FFVII: For All Gaia’s Children – Tribute to Abandoned Fangame Project *SPOILERS*

Further Musings on the SP/MP/AP Design Challenge

The intention on my part was for each playable character to have two or three available Accessory slots. Materia would be equipped as an accessory. This stands in contrast to the original game and Crisis Core where materia has their own separate menus and will usually have more than two-three slots available, though in those cases never at the sacrifice of an Accessory slot, which would be the case in FGC.

What bothers me then in this visualization is that because of materia being peripheral in customization and battles, rather than central, the MP value of playable characters could easily become a number that takes up space but is rarely used. My annoyance at this visualization is purely aesthetical but I can't shake the feeling that the MP value, next to a character's HP, AP and Limit Bar, gain the appearance of a rotting appendix.

"Why don't you like that the MP value is ignored?"
"Because it's taking up needless space!"

This is not only an aesthetical concern though. With the MP value being rarely employed in battle (again, we are assuming that battles focus more on limit breaks and special abilities) it also means that the MP restorative item 'Ether', a defining Final Fantasy aspect, will rarely be used.

I estimate that most people who read this will think that I'm seeing a problem where there isn't one. My counter-argument is that one should try to make the most out of their character growth- and battle system designs. I want MP to be something more than in the previously visualized system, because the MP value signifies a feeling of "magic" and "fantasy". What then is my shocking suggestion?

Link the Limit Bar and the MP value.

Using graphics from the original game as a base for this one.

f1qKWll.png

Before I go into analysing this hastily proposed system in the context of FFVII's lore and past mechanics, let me point out some of the consequences of this system (where it is also suggested that higher limit levels is something you build up towards, kind of like Cyan's SwdTech/Bushido moves).

- Resting at an Inn will have to either restore no MP or only up to a limited maximum, say 25 or 50 MP and then resting at an Inn again won't restore any more MP.

- Ethers, Elixirs, Megalixirs, Tents and other MP restorative items can now be (ab)used for building up your limit gauge.

- Both the restorative methods above, as well as any MP draining abilities, will have to be adjusted so that inns are expensive, items are rare and/or expensive and MP draining abilities are weak and rare. Otherwise, the player will spend most of their time abusing the system and using limit breaks ad nauseum.

- The choice to increase the MP divide between Limit Levels (100 MP for Lv1 limit breaks, 150 more MP for Lv2, 250 more MP still for Lv3) is a way to make it more difficult for players to cheat their way up to high-level limit breaks via the use of Ethers.

- With magic spells and limit breaks drawing from the same gauge, the player will sometimes have to choose between using magic or striving for a limit break.

- In accordance with a part of FFVII's lore, where materia is something that is usually created from an unnatural process and keeps spirit energy out of the natural cycle of the lifestream, it fits that the player feels punished for choosing magic when they could have gone for a limit break instead.

- In order to be consistent, enemies in battle would also need to have MP equated to limit break energy. What I would do is give some enemies only the numerical MP value, while most bosses and some enemies will have limit break gauges. The presence of a limit gauge, which then builds depending on the mechanics for how your and your enemy's limit gauge is filled, will highly influence your battle strategy when you strive to prepare for or avoid the enemy's looming limit break.

In short: Yes, there is precedence.

The longer story:

In Scene 9 of the PlayOnline story mode, Shelke uses one (or two, the translation is a bit confusing) technique called "Technical Cancel". This move cancels the other character's limit break, or as Shelke puts it, makes all techniques useless. After performing a copy strike, Shelke admits that the move consumes a lot of magical power but that she is able to use it in the scene's location due to the high concentration of mako.

In a gameplay recording of the DC PlayOnline mode, Shelke's copy strike attack is coupled with the DC version of limit break animations (see 01:47, 02:10 and 02:31).

As far as I can tell then, mako is equated to magical power and limit breaks here. When you think about it this isn't a big stretch of the imagination. To become a SOLDIER and gain enhanced strength the individual is bathed in mako. Mako is the life blood of the planet, which is equated to spirit energy and life itself. Condensed mako is also what turns into materia: Magical orbs.

Albeit vaguely defined, the Crisis Core Complete Guide Keyword collection defines limit breaks as the following:
When your spirit energy rises to its ultimate limit, for a short while it aligns with and emits from your body. Furthermore, Zack is unusual in that he can copy Limit Breaks, such as taking Aerith’s “Healing Wind” Limit Break from FFVII and turning it into his Limit Break “Healing Wave”. In the same way, Cloud takes his Limit Break “Meteor Rain” from the original Limit Break Zack created based on him called “Meteor Shot”.

Thusly, any form of division between different forms of life energy (HP, MP, AP, Limit Bars etc) is arbitrary. The qualities of mako, spirit energy, life energy or what-have-you are broad enough to also be justifiably adapted into many different forms of battle- and stat mechanics.

The original Japanese version of Dirge of Cerberus directly linked the magic bar with limit breaks.

You can observe in the video below (uploaded by me to demonstrate a version difference) at 0:12 how half of Vincent's magic bar is expended in order to transform into Galian Beast. Notice how the bar is divided in two halves to show when Vincent can transform. Your MP/Limit bar is then slowly consumed as you stay in the Galian Beast form. If you had an unlimited amount of MP restorative items, you could stay in his beast form indefinitely. However, you could only carry a maximum of 2 Ethers at any given time, 1 Elixir, 5 Red Ethers, 5 Spirit Rations etc which you wanted to use both for limit breaks and magic anyway so abusing the system is almost never a problem that manifests.

This mechanic was scrapped for all later versions and replaced with the "Limit Breaker" item which made Vincent turn into Galian Beast for 43 seconds.

In conclusion...

1) your degrees of freedom when choosing systems for the stats, magic and special moves are greater than they might initially seem. I am equally justified to make it so that Limit Gauge = MP = AP, though currently I haven't experimented enough in my mind to see how it might work if the "special moves which expend AP" were to be equated with the Limit Gauge system.

2) both the character building system and the battles would become way more interesting if MP was directly linked to a limit bar. It confirms, in my mind, my intuition that the system becomes more beautiful, intricate and enjoyable when more parts are integrated, rather than isolated as was the original conception.

This should give the reader an intimate idea of how each and every idea for FGC, be it for story or for gameplay, were considered with the greatest care so to increase the probability that a manifested version of the idea would express the precisely proper Final Fantasy VII atmosphere. :hohum:

Last edited:
A current list of updates made to the starting post of this thread since it came online a week ago. Just to make sure that even those who dived into everything immediately don't miss anything.

1) Tres remembered that we forgot to include the sidequest/sideplot involving Elder Bughe in Costa del Sol and promptly wrote that into the Locations, NPCs & Quests document. Good man. *thumbs up*

2) Inside the "Miscellaneous Notes on (a few) Monsters & Bosses" spoiler tag, Tres added the "Bizarro Chaos" sketch drawn by Dipsiel, who also made the first refined drawing of the Scavenger Edge sword. I imagine Bizarro Chaos to have a way more monstrous, corrupt and "deteriorating" appearance, but what the sketch gets absolutely right is the blending of various elements, which is necessary because we are combining
Lucrecia, Sephiroth, Chaos and Bizarro Sephiroth
and want all these elements to be clearly visible.

3) FGC logo with white background, in the appropriate spoiler tag, added by Tres.

4) In Dirge of Cerberus, Shelke is shown using the Shield materia not just to generate her own barrier but also to trap an enemy (see 0:52 and 02:40). She traps Azul twice, the first trap may or may not have contributed to cancelling Azul's transformation. Such a spell is not available from this materia in the original FFVII game.

Because of this observation I envision that the Shield materia has two spells: "Shield" and "Shield Trap". The latter spell will be useful when you want to freeze an enemy in place even when they are immune to the Stop status effect. The downside is that, being trapped in a shield, you can't damage your opponent. Ergo, the Shield Trap is for desperate situations where you need a breather, for example during a tough boss fight, so that you can restore your party while the enemy is frozen in the Shield Trap.

The Items & Equipment document has been updated with notes about this new feature of the Shield materia. This idea was an old one that I had merely forgotten to write down.

5) If I recall correctly, Tres imagined that Vincent's new gun was a singel-barrel shotgun. My vision leaned towards Vincent using a rifle but ultimately I felt, and still feel, indecisive. Then again, maybe he should have both? :monster: Anyway, you can see this split in direction as Crim's first Vincent sketch hints at a rifle while Crim's first color sketch shows a singel-barrel shotgun.

Choice of weapon aside, the name I conceived for Vincent's new gun was "Baskerville". Although Baskerville is technically the family that thought they were haunted by a demonic hound, the Baskerville name is intimately associated with the hound itself. Having the name of Vincent's gun linked to a one-headed demonic hound feels like an appropriate choice now that he is no longer using the three-headed Cerberus.

The only risk I see with the name "Baskerville" is that we are playing up Vincent's refined and clean (and British?) style to the point of exaggeration. I think its link to the demonic horror element compensates but your mileage may vary.

The Items & Equipment document has been updated with a mention of the Baskerville.

Last edited:
CrimsonSun has now posted about FGC on their facebook! Read Crim's notes on each piece of concept art for FGC as well as check out all the other work by this amazing artist!

CrimsonSun said:
A little while ago I was involved in the production of an awesome post-canon FFVII fan-game, the premise of which takes place ten years after Meteorfall. Unfortunately the project was too massive to finish, but what content exists is truly spectacular. Shademp and Tres, the directors, were fantastic to work with! ...
I was 'concept artist', so here are my... concept arts. You'll find a few more by clicking on the link above. Be sure to read everything - FGC is one of the best FFVII stories I've read, and I've read a lot of fics in my day!

There is also Crim's Tumblr which deserves exposure. I could not imagine any other person drawing the concepts and cutscene cards for FGC.

I first found CrimsonSun's portfolio via their DeviantArt account though. The pieces that immediately convinced me of Crim being 100% the right choice was Tiger's Teeth and You Call Yourself Human. The former showed Crim's ability to draw and color something that feels canon and the latter showed an amazing ability at expressing energy and speed, which would have been essential for many of the game's intended cutscene cards. The game's cutscenes would have used a style similar to that of Mega Man X5 (minus the annoying letter-typing sound).

Crim writes...
Shelke is physically sixteen in FGC. The directors wanted her to have a fancy new SND suit, and the colour scheme was picked as tribute to her sister Shalua. Alongside is her outfit for doing fieldwork.
In actuality Tres and I never decided on a physical age for Shelke. It wasn't a conscious decision, at least not on my part. Whatever physical age you place Shelke as, I imagine that she will always have a small frame as a result of years of mako baths, though her body is supposed to have grown and matured quite a deal since she stopped being dependant on the mako baths.

Both Shelke and Vincent are very special cases in that they have not aged naturally so any age you place on them is very arbitrary. The reason we write out Vincent's physical age as being roughly 34 is because we wish to show that he has begun to age since he no longer harbors Chaos. In DC his physical age was 27.

Last edited:

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
I was really excited to see you'd asked Crim to do your concept art, he's an amazing artist!
Everyone who worked on this put in some really amazing work and you should all be so proud <3 just because a project doesn't get finished that doesn't take away from the effort you all put in to it and the great talent you all showed.

Crim has made some amazing FFVII playing cards that are so beautiful and orders are open right now http://crimson-sun.tumblr.com/post/135887207386/orders-for-the-ffvii-playing-cards-now-open

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I think this would have been pretty awesome had it come to fruition. I tried to read the plot but googledocs makes my netbook shit it's pants :monster:

If it were me, I'd be tempted to just make it anyway, and just change the names of characters and concepts etc - but obviously include the option for people to insert their own 'correct' names.

Claude, Lisa, Vivian, Martha, Dylan, Shelly, uh... Val and Elle?

Sorry just got carried away there :monster:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Just some random thoughts that popped into my head...

I was playing the final segment of Bravely Second last night and it suddenly brought this project to mind and some of the problems that you were inevitably encountering - and attempting to work out - due to the core nature of it being a sequel / continuation. Bravely Second does what everyone else does by resetting the original characters and their skills back to square one, and it is very jarring and does cause some dissonance. In a subquest of the game, there is a moment where
an old ally is injured and helps out in battle in an assistive role, dealing a special move every now and again onto the enemy
. It brought to mind the Champion System that you were trying to implement within the game.

I personally hate the 'reset to level 1' that you get in game continuations, and you are quite right that it is simply absurd to see the veterans fight alongside the new crew at the same power levels, but it is also hitting the other extreme because you can't have a level 50 Vincent fighting alongside a level 1 Marlene.

It's a tough issue, and no matter how contrived it might feel, I believe that some story inclusion to the veterans being weakened is the only real way to get around the issue of having everyone working together in this way. Something like Geostigma would have been perfect, a virus that has weakened the old crew, giving an explanation for their low power level and why we can see the new fighters not get completely overshadowed by them right from the start. It could also tie directly into the Champion System.

So you could have the new crew up front in battles, but the veterans tagging along in an assistive / supportive nature because of their weakened / sick states - with them only able to launch an attack every so often as they follow the newbies on their journey (and an increased rate when their tied-to character is critically injured etc...), and even then, it would only be like a level 25 stat attack. So they would be in the background, and this would allow the newbies to level up and reach a level playing field quickly enough, and then to outstrip them as the veterans get weaker and weaker, but on the flipside, strengthening the Champion System and the bonds between the characters. That also ties into the Dual Limit Break system that you mentioned.

Then in the final end game stages - and the veterans recover - everyone would be on a level playing field.

Anyway, just some a random thought. Don't know how well that would ever work in practice, but it's something I'd like to see games do more off. I really hate the resetting scenario, it's something I personally can never handwave away.

My deepest gratitude to @Cat on Mars for accepting this commission and creating such an epic realization of the Sephiroth-Lucrecia-Chaos fusion that is "Bizarro Chaos". During a moment of nostalgia for this cancelled fangame, which would have taken place seven years after Dirge of Cerberus storywise, I was looking over Cat on Mars's portfolio and I realized she would be a natural fit for creating an appropriate boss monster design. My assessment was correct! Check out some more of her work on patreon and the pledges you can make.

Lore and development history of Bizarro Chaos

Prior to this commission I did not have a clear picture in my head of what Bizarro Chaos actually looked like. The monster stemmed from a desire to include a Sephiroth battle in Final Fantasy VII: For All Gaia's Children (FF7:FGC) but without rehashing a humanoid Sephiroth appearance. The initial draft for the story actually had Sephiroth achieve a complete resurrection and manifest once more just like he did at the end of Advent Children. Sephiroth wreaked a ton of havoc and had plenty of lines. For a number of reasons this idea was scrapped in favor of the Bizarro Chaos scenario.

The beginning of the scenario remained the same that Sephiroth had taken possession over Lucrecia's body and the spirit of Chaos. Cloud, Vincent and a few others enter Lucrecia's cave and stay there in waiting for Genesis (and/or Weiss), whom they know is out for Lucrecia but for reasons still unknown to our protagonists. Vincent senses something from Lucrecia and the crystal, goes closer to investigate...only for Lucrecia's eyes to suddenly open, her eyes green and slitted like Sephiroth's, her arm erupting from the crystal and snatching the Protomateria out of Vincent's chest. (Rosso is probably laughing in her grave at this point :lol:)

I always imagined this moment when Lucrecia opens "her" eyes to look like when the Ganon-possessed Zelda opens her eyes in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Longer story short, with the Protomateria in his possession Sephiroth now has control over Chaos and has enough power to roam the world in Lucrecia's body. This version of Sephiroth has an extremely weakened mind however. Both due to his second defeat in Advent Children and because of having remained ethereal in the lifestream for so long. He is able to move fast in Lucrecia's body if need be but often he ends up dragging Lucrecia's body along with exactly the same grace that a zombie does not have. Sephiroth-Lucrecia can speak at most one or two words but due to how weakened and beastly his mind has become, this Sephiroth is more likely to grunt or even roar (a very unbecoming thing of Sephiroth to do).

The intent with this direction was to "have the cake and eat it too". Approximately half of fans seemed to want Sephiroth to never return beyond Advent Children, the other half desired his return or at least felt it justified due to this line "I will never be (just) a memory". Two camps formed in regards to Sephiroth's parting lines in AC: One camp that felt this was setup, the other that felt it was just a generic "I'LL BE BAAAAACK" villain line that should not be taken seriously.

By having Sephiroth return in FGC, but not be the Sephiroth that we remember, we strived towards that middle way while also making it feel like his defeat in Advent Children had consequence. Half the goal with FGC was to make it feel that each entry of the Compilation was important and that everything had built up to this point in the FFVII universe. Making Advent Children feel redundant would not have achieved that goal.

This theme of "beastly Sephiroth" then reaches its climax when Sephiroth realizes he can't complete his resurrection. In desperation he transforms into the abomination Bizarro Chaos and does a final, FINAL battle with Genesis and Team Cloud (consisting of Cloud, Tifa, Nanaki, Cid and the wounded Vincent). When the battle reaches its end, Genesis uses the "Light of the Goddess" and erase every trace that remains of Sephiroth. No more resurrections. Depending on how you partition the story, this marks either the end of the game's first act or it is pretty close to the first act's ending. Genesis has his own corrupt plans for the planet to enact and erasing Sephiroth for good was only the first part of that plan.

This entire Lucrecia-Sephiroth scenario was all invented by @The Twilight Mexican and I am still amazed at how excellent it is. It connects plot threads from the entire Compilation in a seamless way. Among other things, it makes you feel sorry for Lucrecia even if Dirge of Cerberus soured your opinion of her. For so many years she wanted to hold her child in her arms...only for her to ultimately get possessed and used by him. Lucrecia is killed by Genesis almost immediately after Bizarro Chaos's defeat and in a way it is a mercy killing. A tragic end for a tragic character.

About the yellow core in Lucrecia's abdomen

For reference material, among other things, I sent Cat on Mars the "humanoid Bizarro Chaos" picture that my friend Dipsiel drew all those years ago. This is not how Lucrecia was ever intended to look in FGC, but it was Dipsiel's take on the character after I mentioned what Bizarro Chaos would be a fusion of. In this piece the abdomen is adapted from the giant yellow core that Bizarro Sephiroth has.

While Cat on Mars was working on the commission I realized that this core in the abdominal cavity could in fact be the Protomateria, exposed and visible just like it is in Vincent-Chaos's chest cavity in DoC. Amazingly that thought had never crossed my mind before. I informed Cat about this sudden revelation and she adapted it accordingly into her first sketch for Bizarro Chaos.

The Protomateria in the final painting obviously does not use the color schemes that we recognize from DoC. I very much approve of the color choice because it pops out and creates better contrast and color diversity. A realization that crossed both our minds is that the Protomateria (called the "Ancient Materia" in the Japanese game) could be classified as a "Command" materia which is typically yellow. The materia allows you to "command" Chaos and/or Omega. In a way the Protomateria is like a hyper-specialized "Manipulate" command materia.

There is a curious coincidence of a rabbit hole here though since the concept art appears to show a yellow Protomateria alongside the normal designs.

gsdx_20200805215458.png

Dirge of Cerberus also contains two unused Protomateria models: g006 (large and blue/purple) and g007 (small and yellow). These are the best pictures I can get for now.

g006 (this is also the string name for the Ancient Materia in the concept art picture)
g006.png

g007 (roughly half the width of the g006 model)
g007.png

So the significance of the yellow materia is a bit unclear. Is it a representation of how a graphical effect is meant to be achieved by having both models occupy the same space at once? Interestingly, the final game doesn't use common 3D object models at all for the Protomateria. It uses the particle effects part of the engine instead to render the Protomateria, thus leaving g006 and g007 unused.

Perhaps there was lore behind this? Was the plan to have two materia fuse in order to form the final materia that Deepground would use to control Omega? The Japanese text in the concept art is of little help because of how low-res it is, though perhaps somebody can make some educated guesses as to what some of the kanji are supposed to be?

*2020-08-22 edit: More conclusive analysis on the topic was later posted in the Dirge of Cerberus research thread.

One of the joys of working on FGC way back when was to analyse bits of the FF7 world and lore that you otherwise would not have. This has now been repeated since I am now compelled to view the Protomateria as a type of command materia and it tangentially unravels a mystery found inside Dirge of Cerberus.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
This is why I was gungho about helping you, you have all these interesting ideas. I think the biggest problem with this project is that you were so committed to making it a game. If you reworked it as a fan fic, perhaps with accompanying illustrations like what cat did, it could still work.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
This entire Lucrecia-Sephiroth scenario was all invented by @The Twilight Mexican and I am still amazed at how excellent it is.

And I'm still amazed at how you finessed the chaos (:awesome:) and over-the-top spectacle of my absurd, possibly obscene idea into something more subdued, yet infinitely more poignant. :monster: I'll always be proud of what we achieved with this incomplete project, but most of all, I'll treasure the journey we made of hashing out the details. You never stopped amazing me.

Likewise, @Cat on Mars -- wow. I had seen your image on Twitter already but had not yet found my words. I still haven't.

There are so many details here to pick up and appreciate. You really brought the concept to life. You captured that authentic FF monster design look and feel while also invigorating it with the necessary touches that make it specific to this concept -- and not "just another FF boss monster design." I look at this and really fucking want to fight it in a game.

waw

Pro Adventurer
I just want to say I came across this thread as I've been more active on this forum recently. I downloaded your script/plot document and read through about 70% of it.

I've been wondering about what their original plans for Genesis/Weiss were and I'm not sure we'll really see that come to fruition ever or in any meaningful way... But this was really, really satisfying to read. I have/had a bunch of ideas for how it would go but I certainly missed a few things. I want to compliment a couple of points that just shook me to my core:

-Genesis upgrading the four summons into new weapons. Using the old upgrades and monsters from FF lore. Amazing. Really well done.
-Lucrecia Chaos/Sephiroth, almost underused in some insane ways given Seph's potential, yet it's such a great, great end. I've been thinking Lucrecia would have to be key to Seph's return in some form.
-(I've thought this might play out differently with Lucrecia able to exert her will over the Jenova Cells and actually subsume/destroy Sephiroth and she would mercy kill him in the end. This is quite beautiful though).
-7 Realms of the Planet's memory/final dungeon, very clever and a great to view the planet's history.
-I like the tenuous FFX connections, but nothing that breaks the lore/feeling of the FFVII mythology.
-Rufus and Cloud's talk? Uh, that tugged on some heart strings.
-Genesis's dialog was as flowering and annoying as he was in Crisis Core in a great way. I love that he's over the top and a nerdy geek who tries too hard. This reminds me of the recent revelations of Cloud trying too hard. In some ways all the top SOLDIER peeps had their lives stolen and never matured like normal, so they project and try to pretend to be badass.

Thank you so, so much for sharing this.

Top Bottom