Beacause [VII Retranslation Project]

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I forgot about that! See here (the ACC discussion starts around post #31).

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I dunno, dude was majorly narcissistic or something.

Inflated feelings of self-importance and superiority complex and all that shit. Accepted nobody's opinions and was incredibly belittling. He didn't want help from anyone, he just wanted everyone to agree with him to stroke his ego.

Possibly the most irritating person to ever grace this board.

Don't know why anyone agreed to work under him. Must be the thing where people just do things simply because they're told to, like uh, that Milgram experiment or whatever. :wacky:

Also, can't believe it's been five years since all of that happened. Sure left an impression. :lol:

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Uh, I think you're vastly underestimating how much dialogue the game has. :huh:

Yes, probably :monster:. I'm mostly judging by the fact it's 1-2 lines of dialog at the time, not, for example, whole books like the TES games or tl;dr quest descriptions in MMO's. Is there a readable dialog script somewhere?

Tetsuoooo said:
Don't know why anyone agreed to work under him.

Probably not because of the person, but because of his goals and aspirations, and sharing in that. I mean nobody in their right mind would've wanted to work under Steve Jobs (or get near him, supposedly he reeked), but the guy had the right ideas and whipped his people into making some of the highest-quality electronics out there. Oh and Pixar. Not that DLPB is Steve Jobs though, and I hope he has better personal hygiene, too :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i think the biggest question is this

what happened with 'flunkies' in the end?

Yes, probably :monster:. I'm mostly judging by the fact it's 1-2 lines of dialog at the time, not, for example, whole books like the TES games or tl;dr quest descriptions in MMO's. Is there a readable dialog script somewhere?
someone call shademp

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I don't remember him being bullied, at least not here. I remember him asking for help, then several of us (me, Lex and hito, for sure) agreeing to help, then him being a jerk to basically everyone, and then everyone telling him to fuck off.

I went through his posts and I agree that he does come off really strong. As for the bullying I was referring to people on 4chan posting pictures of his mugshot with the caption "no life" on top. I know he's a jerk and all, but people who do that bug me even more.

I agree that it would take a very stubborn mind to stick with that kind of project, but Shademp has that kind of mind and he is such a not-jerk that I give Daniel no pass whatsoever.

Ahh yes, I forgot about Shademp. That dude is the best.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
His reaction to ACC and being mad at a long fight scene makes me wonder how mad he'd be about Fury Road.

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
lol, but even ignoring the infamy of the original error, "The person in there is ill?" Who talks like that?

Challenge accepted.
"The male human inside of the tube is indisposed".

I tried my best and it took me about 20 minutes to think of a sentence more steril than the "The person in there is ill". God he made a good job! If I'll ever get a chance to produce a direct sequel to the "The Room (2003)", I'll hire this guy as the head for the dialogue. Here's a small taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4KzClb1C4

Pixel

The Pixie King
Figured I'd post this here
http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/3669114

It annoys me that the person who actually did the work doesn't get credited, but whatever.

I have considered doing a similar project from a writers perspective. Having worked on rewriting some of the novellas with the help of you guys, I know I could do a better job... but I don't see the point.

Lex

Administrator
I can't listen to it, the player is flash only. And nobody should be using flash for a while.

Also, pretty sure Luksy did the actual translating.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I can't listen to it, the player is flash only. And nobody should be using flash for a while.

Also, pretty sure Luksy did the actual translating.

They're on itunes as well. I just watched the first little bit of someone playing the mod... not that accurate to the japanese tbh

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
He gets an article to himself? Did he actually do anything worthwhile other than boss people around to do the work for him?

You could say they were... *puts on shades* ...his flunkies.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

I laughed probably too hard at this...

Burke welcomes positive criticism, in fact... "I'm not against changing my mind. I'm not rigid that I'm going to browbeat people and say, I've done it this way, go away. If they've got a good reason for it, I'm not against changing it."

giphy.gif

This too.

Anyway, watching that before and after clip, it's the same problem as before. Some of the changes are welcome - like a distinguishing accent for Reeve/Cait Sith - and really make things work better. But so many other lines became completely sterile transliterations with no feeling behind them. To say nothing of his own weird idiosyncracies. As the article itself points out, why insist on going with Moguri? If you want a serious transliteration, why isn't it Molebat? Or, just make it Moogle as is the established norm direct from Square?

I also see the article, in referring to Cait Sith as a "most-loved" character, avoided any diatribes about how he breaks fiction and that Burke was simultaneously creating a mod to write Cait Sith out of the plot entirely.

Oh, how I miss that debate I had with him... trying to wipe out the character entirely and/or replace him with a regular robot.. Or replacing Reeve or just the random transliteralizations for no reason "Phoenix Tail" when it's Phoenix Down literally everywhere else? Wrrrryyyy

I forgot about that! See here (the ACC discussion starts around post #31).

I will confirm what Tres said. We still have the thread where he came to the board here. It's not very difficult to see him being a dick to... basically the entire board before anyone was a dick to him. I observed a similar pattern at qhimm, although I did not spend anywhere near as much time at that board.

I will also add that he's the only person I can think of to receive permabans from this board on two separate occasions, and he richly deserved both of them.

Well, you all know where I'll be...

eFTJB.gif

c9d7fa6702f09a2c4c25883c4e3e2a80.gif

Uh, I think you're vastly underestimating how much dialogue the game has. :huh:

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7/ff7cscript.html

http://www.yinza.com/Fandom/Script.html

If they have to break it down by area for you, chances are it's more than an hour long read :monster:

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
So I stumbled across the Eurogamer article about Beacause, completely independent from this thread. I thought it sounded pretty interesting. Then I came to see if people here had anything to say about it.
WHOOOO boy I was not expecting all that. Especially after looking into the dude's old posts... what a supercilious ass-hat.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I remember this mod. Wasn't it not actually a retranslation and actually just him rewriting the script, or am I mistaken. I never liked his attitude, anyway.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I remember this mod. Wasn't it not actually a retranslation and actually just him rewriting the script, or am I mistaken. I never liked his attitude, anyway.
From what I can discern, most of the translating was done by another person, and he just put his own spin on it.

Top Bottom