Do you think Denzel knew?

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
So I was watching OTWTAS: Denzel, sans subs so this may have been covered.. I don't know. Also, anyone who tells me to read the novella can gtfo right now. I'LL READ IT WHEN I'M READY.

Anyways, my post is this. I was watching and saw how Denzel saw on TV how Avalanche blowed up Sector 5. Thus, his parents died. I'm probably hazy on the details here on how his parents died, they went running off to Sector 5? But it's announced that Avalanche was blowing the Sectors up. So do you think Denzel knew that Tifa and Cloud had a role to play in that? Does he know that they were with Avalanche, and ultimately helped kill his parents? And if he knew, do you think he'd still wanna be living with them? :wacky:

This just bugged me a bit while I watched. Did he mention to either Cloud or Tifa how his parents died at Avalanche's hands, and are withholding this information from him?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
First of all, Sector 7 was destroyed, not Sector 5. :P

And it was Shin-Ra, if you remember. =P
They just blamed it on AVALANCHE.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Reeve already explained it to him I believe, so there's no reason for Denzel to hold a grudge. He knows.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I SAID MY FACTS WOULD BE HAZY.

And you completely avoided the question by pointing out all the flaws. :wacky:

BOEG

Lv. 25 Adventurer
They didn't ignore your question, Channy, they answered it.

The Final Fantasy VII iteration of AVALANCHE, i.e. Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie, only disabled the Mako reactors in Sectors 1 and 5 of Midgar. If you'll recall, there's a rather large amount of exposition after Don Corneo's Mansion where it's explained the Shinra plans to destroy the entirety of Sector 7 in a coup against AVALANCHE, playing off of the citizens fear of the group as collateral and blaming the attack on Midgar.

Denzel's father got news of the cover story and took it at face value, returning home to warn his son and wife of the big bad wolves coming to huff and puff and blow their sector down, and in response, sent Denzel away. His parents died in the ensuing plate collapse of Sector 7 caused ENTIRELY by Shinra, Inc.

In the end, it was the same people signing the Denzel family paychecks that cost Denzel's parents their lives.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Actually, IF YOU READ THE NOVELLA (bite me Channy<3), for I don't know if this is stated in the OVA since I haven't watched it with English subs yet,
Denzel's father worked for Shinra and knew that the Turks were the ones setting up to blow the pillar. He comes home to get his family and bring them to their new house in Sector Five that he had just bought a couple days before due to being recently promoted within the company. Denzel's mother decides that she's not leaving without warning the neighbors to get out as well, so she runs off. Denzel's father was going to bring Denzel to safety himself but one of his coworker's shows up, wondering why he hasn't left the sector. Denzel's father then asks this man to take his son to the house in Sector Five while he goes to get his wife.

Unfortunately, he wasn't quick enough
and thus Denzel become an orphan. :/

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
It's interesting because Denzel seemed to have no idea who the other members of Avalanche were (besides Barret) during the Bahaumat scene in AC.

You would have thought Marlene, Tifa, or Cloud would have at least mentioned them at some point.

As far as resentment, I can't really see it. From all indications C&T have been pretty good parents to the kid and Case of Denzel shows he thinks of them as beyond reproach.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Don't know how you missed it, it says so in the novel.

"Did Shinra do it?"

"Yeah."

Reeve looked away from him. It seemed he was determined not to show any signs of emotion.

"If you hate me then you can do whatever you like to me."

Denzel shook his head.

Axwind

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I knew that part, but I was asking if Reeve had told him why Shinra had done it - because of Avalanche (Cloud and the others). Previous comments seemed to say he had, but the quote doesn't show that. So it's possible that while Denz knows it was Shinra, he still might not know the why of it. And it would be understandable that Cloud and Tifa would be hesitant to speak of it. After all, how do you tell your adopted son that you were indirectly responsible for his parents' deaths?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But isn't that 4 years later? After he lived with Cloud and Tifa for some time. Maybe I misunderstood the question, but wasn't she asking whether Denzel knew if Cloud and Tifa were part of AVALANCHE. Because until Reeve told him, he did think AVALANCHE dropped the plate.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Seemed to me that Denzel may have had some inkling of an idea that it was them. Why else would he even think to ask a question like that?

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
They probably didn't tell him. Caught up with the geostigma, finding a cure and so forth I doubt they would have been blunt enough to tell him "we were intending to blow up your parents, but it happened anyway". Denzel wouldn't have needed the extra stress for a start.

Ameredia

*Reeve Fangirl*
Reeve askt Denzel if shinra did it and Denzel said yes. Reeve evan tells him that if he hates him he can do what ever he whants to him. In the novell that is.

Axwind

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Reeve askt Denzel if shinra did it and Denzel said yes. Reeve evan tells him that if he hates him he can do what ever he whants to him. In the novell that is.

Yes. If Shinra did it. But again, he never asks why they did it. The answer being, to get at AVALANCHE - Cloud, Tifa, and the rest. Which suggests the thought of it has never occurred to him. The part about hating Reeve is there because he was from Shinra at the time, not AVALANCHE, something that Denzel does know at that time. How, I don't know. But he obviously does.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Still weird that he doesn't have any clue who the other members of Avalanche are (save maybe Barret) in AC.

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
Still weird that he doesn't have any clue who the other members of Avalanche are (save maybe Barret) in AC.

Obviously Cloud and Tifa don't talk about it. Tifa doesn't even tell Marlene that it's a box of materia when they're in the church in AC. It seems like they're protecting them a little perhaps.

And considering that Denzel would recall that AVALANCHE are the ones that blew up the reactor that killed his parents (his flashback in the added scene in ACC of the news coverage for example) it was probably a wise decision too, even though it wasn't actually them, since they were still going to do it even if Shinra didn't.

I doubt Denzel would have liked them as much if he'd have known (i.e. runaway from these murderers).

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well one would think, since they seemed to be all about blowing up every reactor. Doesn't mean that Denzel's parents would have died, though. Also, after the Sector 1 reactor blew up Jesse does say she was going to tweak her formula for the next time because the first time was too big. They didn't intend to blow up the residential areas around the reactors.

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
Doesn't mean that Denzel's parents would have died, though. Also, after the Sector 1 reactor blew up Jesse does say she was going to tweak her formula for the next time because the first time was too big. They didn't intend to blow up the residential areas around the reactors.

The intention to cause mayhem was still there. Explaining to a child that you were in the group that was accused of blowing up the reactor that killed his parents, but oh, you didn't actually do it because the company did it to themselves, but hey, we were going to make it much smaller explosion so that there were less casualties and therefore your parents probably wouldn't have died if we'd got to do it, still wouldn't go down too well. That was my point.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
What I meant, though, is that a reactor blowing up is not what made the plate fall. In fact I think the number 7 reactor was unharmed. :monster:

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
I don't think the plates and the reactors are integrated to one another. The reactors seem to be freestanding in comparison to the plates, which are supported by their own pillars.

Top Bottom