FF7 Remake "Multi part series"

I see no reason to be upset about these news (yet). Episodic releases sounds like a more manageable development process, at least in my own intuition. I have never played an episodic game nor do I know the common consequences of this format. I also don't mind if Square earns more money this way. After all these years they are FINALLY making the FFVII remake, so I will gladly throw extra money at them.

This reminds me of when I first got my copy of FFVII but didn't have a memory card, so I played through the beginning segments over and over and over. I'm so going to replay the first episodes (in particular) over and over in a similar fashion :D

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
This is probably why we saw SO much SO soon. I wasn't expecting the trailer that was released... Maybe they're really focusing on one area to release it, so that they can have more time to release future areas..? Then again, if they release the game the way we're discussing, what relevance will the 20th anniversary hold? They can't possibly finish releasing all the episodes by then if they're to have the standard we're expecting.

... *sniff* ... ...hold me. :cloudstairs:

I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone actually use this emote in a way that's relevant to the conversation.

Good show.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Anyone catch this yet? This is the Japanese SE site announcement, and it supposedly has a bit more info than the other sites have currently, though it's pretty much all in Japanese and I can't read it. http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2015/html/a61ffe6d774f163c152cf7b477f52cb9.html

This line is what we're probably looking for:

そしてPlayStation®4で生まれ変わる「FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE」は、フルリメイクを行うにあたり内容の多くを見直し、分作として制作を進めております。詳細については、情報のアップデートができるタイミングでお知らせいたしますので、どうぞご期待ください。

Insofar as I can tell, it's just saying that because if the sheer volume of doing a full remake, they're looking at releasing it episodically, and they'll have updates on specifics later, so stay tuned.

Hito or someone can probably get more accurate specifics.

X :neo:

Lex

Administrator
I want to see Lex's face when he wakes up to this news :D

Lucky you, I haven't slept yet!

I feel like we don't know enough. Though that hasn't stopped a cycle of emotions taking place since reading about it, ranging from Splintered to Tenny (but no Channy I'm afraid).

I feel however Force feels. Which as far as I can tell is bitterness that the penny may have finally dropped masked with appearing to casually observe the goings-on with humour.

e.suna

little nerdling
I calmed down as I read through this thread.

If it's released in episodes like a Telltale Game, fine, whatever.

The part I got hung up on was "each entry providing its own unique experience." Does that mean each entry is just telling the next part of the story? Or does it mean, as I initially understood it, doing some cross-platform shit with each entry like with the Compilation or something? That the episodes are different...UNIQUE from each other somehow??

Need more details!! They shouldn't have announced this with so little detail :scared:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I love how this news was three hours old when I got to this thread -- and no one had thanked the opening post yet. When I saw that, my thought was, "Well that just says it all, don't it?" =P

My reaction is pretty subdued, honestly. We'll get the whole of the content in the same timeframe; we'll just get some of it faster than other parts.

I've been a comic book fan my whole life. This isn't new territory.

Anyone catch this yet? This is the Japanese SE site announcement, and it supposedly has a bit more info than the other sites have currently, though it's pretty much all in Japanese and I can't read it. http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2015/html/a61ffe6d774f163c152cf7b477f52cb9.html

This line is what we're probably looking for:

そしてPlayStation®4で生まれ変わる「FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE」は、フルリメイクを行うにあたり内容の多くを見直し、分作として制作を進めております。詳細については、情報のアップデートができるタイミングでお知らせいたしますので、どうぞご期待ください。

Insofar as I can tell, it's just saying that because if the sheer volume of doing a full remake, they're looking at releasing it episodically, and they'll have updates on specifics later, so stay tuned.

Hito or someone can probably get more accurate specifics.
Basically that.

I love how it ends with どうぞご期待ください /"please be excited." :monster:

Pixel

The Pixie King
There's going to be an 8 page interview in Famitsu this week. Hopefully we can get an exclusive translation up on the site to bring in traffic

Lex

Administrator
Well no but more traffic is never a bad thing Channy XD

EDIT: I'm going to sleep, giving blood to the doc in a couple of hours so after a short nap I'll give my full thoughts on the whole possible episodic thing.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
What I'm here for. :monster:

I just thought it was funny because it seemed to sum up the general sentiment that no one was happy to get this news.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
There's going to be an 8 page interview in Famitsu this week. Hopefully we can get an exclusive translation up on the site to bring in traffic

That might actually be a good thing to tease on the main page at the end of the Episodic news article, so people'll be looking forward to news from the interview.

X :neo:

roku

Pro Adventurer
Translation from Neogaf. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188228069&postcount=3107

- About the details of splitting the game into episodes, please tell us more.

Kitase: From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game.Althought it's impossible to tell you the details about the splitting at the moment, please wait for our further announcement.

Nomura: If we tried to stuff the whole game into one release, some part of the game would have to appear as digests. We'd have to remove some contents from the game, and it would be difficult to add more to the game. Considering that a full remake of the original game must be achived, we have decided to split the game into episodes.

Kitase: Taking the No.8 street shown in the video this time, even just this is already highly dense. If we are to remake the content of the original version at that quality, it would have been impossible to do with a single release.

Splitting the original version into episode with nothing dropped, as well as adding complements, and remaking the game the game in its full volume is what we are thinking.

- How will the battle system look like?
Kitase: Unlike the encounter battles in the original version, we were aiming for a seamless active battle like shown in the video.

Nomura: Regarding the speed of the combat, as well as the sensation of tempo, we have considered something alongside Dissidia FF that you can play without stress. The degree of action would feel like Dissidia FF > KH > FF7 Remake.

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
Side-eyeing this development a little bit, but I'm all for FFVII being as massive and complete as possible.

As for the issue of buying it in separate installments (if that hasn't been addressed yet), they'll probably offer a reduced price to buy all the episodes in advance so you can just download them as they're released.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
As long as these episodes can be played 'seamlessly', perhaps all can be installed at once and played with just one disc in the drive if you own them all.

A release plan I'd like to see

Episode I: Q4 2016. Midgar to Nibelheim flashback. I feel restricting it to Midgar would make the game feel too linear and people wouldnt want to come back for more. Ending the first episode with Sephiroth and Cloud's story would be a stronger finish then the Shinra Tower escape IMO. And Im not sure how just the Midgar sequence alone could be worth a full episode/release unless it was hyper detailed or they're planning to release a bunch of 'mini' episodes.

Episode II: Q4 2017. Kalm to Forgotten City. A large bulk of the game. Ending after the events of the Forgotten City would provide a perfect conclusion to this episode.

Episode III: Q4 2018. Forgotten City to Ending.

I dont know I just think you cant break it up smaller then that, considering episodes are likely to be fully priced titles. We all love FF7 but I cant imagine many people wanting to buy 5-10 parts of the game for full price.

If this ends up being like FF7 on the PS1 with Disc 1, Disc 2, and Disc 3 except each disc is released at a later date then IMO its not a big deal. If anything it means we get the game faster, but at a price. A price Im willing to pay.

Last edited:

e.suna

little nerdling
Re: the translation roku shared:

Wow, I didn't consider that it would be impossible to fit the whole game into one without sacrificing anything.

Nomura seems to be uncompromising in his vision of delivering a remake without dropping anything from the original. If anything, it sounds like he wants to add stuff (maybe Compilation nods?). He really seems to want to make the fans happy.

I look forward to kicking a soccer ball at Nanaki in full HD next-gen glory...

wayfarer

ACF Refugee
AKA
Fenrir/Cerberus
I look forward to kicking a soccer ball at Nanaki in full HD next-gen glory...

When I found out that all of the characters were playable I completely forgot that that includes walking around as a big red super cat.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Translation from Neogaf. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188228069&postcount=3107

Nomura: If we tried to stuff the whole game into one release, some part of the game would have to appear as digests. We'd have to remove some contents from the game, and it would be difficult to add more to the game. Considering that a full remake of the original game must be achived, we have decided to split the game into episodes.

Kitase: Taking the No.8 street shown in the video this time, even just this is already highly dense. If we are to remake the content of the original version at that quality, it would have been impossible to do with a single release.

Splitting the original version into episode with nothing dropped, as well as adding complements, and remaking the game the game in its full volume is what we are thinking.

I think this should put a lot of skepticism to rest for now. They seem aware of the expectations held by fans and want to deliver the best possible experience. Yes, they're also doing it for the $$$, but at least now the entire game will be at the same level of detail as Midgar.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Yeah, as I read the news (on Twitter) I immediately thought that since they wanted to add stuff, it was a good idea actually. I don't mind something in several episodes if it means it'll be the most complete experience.

Thanks for the interviews, guys :)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fa...nnect2-collaboration-more#uBsK2VKEogietZV5.99

This article has translations of the just recently published Famitsu and Dengeki Online interviews with Nomura and Kitase.

And for speculation this is how I would personally like to see the release and episodes broken down (presuming they are all released within the PS4's generation lifetime):

2017-Episode 1 would either finish with the end of the Midgard arc and Midgard would be fully expanded and explorable or end in Kalm after finishing the Nibelheim flashback.

2018-Episode 2 end at the death of Aerith and the end of disc 1.

2019-Episode 3 end after the first fight with Weapon and Cloud's return.

2020-Episode 4 would be the return to Midgard return to North Crater plus end game extra stuff.

Last edited:

Vito

Lv. 25 Adventurer
This is a deal breaker.

I'm not buying this if the whole game is not on a complete single retail package with actual disc(s).

Last edited:

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
Bastards couldn't even let me be in a good mood for 2 days... Surly once you get the tiny bronco they are going to have to have built the whole map anyway. At least I know why it still doesn't have a fancy name.

Final fantasy 7: the hallway of broken dreams

Top Bottom