Demon's Souls

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah I think the game actually gets a bit easier after that first level.

Did either of you find the Cling Ring in that first area though? I'm not sure you can get it later (maybe you can though, I dunno), but it gives you 75% in soul form rather than 50%.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I've got it. I also got the fire ring, stealth ring, and something to increase my max load. The Cling ring is how I survive most of my encounters where I get into non-planned combat.

What class'd you start as Tifabelle?

X :neo:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Um, I don't remember. Maybe Soldier (is that even one?). I picked the most balanced class.

I don't think I found that ring :/ I got two rings, one was the one that increases max load (Strength Ring?) and the other one that was near that. I don't remember what the other one was though. I want the Cling Ring :(

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
If you need to find it, it's in world 1-1, and it doesn't look like it goes away. To be more specific, it's
in the tower on the left. If you go up the long way, up to the area with all the trebuchets, there's a blue-eyed knight. if you go past him, there's a dark room with a long winding staircase that leads down to a lever that will open the gate, and allow you to easily access the tower. It should be in there, I believe.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I'm definitely gonna go back and look for it. Thanks! It's probably past where I kept dying, lol. But I'm a bit more experienced now, and I leveled up a little. Also I'm not dead, so I have more HP.

Where would you guys recommend I go from here? Do I stay in the first world, or am I supposed to go to the others? Are they in order of difficulty?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
No, not really. GENERALLY the first level in each world is around the same difficulty. This is in theory, there's a lot of fluctuation to be sure. But World 1, Level 3 is definitely harder than any of the other worlds' level 1, thats for sure. Does that make sense?

I'd say go on to the second level of the first world for now though. I'd recommend summoning a helper for the boss though. The first level of World 2 should also not be too awful by now.

(And just since you guys said yours, I started as the Knight)

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I'd honestly say that if you're cautious, world 2-1 is probably going to be better for you from what I've seen so far. It'll help you get items to upgrade your weapons, which is a big plus. Either route, you're likely to run into GODDAMN wolves, though not TOO many of them. Just don't let them get behind you.

While the soldiers in 1-2 are easier to kill right out, there is the issue of getting to the end and avoiding the fire. If you can avoid getting insta-fucked by dragon fire, it's worth doing 1-2 instead. The lizard-zombie-dwarves of 2-1 are harder, but slow. If you want to enjoy being alive for a bit, and kick some ass, go explore 1-1 or 2-1 for now. (I haven't completed 2-1 yet, though).

Anything that shoots arrows is going to be a LARGE benefit from here on out.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
No, not really. GENERALLY the first level in each world is around the same difficulty. This is in theory, there's a lot of fluctuation to be sure. But World 1, Level 3 is definitely harder than any of the other worlds' level 1, thats for sure. Does that make sense?

Yes it definitely does, lol.

I'd say go on to the second level of the first world for now though. I'd recommend summoning a helper for the boss though. The first level of World 2 should also not be too awful by now.

I'll try Level 1 of World 2. Well, I want to go back to 1-1 first, and go to a couple of the areas I skipped over. And I want to find that ring :wacky:

(And just since you guys said yours, I started as the Knight)

Oh! That might have been what I picked. Is that one quite balanced? I picked the one whose stats were all fairly the same. I wanted to do that the first time around because I didn't know how I would play. Which is silly, because in most games I don't use much magic. I'm more of a physical fighter.

X-SOLDIER said:
While the soldiers in 1-2 are easier to kill right out, there is the issue of getting to the end and avoiding the fire. If you can avoid getting insta-fucked by dragon fire, it's worth doing 1-2 instead.

That part with the dragon was funny. I read the messages that said "Don't stop!" and whatnot, and I was like, "I wonder why". Well, I took my sweet time cause there were treasures to be had. Then I got roasted by dragon fire and I was like, "Oh. That's why." I didn't die, thank God, and managed to get to safety, lol.

Anything that shoots arrows is going to be a LARGE benefit from here on out.

I don't have a ranged weapon. When I go back to 1-1, I'll probably get enough souls though so I can get one.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think you were right and Soldier is the most balanced. The Knight starts at the highest Soul Level and with heavy armor and stuff. But he's slower (I can't do a dodge roll unless I take off my armor). The Soldier, I believe, comes with a spell though, doesn't he? If so, that can be substituted for a long range weapons for the time being.

Long range and/or magic can allow you to be a really cheap bastard against the Tower Demon in 1-2 like I was :monster:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I think you were right and Soldier is the most balanced. The Knight starts at the highest Soul Level and with heavy armor and stuff. But he's slower (I can't do a dodge roll unless I take off my armor). The Soldier, I believe, comes with a spell though, doesn't he? If so, that can be substituted for a long range weapons for the time being.

Long range and/or magic can allow you to be a really cheap bastard against the Tower Demon in 1-2 like I was :monster:

Temple Knight comes with a Miracle, but it's Heal, and totally useless if you have items. Worth doing so that I could learn escape after farming some souls. I can dodge roll though. I'm also not sure that Quality Halberd was the best upgrade path to go, now that I know what they mean.... :\

So the first time, I just melee'd him in the ankles, and got ~1/7th of his life down before he finally managed to shield smash kill me. After that, I stocked up on arrows, and shot him from the archer vantage point. Target his head, and just after the KABOOM of his ranged attack, step up and hold R1, the second his shield flinches, release to fire your arrow. If I shot at any other point in time, I'd miss. I managed to down him with ~70 arrows, including the number of misses it took for me to learn the pattern.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Someone comes with an offensive spell. Might be Royal. Royal is who I most often see recommended as a starting class. They're the only calss that starts at level 1 but you get a spell, a ring, and a spear which makes the first area (comparatively) easy.

I did it the same way (shooting from above) except I had a blue phantom with me that was also attacking his ankles, so whenever he knocked it down I would jump down and slash at its head.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA

Ok, so maybe I am Soldier, lol. I can dodge roll. Sloppily I might add; it's not smooth as I would expect. Probably cause I have armor on. I don't have any spells or miracles. And I didn't realize I could buy any until I used up all my souls, lol. meh, I'll figure it all out eventually.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So, I played a good amount of Demon's Souls this weekend. Let's break down what's gone down.

• Finished up World 2-1 and killed the
Armor Spider. There's a spot in the tunnel where you can shoot him with a bow, and his short attack won't reach you, and you can dodge roll away from his long range attacks ~85% of the time.
• Got my Composite Short Bow up to +7, so that
after I beat Flame Lurker, and give his Soul to Ed, I can put the Armor Spider's soul into it, and make the Lava Bow.
• My Halberd's a Quality +4 right now. Once I start getting chunks of Greystone, and raise my Strength some more (current 20), I think that Crushing may benefit me more, since my Dex is 12. I'm still really hoping to find a Mirdan Hammer, since they're apparently just a same-stat version of the Halberd with bludgeoning damage, which means that they break guards more easily.
• From the Archstone, I wandered left and steamrolled two NPC Black Phantoms guarding the
Crystal Lizard Nest. I managed to shoot down about half of them, and get a TON of ore for weapon upgrades. I've also located a few stray ones and shot them down.
• Found and DIDN'T kill Patches, the Hyena, although I did set off an explosion that knocked him a good distance, when I killed that big beetle thing behind him. (He's glowing and waving at you).
Now he sits in the Nexus and sells me things. Particularly glad that he sells Heavy Arrows, because now my attack with my bow is up to 201. I can't wait to see how hard that hits.
• Explored, and got all the items from the scaffolding area.
• Went underground into the maze-like tunnels, and killed a ton more firey big beetle-things. Found myself stuck in a 4 way path. One was where I came from, the other dead ended with treasure, so I would have to choose between going out into what looked like Lava and fight a giant beetle, or fall off a ledge covered in molted beetle skins (I left a note, since I NARROWLY avoided the fall). My only hint was the very unhelpful not in the middle of the intersection that read "Left" Since I hadn't yet died, and was at ~15,000 souls (not including the ones I had in item form), I just Escaped myself back to the Nexus and leveled up (God it rocks having that Miracle).
• In the entire time, sinceb returning to the Archstone after killing the
Armor Spider
, I've managed to get through the entire area, up to where I left with no damage to my armor, 17 damage to my Halberd, and I'm still alive.
• Since I've been alive the whole time, I haven't had to bother with the Cling Ring, and I've got the Thief's Ring and the Ring of Herculean Strength. It's been absolutely a requirement here to carry all the ore without burdening myself down. I don't know what I'd do without it. The Theif's ring hasn't been useful directly, but I'm assuming that it lets me get a little closer to the Crystal Lizards that I see, without scaring them off, and I'd rather not remove it to test my theory.

Since I've gone so far into World 2-2, I'm wondering where on earth the Demon is here. I've only passed through 1 or 2 mist curtains thus far, and it doesn't help that it's such a maze of tunnels, and you walk the whole thing, so as to avoid the pitfalls, ambushes, worms, and explosive traps, and make sure you find all the cut backs. I'm assuming that it might be down the right path from the Archstone, since I haven't even gone that way, but I'm totally unsure. I think I'm gonna try going right, and then head back where I've been, since the last mist curtain I crossed was blocking the entryway to the tunnels where I eventually just left.

On another note, I got to see my friend Paul's game where he started as Royalty, and my girlfriend started a game as a thief. The attack methods with the different elements are REALLY interesting. Paul's character essentially ONLY attaks with Soul Arrow, and the dagger is vastly different from how my Halberd fights. It's interesting to see how different the game can be depending on how you play.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Damn, that's a lot of progress :monster:

I take it you like it then? I'm glad, as I hope I didn't mislead Tifabelle into spending money she wouldn't have spent. But yeah, it is crazy how different each weapon is. I was amazed watching how fast my friend's thief is. My knight is kinda slow and plodding (but badass - few things are more satisfying that the parry - riposte with a shield and sword). And yes, the Ring of Herculean Strength is a necessity.

The 2-2 boss in a big cavern with lava. And as I recall, is kinda easy. I HATED thsoe clown guys in World 2 that shoot fire at you. They're always in such a position that you're in a very precarious spot when near one. Blargh.

Had any encounters with Blue or Black Phantoms yet?

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I take it you like it then? I'm glad, as I hope I didn't mislead Tifabelle into spending money she wouldn't have spent.

Haha, no not at all! :lol: I was considering buying it anyway, and I got it when Amazon had that crazy sale. Actually, I really like the gameplay; it's a lot of fun (even though I keep dying, lol). I was playing rather casually, which is why I think I wasn't doing well. I want to get through some other games first, then I'm going to go back to it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Okay :) Same here actually, I haven't finished it. Like I said, World 5 suuuucks. And I don't think I've finished World 3 either because its creepy :scared:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
So I finally watched the trailer for this. Looks pretty cool. I especially like the idea of being able to call a friend in to help you. Is that just people on your PSN friends list or any dead player who happens to be on at that time?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Just any player. It's actually pretty tough to play with a friend. You can't just hook up with them.

The way you summon helpers is you drop like a beacon that dead players will see in their game, if they touch it they show up in yours. So if you're on the phone with your friend and tell them exactly where you're dropping the beacon I guess. But even then I'm not sure it shows up in EVERY dead player's game.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
What do these beacons look like?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
...Blue...

Kinda looks like the archstones I think. You'll have a Blue something Stone in your inventory when you're alive to drop it. On the other side you'll just see a glowing blue thing on the ground.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Damn, that's a lot of progress :monster:

I take it you like it then? I'm glad, as I hope I didn't mislead Tifabelle into spending money she wouldn't have spent. But yeah, it is crazy how different each weapon is. I was amazed watching how fast my friend's thief is. My knight is kinda slow and plodding (but badass - few things are more satisfying that the parry - riposte with a shield and sword). And yes, the Ring of Herculean Strength is a necessity.

The 2-2 boss in a big cavern with lava. And as I recall, is kinda easy. I HATED thsoe clown guys in World 2 that shoot fire at you. They're always in such a position that you're in a very precarious spot when near one. Blargh.

Had any encounters with Blue or Black Phantoms yet?

:awesomonster:

I really, really dig it. It's interesting, because in most games, you're the Hero who's "supposed" to complete his epic quest of badassery in 1 take, whereas in this, it all goes down how it went down for you, which is really cool. My Temple Knight's about midspeed, but I didn't know how slow my dodgeroll was until I saw my girlfriend's theif. I always wield 2 handed, so I haven't ever parried anything, but it seems delightfully skill-based, and well worth learning if I needed to.

Well, if it's there, then I'll go right, and then find my way there. Funny thing is that the clown guys, while possibly annoying, I ALWAYS see them, and snipe them with a bow from a good distance, and their fireballs just smack the walls. when I sidestep. I've only run into one directly, (just after I went left from the Archstone) and I just carved him to pieces. I can only assume that there's more of them on the right path.

I had a PC Black Phanton kill me in World 2-1 on my second trip, while I was being assaulted by wolves, and aside from the two NPC Black Phantoms I mentioned earlier, I haven't run into any others. I haven't called any blue phantoms into my world either, MOSTLY because I've spend a good section of the game being dead. Since I've been alive in this section, I haven't seen many places to call them, and especially in this last area, I've been rocking my way through it, so I haven't had any need to call one.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah gettin' assassinated kinda sucks. But few times have I felt more awesome than when I killed one. It was in 3-1. We both ran past each other around the corner and had almost a double take. He clearly didn't like this meeting and took off running. I chased him down and he stopped at a more open area, turned and bowed. I bowed back, and we had a pretty sweet battle. And right at the end I managed to roll behind him and get a killing blow. It was pretty sweet :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
^This right here makes me kind of want to get this game now.

But knowing my luck I'd be the one to die. :P

ForceStealer

Double Growth
lol, its a crazy concept. When a Black Phantom invades your game, you jsut get a message telling you that your world has been invaded. But you don't know where the invader is and he doesn't know where you are, just that you're both in the same 'level'. You can hunt for him or try to hide and ambush him or just go about your business (which is what I tend to do). Sometimes they fall to their own death without you ever seeing them :monster: There's also no headset support or text chat, only a handful of emotes (like the bowing), which goes a long way to keeping you in the moment.

There's also a ring I believe that makes you harder to see for a Black Phantom.

Top Bottom