no heritage
Black people act "black"

I can't speak for Square when they created Barret's character, but I will submit what I believe they had in mind when creating Barret. Above all, the fact that they made Barret a black character and part of the main cast with a significant contribution to the story and background cannot be overlooked. The world of gaming, especially back then, had little to offer in the way of characters targeted to black communities. Square didn't have to create the Barret that we know and love today but they did, and not only create him but tried to make him into a black character that the black community would accept.

The fact remains that these stereotypes are rooted in truth. Many black people across America can personally identify with one of those attributes on the list. The problem with stereotypes is that they traditionally paint things in a negative light, can be lies that are promoted as truth, are used to cause harm, generalize diverse people groups, and do not address the deeper issue to inform the audience, all the while making a mockery of it. So when a black person first sees the surface level of FFVII and they're too psychologically and emotionally scarred they won't see the deeper level. They will not understand that Barret is not an attempt to hurt them, again.

Some black people are so sick of the emotional and psychological onslaught that they have to deal with that they don't want to see the black identity in a negative light in works of fiction or fantasy. Especially in fiction or fantasy for some, because it's a safe haven where anything is supposed to be possible, even for black people. This generally means that all stereotypes that the individual finds offensive must be avoided. This is impossible to do across all of the African American cultures and people groups because not all of them are offended by the same things.

People often make the mistake of generalizing African Americans into one large people group and culture, create a work that's afrocentric or that has an African American character, then are confused when they receive negative backlash. If the creator finds themselves thinking, "No matter what I do I just can't please them" they have overgeneralized and attempted the impossible task of pleasing every African American group and culture. Creators should find one group of African Americans to target with their works and ignore those not in their target group. Barret was created for a certain African American group and culture, not all of them.

Barret is uneducated.
We are told nothing of Barret's education. We know that he used to be a coal minor in Corel and later that he moved to Midgar with his daughter Marlene. The general consensus throughout the game is that if you aren't living on top of the Plate or working for Midgar then chances are you are not an educated person. Barret is not the only under educated or uneducated person in FFVII, but when first introduced to him at the start of the game the worst is assumed. In fact, a lot of people made their living with careers that did not require them to go to school. Barret was a coal miner back in the day. Others are Materia or weapons dealers, Chocobo jockies, farmers, etc. There is a great pressure on black people to get their education, so to some Barret's character is unacceptable because he did not fulfill this expectation by having a character role that emphasized how smart and educated he was.

Barret talks weird and acts "black".
Whether it's a reference to Mr. T or not, Barret talks like some black people. The individuals who have problems with this are those who are uncomfortable with their "blackness" or black culture, to be more politically correct. These have been taught to hate or feel ashamed of the black culture and so will shun it in favor of past white culture and modern day neutral American culture. Being unable to talk "properly" also makes Barret seem uneducated.

Barret is not leader material.
I know many of us feel differently, but for the sake of the argument. lol Barret starts out as the leader AVALANCHE. Upon leaving Midgar the team decides that they need to pick a leader and Cloud is chosen. Later on in the game when the opportunity arises for Barret to assume leadership he professes that he's not a good choice. But Tifa is, even though she's a woman (sorry but this would be thought in some circles) and because she's white. But Cid is, because he's another white male character. But Cloud is, because he's the main white male character, nevermind that Sephiroth can influence him. Some areas of this stereotype for Barret can be debated, but the fact remains that as a character Barret realized what he was lacking and was willing to give the leadership role to someone else.

Barret is always angry.
"Not all black people are angry or always angry!" Many of us are, for some of the same reasons that Barret is. He sees the injustice in the world, struggles against the oppression of a corrupted government/corporation, and deals with the prejudice of those who work for said organization or belong to privileged or accepted people groups and cultures. His family was killed, his hometown destroyed, and the very planet he lives on is slowly being killed. Barret has every right to be angry. The same right many black people have. The same right every person has.

Barret is dangerous.
Barret is dangerous. He's dangerous to Shinra and he's dangerous to civilians if "the ends justifies the means". Because Barret is fighting in the interest of mankind his danger meter decreases, then steadily rises when he continues to act dangerously and offensively. Shortly after we are introduced to daddy Barret, who is giving his all to love and support his daughter in the best way he can given the path that he's chosen in life. In the end, with his mission to save the Planet and his relationship with Marlene, his adoptive daughter, Barret's danger meter is decreased to acceptable levels. By default, in media and many cultures, black is dangerous and/or evil.

Barret isn't a good parent.
No more or less than any of the other parents in FFVII. We find out later in the game that Dayne, Marlene's biological father, wanted to kill her. From Corel's destruction to the start of the game Barret was there for Marlene, even making sure she got proper schooling. Then he had to save the world so he couldn't be the dad Marlene needs him to be -- not yet. He did what any good parent in his situation would do and that's to leave Marlene in the care of someone who will take care of her while he's gone. Before the final battle with Sephiroth I'm sure he took the time to visit his baby girl. He wasn't exactly guaranteed to live after the battle and he'd need to know if Evelyn would be willing to continue to care for her if the team never made it back. They did live and Barret and Marlene were reunited. In AC/C he's searching for an alternative energy source. Correction, he found one. He had left Marlene in the care of another to be able to go on his journey, but he took care to keep in touch with Marlene and to visit her when he could. Barret hasn't abandoned Marlene and his baby girl still calls him "daddy". They tight, don't trip. Sure, Square Enix could have chosen a different path for Barret, but they didn't. That doesn't make the one they did choose bad, but one that some black people aren't ready for.

Barret is poor.
For all we know Barret was at the top of his game. Then Shinra came and ruined his life. With nothing to his name Barret traveled to Midgar. He wanted revenge, but he also needed to provide for Marlene. He found a job in Midgar and a home for Marlene. Barret has to start all over again, but he doesn't have his eyes set on riches. He wants revenge. He wants to save the Planet. He wants to create a better world for his baby girl. Maybe he'll get rich or be well off after setting up the oil company.

Barret lives in crappy places.
The Slums are crappy because of Shinra. Corel was destroyed because of Shinra. Before Shinra he was living in a beautiful town, had a nice house, and a wonderful wife and friends. Edge isn't that much better than the Slums, but everyone's working on building a home out of Midgar's ruins. After the world is saved the team members had the same dilemma Barret did. Save for Nanaki, Cait Sith, Yuffie, and Cid none of them had a home to return to. In one way or another, everyone in Midgar had to start all over.

Barret is associated with prisons.
Guess who made Old Corel into a prison town? Dyne. Dyne created a hostile and unforgiving place of suffering. Barret went to the prison willingly because he heard rumors about Dyne and wanted to tell him about Marlene, apologize, and set him straight. After Dyne killed himself they left. There's nothing wrong with this storyline. Some black people just aren't ready for it.

Barret is associated with guns.
Barret has a gun arm. In AC/C his gun arm can also convert into a hand. Again, nothing wrong with Barret having a gun arm, just too close to home for some black people.

Barret is scary.
At least he's not scary because he has black skin. You won't find that reference anywhere in FFVII. Barret does come across as a scary character because of his gun arm and his tendency to have explosive fits of passion and anger. His manner of speaking is rather crude and aggressive a good number of the time as well. Anyone with these same characteristics is going to come off as scary to the average Gaian in the FFVII verse. Besides, there are plenty of other scary people in the game who would put Barret to shame in this category. Sephioroth being number one.

Barret has no heritage.
This is the only stereotype that I can think of that did not get addressed in FFVII. Yes, we know that Barret lived in Corel, but we don't know anything about his history beyond that. Not his adolescence or his childhood. Barret is not the only character to have this done to, so it's not a slight against Square in that regard. At the same time, when it is clearly seen that the Continents represent Europe and Wutai represents Japan, one can only wonder what the history of the black people in FFVII is. No answer is given, not even a hint. Black people just exist. However, isn't it refreshing that they didn't fall back on slavery?

If for some reason, or all the reasons, anyone has a problem with Barret know this: he is an overcomer, an achiever, and a hero.

Thanks for this, I found it very thoughtful, interesting, and insightful.

Just a couple of points:

1. Leadership: Barret was a leader in Corel. Because of his leadership, the village council outvoted Dyne and agreed to let Shinra build a reactor. Barret feels that as a direct result of his leadership, Corel was destroyed and Dyne is dead. In other words, it is not his blackness that disqualifies him to be a leader, but his guilt and his own sense of failure and incompetence as a leader. In Midgar, when he's driven forward by rage, he naturally assumes the leadership role, but as he becomes less angry and more reflective, and especially after his backstory with Dyne is resolved, he no longer craves to be the one calling the shots. He is willing to led Cloud lead because Cloud is the one who understands Sephiroth, and Cloud seems to know where they're going.

As a leader in Corel, Barret seems calm, rational, and well-respected. As a leader of Avalanche, he is ruled by anger and impulsiveness, which appear to be a result of his PTSD. However, if you look at his actions and achievements as a leader of Avalanche, you can see that he's pretty competent, if irascible; the others don't challenge him for the leadership role, even thought he can fly off the handle quite easily.

Barret gets ousted from the leadership role not because he's incompetent but as part of the LTD - both Tifa and Aerith vote for Cloud. Of course, because Cloud is the protagonist it was inevitable that he end up as the leader of the party one way or another, but the way it was done was quite humorous, and even Barret seemed to realise that the vote was less about leadership qualities and more about being handsome.

In short, I think the game presents Barret as someone who is a natural leader, and who has considerable experience of leadership, but whose story arc requires him to come to the realisation that he's not in the right place, emotionally or psychologically, to be a leader at that point.

2. Fatherhood: Barret totally wins the parenting prize hands down in FFVII. He's devoted to his daughter, he sacrifices the thing he wants most (to be with her) in order to make the world safe for her - and doesn't go and die on her or use her for human experimentation, which puts him way ahead of most of the other parents in the game.

While the mystery of Cloud and Tifa's history helps to drive the narrative forward in Discs I and II, Barret shares with Aerith the job of carrying most of the game's emotional weight.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
You want ridiculous caricatures go watch Boondocks, The Wiz, Shaft, Black Dynamite, and Black Jesus.

Those are caricatures.

If you want real people who react genuinely to a story and aren't played up like jokes, go somewhere else.

Even Cait Sith had his serious moments in FFVII.

No one ever talks about the Turks either.

GiinJoww

Rookie Adventurer
LicoriceAllsorts
Agreement! You summed up Barret's leadership with much better words than I could put together. I never realized he was a leader in Corel, but that's cool. It makes a lot more about him make sense to me in regard to his hometown. Absolutely on the parenting bit, no getting around that. And, you're welcome and thank you.

The fact that Rude is "South American" tends to take him out of the argument. South America was even more of a melting pot than North America. I guess by American race standards he'd be "Latino" but those standards aren't applicable in the world of FFVII.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Even so, people tend to judge by skin color and speech/mannerisms mostly. (That's how first impressions work after all. You're not going to look at a man with dark skin and call him a Latino at first glance, are you?)

So discussing even a guy like him as a character is noteworthy.

If he were in my country I'd call him a Canadian, unless he was obviously a tourist or visitor, in which case I'd try to guess from his accent.

Unless I'm much mistaken, wasn't General Leo in FFVI dark-skinned?

GiinJoww

Rookie Adventurer
Admittedly, I never thought Rude as Latino, but African American going off first impressions. He reminded me of a bouncer in a suit. I understood Rude being designed to look South American as his inspiration being from the southern part of America so I never made the connection that he is/could be Latino/Afro-Latin. I've always considered him to be an individual of mixed heritage, though, and am in favor of that head canon. Him being based off South America fits him for me as well, whether he's Latino or Afro-Latin. It would be nice to see more Latino/Afro-Latin Rude in the fandom.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
If he were in my country I'd call him a Canadian, unless he was obviously a tourist or visitor, in which case I'd try to guess from his accent.

Unless I'm much mistaken, wasn't General Leo in FFVI dark-skinned?

Leo was light skinned with a mow-hawk hairstyle IIRC.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
General Leo was definitely darker skinned than the majority of VI's cast. Check out the character designs to see what I mean.

Because Nomura said he was "South American", fanfic writers often give his hometown as Costa del Sol.

I kind of like that, if only because Club Duel is there (where the Turks pick up Azul).

Top Bottom