FF Newbie Starting FF7 original

• Thread starter Deleted member 13557
  • Start date

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I played my older cousin's copy of FFVII and it was the first FF I ever played, and in fact, it was the first real Playstation title I played and beat. :monster:

From there I played FFVIII, FF Tactics and then went backwards to IV, V, and VI. Then played IX, and X. Was hooked.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Just out of interest, how did some of you initially find out about FF7 or FF in general?

As (most likely) a younger user here, I found out about FF7 through a guy on YT called Maximilian Dood, who cited it as his favourite game of all time.

My friend was playing it when I was over at his house back when it came out. Kinda reminded 10-year-old-me of Pokemon, so he let me borrow it for a bit, and then I got it on my birthday.

The olden-times

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
So, after I play through FF7 again to 100% it, is it AC next? I'm aware of CC and DoC but a) I don't have a PSP or a PS2 and b) I have pretty shitty broadband so emulating them would be an issue. Might just watch walkthroughs.

I'll pick up the remake eventually and if there's any other FF7 media let me know
Like others have said, Advent Children is probably the next best step, especially since it's the most easily available entry in the compilation that this point. I would really recommend reading this first though, if money isn't an issue:
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-VII-Way-Smile/dp/1975382358
Just out of interest, how did some of you initially find out about FF7 or FF in general?

As (most likely) a younger user here, I found out about FF7 through a guy on YT called Maximilian Dood, who cited it as his favourite game of all time.
I don't even remember why I played it originally anymore, honestly. I had seen it on a lot of top games ever made lists, and my sister liked Kingdom Hearts when we were young so I knew who Cloud was kinda, so I think I just decided I wanted to play it one day. I know I beat it in January 2013 though.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think what specifically drew the comparison in my head was that sleeping at an Inn to heal (complete with a jingle) put me in mind of the Pokemon Center

Like others have said, Advent Children is probably the next best step, especially since it's the most easily available entry in the compilation that this point. I would really recommend reading this first though, if money isn't an issue:
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-VII-Way-Smile/dp/1975382358

And if it is, TLS' audiobooks are a pretty enjoyable way to listen to them. Particularly Case of Shinra, imo.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Apocalyse is a badass sword. And it's part of a sidequest you definitely should do.

Man, the sidequests in FFVII are some of my favorites in the series.

Just wait until you do Chocobo Racing and meet Joe :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

You gotta get the ultimate summon materia, dude. Knights of the Round is... An experience. Only two other summons in Final Fantasy come close to that materia's power and summon time.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Reno, Rude and Elena definitely remind me of an edgier Team Rocket.

Startin' evil shit. Getting their ass whoop'd. And blastin' off again. :monster:

Comedic relief, except actually threatening and villainous.

Oh yeah, another question @ThatGuyMikey

Did you fight the Turks one last time in Midgar, or did you walk away? I fought their asses and mug'd them, you should always steal from the Turks because that's what they're good for lol

I saw this trailer on a PS1 demo disc

My brother owned a PS1, I was an N64 kid. After this trailer I knew I had to get a PS1 as well. Shit blew my mind.

You know, if I had seen that trailer, I probably wouldn't have thought Sephiroth was a good guy when first beginning FFVII :monster:

LivingLegacy

Pro Adventurer
As a seven year old in 1997, my friend jeff and I discovered FF7 in his Dad’s secret stash of “adult games” while he was away at work on night shift. We’d secretly play it while he was at work. The plot was so over my head at the time, but I fell in love with the characters, music, story, graphics, etc immediately. It took us I think three or four years to beat it. We had no strategy guide. And our other two friends josh and zac were competing with us to see who could beat it faster. I’ll never forget one time we stayed the night at zacs house and we let him start a new game. And he “accidentally” saved over our master file for his new game (we were at the huge materia quest). We were LIVID.

D

Deleted member 13557

I will admit, I could meme about the length of supernova all day, but it definitely made my jaw drop. The music, the reveal of Safer•Sephiroth, and that move all provoked verbal reactions.

LivingLegacy

Pro Adventurer
As a seven year old in 1997, my friend jeff and I discovered FF7 in his Dad’s secret stash of “adult games” while he was away at work on night shift. We’d secretly play it while he was at work. The plot was so over my head at the time, but I fell in love with the characters, music, story, graphics, etc immediately. It took us I think three or four years to beat it. We had no strategy guide. And our other two friends josh and zac were competing with us to see who could beat it faster. I’ll never forget one time we stayed the night at zacs house and we let him start a new game. And he “accidentally” saved over our master file for his new game (we were at the huge materia quest). We were LIVID.

it took about two years for us to get to aeriths death. And by then, I had been attached to her for so long. I used to ponder the story all the time while at school and how the story would unfold. And As cheesy as this sounds, when she died, it truly felt at the time like I had lost a friend that id known a long time. It hit me so hard as a kid.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The reaction people have to witnessing Sephiroth seemingly annihilate the fucking solar system in his attempt to kill you is one of my favorites things about FFVII.

Every villain in FF since has that one attack that's visually on a cosmic level, but Sephiroth's... Sephiroth's Supernova was the first. Thanks to it taking advantage of the Playstation's graphic capabilities.

Funnily enough, Sephiroth isn't the first angel type final boss though. Imagine my surprise at seeing that for myself... :monster:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I will admit, I could meme about the length of supernova all day, but it definitely made my jaw drop. The music, the reveal of Safer•Sephiroth, and that move all provoked verbal reactions.
The first time I got hit with Super Nova, the damage numbers of the characters lined up so well it looked like 823456237821 damage or something, that was a pants-shitting moment lol.

Fun fact: super nova does gravity damage so it can't kill you, if you has 1 HP it'd do 0 damage. The status effects are what make it dangerous.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
My fight against Safer Sephiroth never lasted long enough for him to cast it twice.

Then again, I fought him after slaying all Weapons, obtaining everyone's ultimate weapons, owning Knights of the Round, and getting everyone to Level 99, so the final battle was like this...

Surprisingly underwhelming. :monster:

D

Deleted member 13557

My fight against Safer Sephiroth never lasted long enough for him to cast it twice.

Then again, I fought him after slaying all Weapons, obtaining everyone's ultimate weapons, owning Knights of the Round, and getting everyone to Level 99, so the final battle was like this...

Surprisingly underwhelming. :monster:

How do you get to lvl 99? Just consistent grinding?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I ran through the Northern Crater over and over for days, killing Movers and Master Tonberries until my materia was mastered and I was level 99!!!!! :wacky:

Because I wanted to kill those fucking Weapons and make sure Sephiroth didn't hurt me!!!

Top Bottom