• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Fanfiction

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
*uses Phoenix Down*

Posted this in the Fan-Art thread, but might as well post it here where it belongs...

Accurate Nomenclature

Summary:

""...we still don’t have a comprehensive grasp of the Ancient syllabary, even with the work Doctor Valentine has done on the Western Continental sites, but this part," she continued, pointing to a string of three characters graven in obsidian, "is definitely the name, and the consensus is that it reads Je-no-va."

"Jenova," Gast echoed. "Do we have any idea what it means?""

Agrippa

Pro Adventurer
While I do appreciate the likes or thanks I've been given, what I'm really interested in are actual replies. Coming from other forums, ones without likes, thumbs up or thanks buttons, I don't really put much weight on such things. I just want your opinions on the Final Fantasy VII crossover fanfics I posted links to.

I haven't played Mass Effect or Dragon Age, so I wouldn't read those fics. Maybe you could explain what it is about them that you find particularly appealing?

Agrippa

Pro Adventurer
For one, I finished reading Champions and Heroes a whole year before I played even one Dragon Age game Dragon Age Inquisition. Come to think of it Champions and Heroes helped convince me to go looking for a Dragon Age game in the first place. I also haven't played a single Mass Effect game, yet I'm a big fan of TheScreamingViking's Mass Effect/Final Fantasy VII crossovers.

What I like most about Champions and N7 SOLDIER are their naturalistic dialogues, well done use of the "fish out of water" trope and how it might effect the setting of FF VII and the interaction between the heroines, Dragon Age's Marian Hawke in Champions and Commander Shepard in N7 SOLDIER, and the various Crisis Core characters, including the allies both draw to themselves, though both stories go different routes.

In Champions and Heroes, Hawke arrives on Gaia, unconscious, in the slums of Midgar, only to be found be a certain 15 year-old girl and her step mother then nursed back to health. Later on Hawke becomes that girl's mentor and protector for a while. N7 SOLDIER opens with Shepard having to decide the fate of the known universe at the Crucible, then waking up just outside a Shinra military base in Junon, then punching out a Shinra trooper over his crack about "the computers fighting back".

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
Stuck in Reverse by Lily10 / absence makes the heart bleed faster by puertoricanjane on ffnet are absolute favourites of mine. I can't currently post links because of a newbie restriction, but I love a good, angsty Tifa-centric fic :-)

Might anyone have recommendations of a similar vein?

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
So I just tried to start re-reading "By A Fraction of a Degree". Don't know how successful I'll be, I don't nearly have enough time as I use to in the past.

Remember starting to read it at the end of my 8th grade year and the author wasn't even finished it, and wouldn't be finished until the middle of freshman year. Remember loving the crap outta of it, and the nostalgia is kind of hitting me again.

_____
If anyone has other fics like Fraction let me know.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
So I just tried to start re-reading "By A Fraction of a Degree". Don't know how successful I'll be, I don't nearly have enough time as I use to in the past.

Remember starting to read it at the end of my 8th grade year and the author wasn't even finished it, and wouldn't be finished until the middle of freshman year. Remember loving the crap outta of it, and the nostalgia is kind of hitting me again.

_____
If anyone has other fics like Fraction let me know.

I favorited By A Fraction of a Degree because I loved it so much too, and thankfully the story is now finished; two years worth of writing I recall. I would catch up until it was finished even when I had other things in life I had to do. You'll enjoy it.

There is another FFVII fanfic that I like, which is set after Dirge of Cerberus, "The Planet's Enemy" which also gives us the author's own idea about where the game's secret ending would take place.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5454968/1/The-Planet-s-Enemy

Gave you a link just in case.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
i wrote an entire series of the week seph locked himself in the library and cloud and zack had to make do in the meantime. i wrote it when i was like 17(?) and never dreamed up publishing it but now i'm considering it. i gotta find my notebook though...

TooManyFandoms

Uses the internet
The Fifth Act left a hole in my life and I need recs D:

Filters:

- Cloud centric
- Faithful to the OG, canon divergence/ alt ships OK
- Lengthy
- Well written

A couple of years late but I've got a newer, pretty awesome fic. It's definitely my favorite right now and you can tell that the author is putting a lot of effort into it.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/11203020/chapters/25021662

It's post AuFFVII, If you want FFVII but with more sci/fi and spookier aspects then this is definitely for you. I really recommend that anyone who sees this tries a chapter or two.

SoZettaSlow

Hackermens extraordinaire
AKA
Yoshikage Kira
Alright, You guys convinced me I'm going to write a Don x Cloud fanfic for everyone to enjoy.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
The Fifth Act left a hole in my life and I need recs D:

Filters:

- Cloud centric
- Faithful to the OG, canon divergence/ alt ships OK
- Lengthy
- Well written

A couple of years late but I've got a newer, pretty awesome fic. It's definitely my favorite right now and you can tell that the author is putting a lot of effort into it.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/11203020/chapters/25021662

It's post AuFFVII, If you want FFVII but with more sci/fi and spookier aspects then this is definitely for you. I really recommend that anyone who sees this tries a chapter or two.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am obsessed with this one. So good! Poor Cloud! I didn’t check for updates for a long while because I wanted my next read-through to be nice and long, so I finally downloaded a big ol’ PDF all at once and it was nearly 250,000 words in length and at the end of that read, the author was like,

“ALMOST TO THE HALFWAY POINT GUYS.”

Omg, what else is at stake????????? Who gonna die??? I’m so nervous and just want everything to be alright in the end but
I’m pretty sure we’re dealing with an eldritch horror? Like wtf was Reno’s death? And given what’s happened with the team on earth, like, I feel like tifa and cloud are a bit fucked.
. So good!

Phantom

Rookie Adventurer
I just saw this thread and I had to make some recommendations, most, if not all, are somewhat Cloti fanfics but mostly from the point of Cloud:

Anchor - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4727698/1/Anchor - I haven't read this one in a while, but I always remember the title. The story left a good impression on it. It takes place 2 years after AC ,is canon to the compilation and the characters are in character in my opinion which is one of my personal favorites when a writer keeps true to that sort of thing. It's well written and provides insights to the characters minds. I highly recommend this fic.

Like Metal in Water - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3848831/1/Like-Metal-in-Water - A dark Cloud/Tifa fic, takes place 2 years after DoC, and is about Cloud choosing the mercenary life after things don't work out Tifa. Gory, keeps you on the edge of your seat (at least it did for me lol), keeps true to the characters (IMO) and the mythology of the FFVII compilation. I find it an an interesting take/divergence from the typical happy endings stories and also how Cloud takes a non-typical path of a 'hero'. Very good read. If you like angst, this is one of those. XD

I also recommend after reading Like Metal in Water reading the sequels; one is written from Cloud's point of view 'Beneath the Rust' - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12381976/1/Beneath-the-Rust and another sequel that follows alongside the same timeline as Beneath the Rust but is from Denzel's point of view 'At the Water's Edge' - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12458785/1/At-the-Water-s-Edge . They very good follow-ups.

Chasing Daylight - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4388621/1/Chasing-Daylight - A short fic; Cloud deals with the death of Tifa sometime after AC/DoC I would imagine, it doesn't make too clear where along the timeline this takes place. Angsty at first but hope grows as the story progresses. I thought it was nice fanfic about acceptance with living and dying.

The Only Remedy - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11787623/1/The-Only-Remedy - An awesome, short fic focusing on Cloud and Elmyra's relationship (not a romantic relationship) after Aerith/Aeris' death and how she gradually grows to accept Cloud into her life again. Short but sweet fic, definitely a must-read. Follows canon/compilation timeline.

Reduced to Specimens - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4257079/1/Reduced-to-Specimens - I'm pretty sure this has been recommended. But just in case it hasn't...Takes place during the time Cloud and Zack where in Nibelheim and also the time between their escape up until Zack makes his last stand before Midgar. I thought it was a pretty interesting take on what happens during the time Cloud and Zack were experimented on, in my opinion it really solidifies why/how Cloud and Zack are so close. In my opinion, while Crisis Core provided a basis for their relationship, this really brings it together. I also enjoy how the writer spares no expense showing how crazy Hojo is, since I also feel this is something that was glossed over in Crisis Core and didn't go into much detail (maybe perhaps due to space limitations or just not wanting to explore that side of Zack's story.)

Anyways, I have other recs but most of them are short stories. Hope y'all enjoy.

TooManyFandoms

Uses the internet
@Phantom Thanks for the recs! I really loved The Only Remedy, the characters felt really real and it was swiftly added to my favorites :D

Anyways, also reviving this thread because this fic made me cry yesterday, not many fics do that, so I thought you all might be interested in it:

'Stay' https://archiveofourown.org/works/553034 It's mainly about Zack speaking to Cloud from the lifestream, giving him advice, confiding in him, reflecting. It's kind of ambiguous, so it could be taking place either during Advent Children, or when Cloud gets mako poisoning #2. It gave me some feels so I hope ya'll can check it out

Phantom

Rookie Adventurer
@TooManyFandoms 'Stay' was an great fanfic! It was written in a interesting perspective, and just overall style. It had a nice voice that I felt fit Zack's character. I also enjoyed it because I felt I could relate with the whole kick in the butt Zack was giving Cloud. :)

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Out of curiosity, what's used more these days? I've got all my stuff on FF.net (since that's what I used prior to my long hiatus from fanfictioning) but considering migrating my more recent stuff over to AO3.

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
Honestly, I only ever see people posting stuff to Ao3, but I'm by no means an expert haha. There's definitely a lot of traffic over there, though, so if you're posting stuff for fandoms you're more than likely to get at least some hits :D

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
I think one of the reasons behind the creation of Ao3 was to make a place where creators could share works with adult themes without a risk of them being taken down, etc, which I believe was an issue at times on FF.net. As long as you're 18 or over, there's no problem with perusing adult content (especially of the fictional variety) at you own discretion. Ao3 makes it super easy to filter out any works with content you'd rather not see I think it's pretty well put together, honestly.

Top Bottom