Beyond Midgar

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
the cat room in Wutai:

0032-Wutai-Cat-Room.png

I want a room full of cats to pet after I've done chasing Yuffie. Well, I don't care if they get rid of the chase but I want to pet some cats.

I second this - I want a cut scene where Cloud is mobbed by affectionate cats rubbing against his legs and jumping on his shoulder and the option to come and pet every cat.

Interactive cat room- mini game involving petting kitties!

Starling

Pro Adventurer
If they make the cats affectionate and petable I'm probably going to spend hours in Wutai. It'll be like talking to all the cats in LoZ Twilight Princess.

Ghost X

Forgotten Capital, Northern Cave, the Cosmo Canyon dungeon, the Gaea's cliff dungeon, Nibelheim mountains and caves, inside Cloud's brain, etc. The more fanciful elements basically.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare

I'd love to see all the Northern Crater locales in HD. I always wondered about that skeleton and those giant eggs... what were they?

Also, all the tropical locations would be fun, like Mideel and Costa del Sol. I hope we get to find the Banora ruins too.
I'm also interested in seeing the snowy places, the Cetra locations, Cosmo Canyon, and Junon.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I hadn't even thought about that. :closedmonster:

Yeah...I wonder if that will just be one long-ass cutscene or what? I mean, it already is, just with little snippets of meaningless playability of walking Tifa to the next Cloud. Obviously I want to them to resist turning playable things into cutscenes as much as possible, but the "gameplay" there doesn't really add anything.

It would be a cutscene worthy of Xenosaga though, haha.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
Maybe they could split it up, like an a-story and a b-story. Three large materia to get with Cid & crew, three areas of cloud's brain to visit. They could easily just alternate between them, and take the edge off all the backstory being crammed down our throats by allowing us take breaks wherein we stop a train, go to space, or do other actually interesting things. :lol:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
The lifestream sequence isn't that long, in my opinion. They'd also have to switch up the order you do things if they were to alternate between the lifestream sequence and getting the huge materia. Tifa's presumably only in Cloud's mind for about an hour at most.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The life stream sequence is also one of my favorite moments, I certainly enjoyed it more than repeating the Fort Condor minigame or wondering whether I should intentionally fail the North Corel fetch quest to add drama to Barrett's Act III arc.

Novus

Pro Adventurer
The great glacier should be beyond epic. It felt huge in the original game but now they can actually allow you to get lost in it.
The whirlwind maze was my favorite section so it will be cool to see what they do with that.

TFC is obvious and has already been said. But the dungeon after
Aerith's death
https://youtu.be/fLPYYeN0xqo?t=1m19s should be included.

Which also reminds me that this cave needs to be accessible this time:
CorelValley-ForestExit.png

Even though I was satisfied before with Shademp's explanation that it was originally the exit for Ancient Forest, it's received a life of its own.

With all this said, I highly doubt this will be a shot by shot remake of the game.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
With all this said, I highly doubt this will be a shot by shot remake of the game.

As much as I sympathize with everyone fantasizing about it, this hasn't been said enough. It seems like people are imagining (down to specific trees, rocks, flashes of light etc) an HD modern version of those old school pre-rendered locales we know and love. It's more likely to be a total reimagining of the TYPES of locales...Icicle Inn will be a snowy town, Costa Del Sol will be a beachy resort town, Junon will be....how do you describe Upper Junon? a Port City?? This is, of course, with a few exceptions for the really distinctive and iconic buildings and whatnot...like 7th heaven, the Shinra Building, etc

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
Interactive cat room- mini game involving petting kitties!
:reptar:

As much as I sympathize with everyone fantasizing about it, this hasn't been said enough. It seems like people are imagining (down to specific trees, rocks, flashes of light etc) an HD modern version of those old school pre-rendered locales we know and love.
That's exactly what I don't expect from them. They have already shown us a Midgar which differs a lot from the version we knew; some reimagining is on the way for sure.
That being said, I don't see them throwing away things like Mako fountains in Mt Nibel or stairs made of seashells in the Forgotten Capital.

And I'm still looking forward for a mini game involving petting kitties. :awesome:

Last edited:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Considering the mako fountain is acknowledged in a scene and interacted with to retrieve a materia, they're kinda obligated to include it. Even if they change a fair bit of the way some things look, they're still keeping the original in mind. For example, the view of the slums as Cloud and Barret walk by seems visually similar to what's been shown before, in terms of buildings made of scrap, though they make it look darker, more cluttered and you can better feel how run down the place is.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
The differences in the slums seemed to serve to better capture the spirit of how it was supposed to look to begin with. I always got the impression the lighting in the OG's depiction of the slums was brighter than we were meant to interpret it as, though making it dimmer wouldn't have been as good, for the sake of being able to see where you're going with graphics that made some places a bit ambiguous in terms of how you were supposed to get from one place to another. They seem to know what kind of changes to make to better reflect what was being shown in the OG so the changes will likely be for the better.

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
The great glacier should be beyond epic. It felt huge in the original game but now they can actually allow you to get lost in it.
The whirlwind maze was my favorite section so it will be cool to see what they do with that.

TFC is obvious and has already been said. But the dungeon after
Aerith's death
https://youtu.be/fLPYYeN0xqo?t=1m19s should be included.

Which also reminds me that this cave needs to be accessible this time:
CorelValley-ForestExit.png

Even though I was satisfied before with Shademp's explanation that it was originally the exit for Ancient Forest, it's received a life of its own.

I like how ethereal most of the locales and set pieces are, some of the props are just otherworldly. Like some strange glowing fish I saw in the Capital at one point or the odd messed up look of the area where Aeris died, you really feel like you shouldn't be here, there or anywhere within that long lost city.

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
I'm interested to see (if they include it) the trip into space with Cid. Think that could be cool if they do it right.

Like someone said, though - I expect they'll change/alter a lot of things that will render a lot of the wishes on this thread moot. Just hope they stick to the original as much as possible while still offering a unique and new experience.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
This is an impossible question for me as I am looking forward to seeing everything again with great enthusiasm.

So I'll choose a location I'd most like to see improved upon in the remake.

The Corel Desert Prison

In particular the desert surrounding it. I've always been a fan of huge deserts in RPGs, and would like the Corel Prison Desert to rival Breath of Fire III's desert labyrinth. Of course the gameplay mechanic could be improved greatly. You should be encouraged to travel by night. If you travel during the hot day, your HP quickly drains and powerful gigantic Earth worms are on the prowl.

And of course we should be able to revisit the location

Smaddy

Green Mage
I'm interested to see (if they include it) the trip into space with Cid. Think that could be cool if they do it right.

I think they'll include this. Think about it: it's a huge key point in Cid's character development, as well as the fact that Shinra is trying to do something about Meteor. Those two loose facts alone seem to justify that it'd stay.

I hope they remember the lack of gravity in space when they redo this part, though. Hehe.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I would concur with ya'lls idea that in the OG, the slums (as well as some other places) had a sort of a "fill in the blanks yourself with how this is supposed to fully look" aspect to them, that in this case we might see fully realized. Although as far as the brightness, in certain areas of the slums anyway, I always thought it was supposed to be like massive harsh industrial lighting from above, like being constantly under giant shitty office fluorescent lights since otherwise they'd be in pitch darkness. Gnarly

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
I think it will be interesting to see how they handle the "roller coaster" track that you have to traverse before finding those baby chicks with the treasure. Wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make the cut. It doesn't make much sense tbf. Unless its supposed to be a rail way track?

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
I think it will be interesting to see how they handle the "roller coaster" track that you have to traverse before finding those baby chicks with the treasure. Wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make the cut. It doesn't make much sense tbf. Unless its supposed to be a rail way track?

It's a mining track to transport coal in Corel. Would like to see them keep that in there.

Top Bottom