SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 18 Spoiler Discussion

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
Did Cloud and co. appear on the same cliff where Zack dies? Where is his body, or even the remains of it? :(

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah, it is almost assuredly the same cliff. As for where the body is, according to the official timeline, Zack was killed in late September and the main FFVII story starts at December 9th, so it’s been about 2.5 months, probably enough time for his body to decompose and/or be eaten picked away at by wildlife (same with the Shinra Grunts he killed). Of course that’s assuming that The Planet/Lifestream didn’t expedite the process and dissolve Zack (and maybe the grunts) into Lifestream energy (or depending how much of Crisis Core is being used Angeal helped take Zack into the afterlife/Lifestream).

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
One Winged Angel Rebirth song is fucking epic! I heard it on a video of the sephiroth final Battle and my God they literally took the world's enemy theme from crisis core and made it just damn epic sounding like it should be in a movie! Someone who has an early copy of ffvii or pre order remake soundtrack please upload it! Please!

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
One Winged Angel Rebirth song is fucking epic! I heard it on a video of the sephiroth final Battle and my God they literally took the world's enemy theme from crisis core and made it just damn epic sounding like it should be in a movie! Someone who has an early copy of ffvii or pre order remake soundtrack please upload it! Please!

Any chance I could catch a link to that video? I'm damn curious to hear this one.

If anybody has a link to a video of the Jenova fight, if be cool with that as well

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Any chance I could catch a link to that video? I'm damn curious to hear this one.

If anybody has a link to a video of the Jenova fight, if be cool with that as well
Damnit! Wish I could! If you want to see sephiroth final Battle just go to YouTube and look for Dirk Dirk or type in Final Fantasy VII Remake Sephiroth Final Boss 1 it is split into five videos.

My computer does not share links apparently damnit!

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel

Also it might not be up very long lot of the remake videos I seen have been taken down so my advice is to wait until actual game release or soundtrack is out in may, I don't want you to go and find out it's been deleted and waste time cause of me

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Watched that full ending video...

It's almost impossible for me to not read a heaping dose of meta commentary into... all of Sephrioth's dialogue. Like... I don't even go into "what does this mean for the world of FFVII" territory. I just skip straight to, "lol, cute, he's talking about how the rest of the world doesn't exist because the next game doesn't exist yet and he'll make sure he and Cloud stick around until then" territory. It's really hard to take it to mean anything serious TBH. Hopefully seeing more the lead-up to the end will make it be less eye-roll worthy.

Hearing people in the stream say that from the second-to-last chapter onward they have no idea what's going on in the story... I feel sorry for people who don't have the framework from the OG to go by.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah, the final chapter basically seems like the developers wanted to give the first Remake installment a climax that pseudo-resembles/homages the climax/finale of the OG, but without it actually being the actual finale of the OG/Remake story.

Also the Dirk Dirk guy’s video, he also has one that shows the start of the final boss battle, and it tells us that the big whisper swarm is the second to last boss battle and its name is “Whisper Harbinger”.

Last edited:

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Yeah, the final chapter basically seems like the developers wanted to give the first Remake installment a climax that pseudo-resembles/homages the climax/finale of the OG, but without it actually being the the actual finale of the OG story.
The final Battle was awesome like it came straight from Advent children and kingsglaive ffxv movie. Yeah it was weird but at same time cool yeah the ending was just out of nowhere like

Noble0ne

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Noble
Now that I think about it... Cloud was cutting entire Buildings in half, like butter... Sephiroth was tossing buildings at him like play toys. So this power, It is cutscene only juice huh...

This power, did it come from fear of sephiroth? Cloud went AC level happy.

He's strong already or you a flash of untapped potential

Hell house looked to be the tuffest boss after jenova and sephiroth. That Building slice, would have been a nice, as a villain boss battle HP gate Cut scene then. xD

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Yeah seeing the full ending, I still don't get how people think Zack is alive, but the ending in itself is sure meta and spinning heads with Sephiroth playing with Cloud lol.
It has to do with the watchers being defeated, no? and Zack appearing well in cryptic scenes

pollenainne

Pro Adventurer
Backlash to what? To people making their own interpretations as facts? Oh no! lol. But I'm sure they will put out a statement regardless. Part 2 is still far far away after all.

billy22

Pro Adventurer
Backlash to what? To people making their own interpretations as facts?
I don't know what you're talking about, but I will clarify regardless.

'Backlash' as in changes to the story to the point where the original themes of the series feel lost. An ending that doesn't excite new players for the next entry, but instead confuses the hell out of them. Like someone else said earlier, all this ending did was create anxiety among many older players because of the fear it's not going to be FFVII by the end of the journey. Heck, I'd argue by the conclusion of this game, it doesn't feel like FFVII anymore.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
I will say this again, but there were hundred of ways they could make this interesting for new players, FFVII material is already dense enough.

theres was no need to go as far as add more stuff that completely change the rules of its universe (convoluted stuff) , it feels really unnecessary.

pollenainne

Pro Adventurer
It has to do with the watchers being defeated, no? and Zack appearing well in cryptic scenes
This theory is completely logical, along with the analysis of the Stamp wrapper and alternate timeline theories. And as the watchers of fate are gone, Aerith may yet live. Sephy asking Cloud to defy fate with him? I love it. And people have really awesome imaginations. I can imagine, the writers are tickled silly by all of these. I'm tickled silly by all of it.

However, it could also be that the watchers of faith addition is just there for the characters to catch a glimpse of the future and is simply there to mess with our minds. In the end the key elements of the story will remain unchanged (as was stated in the interview), and hope will just make things that unfold later have greater impact. This is the route I am hoping they will take.

I don't know what you're talking about, but I will clarify regardless.

'Backlash' as in changes to the story to the point where the original themes of the series feel lost. An ending that doesn't excite new players for the next entry, but instead confuses the hell out of them. Like someone else said earlier, all this ending did was create anxiety among many older players because of the fear it's not going to be FFVII by the end of the journey. Heck, I'd argue by the conclusion of this game, it doesn't feel like FFVII anymore.
This is exactly what I was talking about. The anxiety is created simply because we are already making conclusions (although not baseless, it's still just an unproven interpretation). And it is not true that such does not excite new players for the next entry, where did this data come from? There will always be people who will not like this game no matter what. Even if it was a 1:1 rendition, some people will just hate that it doesn't improve or have surprises. I would argue that except for the Sephy fight which was there for fanservice really, the ending where they all stood outside of Midgar made perfect sense.

billy22

Pro Adventurer
This is exactly what I was talking about. The anxiety is created simply because we are already making conclusions (although not baseless, it's still just an unproven interpretation).
I get that it's possible for it to not go downhill. But this is like grabbing an electrified fence every day for five days straight and getting electrocuted, then on the sixth day trying again with the mindset "I'm sure it's turned off this time."

If the ending to this series is satisfying, then I'll buy the PS6 Collector's Remastered Package Edition. But I am not interested in spending $180+ before I find out whether the journey is worth it or not.

And it is not true that such does not excite new players for the next entry, where did this data come from?
The video of the ending pretty much highlighted it. Another poster earlier said new players were going to find it confusing. I've seen posts on Reddit/gamefaqs where newbies are wondering what happened. I know someone who got the game earlier and thinks it's confusing. Bloody hell, I found it confusing.

It's not 'data' sure, but after all of that do you think the majority of new players aren't going to be confused?

There will always be people who will not like this game no matter what.
Yes, but the problem is a core part of the base that was looking forward to the game for a long time is now either not interested, angry, or incredibly anxious about the future direction of the series.

Even if it was a 1:1 rendition, some people will just hate that it doesn't improve or have surprises.
This was never going to be 1:1, that was made clear over four years ago. No one who was onboard for this was expecting otherwise.

It's not change itself that bothers me, it's changing the themes of the series- the primary reason I love the game. Which only further illustrates how out of touch Square is with what made the series beloved to begin with.

I mean, of all the things to add to this game, 'timey-wimey visions of fate' is the best they could come up with? One of the most overused tropes in literature that rarely works right? Seriously?

"Don't fix what isn't broken" comes to mind.

I would argue that except for the Sephy fight which was there for fanservice really, the ending where they all stood outside of Midgar made perfect sense.
That very final scene? Sure that was fine.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
yeah, it alienates fans that expected a remake for more than a decade, and confuses new players.

I dont know how this direction benefits.. anything.

They could add stuff that alluded to certain things changing, or go into it differently avoiding all the drama

A new character appearing at the end.
Jenova having new abilities
Flashbacks alluding to the ancients, what is Jenova, past events
Playable flashbacks with Zack
Fighting a summon invoked by a villain instead of an amalgamation of heartless.
Maybe a brief scene showing that something strange is beginning to happen in the world, bugenhagen pondering about it?

I can think of dozen scenarios that would cause positive excitement and avoid this amount of drama lol

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Wondering if the backlash to this will be great enough that Square/Nomura/Kitase/Nojima will feel the need to soon put out a statement/interview talking about it.

I doubt it. Unless it's extremely poorly received in JP and they receive death threats again or something.

Anyway I don't know what people are talking about if people are saying OG FFVII isn't confusing, that's why there were debates/discussions or ponderings or what nots about all sorts of things for years "was it sephiroth or jenova" "was all humanity wiped out at the end" "was real Cloud still present or aware for disc one/what's a real Cloud, "what's the deal with those blue lights in the city of ancients" (those things bug me to this day :aah:) "what's a guardian of time" "those floating spirit ghost wizard things wild" "what's the story with chocobo sage" "these dream spirit feel things with Aerith to wait we're inside Cloud's mind with Tifa and there's a giant Cloud in the sky what a trip" etc :pinkmonster: There was suspension of belief for alot of things.

Last edited:

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
lol theres another CGI scene alluding to the meteor event, in it Seph apparently kills Tifa and Barret while Midgar gets destroyed.

ancients and the promised land are touched upon in a holographic shinra propaganda

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
So far, I've only seen some tidbits here and there, but i'm loving every bit of it.

Oh, and...

lol theres another CGI scene alluding to the meteor event, in it Seph apparently kills Tifa and Barret while Midgar gets destroyed.

ancients and the promised land are touched upon in a holographic shinra propaganda

...That Neo-Midgar vision is awesome :monster:

Top Bottom