BERSERK

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
The new anime does actually get better, both story-wise and even sometimes the animation. I ended up really enjoying it because of the new story bits that I never saw (stopped reading the manga years ago and I don't own any volumes). :monster: The animation usually, quite frankly, sucks, but sometimes it's not bad and the music and story made up for it mostly. :D

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Welp, the two other movies are on Netflix too; finally something to connect the dots before the "new" anime starts. I did quite like the animation in those movies, compared to the anime; there's plenty of CGI but it's not as annoying as the anime.

Anyway, shit's dark yo :closedmonster:. I was under the impression that
there'd be a bit more backstory to how he got the mech hand and giant sword, like, there being some Quest or something involved to get it, but eh, guess not.

now I feel like starting the anime again :closedmonster:. I did read a synopsis on wikipedia; how far is the manga? I get the impression that there's not much more to the whole thing after the last season of the anime.

edit: also lol fanart

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
There is a crazy lot after the last season of the anime. Around 120 manga chapters, which is pretty much half as much as what has been adapted so far.

However, it is true that with Miura's hiatuses and whatnot, an anime series would quickly catch up!

Either way, if you can take reading manga (some people just like animation and will not bother reading) I would suggest starting over. The movies gloss over or skip lots of things so reading it from the start is still rewarding, once you get to the parts that were skipped.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Eh I'd probably have to shell out a fuckton to get it, or pirate it and read it on the computerer or something, which is not cool so :monster:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Hey @Theozilla, off topic, but do you think people will be similarly disappointed with Berserk's ending? I've seen you on SK.net before so I figure you probably have a better feel for their opinions than I do. I've long thought that the story won't resolve with Guts getting his epic revenge on Griffith, at least. I think his larger arc will resolve with him letting go of hate (not forgiving Griffith at all, mind you) and just doing what he has to.
Changing threads, to keep the other on topic.

While every series regardless of quality will inevitably have people dissatisfied with the ending, particularly long ongoing series that have allowed audiences to percolate their own expectations for an ending over time, I don’t think Berserk will have a comparable negative reaction.

One, Berserk’s demographic makes it’s so that it’s audience isn’t ever going to be as huge as a series like AoT, so that makes for a markedly different fandom experience. Two, I do think Miura is a more skilled storyteller than Isayama is, so I do have more confidence in his skill.
Three, Berserk, to my knowledge, doesn’t have an equivalent segment of delusional far right fans (like AoT had with many of its “fandom Jaegerists” and other weirdos), that I think is another big difference.
And lastly, I personally couldn’t speculate on Berserk’s ending that much, I do think Griffith’s defeat will likely involve the Moonlight Boy (i.e. Guts and Casca’s son) in some manner, and I do hope it will involve the Brand of Sacrifice being removed from Guts and Casca eventually (as even if Griffith and the God Hand are defeated, it would suck if Guts and Casca’s souls were still condemned to be sent to the equivalent of Hell after they die, even of natural causes/old age).

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Kentaro Miura, manga-ka of Berserk, is dead.
Somehow I knew this would happen, given his health and all. Just so tragic. Berserk was one of my first favorites, and he was an amazing artist and fantasy storyteller. Rest in peace.
This is literally the first time a death outside of my family, pets, and/or close friends/family friends has caused me to sincerely break into boogery sobs. I've never been this impacted by the death of someone I never knew personally before. It's not only devastating, it's new for me. (I've been processing and giving further thoughts on my Twitter, not going to post much more about it here)

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I'd be fine seeing an unfinished compilation volume come out like Hergé's Tintin and Alph-Art https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_and_Alph-Art

Basically compile whatever material he has left (presuming his will allows it) and any notes and extraneous material and release that.

If he was okay with someone else continuing/finishing it like the Guin Saga author was (who died at 56), I can accept that, but if he wasn't I can also accept that. Like Tintin, any endings will have to come from fans then.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'd want them to finish any storyboards he may have left, after that I'm not sure. It's really painful because the story was right on the cusp of entering its final section I believe. I guess we'll just have to see how his studio and the rights holders feel about it. I know nobody could live up to the standard he set though.

Edit: ah fuck, I never bothered to make a SkullKnight.net account myself, but I want to give Walter a hug right now. He must be taking this extremely hard.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I'm taking this news weirdly hard. It's probably depression projecting... but I'm really going to miss Guts a lot. I'm really sad guys, and incredibly tired of struggling :sadpanda:
You’re not alone in that feeling. A lot of fans, myself included, have expressed their own surprise in how much Miura’s passing has affected them, especially since virtually all have never even known Miura personally. I guess it’s a testament to how much his work touched people on a deep level.

Like the processing of Miura's passing has been a surreal feeling, I realized that I had been subconsciously so assured that Miura and the series would be something that I would have around for my entire 30s, and maybe even 40s. It's like a preemptive loss of a constant in life, that had only been a constant for a little more than 7 years for myself personally (I got into the series in early 2014).

Participating in the FFXIV memorial with other players I think helped in the mourning process.

EDIT: Even Naoki Yoshida commented on Miura’s passing

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Because Miura has been around for a lot of Gen-X'ers and Gen-Y'ers lives and BERSERK was ubiquitous to the anime scene.

Like, he is one of the greats. Most people who are into anime, have at least seen, read or heard of BERSERK. And its spotty release and long hiatuses were just accepted as normal. People joked about BERSERK lasting until like, the fans were old folks.

And just. It was one of those definitive stories that really shaped the manga and anime communities. No one could just fathom it ending before... Well, he wrote it. But I was always afraid of this because he was always getting sick or burnt out. And just... It's a hard career especially when you have such a heavy and well-known/well-loved story like this. It's a lot of pressure.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm glad to know I'm not over-drunkenly-sentimentalizing. Berserk was one of those things I put off for a long time, so I didn't really get into it until 2016. It's been at the forefront of my mind ever since then. I came to the story when I was in a general upswing in life, and really strengthened my conviction in hope. The fact that this news has come during a really miserable year is just really dragging me down. I guess it's also made me realize there are few fictional characters I care about the way I care about Guts.

I was honestly very confident that it would be completed as well, so I'm just shocked. I don't want it to be about getting a finished project, I'm just crushed and grief-stricken over someone I don't know personally, and relating via the means he gave us :sadpanda:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It would be an understatement to say that Kentaro Miura's work on BERSERK is a foundational part of why I've written over a quarter of a million words in analysis of Final Fantasy VII up through Remake over the last year in the project I keep mentioning whenever I poke my head in to drop some words in on the forums rather than into this thesis of mine. I don't know if there's any manga that I've spent the sort of time living alongside in someone's perspective reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading to look at the nuances of how he portrays particular details, where he pulls those visual metaphors from, and also the influences he had on the industry and that it had on reinforcing those themes into the absolute masterpiece of the manga that he spent his life creating.

One of my favourite interviews of his is one I found the other day where he talks about planning the story up through about Volume 5 from things he'd come up with throughout college, but that after that, it was largely shaped by his detachment and isolation from the world, and how he acquired news and information from tv while being deeply separated from it all. It's hard to overstate hearing that was like hearing someone describing the perspective that I've been living in over the last year and a half after relocating to a foreign country following the death of my friend who I'd spent nearly every work day of the last 4 years with, and then finding myself under a set of circumstances that left me cut out from the people who were meant to be my support network, and left trying to recoup in the loss and death and disconnection within the midst of a global pandemic where recreating social bonds and contact with other people isn't an option. To add to that: I'm already someone who experienced abuses at a young age and my younger sibling was born with a deformation in his kidney that caused him pain any time he ate until he was old enough for them to perform surgery, which meant that I grew up with a literal Berserker my entire life, so I know exactly what sort of things shape someone to literally go blind and disassociate into a self-protective rage against their own will. So... there has been a lot in his work that's been foundational to how I've managed to cope with all of the loss, trauma, death, abuse, detachment, and isolation of the last 3 years and use it to reexamine the perspectives of all of the things that I've cared about and delve deeper into the messages that they convey in the framework than I'd ever imagined doing, let alone fathomed possible.

Most of Thursday was me in tears sporadically throughout the day, as I had been writing until 7am, and upon forcing myself to finally stop and go to bed, saw that the news had been shared two hours earlier. I still can't talk about it verbally without crying.

I was quite relieved that one of his assistants did mention yesterday that while there are a lot of notes in his manga of Miura's struggling from 1993-2011, that he'd started to take more careful care over both his physical and mental health over the last 15 years, and he'd been regularly exercising and staying in good health. That's also one of those things that's difficult to overstate that that sort of strain it takes a toll that lasts, and we never really know how long we've got.

There is at least the comfort in that while there's a very real possibility that we'll never know the end of BERSERK what he established with his manga is something that is so deeply influential and interconnected into the modern mythology of our storytelling that I don't think that the core of what his work represented will ever fade away.

Which is simultaneously what makes it just that much harder to fathom that he's gone before he completed the work that he envisioned.

X :neo:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
During some rereading I realized I could update an old calendar diagram/table on Berserk's timeline, which I had made back in October 2016 and wrote a 20+ page analysis on , to be more legible and understandable, and since Episodes 360-363 had added further information/confirmation on how much time has passed. For anyone interested in how much time passed in the series.
View attachment Berserk Timeline Table.png

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I had a pretty bizarre fan comic I was working on a few years ago that took place on Berserk's end (it was a crossover thing) during that two year gap. I never finished it or even really started it lol, but I should scan the pages I had.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Year 3 & 4. The comic was specifically going to end on Guts fighting those snow monsters at the beginning of Winter journey, to the it back in with the main series.
That's also when the Sega Dreamcast Berserk video game takes place (but before Farnese and co. join Guts)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_the_Berserk:_Guts'_Rage

Which is interesting since Miura helped make that game before he had even started the Millennium Falcon arc.
http://skullknight.net/releases/

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
That's also when the Sega Dreamcast Berserk video game takes place (but before Farnese and co. join Guts)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_the_Berserk:_Guts'_Rage

Which is interesting since Miura helped make that game before he had even started the Millennium Falcon arc.
http://skullknight.net/releases/
I have the dreamcast game. It's not especially good by modern standards, but it's fun. I was always fascinated by it because of all the odd things about it. It's the very first Berserk anything to get brought into English, so you get quality things like "Zoddo" and "Gattsu" (manual even tries to correct for that by saying "Guts" is a nickname lol) and some very out of character dialogue like Guts calling Casca "My love."

I also find it really interesting that Miura just spoiled a bunch of things for his readers in that game, like Griffith being in the physical world again, building an army of Apostles, and Guts travelling in hopes of curing Casca. It's also the only time I can think of where a game like this is explicitly canon to the manga. It'd be nice if they did a port some time (with new voice acting.)

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
@Theozilla (just tagging you in case the thread is buried before you come online)

Scanned all the pages of the comic I was talking about.

As weird and nonsensical as a crossover between Berserk and a Disney TV cartoon might seem, I had a LOT of ideas for this thing and how it tied into both series in semi-meaningful ways. I have a whole plot synopsis in my head but I don't think I ever wrote it down lol.

Generally not happy with most of the art anymore, but I still like some of the panel composition. I was maybe too fond of big panels though.

Top Bottom