Distant Worlds

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Anyone ever gone to one of these concerts?

Would you say it was worth it?

Did you take part in the (if available) autograph signing and photo shoot?

What should one expect?

Is it truly a formal affair, or more relaxed (either just the concert or the concert with extra perks such as autographs and photo shoots)?

Anything else anyone wants to say?

* Distant Worlds will be in New York City (BAM) April 1 and 2, 2011. Arnie Roth and Nobou Uemetsu will be there.

I'm contemplating going, but, am not sure... $175.00 for the whole works.

Last edited:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
I got the CD, and really enjoy it, but I've never had the chance to go one of their concerts.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I went to every Final Fantasy concert held in Rosemont, IL. And currently bought tickets for this year; just need to buy tix for the evening show. It's definitely worth every penny in my opinion. I was lucky to meet Nobuo and Arnie at a free signing at Tower Records the night before the Play! videogame symphony.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
$175.00?

Jesus Christ, why is Distant Worlds so expensive? O.o
None of the video game concerts I attended cost that much...o_o

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
$175.00?

Jesus Christ, why is Distant Worlds so expensive? O.o
None of the video game concerts I attended cost that much...o_o
That's cause if you buy those tickets, you get to meet Nobou and get his autograph.

I got the regular old $65 tickets and I'm going with my friends in April. :D

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
That's cause if you buy those tickets, you get to meet Nobou and get his autograph.

I got the regular old $65 tickets and I'm going with my friends in April. :D

I got to meet Uematsu, Yoko Shimomura, Yasunori Mtsuda and Hiroki Kikuta at the Symphonic Fantasies concert and got their autographs.

The ticket only cost 33€. =P
There were cheaper tickets than that and ALL of them allowed attendants to meet the composers (if you were there in time, that is).

So yeah...why is Distant Worlds so expensive? O.o

I always wanted to attend one of the DW concerts but I don't know if I could afford them.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I'm considering going to the one in London.

Probably cheap tickets (£20 to £45) rather than £125 'meet Uematsu' one :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
any VGM concert is on my bucket list.

And I will continue to try and attend them after I've crossed it off.
It's ironic that despite having a full orchestra specifically created for videogame and anime music stationed in Australia we hardly get any concerts here.

(That I know of. :monster:)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
any VGM concert is on my bucket list.

Come to Germany, we have a big one dedicated to Uematsu coming up this Summer (Uematsu will attend) :awesome:

...well actually, it's already sold out....:wacky:

Btw, I've been wondering why FFXII doesn't get any love on Distant Worlds.
They added FFXIII music but still none from FFXII...

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I think as much as I love nearly all the FFXII music it just doesn't have the iconic punch that other particular albums did. There were one or two original themes that were a bit catchy, and all of it could easily be adapted to a live orchestra performance, but the music from XII was really just something to sit in the background rather than something to bludgeon the listeners with.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Gonna bump this thrad, because there's a Distant Worlds concert in SLC this Saturday that the missus and I are gonna go to it, and I'm pretty stoked about it. Additionally, this is also why I had my missus play through FFVII earlier this year after she got into FFXV with me (with it being her first FF game).

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It was SO good. Also, I got a Tonberry plush.

They played the Balam Garden theme that they'd managed to transcribe, since the original was lost. Apocalyptis Noctis and Cosmo Canyon were especially great. Additionally, the Chocobo medley was grand, and to top it all off OWA was the finale with the Audience participating in the "Sephiroth" parts of the song.

Also, found out from my friend that where he lives & we're moving to in Sweden has had one, so I can still enjoy them without vast travel!

X :neo:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
So praise Uematsu and Arnie Roth, I got into the very first 30th Anniversary concert at Sydney, and it was just as magical as I thought it'd be! (I mean, anyone who's in Skype or Discord probably knows how I was gushing for the last couple of days.)

A whole bunch of new songs, and a heckin' great time. Managed to snag myself the Distant Worlds IV CD. They ran out of the tour artbook and the T-shirts super fast, I'm kicking myself for staying in my seat during intermission :(
Main things I noticed during the evening:

The security for the venue was super tight. I had a bad feeling when I went on the facebook page for the venue and saw other events lined with comments complaining about the long delays. Post-Manchester it naturally made sense for the heightened security but it didn't stop the 40-minute delay from wearing on our anticipation (and they opened the gates for checks about two hours prior, as well). They were only passing people through 4 security gates and even they had to concede and open up another with a bar scanner. I lucked out and managed to sneak my (shitty) recording equipment through the makeshift queue :monster:
(I thought the problem with my recordings would be the battery life or memory space, turns out it ended up being my phone automatically stopping recording from overheating, fuck :monster:)

So I didn't realise but Roth introduced the orchestra as 'the Distant Worlds Philharmonic Orchestra' and 'Distant Worlds Chorus', which sounds like they have a dedicated touring orchestra. I guess that's p. cool since they've always seemed to have albums recorded by orchestras on loan, so at least the live performances will have consistency. One or two of the albums are kind of subpar compared to the others.

NEW SONGS EVERYWHERE. Mainly why I bought the new CD (ed: bolded the new songs)

Surprisingly, no solo vocal performances. Eyes On Me, Kiss Me Goodbye, no Answers. Nothing of the sort, only choral music at most. I guess Calloway couldn't make it :monster:

In order of performances:
Prelude - I've heard this a million times but actually being there and watching the big screen play dumb nostalgic videos makes me tear up for real
Battle Medley - This one's pretty familiar as well, nothing new. The brass section for this piece (and a whole bunch of other ones throughout the night) weren't quite on point, which is a bit disappointing

The Oath (FFVIII) - Fucking awesome. Roth said it was the first time they'd played it in concert. One of the highlights of the evening, a huge standout from the new repertoire. One of the longer pieces, but as an Uematsu arrangement absolutely inspired.
Fang's Theme (FFXIII) - Out of all the XIII pieces they introduced to the concert, I like Fang's Theme the most (besides Fabula Nova Crystalis) - it has the most interesting theme (and uses multiple themes, really) and is the most substantial arrangement. The only album version available is the Returning Home album, which I'm to be honest is kind of subpar. So I'm glad to have listened to a performance of it that isn't shit :monster:

Searching For Friends (FFVI) - Another brand-new track (Roth says it literally came in 'days' ago), this one's also another keeper. It's a little lighter in tone than I expected from the arrangement at the beginning but it works well and with Uematsu's touch it's still a really enjoyable piece. The gameplay footage on-screen really shines and evokes the turbulence of emotion that happens during that sequence.
It's also not on any album yet (even the new one), which is a fucking bummer
Theme of Love (FFIV) - Not much to say about this one, it's an absolute classic and one that's been done for years. Still as good as the first time it was done way back in... 2002?

Torn From The Heavens (FFXIV) - This is the song that singularly made me fall in love with A Realm Reborn (that Prelude motif tho!), and it touched the nostalgia nerve just as easily as the original did all the way back. It's a great piece by Soken but the orchestra slipped at a few spots and I really wish there was more of an... arrangement touch to it instead of just repeating the song a second time like the original soundtrack. It's the same problem a lot of non-Uematsu arrangements have (including ones from XII and XIII) - Uematsu takes the time to turn Distant Worlds pieces into enjoyable pieces with a second half that really mixes things up, but most other pieces from XII onwards (besides the Uematsu-written XIV ones) don't have much more than a coda slapped on the end. It's actually the same issue I take with Fang's Theme but that piece is more substantial regardless so I don't begrudge it too much
Also the brass section fucks up again at some pretty key points, which is another minor disappointment
You're Not Alone! (FFIX) - another great classic. I only know FFIX on the surface so it doesn't hold a lot of nostalgia for me, but every Distant Worlds piece I've heard from this game is fucking awesome and this isn't any different

Apocalypsis Noctis (FFXV) - imo one of the best non-Uematsu arrangements and a great pick for the Distant Worlds repertoire. Lends itself well to the format because it was mixed for a trailer, so doesn't blandly loop or anything equally vanilla :monster:. Short, but sweet
Festival of the Hunt (FFIX) - one of the newer additions, a really smooth rendition of Hunter's Chance. The shaky brass again brought it down a notch in some parts, but the vital tuba players did hold it together well

Post-intermission

Opening - Bombing Mission (FFVII) - I love this track and it's always great to hear it but I've heard it a thousand times and I don't think I've ever heard a bad rendition of it. Cool that they use FFVIIR footage now though.
Arnie Roth throwing shade on the Remake development time post-performance though, lol

Somnus (FFXV) - the first Distant Worlds performance of the song, apparently. I was really happy to see Somnus stand the test of development time throughout FFXV/Versus XIII's development. I honestly prefer the one with the vocal track, but for the Instrumental Version we actually got a violin performance by Arnie Roth himself, which was fucking tops. He did great, the piano performance was great (kind of slipped up a bit but w/e), the piece is great.

Cinco de Chocobo (FFVII) - I think this is kind of new? Chocobo songs are always a fun part of Distant Worlds, there's always some cute shit going on on-screen and it always gets a chuckle out of the crowd. Footage of Cloud on the World Map running back and forth along chocobo tracks, lol.
Cool 5/4 meter stuff. Fun, p. jazzy, just a rollickin' good time.
Hymn of the Fayth (FFX) - the perfect song for the Distant Worlds Chorus to flex their chops. Short and sweet, obligatory Sending cutscene on screen. Whole audience absolutely captivated. Transitions effortlessly into Zanarkand.
Zanarkand (FFX) - To Zanarkand is a fucking rollercoaster of emotion and it never gets old for me. Not much to say about this piece, tbh, they knock it out of the park pretty much every time. Phenomenal as always

Flash of Steel (FFXII) - also listed on album as Clash of Swords, this is a Hitoshi Sakimoto-ass piece and couldn't be more Sakimoto unless it was Dalmasca Eastersand. Another new 'premiere' piece for Distant Worlds, it's a super fun listen and even has some nice little flourishes in the second half that take it a little step above the usual non-Uematsu arrangement.
The brass kept making tiny slips here and there, by this point it was bugging me pretty bad.
Cosmo Canyon (FFVII) - the Eastern instrumentation flair on this track is a breath of fresh air for the repertoire and I'm so glad that Uematsu added this one. It's toe-tapping fun and is another great, varied arrangement by Uematsu. Instant favorite.

Dancing Mad (FFVI) - this is one of the two classics that I never get tired of hearing from Distant Worlds (the other being Zanarkand). It's always a tremendous piece to listen to and when they have the endurance to nail it, it's one of the top highlights of the repertoire. This song I'm always hankering for especially because the organ solo has always been a stress point for the performance and it's interesting to see how it turns out. I've heard some especially terrible organ sections in the past and it's always marred otherwise generally great performances. No two renditions of this piece ever seem the same.
Thankfully the guy on the night did a great job. Played on tempo, barely had to slow down, handled it really well. One person in the audience clapped for it - it annoyed me a bit but I couldn't disagree. Overall another high note, and I would have been satisfied if it was the last performance of the night.

Theme of Final Fantasy - yeah it is what it is, it's fine. Credits on-screen, show's over, booooo :monster:

One-Winged Angel (FFVII) - They do that whole thing where they try to engage the crowd for the encore, it's super cute and Uematsu on stage joking around and standing with the Chorus is really lovely. That said, I've still heard the song a million times before and the audience seemed a bit fatigued (it was about 11.10pm at that point) so yelling "SEPHIROTH" at the top of our lungs didn't seem like the best thing. Still, its a nice song I guess.

The orchestra sat down for a second encore but Roth/Uematsu didn't come out for another, the cockteases. :monster:

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
It's not over until the [One-Winged Angel Chorus] sings!

Re: The Oath. I'm very glad to hear it was finally added to the Distant Worlds repertoire, because the orchestrated version is one of the first songs I downloaded on Napster and I think it might as well be re-named "Squall's Theme" it's so emotionally significant. Just a question though, was this a *new* arrangement done by Uematsu himself or was it his theme as arranged by Shirō Hamaguchi, who did the Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec album? A nitpick I know, but the idea of a new arrangement of an old song gives me a nerdga...strointestinal stress.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
The booklet in the Distant Worlds IV CD isn't specific - it lists Hamaguchi as one of the members of the arrangement team, so I'll have to dig a little further into it

ed: Yeah it looks like a dead ringer for the Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec arrangement. Oh well :monster:
Also, reviewing my audio recording, Arnie Roth straight-up calls out Hamaguchi, so I guess I'm just a fuckin' idiot :awesome:

Oh! Also they played the Victory Theme after the first two performances. I completely forgot because I shrugged it off as a cute joke :monster:

I'll probably have a rundown of the Distant Worlds IV album too, because I bought that (spoilers: it's some fucking good shit) but it's already available on the yootoobs if you want to peruse the tracks anyway.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Just a question though, was this a *new* arrangement done by Uematsu himself or was it his theme as arranged by Shirō Hamaguchi

Uematsu never did any orchestral arrangements in general as far as I'm aware. I don't think he possesses the technical skill for that.

I'll probably have a rundown of the Distant Worlds IV album too, because I bought that (spoilers: it's some fucking good shit) but it's already available on the yootoobs if you want to peruse the tracks anyway.

One can stream all the DW albums on their official site too :awesomonster:

http://www.ffdistantworlds.com/album/distant-worlds-iv-more-music-from-final-fantasy/

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
So overall, I'm super glad that I bought the CD. Out of everything in the merch left over, I was hankering for the artbook, disc IV and a T-shirt, and I only managed to grab one of those :monster:

Anyway, the actual Distant Worlds IV album song selection isn't as ~fresh~ as the 30th Anniversary concert - a lot of the songs have been in the repertoire for quite some time. I'm pretty sure some of the songs have cam footage on YouTube before even Distant Worlds III was released in 2015, so some of it could technically be called 'old', lol
That said, I like Distant Worlds IV much more than Distant Worlds III. I think Distant Worlds III fixes a problem that the Returning Home album had (some pretty dodgy performances from a live recording), and the introduction of FFXIV pieces in particular are a real highlight of that compilation. But all in all I think Distant Worlds III is a comparatively unfocused effort - with more medleys than the first two albums combined and some song choices that I think are kind of safe/sedate, like Balance Is Restored and Fabula Nova Crystallis.

Distant Worlds IV starts with fucking JENOVA Absolute, (or 'JENOVA COMPLETE' as it is on the tracklist) and its momentum rarely lets up from start to finish in the regular order. The tempo of the opening is great and it actually goes really well from piece to piece, transitioning from older classics like Battle With The Four Fiends to Dalmasca Eastersands, which still keeps up a really nice, brisk pace from the first two battle themes.
It eases well into Phantom Forest and The Oath - which I still think has been the highlight of the current repertoire, and is just as much of a standout in the album as it was in-concert. Phantom Forest on this album isn't quite as crazy-inspired as the arrangement in the Grand Finale one, but it's a great, straightforward translation of the game BGM to orchestra.

If there's some criticism I have to level at the album, to my untrained (and fairly plebeian, to be honest :monster:) ears, the mixing for some songs come off as kind of... flat? Apocalypsis Noctis seems like it's on full-blast for the entirety of the track and every single instrument sounds like they're fighting each other for the melody against the chorus. Maybe as a trailer song it was intentionally recorded/conducted that way, I don't know, but there's an especially disappointing section where in the original soundtrack the clarinet gets a lovely little section towards the middle that ends up getting fighting against piano, chorus, and strings in the Distant Worlds IV version. It's a real shame, as I think both Shimomura tracks on the album are great picks for the repertoire.
Another song that's a little jarring is Fang's Theme - the piano in the original soundtrack takes point, but the Distant Worlds IV recording has its piano way, way dominating the melody alongside percussive elements too strongly for my personal taste.

Anyway, these are pretty much personal gripes that are relatively minor next to most of the recordings. Festival Of The Hunt is another amazing standout arrangement from the repertoire (I am a huge sucker for bold, punchy brass sections and it's probably my runners-up favorite in the album), Dragonsong is Susan Calloway in her comfort zone, and both the Main Theme of Final Fantasy V and Zephyr Memories -Legend of the Eternal Wind- are absolutely delightful. (I found Elia, The Maiden of Water to be my favorite part of the 2002 Medley, so to hear part of it again in a new dedicated arrangement really made me a very happy boy)

Cosmo Canyon probably takes 3rd place favorite for me on the album as like I mentioned before the theme feels stylistically different and super fresh as an arrangement. Somnus is excellent (I don't think I've ever been disappointed by any version of Somnus, really) and Torn From the Heavens is a great climax to the album, though as an arrangement imo it might pale a bit compared to Somnus in terms of instrumentation. I find the use of the main theme of Final Fantasy to bookend the album to be somewhat ominous, given they used it in the concert to close it out with a credits sequence :monster: does this imply some sort of finality for Distant Worlds albums as well? Questions abound!

tl;dr I'm just really impressed with the song choices and the overall composition of the album. Perhaps the lack of a new Chocobo Theme arrangement like Cinco de Chocobo might feel like something's traditionally missing, but I find Distant Worlds IV to be just an excellent listen from the first to last track. My feelings on it might change over time, but I find with previous albums I end up picking out favorites and leaving the rest out from my MP3 player, but Distant Worlds IV feels like a compilation I might readily listen to from start to finish without skipping a thing.

It's not to say I consider it the best album of the lot - the first two albums are essentially Greatest Hits compilation of essential Final Fantasy listening. The first album is almost back-to-back, most iconic themes of the entire franchise, the second contains Dancing Mad :monster: but for the 30th anniversary they picked some incredibly strong themes, and their choices span across both older classics and some very, very new songs, all of which impress on some level. Not disappointed in my purchase in the least.

Last edited:

Avalanche87

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Bakito/Marak/DJMarak
Hello everyone & anyone who has saved this thread.

I wanted to see, because you never know, if anyone in Australia was going to be attending Distant Worlds in Melbourne on the 24th August?

I'm flying solo this time round so it would be great if I wasn't a 100% loner lol!

Avalanche87

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Bakito/Marak/DJMarak
The show was last night down here in Melbourne. It was pretty awesome but quite unfortunate that it was in a sports arena compared to a proper theater.

The footage they chose to show from the various games was pretty cool. As they would start each piece, the screen would show the crystal & then bring in the XYZ title screen of the respective game which was nice.

I was a tad disapointed that even with the large orchestra & choir, they didn't really give it a good push by playing more vocal songs, ie Answers, Opera Maria & Draco. I had some pretty high hopes that due to being the "big brother" of the "worlds" concerts, they would have really gone hard & made everyone lose their freakin minds good & propper!

They played Cosmo Canyon which was insane to hear live which is a new thing Arnie was saying.

All in all, I really enjoyed, I can't see how you can't enjoy, but I don't know what I've got to do to hear songs like Answers, Dancing Mad & Opera Draco & Maria live.

Peace out!

IMG20190824195200.jpgIMG20190824200611.jpgIMG20190824205043.jpgIMG20190824214145.jpgIMG20190824215326.jpg

Top Bottom