Demon's Souls

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Did anyone get the hardcore calling for this game? methinks I'll get it for Christmas, but I was curious if anyone here had opinions on it.

Basically it's a very punishing, deep (combat-wise) Zelda. By deep I mean that you have to actively block, parry, riposte, slash, stab, etc. There are bows and magic too.
By punishing I mean you die a lot. It doesn't take much to kill you and when you do you lose all of your demons' souls (all-in-one currency and experience points), though you keep your equipment. Then you come back (at the beginning) in Soul form which apparently you spend a lot of time in and only have half-health. If you make it back to your corpse you get your souls back but if you die again on the way you lose them for good.

You're also always online and can see faint images of what other players are doing at that moment which can give you clues (or players can drop express hints), you can also watch the last 10 seconds of someone's life for warnings. You can drop a beacon which will let you drop into someone's game and play co-op (only in soul form, I think). But at higher levels you can invade someone else's game and try to kill them for their souls and your body back, and you can't back out.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-demons-souls/57298

There's the review, despite the harshness, I'm kinda drawn to it and was curious if anyone had it and had any thoughts.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Looks neat. Probably won't play it in forever due to a lack of a PS3 and the will to spend money on it though :monster:. Nice variation in weapons and characters, too. And the online bit looks interesting.

How come I've never heard of it before though?

...Oh, must be because I never really kept track of such things :monster:.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Dammit Yop, get a PS3 already. You were really the one I was expecting to respond to this topic, forgot you didn't have one. Argh.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Is this a shooter game? no really is it? The title reminds me alot of doom for some reason.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Looks pretty awesome, I might get it on the PS3 but if it ever get's a PC release then i'd rather get that.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Dammit Yop, get a PS3 already. You were really the one I was expecting to respond to this topic, forgot you didn't have one. Argh.

Priorities, kthx.

1. Upgrade my accommodation to someplace closer to work with less (or no) people to share it with.
2. Get a HD tv
3. Get a media center PC or set-top box
4. Make sure I still have a job.
5. The rest.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Priorities, kthx.

1. Do what ForceStealer tells me.
2. Upgrade my accommodation to someplace closer to work with less (or no) people to share it with.
3. Get a HD tv
4. Get a media center PC or set-top box
5. Make sure I still have a job.
6. The rest.

Fixxed.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Excuse me, I'm the Great Old One here, feeble mortal. You're unable to go against my will.

Unless you're Hastur, in which case, he bebe :monster:.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
SO..... a Christmas later, and I finally got this. (Please no spoilers)

I'll be playing it later this week, and posting impressions then. Just wanted to bump this thread for easy poasting from my phone once I start.

...also, Yop: GET A PS3. :awesomonster:

X :neo:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Sounds like an awesome game. I'd be interested in hearing what this is like as well.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Played it. Did not complete it as it was a rental and it is a game that may take a long time, depending on the player's skill.

To say the least, it is refreshing to play a game that rewards those of us that become quite skilled with the genre and/or games in general. Too many games hold your hand these days, and its nice to see a real challenge on the market.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Started a game today as a Temple Knight. Loving the Halberd and the armor, though I haven't had to use the miracle to heal much as items are mostly abundant. Two handed combat has been serving me quite well thus far.

The character creation is a bit bland and suffers awkward issues. I had skin color change after adjusting another field and couldn't revert it. Not the best looking characters, but that's ok.

Managed to defeat the Phalanx Demon, while only dying a couple times on-the-job way there, one fall and an attempt against an enemy that seemed too hard for me currently. I died again via dragon fire just after coming back to life though. After a few tries, I got past the dragon roasting the ramparts, (not sure if there's a reliable tactic to use there), and got killed by the giant towershield wielding monstrosity. Decided to take a break.

Is there an advantage to being alive, aside from the increased health?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
With the Dragon Roasting, I did a lot of dash's forward, and the running back. Waited for it a to toast half or so of the bad guys, and then ran straight past the rest on my next run, not wanting to get hit again, turning right at the end of the bridge.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Update:

• I have just enough stamina to run JUST after the dragon roasts the ramparts, and not get killed.
• I got a short bow, and have subsequently fallen in love with Archery, as it let me slay the Demon with the tower shield, and has been helping me out with the dwarf-lizard-people (mostly with the mages).
• I managed to get to Soul Level 28.
By warping to the Archstone where the Tower Shield Demon was, will let you sneak up behind the two blue-eyed soldiers and stealth kill them. After killing the second, if you block strafe left, the attacks from the 3 crossbowmen will usually miss you or be deflected, and then a heavy attack will take them all out. It's good for a little over 800 souls, and helped me stock up on arrows for the next section.
• I killed the red-eyed knight through the room on the ramparts with the trebuchets after many, many deaths. (luring him back into the room, and using turpentine on my weapon, and then relentlessly attacking was the key to my success).
• I was brutally murdered by some executioner lady MULTIPLE times when trying to enter the castle by going left, and killing the summoned minions, and then going through the entryway. I managed to attack her directly and hit her at least 6 times, and was basically still helpless. She's still on my need-to-kill agenda.
• I saved some trapped guy in the first castle (after almost killing him), and he gave me a telescope.
I came down the stairs, after killing the blue-eyed knight on the ramparts by the trebuchets, there's a guy in the room below surrounded by explosive barrels. I went to shoot him with my bow, and SOMEHOW stepped over the ledge, and landed behind the guy you're supposed to rescue... and I stabbed him in the back, and kicked him off the ledge, followed by him saying, "What are you doing!?" so I jumped down and saved him, and got my reward. In hind sight, I think that means that the other guy who was all boarded up behind a ton of wooden barricades probably wasn't an enemy... and... that means I SHOULDN'T have killed him. In my defense, with a halberd, I only see the option to talk AFTER I'm executing an attack, and that guy was the first non-crazy person I'd ever found. Now I'll be looking for non-psychotics, and not just insta-killing anything that moves.
• I learned/memorized the miracle "Evacuate" (though I forgot to re-equip my talisman-thing, so I later died to a black phantom invading my world, while being attacked by wolves). I tried to hit him with a scimitar rather than disappear, because it was set as my close-quarters alt-weapon for a while.
• I've managed to upgrade my weapons a bit. Shortbow +3, Quality Halberd +1, Scimitar +5.
• Stealth killing people with a halberd is fantastically brutal and rewarding.
• I stopped playing last night after activating the lever that starts some rotating platforms, so I can get back to where I left off easily. There's a misted section ahead of me, and I'm not sure if it's got a demon or whatelse, and I figured it was best to be prepared.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Sounds like you're doing decently well :monster: I can't quite remember which of those guys you killed, I know one of them gives you access to stuff and helps you on the final boss in world 1, so that would be unfortunate to lose him, though not an absolute disaster. Also be on the lookout for shopkeepers in the dungeons, they tend to travel from level to level and if you attack them once they will never sell to you.

Have you tried any of the other worlds yet?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Sounds like you're doing decently well :monster: I can't quite remember which of those guys you killed, I know one of them gives you access to stuff and helps you on the final boss in world 1, so that would be unfortunate to lose him, though not an absolute disaster. Also be on the lookout for shopkeepers in the dungeons, they tend to travel from level to level and if you attack them once they will never sell to you.

Have you tried any of the other worlds yet?

Well that sucks. I'll be more cautious with non-agressive folks in this level.

I did find the filthy old dude, and DIDN'T kill him.

I looked at the prison-tower, and decided it was a little too creepy for me at this juncture. Then I went to the shadow world, shot a blue-eyed skeleton with a bow. Said chrome skeleton proceeded to dodge roll across the entire field in seconds, and started to kick my ass before I warped back to the Nexus. That's about all I've done in the non-castle, non-subterranean worlds. I can't recall if I visited the last world after the skeleton encounter.... probably not.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The prison tower IS creepy. I think I've only beaten the first level there. I actually like the Shadow World, but I am pretty sure that I summoned a blue phantom or two for help. World 2 is eerie, though not so much so as the tower (and a superior blacksmith to the one in the Nexus is near the entrance). And World 5 sucks a whole lot. Its the only world in which I haven't completed anything.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
The prison tower IS creepy. I think I've only beaten the first level there. I actually like the Shadow World, but I am pretty sure that I summoned a blue phantom or two for help. World 2 is eerie, though not so much so as the tower (and a superior blacksmith to the one in the Nexus is near the entrance). And World 5 sucks a whole lot. Its the only world in which I haven't completed anything.

The filthy old dude is the superior blacksmith, or is it someone else? He'll only sell me shit I don't need right now, he doesn't smith anything yet. Do I need to pass a certain point to get him to do that?

Oh - I got a Mausoleum Key, which I haven't found anywhere to use yet, and there's a locked door after the entryway to the Tower Demon on the left (right coming from the Archstone) that I haven't found any way to open yet.

Also - I forgot to mention how much I hate FUCKING GODDAMN WOLVES.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Oh he's the guy in the smithy down the elevator thing in World 2 ("Blacksmith Ed")? I thought you meant the merchant that sits crosslegged in that small turret in the Tower Demon's castle. I don't think you have to give anything to him just to upgrade. I know if you give him the soul you get from the first boss in the Stonefang Tunnel he can start making unique weapons though.

I don't remember about the door next to the Tower Demon, but the Mausoleum Key leads to an optional boss - Old King Doran - in the first area. I haven't even attempted to fight him yet, but there are cheap strategies on the internet to kill him at low-level I believe.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So in checking some things,
I totally was responsible for Ostrava dying, because I stabbed him in the back, and he died (somewhere) from his injuries, since he's supposed to leave behind the Mausoleum Key I have.

Also- it was the Dregling Merchant who I killed in the room beyond the boards. In my defense, he WAS a dregling, and looked like all the other enemies.[/url]

ForceStealer

Double Growth
lol, the only reason I didn't kill him was because someone left a note on the ground in front of the boards saying "Don't Attack!" I definitely recommended that message :monster:

Sucks about Ostrava though.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I left a message at the time that said "there's a weird enemy ahead." When I went back to erase it, I found it had been reccomended once...

I'M SORRY WHOEVER YOU WERE!!!!!!

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Ok, so I've defeated Phalanx, and I think shit makes sense now. I totally have a better idea of what I'm doing. Apparantly I was going the wrong way, which is why I kept dying (cause the same dude kept killing me before I could react).

As for the merchant behind the boards, there was no message there when I went through :/ I did attack him cause I saw him and got scared, but then he was like, "What are you doing?" (paraphrased) so I stopped, lol. I left a message there, so hopefully it stays.

Top Bottom