FFVII PSP/PS3

Which Games?

Do you mean FFT?

Amazed that they said there are new scenes in the FFVII International. Scary :(

It is still possible they might just be referring to FFVII International in comparison with the first japanese release. I don't think we're going to see anything new in this release, nor do I hope so.

Kuraudo

Ex-Soldier
AKA
Cloudsoul
It is still possible they might just be referring to FFVII International in comparison with the first japanese release. I don't think we're going to see anything new in this release, nor do I hope so.

Once my Cloudy PS3 arrives and I play through I'll let you know :D

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Which Games?

Do you mean FFT?

Amazed that they said there are new scenes in the FFVII International. Scary :(
FFT and Lunar. I'm not sure what you meant by those having being changed.

That FFVII: International description is the same as the back of the disk version, so I don't think that means anything has been added to the GA version.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I wouldn't rule out a remake completely - just that it won't happen any time soon.

Also mind that they haven't yet remade VI either, just ported it to different systems.

I don't think the staff is thinking "Guys, we can't remake FFVII yet! We have two more games to go! The roman numeral order of remakes must be preserved!"

But it is true, a lot can happen in 7 years. Assuming that a remake should happen within the time frame of the compilation that is.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Maybe it'll never get remade. lol.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
I don't think the staff is thinking "Guys, we can't remake FFVII yet! We have two more games to go! The roman numeral order of remakes must be preserved!"

Well, up until now, they have been consistent with the remakes, remaking FFI first, then II, III and IV.

They simply can't ignore two FF games just to remake VII.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Exactly. Plus, V and VI are a few years older and graphically / technologically less advanced than VII, thus easier and cheaper to remake.

But then, 3 is the only FF game that was ever truly remade, as far as I can tell - I and II got a graphic update for a new system, which was then ported to PS and GC, with the latter getting some extra content. So neither of those were really completely remade.

If a FFV or VI remake is coming up anytime soon - and this would go for VII as well - I don't think they'd do much more than a graphical update.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I don't know, if you compare the NES FF1 and 2 with the PS or PSP versions...that's more than just updating the graphics a bit, they had to redraw all the sprites and backgrounds etc. and added dungeons and shit.
I'd still say it's a complete remake. It might not seem that way because it's "still 2D" but it had to be completely remade to get to that level.

But then, 3 is the only FF game that was ever truly remade

There was a remake of IV as well.

Also, those DS remakes weren't even done by Square-Enix themselves. So it's not like they couldn't start on a VII remake while Matrix Software or whatever they were called tackle on the V and VI remakes.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Never understood the fascination with remakes, especially with FFVII.

I know people would love to see FFVII brought to life with shiny graphics, but that's superficial reasoning for a remake. You should be able to look past the outdated graphics of FFVII and enjoy what is an entertaining game.

As for updating continuity - isn't that a little late? And they haven't been able to adhere with the same continuity within the Compilation itself, so I don't see how a remake will smooth everything together.

I also fear the goofiness and character of the original will not make the transition, and we'll be left with a very pretentious game and misrepresented characters.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
The main reason for wanting a remake is because the original translation is awful, and if they're going to revamp one aspect of the game they might as well bring other aspects of it up to date as well. I'm not normally that superficial but the polygon graphics really, really bother me. FFVI's sprite graphics look much, much better to me than FFVII's polygon graphics. Hell, I'd actually have to say I almost prefer FFI's sprite graphics to FFVII's polygon graphics.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
It is, in the same way as the SNES version of FFIV's (only to a lesser extent), but I'd still prefer a version with a real translation :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yeah, but usually about stupid things like whether it was Jenova the player was chasing for the entire first disc or whether it was a 'clone' (which further confuses the player as to every other usage of 'clone' throughout the game), which are clearly answered by the Ultimania :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The messed up translation really ruins a lot for me though.

Mind you, the German version is even worse since it was badly translated from the English version which was already badly translated. :monster:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Most of us have access to the Ultimanias, and such, to clear up any confusion where the translation is concerned.

I'm not encouraging bad translations, but FFVII was a one-off, and it's one of those things that gave the game so much character and mystery - if unintentional. I don't think a remake would ever come close to capturing that.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm not so much concerned about the "mystery" the translation created but more about incoherent sentence structures and dialogue that just doesn't flow and sounds incredibly stiff at times. Or characters changing the spelling of their name every now and then. :doh:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
If the original was re-released with a proper translation, would that still necessitate a remake?

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Not entirely, but if they're going to update one aspect of the game they might as well update others as well. Even if they don't bother updating it to PS3 quality, it's still possible for PS graphics to look much better - FFIX and Chrono Cross are proof of that. Though obviously, FFVII wouldn't work with graphics as bright as either of those games', but :monster:

Top Bottom