• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Best way to play FFI-FFVI?

Vixenish

Rinoa ACF/FFOF
AKA
Rinoa
In light of the remake coming up I want to play through all the classics and then play the remake. However, when I downloaded FFI to my android it keeps crashing at certain points in the game. That was first frustrating, and then a total cockblock when it started doing it whenever I would start the fight at the castle since you can't advance without beating that boss.

Is it out on something else that would work better? I've got most modern consoles(Meaning from 2000 forward)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
FFs I, II, and IV are best on PSP (IV being "IV Complete Collection")

III your only option is the DS remake which is on PC as well now I guess.

Though V and VI are available on mobile and PC, I personally find those ports hideous, and would recommend the GBA or SNES/PS1 versions.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Final Fantasy Origins will allow you to play I and II and Final Fantasy Anthology will allow you to play V and VI on PS2/3(/4?).

latest

ps1-final_fantasy_anthology_ntsc_1.jpg

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Ive been thinking about finally giving VI its fair day in court (as a teen I was kind of put off by it), but am confuses by the seemingly endless versions. I got the SNES classic a while back and they have the original version on there (as FFIII), but I'm curious as to whether any of the ports added anything truly worthwhile

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
I've got FFI on the iPhone and remember reading that the android version was glitchy as fuck. The iPhone version is actually alright, just annoying for being a small screen.
Glad you asked anyway, I'm doing the same thing slowly.

Also holy shitcocks it's Rinoa, how the devil are you?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Ive been thinking about finally giving VI its fair day in court (as a teen I was kind of put off by it), but am confuses by the seemingly endless versions. I got the SNES classic a while back and they have the original version on there (as FFIII), but I'm curious as to whether any of the ports added anything truly worthwhile

The GBA versions have poor sound quality, but minor extras in the form of extra items, summons, and I can't recall, but I think at least IV and V have extra dungeons.

The GBA version also restores the censored version of Celes's interrogation.

Otherwise there isn't a huge difference.

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9

The GBA versions have poor sound quality, but minor extras in the form of extra items, summons, and I can't recall, but I think at least IV and V have extra dungeons.

It has a totally different (accurate) translation, fixes a ton of the game-breaking bugs, and nearly a dozen extra boss fights. I'd recommend it over the original any day. I also consider Woosley's translation work to be trash, so take that for what it's worth.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Personally I prefer the GBA version of FFV, the translation is much better, the graphics look great, and the bonus jobs/dungeons make up for the less-than-ideal sound for me.

For FFVI I like Woolsey's translation, so I'm more inclined to go with the PS1 version.

Reactions: Ite

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Okay, so I'm glad I posted in this thread, because now some of the differences that are SPECIFIC to each version and what they offer...but now I'm stuck between the PS1 and GBA version lol. It certainly would be easier to get the GBA version going on my comp (I always had a problem burning ISOs and whatnot, so I only ever used PSXe with games I already had the physical disc for), and from the sound of it I would need a mod for the sound effects/music. I remember thinking the FMVs were pretty neat when I played a friend's "Anthology" copy back when it was released, but I imagine they are few and far between, so it sounds like t he GBA version (with appropriate mods) has the most to offer overall.

But, to be clear on this:
There are 3 DIFFERENT dialogue translations, original, PS1, and GBA?? Or the PS1 still uses the original translation, where the GBA one was the first to update/alternate? I never even heard anything about this censorship issue, either. I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I am the typea dude who is BIG on the first experience being the "right" one (I.E. "Which record do I start with?" when getting into a band etc)

Vixenish

Rinoa ACF/FFOF
AKA
Rinoa

Is it images being censored, or parts of the conversation?

Really what I'm asking, as someone who has never played that particular part of the series, is whether or not one of the versions includes tits. Because like, clear winner, probably.

Vixenish

Rinoa ACF/FFOF
AKA
Rinoa
I've got FFI on the iPhone and remember reading that the android version was glitchy as fuck. The iPhone version is actually alright, just annoying for being a small screen.
Glad you asked anyway, I'm doing the same thing slowly.

Also holy shitcocks it's Rinoa, how the devil are you?

Glad I'm not the only one! Figured I wouldn't be, and that you lot would have opinions and research so I could be lazy!

I'm doing alright. Going on 4 years with my current company, married since the last time I posted here, bought a house a couple years ago, and now we're just working on fixing it up. LOTS of yardwork right now.

How are you doing? Any big news?

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
There are 3 DIFFERENT dialogue translations, original, PS1, and GBA?? Or the PS1 still uses the original translation, where the GBA one was the first to update/alternate? I never even heard anything about this censorship issue, either. I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I am the typea dude who is BIG on the first experience being the "right" one (I.E. "Which record do I start with?" when getting into a band etc)
The PS translation is almost identical to SNES. They fixed two things but still mostly Woolsey's original script.

As far as censorship goes:
-SNES version censored skin on sprites, and also removed smoke from enemy sprites. Not used it but there's a patch for this stuff.
-PS version uses all original uncensored sprites
-GBA version censored a li'l bit o' skin on a couple sprites, and also censored the aforementioned interrogation scene. Again, this patch reverted the GBA screen colour compenstation changes and also uncensored those sprites, this patch just uncensors those two aforementioned sprites, and this patch supposedly restored the aforementioned scene -- not used any of these patches and don't know about compatibility or anything

The censorship on sprites is no big deal. But if you are going to regret not being able to see bare pixel ass when you use that summon that you actually probably won't ever use (I didn't even find out how to use summons until after I completed the game!), then you'll want to play PS1 or patch another version.

I've never compared scripts, but I imagine the GBA will be better. Both for being a good English script, but also SNES/PS script is more likely to have been changed because of old Nintendo of America's policies (like their block on religious referencing, which lead Holy to be renamed to Pearl).

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Is it images being censored, or parts of the conversation?

Really what I'm asking, as someone who has never played that particular part of the series, is whether or not one of the versions includes tits. Because like, clear winner, probably.

tits are not on the table (that's a weird image), I think the original version just omitted the scene entirely. It just involves her getting punched while chained up.

Now...there are some almost-tits in the boss fight with the goddess at the end of the game. A version I'm playing now has me excited. It has basically Woolsey's translation, but it's cleaned up over spots that are obvious errors rather than flavor text. You don't have monstrosities like "FENIX DOWN" like in the SNES, and all the scenes and dialogue are uncensored.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
The PS translation is almost identical to SNES. They fixed two things but still mostly Woolsey's original script.

As far as censorship goes:
-SNES version censored skin on sprites, and also removed smoke from enemy sprites. Not used it but there's a patch for this stuff.
-PS version uses all original uncensored sprites
-GBA version censored a li'l bit o' skin on a couple sprites, and also censored the aforementioned interrogation scene. Again, this patch reverted the GBA screen colour compenstation changes and also uncensored those sprites, this patch just uncensors those two aforementioned sprites, and this patch supposedly restored the aforementioned scene -- not used any of these patches and don't know about compatibility or anything

The censorship on sprites is no big deal. But if you are going to regret not being able to see bare pixel ass when you use that summon that you actually probably won't ever use (I didn't even find out how to use summons until after I completed the game!), then you'll want to play PS1 or patch another version.

I've never compared scripts, but I imagine the GBA will be better. Both for being a good English script, but also SNES/PS script is more likely to have been changed because of old Nintendo of America's policies (like their block on religious referencing, which lead Holy to be renamed to Pearl).

Speaking of mods, I have to give props to http://www.jeffludwig.com/, which has two fascinating mods, one for Final Fantasy I and for Final Fantasy V.

The FF1 had a few different versions. The earlier ones redistributes spells to different classes, and generally makes the game both more fair, and also a bit more challenging by throwing in some new spell/abilities.

The FFV one is a major change because it makes it so NO skill is a default requirement, so you can really get the most out of your mix-and-matching on jobs. It also somewhat rearranges which jobs you get from which crystal. If I'm ever going to finish a version of V, it's gonna be this modded version. I love having a white mage that can also summon AND use barehanded, since I can just omit having to use an item ability on them. Likewise I can take attack off a job like Black Mage where it'd be useless, and replace it with the Dance skill.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I would seriously love it if someone made an FFV mod based on the same graphics PSP FFIV After Years had.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
FF1 = I'd get the GBA version. It is the easiest to get working anywhere, and includes FFII to boot.

FF2 = See above.

FF3 = Get the Steam Version for PC. THE COLORS

FF4 = I have no problem with the DS/Identical Steam Version except that it is hooooooordKOOOOOOR difficult. FF4 Complete Collection would probably be more palatable, but if you're using 'alternative methods' to get the games running on your computer, I gotta warn ya that the PSP game can be touchy in that regard.

FF5 = GBA version. Nobody wants to play Final Fantasy Anthology. NOBODY.

FF6 = I am gonna again rec the GBA version. The PC version has some nice gameplay features added in, but it's kind of ugly and clunky to control on the overworld. Neither's music operates correctly, though, just so you know. You would almost do better to stick with the SNES Classic Version if you like music... specifically, there are moments when the audio is supposed to fade out, where it...how can I put this...doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Ite

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
The FF games I had the most fun on were on PSP, but if that's not possible, shoot for Steam or Vita.

And while GBA has a nice emulator... the PSP versions of FF1 and FF2 (FF Origins enhanced basically) are superior.

Volvatta

Sincerity-Genuinity & Comedy
AKA
Crazy-Sane
I would seriously love it if someone made an FFV mod based on the same graphics PSP FFIV After Years had.
They should've done FFI through FFVI on PSP. That's the rout i was expecting when I II and IV came out. I thought i just missed III somewhere and that I'd see it eventually when IV came out. Sad...

Top Bottom