Detective Pikachu-The Live-Action Movie

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Just saw this and

I loved it!

I dont think you need to be a Pokemon fan to like this movie, as its pretty solid all around. Obviously though, this is a movie for fans by fans. If you have ever loved Pokemon at any point of your life, this is a must see.

I had reservations about the realistic designs, but the animators do a really good job. In motion, the pokemon are appropriately cartoony that the initial uncanny feeling disappears quickly.

All the references/lore is really well crafted into the story. There is definitely a lot of love gone into this. I am very happy, and getting a pokemon card added to the good feelings of nostalgia I had going.

I kinda ruined the plot for myself by watching all the cut scenes of the game, but it's pretty predictable/silly so thats not a huge deal. For those who played the game - it follows the rough story, but definitely improves it in the cinematic sense.

If you are going to rank this compared any of the anime movies... probably in the upper category, based on how you feel on them. I haven't seen every single one, but everything I saw after Spell of the Unown hasnt been that great, imo.

Also the Mr Mime scene was so.... so fucking good. So fucking good.

So yeah, go watch this!!!

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I saw Detective Pikachu today. For the record, I've never played any of the Pokemon games or watched any of the anime. (Many are shocked by this) All I knew is that they can only say their names (Except Pikachu talks in this movie), they each have their own power, and you can catch them in a little ball. That's the only knowledge I had about Pokemon going into this movie... and honestly, I REALLY loved it.

I felt quite impressed by how well the story was written and that you didn't need to know almost anything about Pokemon to enjoy it. There were a few parts here and there when a Pokemon would do something and a lot of people in the theater laughed or reacted and I didn't understand it, but it didn't happen often enough that I was put off.

The Pokemon looked amazing. It was very remarkable how well they blended into the real world and interacted with everything. I enjoyed the action scenes as well and I the script had a good balance of comedy and emotional moments.

All in all, even if you're a bit curious I'd recommend seeing this movie. It's a lot of fun even if you don't know a lot about Pokemon. And probably even more fun if you do.

Here's hoping the Sonic movie can pull something off as well, though I'm not getting my hopes too high for that. :monster:

Ghost X

It was all right. Watchable. 3/5 stars.

I felt the first act and second act were good, but the third act lost me. My submersion was broken in some parts too by what seemed like forced jokes (the climate change joke for instance) and those massive pokemon mountain things, which seemed to simply come across as an excuse for an action scene, and to get to where the story needed to be. not convincing at all. There were scenes where they were clearly aiming for emotional weight too, but it wasn't earned, like where Pikachu got struck by a tiny rock, and it almost killed him. I didn't buy that at all, yet it soaked up film time.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
This movie was outstanding. I went into it as a big fan of Pokémon but not with extremely high hopes. “Detective Pikachu” never really interested me much, but I wanted to see it regardless since it’s Pikachu and it’s Pokémon. It did not disappoint.

The one flaw I saw in it is I found the acting to be... shoddy, at times. But overall it was really a great movie. I thought they did an incredible job with the Pokémon themselves and all of the special effects. Some twists too. Not sure if this is everywhere or not (assume it is), but we got Pokémon cards with our movie tickets which was awesome. Also, our tickets were only $5 each! But yeah. Really great movie. I hope it did well at the box office. I’ve also heard there’s going to be a “Pokémon universe” similar to Marvel’s. I really really hope that’s true because they did such a good job that the universe needs to be explored more.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
tenor.gif

Top Bottom