• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Fandom Weirdness

CaptainLayla2006

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Game Master
The title says it all:
For those of you that were around in the fandom since the early days, what were some of the stories that any of you guys have from that period? Like what was it like watching the whole FFVII House story go down? What are some of the best and worst fanfictions? Did anyone make any Geocities sites? I'm pretty curious to know.

CaptainLayla2006

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Game Master
Ok, I've done a bit more research and I've noticed, when it comes to OCs, specifically female OCs, there's a bit of a pattern:
  • Many of them are self inserts of their creator, which isn't really a bad thing, since I'm guilty of this at times.
  • They're apart of SOLDIER, normally the first female member of SOLDIER.
  • They're shipped with one of the male characters. Sephiroth is definitely the one I see the most of, but I've seen a few paired with Zack, Reno, Rufus, Cloud, basically all the male characters that look bishonen.
  • If they're paired with Sephiroth, it often involves some form of the Draco in Leather Pants trope. (Yes, I read TV Tropes.)

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I’ve wanted a thread like this for a while seeing that I’ve been a fan for not even a year and I’ve already come across some interesting characters in the fanbase, though something tells me that pales in comparison to what you old heads have witnessed...I’ll admit I’m morbidly curious about just how weird this fandom can get

I watched a video about the FF7 house a while back and just...wow lmao I’d especially be really interested to learn about people you guys have interacted with personally

CaptainLayla2006

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Game Master
I’ve wanted a thread like this for a while seeing that I’ve been a fan for not even a year and I’ve already come across some interesting characters in the fanbase, though something tells me that pales in comparison to what you old heads have witnessed...I’ll admit I’m morbidly curious about just how weird this fandom can get

I watched a video about the FF7 house a while back and just...wow lmao I’d be really interested to learn about people you guys have interacted with personally especially
Same here, I've been a fan for about three years.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I played FF7 in 2001, and already felt like I was late to the fandom. Mostly because it was the pre-franchise days, when FFs were standalone entries, and the only FF thing people in the real world wanted to talk about was the upcoming Spirits Within and FFX. I joined an MSN Group called "Final Fantasy Force 3" where we wrote play-by-post fanfic and gabbed about FF7 theories in the pre-Compilation days.

I dunno though, aside from the Final Fantasy House and the explosion of AC.net (neither of which I witnessed in real time) I can't think of much that stands out. It's been a long 20 years with lots of weirdos coming and going. Most were harmless youngsters with self-insert fanfics about themselves falling into FF7's world and redeeming Sephiroth through the power of squish. I was for some years a judge and moderator on a forum called the Genesis Awards, which was specifically for FF7 fanfiction (it predated the character of Genesis by about a half-decade). Of that board, a few folks made their way here. I haven't read or written fanfic in many years, edits to my ol' novelization notwithstanding.

Jairus was a stand-out werido. He was honestly one of the most dramatic people I've ever dealt with in this fandom. I'm not on twitter, but I think he's still in the fandom neighbourhood, making people cross the street when he comes by.

A lot of my friends left the fandom when Advent Children came out. Some I still have on FB. Most are lost to the mists of time. Sometimes when I'm extra grumpy about the Compilation, someone will ask, "Why are you even still here?" and... I don't really have an answer for them.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Being grumpy about the compilation is old-hat in of itself now, the compilation now being older than the original game was when it started. It's time to be grumpy about the remake instead lol.

For my money, there are too many vague allusions to these characters
Sephirothslave and SummonerYuna-AKA
around here for the fact that people rarely give specifics. I want in on the joke, damn it.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It was not a joke. As serious as a Masamune to the chest.

They believed it 100% and lived their life based on it.

Summoner Yuna was one of the biggest, most prominent and also.... Eccentric fans of FFVII for a very long time. Because she made no bones about stating that Sephiroth was her man, Summoner Yuna was her expy, and she fucked him on the Astral Plane. She was extremely sensitive about this and those who tried to tell her he wasn't real or mock her for her beliefs got swiftly banhammered from her forum. People walked on eggshells when dealing with her because she was emotionally sensitive and prone to outbursts.

Sephirothslave came out of nowhere and was also extremely vocal about her connection and love of Sephiroth. She was a bit more kinky about it. Was on deviantart. Hated Summoner Yuna's guts and joined the forum a few times to start shit.

CaptainLayla2006

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Game Master

Summoner Yuna was one of the biggest, most prominent and also.... Eccentric fans of FFVII for a very long time. Because she made no bones about stating that Sephiroth was her man, Summoner Yuna was her expy, and she fucked him on the Astral Plane. She was extremely sensitive about this and those who tried to tell her he wasn't real or mock her for her beliefs got swiftly banhammered from her forum. People walked on eggshells when dealing with her because she was emotionally sensitive and prone to outbursts.

Sephirothslave came out of nowhere and was also extremely vocal about her connection and love of Sephiroth. She was a bit more kinky about it. Was on deviantart. Hated Summoner Yuna's guts and joined the forum a few times to start shit.

Geez, that's crazy. I hope their both okay now and got the help they needed. I say that because, if there's one thing that differentiates me from a lot of the people on the internet, it's still having empathy for these people. As silly as this whole thing sounds, two women fighting over a fictional JRPG character.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
It's time to be grumpy about the remake instead lol.

tenor.gif

Also Summoner Yuna was detailed on encyclopedia dramatica but apparently that site got dusted :(

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'll just leave this here.

There are many people out there who try to claim him. I'm sure there are many people on here who think he belongs to them. I am not out to sound like I'm better than others, but I always seem to be able to prove anyone wrong when they try to tell me they love him more than I do. They either love a RL boyfriend more, have other characters/celebrities/etc that they also "love", etc. Keep in mind when you say you love someone, that you should only say so if you truly, deeply love them. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the term "love" ... and although many people use that term to describe liking/fandom/crush, it always irks me. I see fangirls saying "I love Sephy" and I'm like ... no you don't, you even said it somewhere that you just think he's hot, etc. That is not love, it's fandom. What I have is love.

I'll say this. She was quite.... Poised and secure over her claim of Sephiroth. She didn't get into flame wars or anything with Sephirothslave. Sephirothslave was the aggressive one. Summoner Yuna acknowledged her once or so, and then just banned her.

Furthermore, she was the head of the most.. Ardent fanclub for Sephiroth on the forum.

I... Couldn't tell if it was just a fanclub or an otherkin cult, sometimes. There was little difference for some members. Summoner Yuna certainly treated it as religious affair. I am not exaggerating.

What ended her love of Sephiroth, and ACF as a whole, was her essentially losing interest in Sephiroth for... The Cloverfield creature. She ditched the forum and everything FFVII for Cloverfield. She ceased paying for the domain and website and it all just vanished. She saw Cloverfield numerous times and it literally consumed her.

There was a happy ending though. She finally got a RL boyfriend. :monster:

Last edited:

CaptainLayla2006

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Game Master
I'll just leave this here.

I'll say this. She was quite.... Poised and secure over her claim of Sephiroth. She didn't get into flame wars or anything with Sephirothslave. Sephirothslave was the aggressive one. Summoner Yuna acknowledged her once or so, and then just banned her.

Furthermore, she was the head of the most.. Ardent fanclub for Sephiroth on the forum.

I... Couldn't tell if it was just a fanclub or an otherkin cult, sometimes. There was little difference for some members. Summoner Yuna certainly treated it as religious affair. I am not exaggerating.

What ended her love of Sephiroth, and ACF as a whole, was her essentially losing interest in Sephiroth for... The Cloverfield creature. She ditched the forum and everything FFVII for Cloverfield. She ceased paying for the domain and website and it all just vanished. She saw Cloverfield numerous times and it literally consumed her.

There was a happy ending though. She finally got a RL boyfriend. :monster:

Whoa, I wonder why no one on Youtube's talked about this.
TBH, I never understood the hype around villains like Loki, Kylo Ren, basically every long haired male antagonist with a "twagic backstory", that's occasionally paired with the main heroine, and has a ton of hybristophiliac fangirls on places like Twitter and Tumblr, man, Sephiroth was the OG version of that whole thing. I'll be honest, I prefer them as villains.

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Being grumpy about the compilation is old-hat in of itself now, the compilation now being older than the original game was when it started. It's time to be grumpy about the remake instead lol.
So being a hardass about everything outside of the OG isn’t a new thing lol

I expected to see a lot of teenage boy fans being horny over Tifa but hot damn why does everything have to become some weird sex thing lmao

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Just like a lot of Star Wars fans, I suppose.
I’ve never watched a Star Wars movie in my life and even I know this about Star Wars fans lol maybe it’s just who I am as a person but after growing up being bullied for being a nerd before it was “cool”, at no point did I ever think “let me now take that energy and harass other people with it”...but then again it seems a lot of the more obsessive fans tend to take personal baggage and project it into whatever fandom they’re a part of, so while it admittedly can be fun to laugh at, I do genuinely feel bad for these people and wish them well

CaptainLayla2006

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Game Master
I’ve never watched a Star Wars movie in my life and even I know this about Star Wars fans lol maybe it’s just who I am as a person but after growing up being bullied for being a nerd before it was “cool”, at no point did I ever think “let me now take that energy and harass other people with it”...but then again it seems a lot of the more obsessive fans tend to take personal baggage and project it into whatever fandom they’re a part of, so while it admittedly can be fun to laugh at, I do genuinely feel bad for these people and wish them well
I tend to just wing it, always trying to focus more on the positives rather than the negatives.

So I have NO IDEA why I even have this saved, but this was it, right? (For those that missed out on ACF, enjoy - this is a genuine artifact from, like, the mid-2000s)

I0aaauJ.jpg

I always thought the text sounded a bit tongue-in-cheek; SY wasn't kidding around with her obsession, though, that was not an affected eccentricity.

Top Bottom