Barret's Date With Cloud

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
If this was a new game, and not a remake then I wouldn't give a shit. I think it's good that a lot of recent RPG's make it player choice who to romance and stuff.

But in VII, no matter what side of the Cloud/Aerith Cloud/Tifa debate you're on, it can't be denied that Clouds attraction to Tifa is part of who he is and one of the key parts of him finding himself. I don't think it would work any other way. I mean we already know he doesn't end up with Barret or Yuffie canonically. So it would be kind of pointless having the ablility to romance anyone else imo.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I repeat: Yuffie is the only one Cloud straight up shares any physical affection with. I think the canon speaks for itself. :monster:

Ah, I know - I genuinely do not believe for one second there is any form of repressed feelings of a romantic nature - hence the "shifty eyes"; I was just jokin' about with that one (but I know you meant your point just in a general manner) :)

It also tells us Cloud knows better than to argue with him in this case, heh!

Ha, yeah don't worry I knew you were joking around. :D And yeh cloud knew better than to push Barret's buttons at that point.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
I have also considered the possibility that the date mechanic may have been intended just to give you one-on-one time with a character, to get to know them a bit better.
In which case, I don't see why it should be limited to 4 people, and primarily women. Or be a date. I'd love to see it expanded without regard for cannon. Or logic. Or Cloud. Let me be the main character and date whoever I want is I guess what I'm saying.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
Oh yeah! I actually didn't know that until recently when I was making my friend play the game. I thought it was always closed off outside the date. Do you actually get a scene with whoever you pick?

Starling

Pro Adventurer
They don't actually talk but they all react differently to being confined to a small space in the presence of Cloud.

Best I could find is skipping to 43:18 of this video, as no one seems to have posted just the montage of characters riding the gondola. 45:50 is when it finishes going on about the ability to ride the gondola outside the date and the FMVs you can see by doing so in order to show Vincent and Cait's reactions to the gondola.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
I tried to see if I could do it on my own, make a video with everyone or something, but apparently it's only available for a fairly small window, and I don't have any save files in that window. Guess I'll have to play the game through again. :P
It for sure doesn't look satisfying as a way of getting to know the characters even better, but MAN those FMVS tho. I can't believe they made those difficult to find, they're amazing.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
So what if the remake lets any of the characters take Cloud out on a date in GS? Just putting that out there. :monster:

Please don't shoot me if that's already been mentioned. :P

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I'm pretty sure I brought it up. Cait wouldn't be possible for plot reasons but everyone else is fair game. The issue is they'd probably have to either completely rework the date mechanics from the ground up or scrap them and give you a more straightforward way of picking your date.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
I'd love to see something like frequency with which you put people in your party get factored in. Who you give special items. More variables.
Would hate a straightforward "who you wanna go with." That would be such a step backwards imo. And would probably eliminate the possibility of easter eggs.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I think Xenoblade Chronicles' affinity system is a good example of some stuff they could do to rework the date mechanics to include the other party members.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Yeah, I'd like to see more variables at play so that you can get a date with all your party members. Except Cait for story/plot reasons. Who knows, maybe they'd throw in other characters too. :monster:
I'd laugh if Cloud caught a glimpse of Tseng and Elena in a gondola, but doesn't get a good view and thinks it must've been someone else. :awesome:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
The Turks can't get involved either, for story reasons. after all, the party doesn't know they're there until Cait betrays them.

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
I'd love to see something like frequency with which you put people in your party get factored in. Who you give special items. More variables.
Would hate a straightforward "who you wanna go with." That would be such a step backwards imo. And would probably eliminate the possibility of easter eggs.

Didn't FFX do something similar when determining who you would ride with on the snow mobile to get to Macalania temple? Who Tidus healed with potions and stuff? Not sure of the specifics but it was more than dialog choices wasn't it?

RedFFWolf

Donator
Didn't FFX do something similar when determining who you would ride with on the snow mobile to get to Macalania temple? Who Tidus healed with potions and stuff? Not sure of the specifics but it was more than dialog choices wasn't it?

Yup. A point to each person you healed, a point for guarding another and, hilariously, a point decreased when you attack another party member (basically saying they know what he's doing!! - Indeed, am I right in saying if you attack Lulu near the beginning of the game she scolds you?)

And not just points for dialogue choices but, when the party is all out and available to talk to, points for whomever you talk to first.
(And bar the Macalania scene, you also get, I think, two bits on the Airship battle against Sin - one before the fight, and the other is who will end up jumping down onto Sin first - and it applied to everyone)

I worked for them Kimahri scenes :)

Anyhow, something like that would be interesting - adds some interesting elements and extra replay value for those who don't just Google hidden scenes

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
Yup. A point to each person you healed, a point for guarding another and, hilariously, a point decreased when you attack another party member (basically saying they know what he's doing!! - Indeed, am I right in saying if you attack Lulu near the beginning of the game she scolds you?)

And not just points for dialogue choices but, when the party is all out and available to talk to, points for whomever you talk to first.
(And bar the Macalania scene, you also get, I think, two bits on the Airship battle against Sin - one before the fight, and the other is who will end up jumping down onto Sin first - and it applied to everyone)

I worked for them Kimahri scenes :)

Anyhow, something like that would be interesting - adds some interesting elements and extra replay value for those who don't just Google hidden scenes

Awesome dude thanks, I thought it was a lot more involved than previous games had been in that respect. Surely its a no brainer to implement a more in depth system like this, and for more than just the date scene obviously? Not technically I mean just one of many features that will hopefully make the cut. Like you say that alone adds replay value.

RedFFWolf

Donator
Awesome dude thanks, I thought it was a lot more involved than previous games had been in that respect. Surely its a no brainer to implement a more in depth system like this, and for more than just the date scene obviously? Not technically I mean just one of many features that will hopefully make the cut. Like you say that alone adds replay value.

No problem, man!

Truly, what makes these games great is the fact that even hilarious dialogue choices have significant character development impact later on :)

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
This is the coolest shit I've ever heard and I want all games to do this.
I mean, if you know it's there it can be abused, but if you're not even thinking about it? (Which I wasn't, I didn't know about this at all, I think I got Rikku both times I played.)
Like you know when you make a dialogue choice that it's going to effect something, and it makes you think about your answer, so I think that's really cool that they factored in elements you don't think about that very well may still point to preference.

Top Bottom