DCFFVII Research Thread

The command center (essentially Reeve's office) on the 6th floor of the WRO HQ is only ever observed in cutscenes and can't be explored in gameplay. I have only managed to enter by removing wall collision. As a result I have not explored the room with the intended ground collision, assuming it even has one. I am also only able to explore the z134 version of this office, since I can't load the damaged version of the office in z150.

reeve-office_command-center.png

The monitors have some juicy textures.

command-center_texture-collage.png

The upper right texture is easily recognized to hold concept art for the WRO HQ lobby.
DC_Complete_312_crop.jpg

The top left texture also looks like it could be concept art for WRO but I can't tell for sure. The 3D grids very much look like meshes for the headquarters itself. I wonder if these were taken straight from the 3D modelling tools for the area.

The other surprise is that zooming in on the text overlayed on some of these monitor textures reveal code for shaders.

shading-strings.png

More text can be deciphered but you get the point. Some text is easier to read when the texture is extracted, other parts are actually easier to see when zooming in on the monitors in-game.

"Lambert" is a term that often comes up in the context of shaders in computer graphics. It's a common model used for diffuse reflection and the term lambert is even mentioned in the Unity manual.
Unity documentation said:
Here’s a Shader that sets the surface color to “white”. It uses the built-in Lambert (diffuse) lighting model.
Indeed, when I investigated the test/debug rooms for the PS2 game Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, I found rooms with a texture reading "lambert" pasted here and there.
room13_a.png
Now we have all filled our quota for reading the term "lambert" enough times in one day. :lol:

Destructible glass/window tiles grant EXP when destroyed (original observation made in Dec 2019). The intention is that you gain 1 EXP per destroyed tile, though when using the handgun (which fires three bullets per shot) the EXP-gain event can happen up to three times, for a maximum of 3 EXP gained. This type of glitched multi-EXP-gain event does not seem possible for when defeating enemies. Here are some additional facts about destroying glass windows in Dirge.

- When using the handgun/Cerberus on glass and gaining 2 or 3 EXP from it you can actually pause the game inbetween the EXP increments. This shows the event to not be a sub-frame affair. Doing this also reveals that even when the glass has started to break, there can still be EXP-gain events left to occur.

dcff7-EXP-gain-event-glass-break.png

- Sharp angles can help with reaching the maximum EXP gain of 3, though firing from a long distance helps the most. Same observation as two years ago. This time however I used cheats to increase the number of bullets fired per shot. Even shooting 99 bullets/shot, close-range shots would usually not grant more than 4 EXP. Increasing the distance between the window and the point of firing led to upwards of 20 EXP gain. Higher might be possible if you can fire from an even greater range.

Handgun bullets travel at 400 m/s. When lowering the speed to 40 m/s or lower, shooting a far-away window (while still using 99 bullets/shot) maximized the EXP gain to 64. Increasing the bullet speed to 4000 m/s lowered the EXP gain back to 4.

Increasing the bullets/shot and changing the bullet speed is of course not something you can play around with when playing the game normally. Amazing to see though that lowering the bullet speed means the EXP-gain event can happen up to 64 times!
projectile-speeds.png

As a side-note, the variable that determines how many bullets you fire per shot is a signed 1-byte integer. What this means is that the upper limit of bullets/shot is 127. Values from 128-255 will be treated as negative values and no bullets will be fired under this condition.

- The float literal of 1.0 (represented as the hex value 0x3F800000) is retrieved from instruction space when destroying a glass tile and this is what determines the intended gain of 1 EXP. After destroying a glass tile this function is easily accessible in the instruction memory. Changing this value will affect how much EXP all glass windows in any part of the game grants you.
glass-tile-EXP_float-literal.png

I am astonished that changing this single value is NOT reset by changing the chapter etc. Usually, values in instruction space are volatile and temporary. But this function is called when you destroy your first window and then it is reliably accessed every subsequent time you destroy a window.

- The EXP-boosting trait of the Lucky S Barrel has no effect when destroying glass. This is true even if you change the aforementioned float literal to grant more than 1 EXP. Meaning, the glass-destruction event does not follow the same logic as when defeating enemies.

You can partially see this by standing on top of a barrel near the stairs: The Dragonfly who flies overhead at the start of Ch1-2 (this is right after Vincent says "Now where am I supposed to meet Reeve?") simply phases through Kalm's protective wall. No need for explosives or anything. :wacky:

dragonfly-phasing-through.png

The Dragonfly will complete its arc and actually park itself in the area with the containers. It remains there until you trigger the cutscene where the Dragonfly carries away a container.
dragonfly-parked-n-cutscene.png

If you skip the cutscene then you can still proceed through the game without problems, the only difference being that the Dragonfly will hover in place and do essentially nothing.

ch1-2_chopper-cutscene-trigger.png

The Dragonfly parked here is the same one that shortly afterwards will shoot at a group of Kalm residents. Once this event is activated the Dragonfly will no longer be in the area with the containers even if you skipped the aforementioned cutscene.

The benefit of keeping the chopper present is that it can be farmed for EXP. This can be done with great efficiency if you are replaying Ex Hard and already have the Manasoul + Lucky S Barrel.

W1: Ultima Weapon + Lucky S Barrel + Materia Floater Gamma + Manasoul + Thunder Materia​
W2: Sonic Griffon + Lucky S Barrel + Materia Floater Gamma + Manasoul + Thunder Materia​
W3: Bayonet Rifle + Lucky S Barrel + Manasoul + Power Cross Gamma​

You need 52670 EXP to reach Level 50. If you actively use Thunder and melee attacks then it will take you about 30-35 minutes of grinding to get enough EXP to reach max level.

exp-for-max-level.png

Your options are limited if you are playing on Normal mode and want to grind for EXP here. You have neither Thunder magic nor anything to boost the strength of your melee attack other than your standard killchain. Double-jumping and doing a 6-strike midair melee combo will net you 18-19 EXP with the Normal mode conditions.

The standard EXP farming method in Normal mode would be to use the infinitely spawning DG soldiers in Ch1-5 (this is right after you meet Reeve / Cait Sith). The Dragonfly method is slightly more efficient and also has the benefit of Vincent not taking any damage and not spending any bullets. The downside is that mashing the melee button over and over becomes quite exhausting. Using a turbo controller is much preferred.

Last edited:
Found a switch to change the default saving method to HDD instead of memory card. Functionally useless but it's cool to see the text unlocked.

The variable is a 4-byte integer.
Value 0 = HDD saving is the default.​
Value !0 (not zero) = Memory card saving is the default. The value is 1 by default.​

The address is checked when exiting the boot-up FMV (staff credits) and when exiting gameplay.
Address in JP original: 204CAD90
Address in North American version: 2046A2A4

When the game is in this state you can no longer access the checkpoint menu or indeed any of your saved progress that exists on your memory card. These experiments do not erase any content from your memory card.

save-to-bb-unit_dcff7-jp.png

PlayStation BB Unitに​
セーブデータを作成します。​
よろしいですか?​
Auto-translate:
Create save data on PlayStation BB Unit.​
Are you sure?​

(If you select CANCEL)
このまま開始した場合、​
データをセーブすることができませんが、​
よろしいですか?​
Auto-translate:
If you start this way, you will not be able to save the data, is that okay?​

PlayStation BB Unitに​
セーブデータを作成しています。​
PlayStation BB Unitをはずしたり、​
本体の電源を切ったりしないでください。​
Auto-translate:
Save data is being created in the PlayStation BB Unit.​
Do not remove the PlayStation BB Unit or turn off the unit.​

There is currently no means to emulate a BB Unit (HDD with Broadband Navigator installed) on PCSX2. This also means that you can't install the PlayOnline viewer on PCSX2.

The game is softlocked when I initiate the save process to the BB Unit. As expected, the save icon on the upper right does indeed represent the HDD.

save-to-HDD_NA-as-JP.png

If the NA game is still set to game version value 1 (itself), instead of value 0 (JP Original), the memory card icon will display in the upper right instead of the HDD icon. The text message explaining the memory card icon will also pop up in this setting.

save-to-HDD_NA-as-itself.png

I used the MegaDev9 plugin to create a virtual HDD but the game was still softlocked when initiating a save to the HDD. This was true for both the JP original and NA game. It's possible that even more comprehensive testing, such as dumping the HDD from a real PS2 and using that for PCSX2, would still reveal that the North American version is programmed to look for a BB Unit.

※DVD-ROM起動で「Single Player」を選択する場合は「"PlayStation 2"専用メモリーカード(8MB)」でセーブ・ロードを行います。​
※PlayOnline起動の場合、初回にデータのセーブ先を、「"PlayStation 2"専用メモリーカード(8MB)」もしくは「"PlayStation BB Unit"」に選択し、セーブ・ロードを行います。​
※「Multiplayer」では、キャラクターなどのデータはサーバー上に自動でセーブされます一部の環境設定等は、「"PlayStation 2"専用メモリーカード(8MB)」もしくは、「"PlayStation BB Unit"」に保存されます。(初回起動時の選択で決まります)​
※詳しくは本ゲーム解説書をご覧ください​

Auto-translate:
* When "Single Player" is selected for DVD-ROM startup, save and load will be performed using a "PlayStation 2" memory card (8MB).​
* When starting PlayOnline for the first time, select "PlayStation 2" memory card (8MB) or "PlayStation BB Unit" as the save destination to save and load data.​
* In "Multiplayer" mode, character- and other data will be automatically saved on the server, and some preferences will be saved to the "PlayStation 2" memory card (8MB) or "PlayStation BB Unit". Some preferences will be saved in the "PlayStation 2" memory card (8MB) or "PlayStation BB Unit". (Determined by the selection at the first startup)​
* For more details, please refer to this game manual.​

EDIT: Page 8 of the JP manual gives further clarification. My takeaway from this is that you can only install Dirge of Cerberus on your BB Unit / HDD by signing up to the multiplayer, which of course is no longer possible.
PlayStation BB Unitに「ダージュ オブ ケルベロス -ファイナルファンタジーVII-」​
のインストールをおこない、プレイオンラインビューアーから「ダージュ オブ ケルベロス​
-ファイナルファンタジーVII-」を起動した場合、初回起動時にセーブデータの保存先​
を"PlayStation 2"専用メモリーカード(8MB)にするか、"PlayStation BB Unit"にす​
るかを選択します。"PlayStation 2"専用メモリーカード(8MB)を選択した場合は、空​
き容量が678KB以上ある"PlayStation 2"専用メモリーカード(8MB)をMEMORY​
CARD差込口1に差してからゲームを始めてください。​

Auto-translate:
If you install "Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII-" on the PlayStation BB Unit and start "Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII-" from the PlayOnline Viewer the first time, you will be asked to choose whether you want to save the saved data to a dedicated PlayStation 2 memory card (8MB) or to the PlayStation BB Unit. If you select the "PlayStation 2" dedicated memory card (8MB), insert the "PlayStation 2" dedicated memory card (8MB) with 678KB or more of free space into the MEMORY CARD slot 1 before starting the game.​

Last edited:
Came upon a switch that make boxes manifest. These encompass various light effects and particle animations. I've observed the boxes in the colors gold/yellow, red, green and blue. The general rule is that a box is yellow when it is close and red when further away. Observations of the green- and blue boxes have been inconsistent.

Switch Address - Game Version
- JP Original
204ED130 - NA
204EE970 - PAL
204EEB70 - INT

Adjacent in memory is also a switch to turn off all light- and particle effects.

gsdx_20220303101958.png

gsdx_20220303131242.png

Boxes manifest on the ground behind Vincent as he kicks up dirt in Ch2. Same thing will happen when Vincent kicks up water in Ch3 (Edge).

gsdx_20220303101305.png

gsdx_20220303162824.png

The dream is to find switches that visualize hitboxes, collision grids, event triggers etc.

Every F'n FF is a bookclub podcast where three people talk in-depth about their playthrough of the current Final Fantasy game of choice. They are now covering Dirge of Cerberus and I am enjoying the journey. Even if you've heard most of the common takes of this game, Every F'n FF provides some unique perspectives and many wonderfully comedic moments. Highly recommend!

FKihgq8XwAA1WaQ_small.png

- Every F'n FF official Twitter account

I am thankful to Curtis, Karl and Alex for allowing me to share my deep knowledge of this game while they experience the glorious jankiness that is DCFFVII.

While watching Curtis play Ch8-1 in preparation for a podcast episode he actually ended up teaching me something new!

Context
Two WRO members are facing off against two standard DG soldiers and one Heavy Armored Soldier B. If you get too close, you'll end up touching an event trigger that causes an explosion that instantly kills your two allies. Thankfully, this explosion trigger can be deactivated. In the past I assumed that all three DG foes had to be defeated in order to prevent the explosion, but actually you only need to defeat the Heavy Armored Soldier B!

gsdx_20220315223414.png

gsdx_20220315223403.png

Environment: Off
gsdx_20220315223511.png

gsdx_20220315223707.png

This is why it's beneficial to watch first playthroughs: Chances are higher that the player will do something unconventional and end up showing you a scenario you've never observed before.

I am really happy to know this nuance about the explosion trigger being linked to only one specific enemy. The designer intent must be that a missile/rocket from the HASB hits the rusty cans/barrels, which is what causes the explosion. The explosive event is instantaneous however so you don't actually see a rocket in conjunction with the event.

Last edited:
If the player character is inside an environment while in a "climb ladder" state, they can climb downwards indefinitely or until they find valid collision. The game has a natural example of this in the warehouse map, Extra Mission #32 "Deepground Soldiers". I demonstrated this bug in an exploration video many years ago. If you try to climb upwards you will disembark and be in a grounded state but you'll be stuck in place. Selecting "Release" mid-climb will simply result in the player floating- and being stuck in the spot.

Today I asked myself the following question: If Vincent could enter a glitched ladder-climbing state with any ladder, and thus climb downwards indefinitely, could one of these lead to a speedrunning shortcut? The answer, sadly, is no. After using Cheat Engine to make Vincent start the ladder climb while inside the environment I confirmed that no downwards climb intersected with any cutscene trigger or useful collision.

gsdx_20220323133030.png

gsdx_20220323133849.png

gsdx_20220323140539.png

Even if a neat intersection had been found there would have been no way to make use of it, due to cheats being involved in the first place.

The way I activated the glitched climbing state was to stand at the bottom of a ladder, change Vincent's Z-coordinates so he was roughly knee-deep inside the ground, then start climbing. For most ladders, this was enough to make the game consider Vincent to be inside the environment and able to climb downwards to infinity.

One fun observation came out of this though. Two ladders in Ch10-1 (Shinra's Dark Secret) led to valid ground collision. This allowed me to roam a part of the area that neither Vincent- nor the enemies ever walk around in. This general region is the place with the "thief" DG Sergeant who can take a bunch of item cases unless you kill him first.

gsdx_20220323200036.png

gsdx_20220323200236.png
Disembarking here is the end of the road. There is no way to climb back up or jump onto the adjacent platforms that make up the natural path through this area.

The collision is "unfinished", with Vincent walking up and down slopes where there should in fact be sharp ledges. Vincent will also jump straight through the stairs above him. Hopefully one day we'll have the tools to confirm the collision data of every environment.

Last edited:
Today I learned.

I knew from past experience that Vincent's roll in the JP original can dodge the Aerial Mines in Ch8-2 (Fight for the Central Complex). But I checked just now and you can do the dodge even with Vincent's dash in the post-original versions.

Both the roll and the dash work the same in terms of method: You have to begin the roll/dash when standing pretty close (but not super close) to the Aerial Mine, and when you have a good length of distance to carry the roll/dash away from the Aerial Mine. The method is precise but I say you have a 50/50 chance of pulling it off when you're in a desperate situation.

evading-aerial-mine_short.gif

The secret offices in Ch9, An Empire in Ruins, have multiple screens with interesting content on them. This is one of them.
gsdx_20220325211548.png

The FFVII fan will recognize the 3D Midgar map in the background as it's the same one from the beginning of the original game.

rootmap_midgar-wiremesh.png

Some of the text in the Dirge of Cerberus snapshot can be easily read, some of it not. Even when extracting the texture, thus getting rid of the screen-flicker effect that is present in-game, some of the text is hazy. Inverting the image colors and adjusting the contrast and brightness does help a bit.

laboratory-room_adjustments.png

My current transcription:

Laboratory Room
Solar Energy
Ace Shuttle
Elfire Facility
&
Keel Shaft
Energy Control
Yarddird room
Terminal Lobby
Orbiting system

Ace Shuttle is probably an obfuscation of "Space Shuttle".
Elfire Facility is a nonsense term, but Elfire is a recurring fire tome in the Fire Emblem series.
Google Keel Shaft and you'll find actual tools with this name.

Yarddird room could be an obfuscation of- and play on "Yardbird Suite", a jazz composition by Charlie Parker whose nickname was also Yardbird. While googling for Yarddird, I actually found it as a misspelling of "Yardbird" in a Japanese blog. Whether the misspelling in our DCFFVII example is intentional, well, that is anyone's guess.

This connection to jazz honestly made me initially see a connection to blues in "Ace Shuttle". What if it stood for "Ace Shuffle", referring to the blues band The Aces and the blues shuffle beats style? Take this speculation with a huge grain of salt. I maintain that the literal text is "Ace Shuttle", as there should be different artefacts in the image if the text was "Ace Shuffle".

Truly, the seeming reference to Yardbird Suite did activate my conspiratorial mindset. What if "Keel Shaft" is in fact a reference to the movie "Shaft and the Killing", which employs a soul funk jazz soundtrack? That would jive with the music references. But most likely it is just referencing the physical tool and nothing else.

Feel free to share your thoughts/interpretations of the lines of text in this DCFFVII image.

AF2A0508.png

The remainder of the artwork screens in the Ch9 offices.
ch9_train-carts.png

This is CG artwork from the original FFVII.

FFVII_Locomotive_3.jpg
ch9_map_throne.png

The world map is the same one used in the WRO HQ except it's been downsized and squished. We see it in Reeve's office in the main game and in the lobby of the multiplayer/Extra-Mission version of the WRO building.

The artwork to the right is Weiss's throne seen from the side and front with the dome of light present.

weiss-throne_artwork.png

This dome of light around the throne is never clearly seen in the main game. Weiss might be sitting inside the activated dome during his speech/transmission in Ch2 but it's unclear. During the online mode cutscenes we see it activated only in a transparent state. To observe the dome in its fully lit form one must look to actual gameplay recordings and snapshots from the multiplayer.

Knowing now what this artwork in the Ch9 office actually is, the text string "VICE" in the upper right becomes obvious. "VICE" is a common way that Weiss's name gets spelled in Japanese sources.

Zoom-in on texture:
69D26F32_zoom-in.png

Guessing the rest of the text is way harder.

I see either B7 or 27 below VICE.
PIPE-N to the lower right.
003-A to the lower left.
Below that I clearly see some letters but I can't make out actual words. Kaker Kik? Caber Bib? Might be a misspelling of "Cable".

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
That's a clever trick. Concept art is an existing asset, but it would actually make a good amount of sense for DG scientists to have DG designs or a world map on their wall.

Watched the first two episodes of that podcast. Entertaining enough, a weird mix of very detailed research and not knowing the basics. Entertainingly, they say they don't think any of their listeners will start with Dirge.

Always nice to see Shad get due respect.

Tsviet - Russian word for color [цвет]
Weiss - German for White
Nero - Italian for Black
Rosso - Italian for Red
Azul - Spanish for Blue
Argento - Italian for Silver

Now what about Shelke?

Screenshot_155_daijinn-blog.jpg

The long-standing claim over the years has been that Shelke is Urdu for "Orange", matching the orange glow of her eyes and her sabres/sabers. Upon closer inspection, I can't find an Urdu word for "orange" that sounds anything like Shelke's name. The Urdu word for red [سرخ] comes close, being pronounced "Surkh".

The main problem here is that neither color matches Shelke's epithet as "the Transparent". It breaks the pattern with the Tsviet names.

The closest match I can find is the Finnish word "selkeä" meaning "clear", which is a synonym for transparent. This guess feels right to me, as it also keeps the theme of European-inspired names consistent. I do not know of any developer interviews that confirm the languages behind the Tsviet names.

A mild coincidence I spotted is that "sheer" is also a synonym for transparent/clear, which is not far off from how the first part of Shelke's name is pronounced in Japanese.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The real answer is Shelke shouldn't have been a Tsviet in the first place. She's just a glorified nerd :monster:

Being a Tsviet is for grown ups!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I always figured her name wasn't themed because unlike the rest of them she wasn't born in DG, but I just remembered that Azul wasn't either. I think your guess seems correct.

Also, I just realized I never did a DEW picture for Argento lol. Will accept usable screenshots.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I've always found it ridiculous that they used a Russian word with a very unfortunate combination of sounds. The "v" is a soft consonant as it comes before the "e", but most English/American and European speakers just can't get soft consonants right, which results in adding the "i". A lose-lose situation either way! But maybe it adds an extra flavour of weirdness to the already-weird-enough organisation :mon:

Looking at the raw text for the Sound Gallery (under Extra Features) reveals that six tracks from the online mode were planned to be included here. While these tracks are on the game disc, there is no way to unlock them in-game. I do not know if their spots in the Sound Gallery menu had been decided.

Song of the Gathered
Song of the Gathered : BGM used in the online Lobby.​
Fierce Battle
Fierce Battle : Online battle music.​
Memory Fragment
Memory Fragment : BGM played during HDD installation.​
Underground Complex
Underground Complex : BGM played after an online mission.​
Final Briefing
Final Briefing : BGM played before an online mission.​
Time Limit
Time Limit : BGM played when an online mission becomes heated.​

ロビー2​
ロビーのBGM​
オンラインチーム​
オンラインバトル曲​
インストール​
ゲームのインストール及びルクレツィアが​
ロビー1​
ミッションン終了後の休息​
ブリーフィング​
出撃準備のBGM​
ハリーアップ​
ミッションが緊迫してきた時のBGM​

Auto-translation:
Lobby 2
Lobby BGM​
Online Teams
Online battle songs​
Installation
Game Installation and Lucrecia​
Lobby 1
Rest after the mission​
Briefing BGM
Preparing for sortie​
Hurry up
BGM when the mission is tense​

The other piece of unused text from the Extra Features is in the Extra Missions list. These two JP text entries exist in both the English and Japanese game.

このミッションは、まだ起動できません。​
このミッションは、起動できますがモニターできるレベルではありません。このまま開始しますか?​

Auto-translation:
This mission cannot be activated yet.​
This mission can be activated but is not at a level that can be monitored. Would you like to continue?​

May need a translator's feedback on this one. It sort of sounds like a debugging message for the developer.

To my surprise, shooting down glass tiles in the original Japanese version does NOT grant you any EXP! That's good complementary info to my previous post about glass tiles and EXP. How weird that this EXP gain is a quirk of the post-original versions. I would very much like to know the story behind that one.

I spotted this in conjunction with noticing that destroying drum cans in Kalm can also lead to windows/glass being destroyed due to splinters flying off from the drum cans. When the glass is destroyed via this second-hand method no EXP is granted to the player in any version.

Another quirk of the original JP version is that the shoulder buttons have functionality in the shop. These buttons are the same regardless of your settings and they specifically have use when buying items that present an "X amount of item" number scroller.
R1 - Confirms the amount that you want to buy/sell​
L2 - Highest possible number of an item to buy/sell (same function as pressing the Left directional button)​
L1/R2 - Least possible number of an item to buy/sell (same function as pressing the Right directional button)​
Playing a post-original version and setting the game version to value 0 (JP Original) does NOT restore the shoulder buttons in the shop.
I feel like I observed the shoulder button functionality years ago but never wrote about it (and quickly forgot) nor bothered to compare game versions.

In my never-ending search for glitched behavior I observed that on difficulty modes where the Shop pauses your game (Easy and Normal), you can place the shooting action in a queue. On- or after the same few frames when entering the shop, press R1. A shooting action will now be in the queue and will be executed when you leave the shop. While in the shop, no bullets will have been expended yet. You can also "store" a magic action (L1) in the same fashion. The trick works in all game versions.

It is rare in Dirge to be able to place actions on hold in this fashion. There is no benefit to doing it and I have only achieved this with the act of using the gun, not with using items nor with Limit Break transformations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom