Does FFVII have the most insane enemy names ever?

Joyful Blue

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Too many to list.
Assuming that the poster wasn't being sarcastic, here's the way I see it:

"Midgar" has been called a mistranslation of "Midgard." However, thanks to additional Compilation entries, we know that "Midgar" is, in fact, official*. The Zolom's swamp is in close proximity to Midgar. Things are named after adjacent areas all the time, hence "Midgar Something" makes perfect sense, as a name.

I'm not 100% positive on this next part, but I also believe that "Zolom" is another word for "snake," in some such language, or a reference to such a word.

In the end, it's impossible to know for certain until another title comes along with the serpent in it, but all things considered, I think it's more likely that the name is intentional, rather than a mistranslation.

*=Midgar isn't alone, either. Nibelheim was called a mistranslation of "Nifleheim" before Crisis Core came out. The problem is that people are too quick to label something as a mistranslation, rather than a reference.

I wasn't being sarcastic; and as you can probably see form all the posts that came after your own it was probably a worthwhile question to ask. Maybe. Nobody's ever going to agree on what is and isn't correctly translated and even those working on the game themselves may not want to admit to a msitake they may have made. That's why I was wondering why exactly you thought some of them seemed obvious as personally I don't think it's that easy at all.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
@The Joker: What was so strange about the enemy names in Earthbound? They were mostly just an explicit statement of what the enemy was. A Mad Duck was an insane duck. An Annoying Old Party Man or Cranky Lady is just what it sounds like, an annoying angry-drunk and an angry woman. Not seeing the strange factor in those.

I will agree, Touch Me was an odd name for the frogs, though a case could be made that it refers to their power to cause Frog-status by touching you. And does anyone know if Vlakarados is a mistranslation as theorized? I always thought it had a very draconic ring to it, and assumed they were a kind of theropod-styled dragon.

Top Bottom